Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Off licences?

Oh god no!

Whatever about the pubs but this is barbaric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's not viable we cant stop living for 2 months. What happens then, its starts up with 2 then 10 then 40 people infected and it all begins again.

Yes that is what happens, and we are 2 months closer to a vaccine each time. The alternative course is to allow the health service to become overwhelmed in the hope of reaching levels of infection that give herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

surely it would have been an idea to give restaurants/pubs (officially) a couple of weeks notice so they could use up their food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Syncpolice wrote: »
    How many people are.going.to be out of.worknext.week

Tens of thousands for a start. Hope Leo and Paschal are ready for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Just back from the pub there. Last few pints until this blows over. Great craic and good to see people spirits up despite all the scaremongering. Was an almost Xmas eve feel.

What an arsehole of a post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is Ireland working on a Vaccine ? I thought we had the best of the best biopharmaceutical companies in the world?

Australian researchers have had a vaccine candidate, as of a couple of weeks ago, and have been doing animal testing. They are looking at human trials shortly. It could be ready to go by Autumn if it proves safe and effective.

Ireland has offshoots of US big Pharma companies. They don't like vaccines or cures.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,236 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There seems to be differing views?

Surely come March 30 things don’t just go back to normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

surely it would have been an idea to give restaurants/pubs (officially) a couple of weeks notice so they could use up their food.

The smart restaurants have been running down stocks over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Shrewsbury in the UK today.

UFOFKT76DFGZ5PPVGUO4KSREW4.jpg

A lad up the front picking his nose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Loads of pubs locally have said they are closing, followed by some restaurants and a Dry Cleaners, Beauty Salon!

Saving face as they are guessing what's coming. A government launched shutdown imo. A few pubs couldn't help themselves and now they'll basically close up the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

banie01 wrote: »
    Very generous of you.
    In normal times, I'd be doing the exact same thing.
    Unfortunately I am in a high risk group myself, and am hunkering down for the long term.

I do hope that your generosity isn't abused, and that others can step forward too.

I know in Limerick the community 1st responder groups and the family resource centres are doing similar.

This isn't going to break our society, it will show just how resilient the things that bond us are.
    Yes we may be socially distancing, but never before have we been so connected to each other by non-direct means.

The effort of people like you, to support those they don't even know!
    Shows just how can find a path to endure this.

Need some kind of greatly expanded civil defence type organisation if this goes on for months.

So that volunteers have the correct personal protection.

Perhaps the government could pay something to the food outlets for the food for elderly and at risk and the kitchens keep working with the doors closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Shn99 wrote: »
    Nobody knows, supposed to be doing my Leaving Cert this year but nobody seems to know, just alot of stress and anxiety among friends

There might well be arrangements made for leaving cert exams, but it’s unlikely in-class study is going to be back on the cards until the summer’s over.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Please stop posting scaremongering posts like this unless you have some sort of explanation why to go with it. It is not helpful.

But he is right. Why do you think they closed the schools? Because the number of cases reached a level they were not comfortable with. When do you think the numbers will drop back beneath that threshold?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭marilynrr

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    All the stats say that school closures are only any use for slowing the spread of a virus if they are implemented for at least 6-8 weeks. 2 weeks wont make a bit of difference. I think that's why some places like the UK and various US states are trying to hold off as long as possible before closing schools. They know they wont be opening again before the summer

I'd say they just said 2 weeks to avoid panic, really students would only be back for 5 days then before getting the easter holidays so i'm sure they will extend it by an extra week or if they didn't then I would imagine a lot of parents wouldn't send them back anyway, after that schools aren't due back until the 20th of April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

laugh wrote: »
    Put your hand in your arse pocket and send some nice food to some Doctors, nurses, etc:

http://www.feedtheheroes.com/

https://www.gofundme.com/f/feed-the-heroes
    Yeah.. People should not be throwing money at some random guy who set up a GoFundMe page. Our government are financially equipped to feed them.

Just because it doesn't kill you, doesn't mean you want to get it.

Of course you don’t want to get it and i’ve read about what it can potentially do to your lungs. Its the allegation of the average age of deceased being 57 is what i was addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There'll be a lockdown for non-essential services.

Food producers/suppliers, health care, medical, power providers etc. will stay working.

Non-essencials such as entertainment, gyms, hairdressers etc. will probably close. And unfortunately many will never reopen.

Never say never. If the Govt can find some way of funnelling money to them in the next few months, the economy could bounce back very rapidly once the crisis lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Shn99 wrote: »
    Nobody knows, supposed to be doing my Leaving Cert this year but nobody seems to know, just alot of stress and anxiety among friends

Have you all the course covered at this stage?

I remember back in the 90s still doing new stuff in Physics up to the end. It was a long course.

But everything else was covered by March for the mocks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

NIMAN wrote: »
    What odds the schools won't be back til September?

I can see that happening. Hopefully I am totally wrong.

UCD already told college goers it'll be long distance learning for the rest of semester including exams so I can see it being that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Just wondering if everything closes except essential services would a vet be considered an essential service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

alastair wrote: »
    There might well be arrangements made for leaving cert exams, but it’s unlikely in-class study is going to be back on the cards until the summer’s over.

Would you have any idea of such arrangements or just a guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Housemate lands back with the message that the border will be closed at 6:30 Tuesday morning. Maybe, maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Dancing From Afar
    Dancing with SARS surely

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mr.S wrote: »
    Local barbers is full, people waiting and with a constant stream of people. What the ****!? Who wants to get their stupid fade done at this time?!

To be fair a full lock down is possible at some stage (though I would not say 'likely' yet). People know that and will react in different ways. Some bad, some good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Mr.S wrote: »
    Local barbers is full, people waiting and with a constant stream of people. What the ****!? Who wants to get their stupid fade done at this time?!

This won't be over in 2 weeks. If restrictions continue for 16 weeks I'd say anyone who got a haircut today will be glad of it.

I guess it's a balanced risk. I wouldn't go for it myself but I do see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Strazdas wrote: »
    Never say never. If the Govt can find some way of funnelling money to them in the next few months, the economy could bounce back very rapidly once the crisis lifts.

But it would take billions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Really?? Have my doubts if there will be a lock down. Judging by some of the comments by Taoiseach and Dep of Health and my own Department I be surprised if there is one, having said that this government has never been big on transparency.

I think a lock down is inevitable. Why would our course be any different from Spain, France or italy. If there had been decisive action in the first few weeks then it possibly could have been avoided. Now it has taken root there is little option as will spread quickly. The government are just lagging behind. People are already preparing for one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gynoid wrote: »
    So....well, Wibbs, are you up for trading one of those weird masks of yours when the sh!t hits the fan? My currency will be freshly-made chapattis...
    Maybe for beer and red wine(white "wine" will immediately remove you from my list). Not surprised about the price gouging. Some people are just cnuts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No, of course it wouldn't. The steaks are far to high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

cjmc wrote: »
    Housemate lands back with the message that the border will be closed at 6:30 Tuesday morning. Maybe, maybe not

Did he land back from the pub or from somewhere where this might actually be known?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement