Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Just wondering if everything closes except essential services would a vet be considered an essential service?

That's a very bloody good question - one I hadn't even thought about and me with 5 dogs!
    According to 'my' vets FB page they aim to stay open as long as possible :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

wakka12 wrote: »
    Countries reporting only serious new cases
    Netherlands +175
    Sweden+30
    France +30
    Finland +20
    Sweden is another one with the head firmly in the sand

the below is all they are doing

ETKKfteWsAI1aCl?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1239221732218744833

Welcome but this is like shutting the horse after the stable door has bolted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Still work in progress top countries and dates for new cases and deaths. Reason why it goes back so far is I put in suspect patient 0. USA deaths are hard to find out exact days.
    China Italy Iran S Korea Spain Germany France USA Switzerland

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nu5mIBHYoW1cYgb5JvvjyfLoyKHBG2T8ZRvTK7o80L0/edit?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

what this virus has shown is that the Irish people have no ability to survive without alcohol

Its actually very sad, let’s hope some generation of Irish people might release themselves from the stranglehold alcohol has over the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

What's happening with dentists

Be a bad time.to get a toothache

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Realistically how long can this lockdown/partial lockdown last? If they end it too soon it could possibly reignite coronavirus within the community but if they leave it too long it could leave a lot of people at wits end both mentally and financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Lundstram wrote: »
    Got one friday. They had signs up saying to wash your hands if you wanted to.

Worse part was the fact they charged me €16 for a 5 minute haircut. :mad:

Normally €9 but couldn't make that place.
    I'm actually awestruck that both of you think going for a haircut is worth it before going into a shutdown of the country. It's not like you're going to be flaunting it on the dancefloor.

Please wash your virally-loaded hands, in the sinks where we will be washing hair or the coffee-making equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

We're the same in the defence forces, each and every one of my comrades are chomping at the bit to help out.

I'm on standby from 08:00 tomorrow morning to assist the HSE, I've been told I might be essential to my unit so I've volunteered my after work hours unpaid.

My brother is an AP with the NAS, he's suppose to be off over this weekend and tomorrow but he's stayed on to bring the fight to the virus.

Whether you're frontline medical, military,An Garda or civilian this is a fight where every man, woman and child can do their bit. There's no one useless.

Amen to that. Even if you’re in the back office you are freeing someone else to be at the front line. This is all hands on deck doing everything necessary time.

You hear a lot about public service unions and I know a lot of the time I get annoyed at them too when they block change cause of the impact on working conditions. I’m glad to say there hasn’t been a peep out of them at my level.

I did have some manager call me on Friday to complain that I hadn’t run a decision past him as it affected people under his line management. I told him it was a clinical decision, he was welcome to write a complaint and force them to do what he wanted but if they died it’d be on his conscience. End result, a climb down. He’s not a bad person at all but it just shows you there are still people who don’t get this. I think they’re pretty few and far between though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

89840585_4034777919869234_7329205130476126208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=gHoFlNa9dHwAX_1XjuW&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=523668886618b88e4d7ec4e595502af8&oe=5E925BC0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Syncpolice wrote: »
    What's happening with dentists

Be a bad time.to get a toothache

I think dentists probably rarely get toothaches, they tend to look after their own teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Christy42

Plenty of economic measures they could be taking. Tbf to them, the EU is glacially slow at getting things done but still it would have been nice to see something from them.

They announced a massive stimulus package last week?

Seriously I think people forget that we are not ruled by the EU sometimes.

This is an issue for countries to deal with (potentially working together). The EU is largely economic and announced a stimulus package

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, it's not the economy that is of main concern but the societal impact. I think I saw a figure of four weeks being the maximum recommended number before the need to come back out of the lockdown again.
    Maximum recorded infectivity is 35 days for surviving confirmed cases, presumably by 28 days the % is such that the extra 7 days can be disregarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

252 dead in Lombardy alone today.
    So maybe 350+ total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

How are all the people working in bars/nighclubs/resturants going to afford to pay rent in Dublin just to live somewhere? The dole would hardly cover most peoples rent in Dublin and in many cases wouldn't even cover it when you include bills. Many of these people won't have savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, it's not the economy that is of main concern but the societal impact. I think I saw a figure of four weeks being the maximum recommended number before the need to come back out of the lockdown again.

How bad could the societal impact be?
    I know solitary confinement is a form of torture but are we talking total breakdown of law and order after 4 weeks?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I mean I can't see how they could possibly contain it in Africa given how much of a mess that continent is anyway - so as long as it is there it will keep getting into Europe if normal service ever resumes. Are we all just going to have to get it and become immune to it or is a vaccine required?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,837 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1239221732218744833

Welcome but this is like shutting the horse after the stable door has bolted :pac:

She doesn't have much authority over health or many of the other Covid issues.....these are non-EU matters (contrary to everything those Brexit guys were claiming about the EU being a dictatorship)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

As long as it takes. Lot of morons out there obviously can't be trusted. Lock it down for a few months. Fines for parents of kids congregating as if they're on school holidays etc.

That’s not realistic. So 50% + of adults don’t work for 3 or 4 months. Small businesses go bankrupt, multi nationals leave Ireland, banks go under or need another bail out, no taxes paid, no income for the government.

Who pays for the medical staff, who pays for anything?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

To be quite honest, there's not a lot you can do if you get a toothache other than go to the dentist, but just make sure you call ahead first and they may have some protocols in place.

In the meantime just practice extremely good oral hygiene over the next few months and take good care of your teeth.

Also, perhaps avoid activities that might lead to A&E trips. I would for example look at banning contact sports or any areas of leisure activity that tend to throw up a high number of A&E cases. Until this is over as there's no way we should be doing anything that might burden hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Trump is trying to buy a vaccine from a German company for use by the USA only. He is a cartoon villain come to life.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

He has to look after Americans first, its his job. If Leo had a vaccine that would help everyone in Ireland but he shared with with the world instead so that say, 25% of Irish were looked after, would you be OK with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    what this virus has shown is that the Irish people have no ability to survive without alcohol

Its actually very sad, let’s hope some generation of Irish people might release themselves from the stranglehold alcohol has over the country

I think you will find most European countries have the same relationship with alcohol, you ever travel around italy, every cafe has people inside and out drinking away in peace. Now I do think we drink in excess but that's a different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

paul71 wrote: »
    Heard nothing but I would imagine small animals might be deemed non essential and agricultural as essential.
    I think vets will be available for emergency treatment, if for no other reason than my own sanity.
    2 old dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ironicname wrote: »
    What an arsehole of a post.

Wow. Such hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

spookwoman wrote: »
    Still work in progress top countries and dates for new cases and deaths. Reason why it goes back so far is I put in suspect patient 0. USA deaths are hard to find out exact days.
    China Italy Iran S Korea Spain Germany France USA Switzerland

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nu5mIBHYoW1cYgb5JvvjyfLoyKHBG2T8ZRvTK7o80L0/edit?usp=sharing
    Thanks for this spookwoman. Would you mind freezeing row 1 and columns A-C, would make it easier to scroll while knowing which data you're looking at. Viewers can't change that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement