Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

With the pubs closing, it's only a matter of time before the country is on complete lockdown. Wondering what will happen economically if that happens and it's for an extended period of time. Could the consequences actually be greater in having full lockdown? i.e a buckled economy causing spiraling homeless problems, inability of people to get treatment for other illnesses, supply chains running dry and absolute pandimodium panic buying?

I know the answer been belted out is we got to do whatever it takes to flatten the infection rate but could there be more issues caused by full lockdown than it would prevent?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Just wondering if everything closes except essential services would a vet be considered an essential service?

Depends probably.

If they're vets out looking after livestock, probably, if for household pets it's probably uncertain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Just wondering if everything closes except essential services would a vet be considered an essential service?

I'd say so. Especially agricultural vets. It's a bit of a worry for us, my parents' dog is near the end of his life but not quite yet. We're really hoping that when the time comes, we have someone to help him go to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

In maynooth driving. Obriens coffee shop wedged. Supernacs wedged. Mcdonalds wedged.

Well done all.

For.
    Fuxx.
    Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Shn99 wrote: »
    Would you have any idea of such arrangements or just a guess?

I’m coming from a third level perspective. I might be wrong, but I don’t think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,236 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No daily ROI increase released yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

surely it would have been an idea to give restaurants/pubs (officially) a couple of weeks notice so they could use up their food.

Notice of what? Pubs are closing of their own choice. In navan at least, I can tell you it is partially owners realising how much damage they could be doing and partially staff wanted them to close cause we don't want to risk infecting people either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

wakka12 wrote: »
    The growth in the UK seems stable though,
    Compared to other biggest countries in Europe Spain France Italy Germany where growth seems to be accelerating daily

They have reduced testing dramatically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

It’d be nice if people didn’t quote the bollix post in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Please stop posting scaremongering posts like this unless you have some sort of explanation why to go with it. It is not helpful.

Ok. Here's my explanation.

Go look at Italy and the state they are in. They had 24 confirmed cases and no deaths three weeks ago. As of yesterday, they had 21,157 confirmed cases with 1,441 deaths.

As of today, we have 129 cases. Who knows where we will be in three weeks. The disease spreads rapidly. In Spain they have had 1362 new cases in the last 24 hours.

The only way at the moment to slow up the spread is to socially isolate. Some fcuker on his own on the top of Croke Patrick is fine, he won't get it. But people who don't self isolate stand a good chance of getting it.

So, realistically, people are stupid and won't self isolate willingly. The government will have to step in (like Italy did too late) and force people to cop the fcuk on.

By the way, this page makes for sobering reading https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,236 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    For.
    Fuxx.
    Sake

Yeh, but they have hand sanitizers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think the best advice right now is

IF YOU RECEIVE A VIDEO OR AUDIO MESSAGE FORWARDED ON WHATSAPP CLAIMING SOME SORT OF MILITARY POLICE STATE IS GOING TO HAPPEN , IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE THAT PERSON SAYS

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

joe_99 wrote: »
    They have reduced testing dramatically

Yes they are only testing hospital admissions with respiratory symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

surely it would have been an idea to give restaurants/pubs (officially) a couple of weeks notice so they could use up their food.

The writing has been on the wall for weeks, anyone not paying attention isnt much of a business owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

cjmc wrote: »
    Housemate lands back with the message that the border will be closed at 6:30 Tuesday morning. Maybe, maybe not

'The Border', couldn't be closed or even controlled during the height of the troubles that last visited this island. How is it going to be closed now?

You would need the wall building skills of Trump Inc .... and they haven't even managed it on their own patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

walshb wrote: »
    No daily ROI increase released yet?
    After 6 as usual, one would assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

With the pubs closing, it's only a matter of time before the country is on complete lockdown. Wondering what will happen economically if that happens and it's for an extended period of time. Could the consequences actually be greater in having full lockdown? i.e a buckled economy causing spiraling homeless problems, inability of people to get treatment for other illnesses, supply chains running dry and absolute pandimodium panic buying?

I know the answer been belted out is we got to do whatever it takes to flatten the infection rate but could there be more issues caused by full lockdown than it would prevent?

These are the difficult choices now being looked at. Don’t envy those having to make them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Who's going.to pay.for all the thousands about.to get laid off

This won't be over in 2 weeks. If restrictions continue for 16 weeks I'd say anyone who got a haircut today will be glad of it.

I guess it's a balanced risk. I wouldn't go for it myself but I do see it.

I went for a haircut yesterday - calculated risk - hadn't had one in 2 months so was badly needed.

they will be closed soon no doubt and won't be opening anytime soon

no waiting - was in and out as quickly as possible.

I wouldn't wait in a q there

obviously you have to hope that the barber breathing over you didn't have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In a lot of Africa now.
    Several African countries have closed borders, cancelled flights and imposed strict entry and quarantine requirements to contain the spread of the coronavirus, which has a foothold in 26 nations on the continent as cases keep rising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Very valid question, not the most balanced forum for an answer though.
    Someone alluded earlier 2 weeks is the maximum lockdown period, after that the economic and health issues of the lockdown outweigh any benefit of extending it.
    The UK are working on advice available to them, and they believe the approach they are taking is the best option for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

d51984 wrote: »
    Right, doing delivery's tomorrow. Ive bread, milk and toilet rolls and a few other bits to get a person by for a few days. Made up a few bags.

Delivering FREE/No Charge for goods to elderly only who needs it. Ill just leave bag on front door.

If you know anyone who wants a bag pm me. Dublin 5 and 17, but if needs I might be able to go further.

Im just gonna leave bag on doorstep, knock and go. This will reduce contact.

Please dont abuse it, pm for delivery details.

I can't find it now but there's a website I saw on twitter yesterday where they put up "Help Available" or "Help Needed" on a map online. Not sure how useful it will be because many elderly people don't use the Internet, it was all help available when I looked yesterday but no help needed. That could change. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think the best advice right now is

IF YOU RECEIVE A VIDEO OR AUDIO MESSAGE FORWARDED ON WHATSAPP CLAIMING SOME SORT OF MILITARY POLICE STATE IS GOING TO HAPPEN , IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE THAT PERSON SAYS

Is that the one where you just hear a voice of a guy who says his mate works for Europacar?

Unfortunately fake news is lapped up by many as 100% true.
    A work colleague told me the Irish army are being mobilized to seal off the border tomorrow night/Tuesday morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe for beer and red wine(white "wine" will immediately remove you from my list). Not surprised about the price gouging. Some people are just cnuts.

How about toilet roll?

I.. ahem... know a guy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Life is good outside people. People out enjoying times with their families, the green s packed with kids enjoying their youth, local coffee shop is out the door(impeccab;e hygiene and no sit down allowed)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Please stop posting scaremongering posts like this unless you have some sort of explanation why to go with it. It is not helpful.

Its not scaremongering, its incredibly realistic, it took china over a month of strict lockdown to get things under control why would it be any different here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Who's going.to pay.for all the thousands about.to get laid off

We all will and rightly so. And it won’t cost a fraction of what the bad banks did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is that the one where you just hear a voice of a guy who says his mate works for Europacar?

theres also one where an absolute howeya woman says similar things about the army , common theme is both messages more panicked about the boozer closing than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Will the bins be collected?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,517 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The UK must be regretting Brexit:

The EU has announced restrictions on exports of masks and other protective medical equipment as it seeks to ensure its own supplies for the fight against the coronavirus epidemic.

"We adopted today an export authorisation scheme for protective equipment. This means that such medical goods can only be exported to non-EU countries with the explicit authorisation of the EU governments," European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in a video posted on Twitter.
    Didn't Germany do something similar a few days ago? Stopping export of relevant gear to anywhere else, including EU countries

Most countries are more concerned about their own population and not the wider EU position. In fact there seems to have been a distinct lack of action/coordination at EU level with this being one of the few EU initiatives I have seen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement