Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Another 40 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

40 new cases

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Most the rural pubs near me will remain open thats for sure

Why don't you get your notebook out and take names, ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

KaneToad wrote: »
    Do you think those in A & E are there for the craic? Moron.

Don't call me a moron. You bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I doubt the panic about the procurement of alcohol applies to the majority of people, but realistically a couple of beers or a few glasses of wine in the bunker might help a lot of people chill out in a confinement period.

Same all over the world really. Mass gatherings in pubs is a totally different matter, and will be stopped PDQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

40 new cases today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Will we go as far as Spain?

"The streets are deserted. Shops, restaurants, tourist sites and many hotels are boarded up as people are told they are only allowed to leave their homes for essentials.

Police cars slowly circle the empty streets, stopping occasionally to usher people on.

One group of bemused tourists I saw eating sandwiches in the sunshine of a square were swiftly told to leave, as police reminded them that it's "forbidden" to sit or stand in the streets."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

40 again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

People clogging up public transport and a&e are just as culpable as those in pubs. Don't let that get in your way of your outrage

Public transport should be less clogged now less people need to go to work with the closures. The alco's will probably be having vigils outside their beloved pub or crying into pillows so shouldnt be on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

regedit wrote: »
    I think all retail outlets excluding food stores should close for teh foreseeable future.. We are relying the Government stopping the outbreak while people are inherently acting irresponsibly! Look at webcams form last night and even some places today...

This exactly.

The Gov here are taking decisive action to curb this. Compare us to the UK if you want proof.

But you will still have many moaning about how the Gov aren't doing enough, they should do this, that etc.

Gov can't do this on their own. They need ALL OF US to help stop this virus. And we all can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Lundstram wrote: »
    Simon Harris doesn't look in good shape on the news. Hope he's looking after himself.

Absolutely huge pressure on his shoulders, type of thing you can waffle or bluff your way through. Not suggesting he would, but no hiding place here he will have to show real acumen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

How many, say it again

• Registered Users Posts: 56,209 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nijmegen wrote: »

And this on a Sunday...be higher and higher weekdays coming..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I honestly think Simon Harris and probably quite a few other Irish ministers for health have been given impossible tasks over the years. In business the role would be called 'a widow maker' as it's basically a job nobody can succeed in. The ones who escaped unharmed tended to either disappear out of the job very quickly, or back some positive public health measure like the Smoking Ban.

I'm not saying the policies have been great or that the reforms have been radical enough to make a big difference, but they've been generally very well intended and I honestly think the comparisons with right wing Tories and all of that is a bit nonsensical. The system is a complex mess and has been for decades and needs radical reform.

All I could say is right now, he's doing a his best. He's communicating facts well and he's taken some pretty seriously tough decisions in the face of what are often very powerful vested interests and we haven't melted down into some kind of chaotic mess, as is apparently happening in some of our peer countries.

If out of this horror, a true public health system somehow emerges at least that will be something we can chalk down to the legacy of this nightmare.

Sometimes a crisis like this can be what changes a system. It's how the NHS emerged after WWII.

On a personal level though, I wish him well and hope we all succeed in this, no matter what nuance of Irish politics we're looking in at this from, we're all on the same page when its comes to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

40 new cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Shn99 wrote: »
    40 new cases

No big jumps, has to be welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

214 on the island of ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

How long should it take before we see the results of schools and pubs closing.

• Advertisement

Nijmegen wrote: »

First of 700 updates on the number of new cases, yay!

169 now in ROI and 214 on the island. We need NI to cop on and join the measures we're taking, or close the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

RTÉ reporting 40 in RoI, 169 total here

11 new in the North
    214 on the island

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

40 cases today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

hairyslug wrote: »

2 or so weeks I'd say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

hairyslug wrote: »

Between 1-2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Looks like we will be okay I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Hey everyone, don’t think anyone’s posted this yet, but there are 40 new cases today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

fits wrote: »
    He has aged some amount.

Weird position for them to be in. I thought they handled Brexit well and they are handling this well. And thanks to FG we have an emergency fund to throw at this too. But they’ll never be thanked for it.

They are handling this exceptionally well, when you compare them to the inept crowd across both sides of our shores they absolutely fantastic. Many more lives will be saved dye to their extraordinary decision making. Well done to each and everyone of our great leaders.

Germany closing its borders is confirmed by the govt.

https://twitter.com/tom_nuttall/status/1239252208744640512?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I had to drive from Navan to Dublin to drop some supplies into my father in law who can’t get out much. He really needed it.

What shocked me was the amount of people out and about. People out walking, people stopped chatting, people going into shopping centres not for the supermarket, people going barbers etc. Kids out and about.

Almost all of it appeared to be very unnecessary!

What’s the point in closing anything if people just can’t stay in?

We need a much harsher message from our government and have choices taken away from us.
    I've no problem with people out walking stocking up on Vitamin D and getting some fresh air to build immunity, feel better about their situation.
    Large groups of Kids playing together or adults going to the pub etc, doesn't really need much comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement