Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I honestly cannot see the logic in not going for a run or a cycle. It is public gatherings that are the issue surely. How is one person running on their own going to lead to a spread? If it is <b>that</b> airborne then we need to shut down all work places (and any internal heating/air ducts in residential blocks)

Agreed.

We need to keep our immune systems strong as chances are many of us will get it. A walk or run as long as you practice distancing and hygiene should be fine.

Tony O Holohan was advising people to go for a walk yesterday ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

EDit wrote: »
    Hey everyone, don’t think anyone’s posted this yet, but there are 40 new cases today

All from The Temple Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

How probable will it be that martial law is declared?

"The current Irish Constitution allows for martial law if the government declares a state of emergency, however capital punishment is prohibited in all circumstances, including a state of emergency."

Seems likely we'll declare a state of emergency based on the prep going on. Any suggestions on top tips for surviving martial law? I guess don't answer back is up there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law#Ireland
    Not quite that straightforward, cf Irish Constitution Article 28.3.3, no Special Powers Act any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,186 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Simon Harris looks like death on legs.

My brother in-law also has Crohn's disease and I know what stress and fatigue can do to a person with it. In my opinion Harris should be replaced immediately and allowed to step back, no job should cos a person their life and a family their husband and father.

Even in the absence of a new Government, capable and experienced Ministers like Richard Bruton are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Looks like we will be okay I reckon.

Thanks. I feel reassured Dr. Completedit. I was really waiting on your thoughts on the situation as they carry a lot of weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Not seeing any of the large spikes like we have seen in other countries....Thankfully

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Steer55 wrote: »
    They are handling this exceptionally well, when you compare them to the inept crowd across both sides of our shores they absolutely fantastic. Many more lives will be saved dye to their extraordinary decision making. Well done to each and everyone of our great leaders.

Absolute horse manure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Find it hard to see how the global financial system can survive this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

How many new cases? didn't quite catch it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Lundstram wrote: »
    Simon Harris doesn't look in good shape on the news. Hope he's looking after himself.

He has alot to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

MD1990 wrote: »
    How many new cases? didn't quite catch it

I think 40 new cases

Italian Doctor urges the Irish to not meet up with other people

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0315/1123338-italy-doctor/
    Dr Guaraldi said: "Initially people do not really understand the message. We closed the schools but still people were gathering with one another.

"We had to take extreme measures, for example now you cannot walk near another person, they stop you and tell you, you need to stay at home.

"We need to be clear, the only way to protect against the spread of the epidemic is stay at home and try not to meet other people.

"This is a very difficult message to tell people, but we also need to explain to people that they must not be scared and in time this epidemic will be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Looks like we will be okay I reckon.

I know I shouldn't but...….

What planet are you on? Define ok in your little world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

People clogging up public transport and a&e are just as culpable as those in pubs. Don't let that get in your way of your outrage

There are things that can be done.

Working from home should be an option where it can be done.
    Staggering working hours for people who need to take public transport might be an option for some.

Here's a brief overview of some of the stuff that we have done.

1. No international travel from last week.
    2. If you're returning from a country with COVID-19, no work for minimum of 2 weeks.
    3. If you have a cough or any of the symptoms, don't come to work for two weeks and then you need a cert to come back.
    4. If you develop any of the symptoms, fcuk off home for 2 weeks and then you need a cert to come back.
    5. Washing/hygiene/cleaning upped bigtime.
    6. Work from home if you have a job that allows that.
    7. Social distancing, no face to face meetings if possible, use phone, skype etc.
    8. Break time staggered so that only a few people are in the canteen at any one time. People must have an empty chair between themselves and others.
    9. Working times staggered so that everyone doesn't have to be crammed onto public transport at the same time.

Now I know not every industry can do that, but people will have to be flexible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Exactly, I’ll spend 3 hours tomorrow on packed public transport, but it’s an OUTRAGE that I went for a pint earlier.

You work in the HSE ffs...

Your colleagues are battling to save people's lives, while you go out and potentially add even more patients to their workload. Classy stuff! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

When I see Simon Harris I see Brian Lenihan 10 years ago. A man not in the whole of his health doing his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Will restaraunts still sell alcohol? Will bars with restaraunts still open??

FFS people are going to get sick or die people are going to become unemployed and all we here is drink drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Just back from the pub there. Last few pints until this blows over. Great craic and good to see people spirits up despite all the scaremongering. Was an almost Xmas eve feel.

Despicable. Let us know what the craic is when your closest relatives go down with this....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Agreed.

We need to keep our immune systems strong as chances are many of us will get it. A walk or run as long as you practice distancing and hygiene should be fine.

Tony O Holohan was advising people to go for a walk yesterday ffs.

at a guess, just trying to figure the logic...

In order for a curfew/lockdown to work, you need to ask people why they are out.

If people are genuinely out for a quick bit of exercise, grand, but there'll be people who say they are when in fact they're heading off to some gathering, etc. Especially gangs of youths, who will congregate outside at the best of times.

And so it becomes easier to say "No walks outside", and turn a little blind eye if someone is obviously doing a little exercise, than it is to give a bit of leeway and let everyone roam around.

I'd hope if your exercise is an individual thing, you're obviously dressed for it, etc, there won't be as big a push by the authorities to get annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

25 in the east, 9 in the west and 6 in the south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

People clogging up public transport and a&e are just as culpable as those in pubs. Don't let that get in your way of your outrage

Yeah I find that I need to spend a couple of hours boozing in a pub to even get to work myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think 40 new cases

Yet again, whoosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Shn99 wrote: »
    Not seeing any of the large spikes like we have seen in other countries....Thankfully
    And may it stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Border closing on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Shn99 wrote: »

Equivalent of 500 new cases if we had a population the size of Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Simon Harris looks like death on legs..

Always has. A sandwich and vitamin d might help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I was out this evening walking the dog along the coast. It was an absolutely beautiful evening and for a few minutes I forgot all about the events of the week. I had been feeling stressed and nervy all day but was completely recharged by the walk.

Loads of people out walking and cycling too.

Get out and enjoy the nice weather, but observe social distances and avoid big groups. A walk with your loved one (or dog - same thing for some!) is a great tonic.

My thoughts on the 40 - concern but also slight relief. If it remains flat, and our isolation practices work, then we are doing what we're supposed to - flattening the curve.

Well done to FG and also great to see the pubs closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You work in the HSE ffs...

Your colleagues are battling to save people's lives, while you go out and potentially add even more patients to their workload. Classy stuff! :(

Ah here at best hes a binman most likely. Doubt he is let near any patient or animate object.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Where is Vlad? I am not impressed at all with that sock muncher.

This is a Government decision re C19 measures, so Ministers should rotate and give others a bit of a break.

No one cares who says what, it is the message we want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement