Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Jesus Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Christy42 wrote: »
    They announced a massive stimulus package last week?

Seriously I think people forget that we are not ruled by the EU sometimes.

This is an issue for countries to deal with (potentially working together). The EU is largely economic and announced a stimulus package

I must have missed that. Have you a link? The only thing I’m getting on google is the EU saying go ahead to Germany’s own domestic package.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

Folks just a quick update, thanks to my sisters I can now extend the below to the following areas

Dublin 5, 9, 11, 13 ,15 and 17. All free to the elderly and we can do delivery's every 3 days.

Also to all frontline staff, if your stuck during this crisis we can drop you and collect you from work.

Just our little way of giving something back.

Right, doing delivery's tomorrow. Ive bread, milk and toilet rolls and a few other bits to get a person by for a few days. Made up a few bags.

Delivering FREE/No Charge for goods to elderly only who needs it. Ill just leave bag on front door.

If you know anyone who wants a bag pm me. Dublin 5 and 17, but if needs I might be able to go further.

Im just gonna leave bag on doorstep, knock and go. This will reduce contact.

Please dont abuse it, pm for delivery details.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Christy42

He has to look after Americans first, its his job. If Leo had a vaccine that would help everyone in Ireland but he shared with with the world instead so that say, 25% of Irish were looked after, would you be OK with that?

It isn't what he is doing. He is trying to get a vaccine and then sell it off to other countries while his own will be looked after either way (after it is developed).

Well I say looked after. I mean probably "free" to pay a massive amount to get it. Land of the free and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Shn99 wrote: »
    Realistically how long can this lockdown/partial lockdown last? If they end it too soon it could possibly reignite coronavirus within the community but if they leave it too long it could leave a lot of people at wits end both mentally and financially.

As long as it has to, which is probably a minimum of 2-3 months going by China, and the fact that we can't introduce such sweeping lockdown measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

amber2 wrote: »
    When you look outside at what a beautiful day it is today, no weather warnings this weekend, nature totally unaffected by what’s going on, it’s amazing just how vulnerable the human race is.

Planted the spuds and some veg today... hope we wont be relying entirely on them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Axfrderr wrote: »
    I think vets will be available for emergency treatment, if for no other reason than my own sanity.
    2 old dogs.

I can't really see any major reason why vets would be of particular risk. They've limited interaction with humans, which are the issue here.

If you need to deal with a vet, I would suggest the main thing is to ensure you contact them first and they should have some kind of system in place where a cat, dog or other animal can be quickly dropped in and collected, without much interaction.

Most of the time, you're not sitting around in a vets anyway and if they've a good appointment system you certainly won't be hanging around.

Vets are highly knowledgable about infection control, so I would suggest if you have concerns phone your vet and discuss them now, rather than when you think there could be a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,223 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’m all for containment, but humans need to live...

Most of this living needs cash. It’s that simple..

Gradual and staggered lockdown is needed, but not OTT lockdown...

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

jamesf85 wrote: »
    That’s not realistic. So 50% + of adults don’t work for 3 or 4 months. Small businesses go bankrupt, multi nationals leave Ireland, banks go under or need another bail out, no taxes paid, no income for the government.

Who pays for the medical staff, who pays for anything?
    For every country this is a classic dilemma, reducing current economic activity to alleviate the short term societal impact, but creating a possibly greater economic hit in the longer term with consequential societal impact. The context for that decision is a period of increasingly lower worldwide activity driven by COVID-19.

Given that all countries are facing the same dilemma, the only thing that appears certain is that the economic landscape is going to be quite different post COVID-19 to what it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Scary. Is the rate increasing every day? Doesnt seem like the lockdown is doing much to stop the spread just yet. Scary times ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

spookwoman wrote: »
    Still work in progress top countries and dates for new cases and deaths. Reason why it goes back so far is I put in suspect patient 0. USA deaths are hard to find out exact days.
    China Italy Iran S Korea Spain Germany France USA Switzerland

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nu5mIBHYoW1cYgb5JvvjyfLoyKHBG2T8ZRvTK7o80L0/edit?usp=sharing

If you want all the numbers for every country for every day, there are sites you can download it, such as:
    https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19/blob/master/csse_covid_19_data

There are visualisations based on these data, such as https://coronavirus.arik.io/
    Other sites that update during the day, such as https://virusncov.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

silverharp wrote: »

Horrible. Fcuk, this is all really horrible. Part of me still cannot believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What is this suppose to mean... very cryptic

Not really that cryptic.

Someone posted
    Surely the time has come to shut down non essential places of work for a couple of weeks

We all know its going to happen, hence Watch This Space.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

d51984 wrote: »
    Folks just a quick update, thanks to my sisters I can now extend the below to the following areas

Dublin 5, 9, 11, 13 and 15. All free to the elderly and we can do delivery's every 3 days.

Also to all frontline staff, if your stuck during this crisis we can drop you and collect you from work.

Just our little way of giving something back.

Right, doing delivery's tomorrow. Ive bread, milk and toilet rolls and a few other bits to get a person by for a few days. Made up a few bags.

Delivering FREE/No Charge for goods to elderly only who needs it. Ill just leave bag on front door.

If you know anyone who wants a bag pm me. Dublin 5 and 17, but if needs I might be able to go further.

Im just gonna leave bag on doorstep, knock and go. This will reduce contact.

Please dont abuse it, pm for delivery details.

Perhaps a mod could sticky a thread for you here? :)

Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

laugh wrote: »
    Jesus Italy.

whats the latest?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

walshb wrote: »

I do appreciate that worry.

Do you appreciate though that without an "OTT lock down", you're talking of deaths in the 100k+ range?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

jamesf85 wrote: »
    That’s not realistic. So 50% + of adults don’t work for 3 or 4 months. Small businesses go bankrupt, multi nationals leave Ireland, banks go under or need another bail out, no taxes paid, no income for the government.

Who pays for the medical staff, who pays for anything?

Exactly. No balance or foresight whatsoever by most posters.
    Who pays for all this??
    Our kids and grandkids will suffer this more than anyone.
    We don’t know yet if the UK’s approach is much better for future generation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

No level of lockdown is OTT.

You're right that humans do need to live to lets make our personal sacrifices so that we aren't burying 6%+ of our population in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,719 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gradual and staggered doesnt work with the amount of stupid in Ireland. People need to have choices removed from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ironicname wrote: »
    What an arsehole of a post.

Gets worse. I think that poster mentioned they work for the HSE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

leck wrote: »
    Thanks for this spookwoman. Would you mind freezeing row 1 and columns A-C, would make it easier to scroll while knowing which data you're looking at. Viewers can't change that.

done ... i think

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,517 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stheno wrote: »
    A lot of pubs seem to be closing

Where I live four out of seven so far are shut/shutting today
    You went on a pub crawl???

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Whatever your view. The video of that church in Italy is so sad to look at. I’m very fortunate to have been able to say goodbye to my parents in an individual and humane way. The families of the deceased might not be so lucky. My heart goes out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

How are all the people working in bars/nighclubs/resturants going to afford to pay rent in Dublin just to live somewhere? The dole would hardly cover most peoples rent in Dublin and in many cases wouldn't even cover it when you include bills. Many of these people won't have savings.

If mortgage payments will be defferred so be the rents. I do not see how any landlord will try and succeed to evict you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ITman88 wrote: »
    How bad could the societal impact be?
    I know solitary confinement is a form of torture but are we talking total breakdown of law and order after 4 weeks?
    Here's an article which makes passing reference to it in this context but much detail.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/03/why-aren-t-we-lockdown-coronavirus-yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Many businesses supplying goods etc will be forced to close next week

Don't even need government intervention

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Gynoid wrote: »
    Horrible. Fcuk, this is all really horrible. Part of me still cannot believe it.

numbers on a spreadsheet you can digest

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,719 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Gets worse. I think that poster mentioned they work for the HSE!!

Meh take it with a pinch of salt. Seems to be one of "bantz" type posters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

d51984 wrote: »
    Ive bread, milk and toilet rolls
    So you're the prick stockpiling!! :mad: :D

Joking aside, fair play to you D. Fair play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement