Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Seems to be certain people’s quest in this crisis to stop any measure of fun.

Seems to be certain peoples' belief that gargle > public health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

One job none of us would ever want.

He's only 33 years old.....

Good grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The stupidity of Trump forcing all the US citizens to return to the US from Europe at very short notice will spread COVID-19 even further in the US. Here is a picture of the crowds waiting to go through screening in Chicago O'Hare Airport, in that group for hours

chica.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Personally I think if your going to close the pubs what's the difference with packing people onto darts into work tomorrow morning?

Other govt recommendations include: those who can work from home should do so, shift patterns should be altered, breaks staggered...etc

The trick is to try and reduce the levels of normal social contact. By closing schools, pubs, and the above recommendations - this will be achieved.

The virus is here. People will get it. The objective is to delay it's spread so that health services can cope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

I 100% agree with the pub closures. There was no other choice as every facet of Irish life revolves around the pubs. I admire our leaders and the difficult position they are in. God save Ireland the worst if this global pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mr.S wrote: »
    He's already highrisk, do feel for the chap.

I'd like him to step back. Doesn't feel morally right looking at him having to give these updates..

Cannot be easy on his stress levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Wonder if we went back to the polls would people give Leo more of a chance ,

Fingers crossed hoping for a low number this evening of numbers !

an election in the middle of this, thats exactly what we need

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bekker wrote: »
    Stocking up for COVID-19 parties, stupidity doesn't take a holiday because the pubs are closed.

No but have to assume that some of the thick inbreds might possibly start to realise its serious?

Or hopefully the closures puts them out of work during the crisis so they dont have money to waste on alcohol.

Alcohol purchases shouldnt be top of anyone healthy persons essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Work in a restaurant in a hotel with a bar. 60 booked tonight. 95% French and English. With Templebar being closed we expect a huge spill ove into our place. Management have reiterated we wont be closing. Does the announcement this eve extend to hotels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Government calls on all public houses and bars, including hotel bars, to close from this evening until at least 29 March

See thats what the stupid fooking selfish arseholes who crowded the pubs did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I had to drive from Navan to Dublin to drop some supplies into my father in law who can’t get out much. He really needed it.

What shocked me was the amount of people out and about. People out walking, people stopped chatting, people going into shopping centres not for the supermarket, people going barbers etc. Kids out and about.

Almost all of it appeared to be very unnecessary!

What’s the point in closing anything if people just can’t stay in?

We need a much harsher message from our government and have choices taken away from us.

Exactly what happened to Italy.

People treated it as a holiday.

Look how that ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

The more I read in the thread the more I am starting to think that the group that needs isolating the most are the Alcoholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

moceri wrote: »
    This is Apocalyptic

That is simply awful, highest rate I've seen from Italy yet, this virus is a fcuking monster.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

ITman88 wrote: »
    Exactly. No balance or foresight whatsoever by most posters.
    Who pays for all this??
    Our kids and grandkids will suffer this more than anyone.
    We don’t know yet if the UK’s approach is much better for future generation

I 100% am for the lock down. I just don’t see how it can go on for more than a month.

Most people live week to week or close to it. It wouldn’t be so bad if it were a handful of countries as others could bail them out but this will be everyone, so who picks up the tab.

I don’t know how we account for the outbreak in places like Africa and India. As long as they have symptoms how will it ever truly go away.

It’s scary that no matter what happens here it’s going to be the worst thing since WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Her survival rate increases.

Maybe he had a life insurance policy for her :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I knew there must have been something that the Italians were doing wrong. They're still at it.
    https://twitter.com/Dr_Santangeli/status/1239154546196328450?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Look, whatever you might think/have thought about FG in the past, and maybe voted SF now, fine.

But they are now in the thick of it, trying their best to get the best advice, make the right decisions and so on. Thankless task as a caretaker Government.

I for one don't care who the feck is in charge as long as they make the best decisions for all of us, and it's looking like they are. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

an election in the middle of this, thats exactly what we need

Yep cos I wrote that on boards there will be an election called , the power I have is untold !

I agree I think Leo and co are doing a great job so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Hedgehod55 wrote: »
    You're better off ignoring, he's constantly posting absolute nonsense. He's either a troll, or unbelievably dense. To be fair, he's not the only one. Plenty of others who would be strong nominations for the Darwin award (facehugger, weldoninho, completedit etc).

2 arguments exist on this forum, both sides post absolute nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 56,215 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Will Tokyo 2020 go ahead?

Japanese Prime Minister says definitely..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

bekker wrote: »
    Drinks industry spokesman 50,000 jobs gone overnight, due to closure request.

He does not give a sh*t about jobs or lives.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Exactly what happened to Italy.

People treated it as a holiday.

Look how that ended.

Some still are. Out running and cycling on Sky News this afternoon.

You cannot legislate for outright stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Work in a restaurant in a hotel with a bar. 60 booked tonight. 95% French and English. With Templebar being closed we expect a huge spill ove into our place. Management have reiterated we wont be closing. Does the announcement this eve extend to hotels?

Hotel bars have to shut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Are we expecting numbers at 6pm again today?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Shoelaces wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Hotels are seen to have a better ability to provide the social distancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

jamesf85 wrote: »
    I 100% am for the lock down. I just don’t see how it can go on for more than a month.

Most people live week to week or close to it. It wouldn’t be so bad if it were a handful of countries as others could bail them out but this will be everyone, so who picks up the tab.

I don’t know how we account for the outbreak in places like Africa and India. As long as they have symptoms how will it ever truly go away.

It’s scary that no matter what happens here it’s going to be the worst thing since WWII.

You have to go further back than that. 1918 flu pandemic is probably the closest and not in living memory (hence why we have no comparisons on what to do). This will kill a lot more civilians here than the Luftwaffe did.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

moceri wrote: »

It is shocking and upsetting. But if the Italians manage to contain the deaths at anything like this level it is not apocalptic. To give a sense of proportion, the Spanish Flu is estimated to have caused up to 466,000 deaths in Italy in the various waves through 1918-19.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29525806
    Keeping the deaths to a relatively small fraction of that in this epidemic would be great - and hopeful for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

is_that_so wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Hotels are seen to have a better ability to provide the social distancing.
    The announcement extends to hotel bars so they "should" be shutting tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

walshb wrote: »
    Will Tokyo 2020 go ahead?

Japanese Prime Minister says definitely..

I'll take that bet with him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement