Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

d51984 wrote: »
    Right, doing delivery's tomorrow. Ive bread, milk and toilet rolls and a few other bits to get a person by for a few days. Made up a few bags.

Delivering FREE/No Charge for goods to elderly only who needs it. Ill just leave bag on front door.

If you know anyone who wants a bag pm me. Dublin 5 and 17, but if needs I might be able to go further.

Im just gonna leave bag on doorstep, knock and go. This will reduce contact.

Please dont abuse it, pm for delivery details.

You sir/madam are a ****ing legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    That's complete bull.

It's such a pity, the English ruling class have 'form' when it comes to culling populations.. It's just this is the first time they're doing it to their own..

It's a disgusting call to make, to shrug and say the old/vulnerable/immunocompromised are not worth the effort.

There is no defending it no matter what language they use.
    Economy is king and the wealthy are completely in control.

I see the queen has cancelled her engagements, stopped working.
    But won't give the same benefit to the poor.

Fffssss.

Ok.
    What cull are you referring too, are they not asking the over 60 to isolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

It's such a pity, the English ruling class have 'form' when it comes to culling populations.. It's just this is the first time they're doing it to their own..
    When English people ask me about The Famine, I always try to get in the line "Yea, it was the worst famine in the history of the UK" just to give them something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'm a bit confused about all the fuss about people going out for a walk. I mean, myself and thousands of others are going back to work tomorrow. A Sunday afternoon walk is grand.

Exactly, going for a walk in the open air is fine. This is not going to be over soon. I went for a walk on the beach this afternoon, don't feel I put myself or anyone else at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Anybody who thinks this lockdown thing is going to be for two weeks is in cloud cuckoo land.

It will be at least two months. And that's a minimum.

What odds the schools won't be back til September?

I can see that happening. Hopefully I am totally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Shes completely wrong. Theres a breakdown of fatalities by age group published every few days on the Italian website iss.it under its coronavirus section. Heres the stats when deaths reached 1016. 25 deaths were in the 50-59 age group for example. 6 deaths below 49. Italian doctors have said a few times the average age of death is 80+.

http://www.iss.it/documents/20126/0/Report+per+COVID+2019_ITA_Draft_2020-03-13_FINAL.pdf/6e449e0a-fdb4-0eab-6ed6-91e48250e571?t=1584130380404
    Just because it doesn't kill you, doesn't mean you want to get it.
    https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/news/coronavirus-ct-scans/
    All of the people talking about how it'll only be 0.9% mortality should consider the following:

1. 20% of people will be hospitalised.

2. Many of these will develop Bilateral Interstitial Pneumonia.

3. Even if you survive this episode the long-term consequences can be devastating. There are many types of interstitial lung disease but mean survivals range from 2.5 to 7 years. Let's be optimistic and assume that with this it is 5 to 10 years.

Well, reducing the life expectancy of a large number of people in Ireland to 5 to 10 years and having these years be very limited in terms of their ability to do anything active and maybe people will begin to realise that even if we only have a 1% death rate now having a 9% rate of long-term complications from interstitial Lung Disease reducing life expectancy for this cohort to 5 to 10 years would be utterly devastating to the country and really drop average life expectancy for the next couple of decades.

There's a reason China is doing full lung transplants on survivors already.

People are just far too blase about this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-recovery-damage-lung-function-gasping-air-hong-kong-doctors-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just back from the pub there. Last few pints until this blows over. Great craic and good to see people spirits up despite all the scaremongering. Was an almost Xmas eve feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Don't be ridiculous.

We should ban travel to and from hotspot countries.

To do otherwise would be bordering on national suicide.

Keep the virus out of the country as much as possible and then isolate the skiing fools returning from northern italy or punters from Cheltenham.

The virus is in the country. Anything useful that can be done from now on needs to accept that fact. No point in pretending we won’t have infectious people amongst us. The ‘skiing fools’ and Cheltenham punters have already returned. That horse has bolted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anybody who thinks this lockdown thing is going to be for two weeks is in cloud cuckoo land.

It's not viable we cant stop living for 2 months. What happens then, its starts up with 2 then 10 then 40 people infected and it all begins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

spookwoman wrote: »
    The english ruling class starved their own as well. :rolleyes:

Don't forget WW1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dinner time!

5e29b3ae2030274bc50360af.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Off licences?

Oh god no!

rUbhOuMuBuQNiBDjKkHJW9ZJoeQ=.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

NIMAN wrote: »

You’re not wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm a bit confused about all the fuss about people going out for a walk. I mean, myself and thousands of others are going back to work tomorrow. A Sunday afternoon walk is grand.
    You can't use the word "grand" on this thread but I agree with you. It seems to be advice to be hyper cautious and some will choose to observe that. The current guidelines allow for people to get out and about as long as they employ appropriate social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

All the stats say that school closures are only any use for slowing the spread of a virus if they are implemented for at least 6-8 weeks. 2 weeks wont make a bit of difference. I think that's why some places like the UK and various US states are trying to hold off as long as possible before closing schools. They know they wont be opening again before the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Really?? Have my doubts if there will be a lock down. Judging by some of the comments by Taoiseach and Dep of Health and my own Department I be surprised if there is one, having said that this government has never been big on transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I don't think you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Put your hand in your arse pocket and send some nice food to some Doctors, nurses, etc:

http://www.feedtheheroes.com/

https://www.gofundme.com/f/feed-the-heroes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Okay so for anyone who thought Hmmmm I might buy one of those 3M respirator yokes for the shopping trip when things get a bit worse...well...prepare yourself to be shocked. OUT OF STOCK is what you will see most frequently plus 125 quid at least unless you get on Amazon from what might be a somewhat dodgy dealer - I am still waiting weeks later for the 70% Isopropyl alcohol I so sensibly ordered before everyone thought about it.

So....well, Wibbs, are you up for trading one of those weird masks of yours when the sh!t hits the fan? My currency will be freshly-made chapattis...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wibbs wrote: »
    You do know this is almost entirely.. what's the phrase... a lot of utter bollocks?

Yeah wasnt this thing doing the rounds a few weeks ago supposedly coming from a "doctor from China" who the poster totally knew was a reliable source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Lashes28 wrote: »
    The government needs to put in some measures to try to help businesses survive. Rent freezes bank freezes and suspend them until life gets going again and companies open back up again.

This is like nothing we have ever seen before so hopefully they come up with some novel ideas for helping the economy survive this.

Can't believe the cluster fûck started from one man and a bat.[/quote

property rates holiday needs to be added to these measures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think they are playing a dangerous game there. I guess they are taking precautions, but they are taking a risk of spreading the virus.
    Transferring one patient in safe conditions is not as high a risk as holding large events or social gathering where there is already community spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Loads of pubs locally have said they are closing, followed by some restaurants and a Dry Cleaners, Beauty Salon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Please stop posting scaremongering posts like this unless you have some sort of explanation why to go with it. It is not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The UK must be regretting Brexit:

The EU has announced restrictions on exports of masks and other protective medical equipment as it seeks to ensure its own supplies for the fight against the coronavirus epidemic.

"We adopted today an export authorisation scheme for protective equipment. This means that such medical goods can only be exported to non-EU countries with the explicit authorisation of the EU governments," European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in a video posted on Twitter.

That haven't left left yet.
    They're standing in the hall with their coats on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Shrewsbury in the UK today.

UFOFKT76DFGZ5PPVGUO4KSREW4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭JPCN1

That's complete bull.

It's a disgusting call to make, to shrug and say the old/vulnerable/immunocompromised are not worth the effort.

There is no defending it no matter what language they use.
    Economy is king and the wealthy are completely in control.

I see the queen has cancelled her engagements, stopped working.
    But won't give the same benefit to the poor.

Fffssss.

The English ruling class were decimated worse than anyone in WW1

The Queen cancelling public engagements which generally bring crowds is prudent, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Nobody knows, supposed to be doing my Leaving Cert this year but nobody seems to know, just alot of stress and anxiety among friends

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭banie01

d51984 wrote: »
    Right, doing delivery's tomorrow. Ive bread, milk and toilet rolls and a few other bits to get a person by for a few days. Made up a few bags.

Delivering FREE/No Charge for goods to elderly only who needs it. Ill just leave bag on front door.

If you know anyone who wants a bag pm me. Dublin 5 and 17, but if needs I might be able to go further.

Im just gonna leave bag on doorstep, knock and go. This will reduce contact.

Please dont abuse it, pm for delivery details.

Very generous of you.
    In normal times, I'd be doing the exact same thing.
    Unfortunately I am in a high risk group myself, and am hunkering down for the long term.

I do hope that your generosity isn't abused, and that others can step forward too.

I know in Limerick the community 1st responder groups and the family resource centres are doing similar.

This isn't going to break our society, it will show just how resilient the things that bond us are.
    Yes we may be socially distancing, but never before have we been so connected to each other by non-direct means.

The effort of people like you, to support those they don't even know!
    Shows just how can find a path to endure this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Really?? Have my doubts if there will be a lock down. Judging by some of the comments by Taoiseach and Dep of Health and my own Department I be surprised if there is one, having said that this government has never been big on transparency.

There'll be a lockdown for non-essential services.

Food producers/suppliers, health care, medical, power providers etc. will stay working.

Non-essencials such as entertainment, gyms, hairdressers etc. will probably close. And unfortunately many will never reopen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement