Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Tis terrible altogether. Anyone got a bubble I could self isolate in??

Dig up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Here is article about situation in slovakia translated by google. Interesting what they do with just 61 cases with population only small bit higher than Ireland.
    Original article link:

In Slovakia, a total of 17 cases of COVID-19 were added on Sunday. Together we register 61 cases. Prime Minister Peter Pellegrini (Smer) confirmed this after an extraordinary meeting of the Slovak government. Chairman of the State Material Reserves Administration (SHRC) Kajetan Kicura said that we could have 30 million surgical masks in Slovakia next week.

The government also approved further measures against the spread of the disease. For 14 days, it closes all retail and service operations except food, drugstores, pharmacies, newsagents, post offices, banks, pumps, canteens and pet food shops.

Pellegrini also announced the probable cessation of production in Volkswagen in Bratislava due to the possible occurrence of coronavirus. The factory will confirm the decision on Monday.

Drapes, protective clothing and rapid tests will come
    The State Material Reserves Administration (SHRC) has signed contracts for the supply of 30 million surgical masks and other protective equipment. They should be stored within a week and a half. This was announced by SESHR chairman Kajetan Kicura, saying that it could represent a sufficient amount for all citizens. The SHRC also discussed several hundred thousand quick tests with suppliers.

FP2 and FFP3 filter respirators should be stored. They are also planning to buy pulmonary ventilation devices, COVID-19 diagnostic kits, according to material approved by the government at a special meeting on Sunday. The government also wants to buy disposable protective suits, shoe covers, goggles, bio-waste bags and disposable coats.

"We have to believe that the contracts will also be fulfilled and the second half of the next week will satisfy the requirements of the Slovak Republic," Kicura said.

Several hundred thousand rapid tests are intended not only for the public, but also for components such as firefighters, police or railwaymen. Delivered should be tested directly in Wuhan, where the infection broke out. Although quick tests have an informative role, they may make sense, according to Kicura, for example if a person is tested at home at the beginning and at the end of the quarantine.

According to Kičur, surgical masks could reach citizens through district offices to which they would be distributed. "There is also a purely hypothetical possibility that we would also distribute surgical masks by post, but we are considering doing this with the help of the district authorities because there are rules for that," Kicura said. The mask should be sufficient even if the patient comes to the ambulance to the doctor.

From Monday the veils will be carefully distributed
    Several hundred thousand cloths should be in stock of the State Material Reserves since last week. However, they are looking for the key to distribute as effectively as possible. "From Monday (March 16) we will be cautiously distributing the amount of masks we already have," the Prime Minister said.

Respirators with FFP2 filters should also appear in the stores. Pellegrini will also address how to deal with respirators with FFP4 filters, since these must be given mainly to people in clinics. “It will be improving next week,” said the Prime Minister of the Slovak Republic on the marginal delivery of masks.

Hospitals in Banská Bystrica and Bratislava are continually buying protective equipment to make them available, says Pellegrini. He admitted, however, that there was a huge war over the robe. "We are competing with every country in the common market," the Prime Minister noted.

He also said in the show that Slovakia had already booked two million masks in Ukraine. According to Pellegrini, however, the condition was a cash payment. “We were already preparing cash of 1.2 million euros in a suitcase to sit in a government special and simply go after them. A German trafficker came there and paid for it and bought it, ”said the Prime Minister.

Pellegrini said on TA3 that he will negotiate with the owners of the Incheba Exhibition Center in Bratislava on Monday. "We will need such space for a certain concentration of people in a confined space, if necessary," he said, hoping it wouldn't work out. According to Pellegrini, the exhibition grounds could serve for mobile testing of people where people enter through one gate and the other out. The exhibition grounds could also serve as a gathering place for sick people if they were not handled by hospitals.

Pellegrini: The Minister of Finance is preparing a package of measures
    The outgoing Minister of Finance is preparing a package of economic measures that will be prepared for the future government. The current situation with the coronavirus pandemic will also have a major impact on the Slovak economy, he said in a discussion session Pellegrini.

We must prepare some proposals for the new government. She will have to deal with it in some way, but we are responsible. We need to talk to the organizations today about how we will clean up these damages, he said.

Concerning food supplies in Slovakia, he said that there is certainly enough. Representatives of large retail chains are also invited to the Monday Crisis Staff. Inform them about the stock of goods. We may have to do briefing at one of the distribution warehouses so people can see full food stores, Pellegrini said.

The government also plans to communicate with travel agencies and insurance companies about Slovak tourists who have been stranded abroad. She should prepare a plan to evacuate these people home. We will have to consider whether, with the permission of the countries through which we can pass, we will be able, for example, to send a fleet of empty buses to our tourists and bring them home, added the Prime Minister.

Representatives of the new coalition support the measures
    Representatives of the new coalition agree with the measures taken by the outgoing government on the spread of coronavirus. They called on people to be responsible and protect themselves in this crisis, for example, wearing masks. OĽaNO representative Eduard Heger, Vice-President of the People's Party Veronika Remišová, chairman of the We Are Family Boris Kollár movement and SaS chairman Richard Sulík stated this in a Sunday talk show TA3 In Politics.

According to Heger, it is important to ensure the functioning of critical infrastructure. He says there is still a need to add in this area. For example, he suggests setting up a separate website with information about the new coronavirus or information blocks deployed to the media. According to him, people need to know the answers to their questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Serious question. Is there a case to be made for appointing an additional minister of state with responsibility for the virus crisis? I know there is still a caretaker government but surely in the circumstances something could be done to share the workload with Harris especially when the ****e really hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dunnes Aldi Lidl Tesco Super Valu Centra Londis are all still still selling drink.:confused::confused:

Yes that's fine.
    If you want some just buy it take it home and drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

vladmydad wrote: »
    I think they’re doing it on webcams

Our parish broadcast a mass on webcam this morning at 11 but from the presbytery not the cathedral. There were 700 tuned in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

vladmydad wrote: »
    I think they’re doing it on webcams

They sure are. It was a bit saddening this morning when we watched our local mass on line and prayed together at home. Kind of made it all very real and a bit scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Feels odd they can drink in the US and UK but not here for paddies day

You are free to drink here on Paddy's day, alone at home. No problem with that whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

‘Herd immunity’ is not our policy, says UK’s health secretary https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/herd-immunity-is-not-our-policy-says-uk-s-health-secretary-1.4203637

The government’s chief scientific adviser Patrick Vallence said last week that about 60 per cent of the population would have to become infected with the virus to develop herd immunity.

‘Herd immunity’ is not our policy, says UK’s health secretary.

© Westminster 1984

Doublespeak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Advice but honestly as hard as it might be it would stupidity in the extreme to not close.
    I'm guessing they are attempting the social pressure angle.
    I don't have faith in that to be honest but I can see an order to close coming sometime during the week when videos/pics emerge of some establisghments ignoring the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

mosii wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTFk34nhoI

Look at this link to you tube guys,this guy knows his stuff,this is going to peak in june, and by my calculations 40000 people to die. IN Ireland.Lockdown from tuesday ,i would imagine.

Stop making silly statements like 40,000 people will die. Just over 3,000 in china have died. There are many variables to consider and you coming out with silly bold statements like that is not helping one bit, you are just as bad as all the fake crap thats doing the round on WhatsApp. Jaysus whats wrong with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Blanco100 wrote: »
    not seen a mention of a case in the midlands yet[/QUOTE
    They might be using the provences as north south east and west

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Kinda sad how many posts on here are about drink and pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

You are talking to a wall.

The weekend proved that, there is no reasoning with addicts. Mandatory closure was only choice left, if they can't get a drink, I don't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

Any hope of pubs doing webcam live streams? Then drink at home but still feel like im in pub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Nibs05 wrote: »

Fcuk them. If they were silly enough to go there during the week let them find their own way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Absolute horse manure

Kindly explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Kinda sad how many posts on here are about drink and pubs.

Some like a drink some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Yes, that's what I mean. Observing 2 metres distance.

I've been watching Neighbours out walking together all day. Individuals from different houses strolling together. Just saw another pair ambling up the road. A foot apart at best. WTF is wrong with people? These dopes don't even go out for walks normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

So would it be improbable in your opinion? I'm not so up on my constitutional law unfortunately. Might be worth reading up on if this gets as bad as it has. :eek:
    Difficult I think, hopefully existing Acts being trawled through to see what can be done via Ministerial Orders, and of course the Dail could legislate and try to delay a referral to the SC, but in view of consequential losses they'd be pushed to do that.

3° Nothing in this Constitution other than Article 15.5.2° shall be invoked to invalidate any law enacted by the Oireachtas which is expressed to be for the purpose of securing the public safety and the preservation of the State in time of war or armed rebellion, or to nullify any act done or purporting to be done in time of war or armed rebellion in pursuance of any such law. In this subsection "time of war" includes a time when there is taking place an armed conflict in which the State is not a participant but in respect of which each of the Houses of the Oireachtas shall have resolved that, arising out of such armed conflict, a national emergency exists affecting the vital interests of the State and "time of war or armed rebellion" includes such time after the termination of any war, or of any such armed conflict as aforesaid, or of an armed rebellion, as may elapse until each of the Houses of the Oireachtas shall have resolved that the national emergency occasioned by such war, armed conflict, or armed rebellion has ceased to exist.

Of course a machiavellian stroke would be to act in order to ensure that such circumstances could be deemed to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Boggles wrote: »
    You mean the same ones which are telling us they should have done it weeks ago?
    Who's telling us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I would have been delighted if that shower was welded into the auld dubliner last night.

That says an awful lot more about you than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Yes, that's what I mean. Observing 2 metres distance.

My friend was nearly arrested in Spain for walking down the street too close to his cousin yesterday.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    The priests giving sermons to fully empty Churches on the news was pretty eerie.
    Yeah, eerie that in 2020 the news is finally just biting the bullet broadcasting mass on the fúckin state airwaves. Catholicism has always and will always have a stranglehold on the country. Didn't see any of the livestreams from mosques and synagogues. Anyway, fairly unimportant stuff in the scheme of everything going on but as someone without a religion I'm happy enough to remain at home.

I hope the elderly can access the livestreams all the same :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Things are tuning nasty now in this thread that the flow of drink is to be curtailed.

Board rules attack the post not the poster and you have painted a very large target on your posts.

Cop on ffs this thing is getting worse.

You cop on. Those figures are a spot on percentage of the total.
    Take it somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

You can be guaranteed pubs will be packed tonight as everyone knows it’s their last chance for a few for the foreseeable

• Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Just been to a Tesco in Dublin 9... shelves rammed , about 20 shoppers in the whole store which is a very very large one... everyone just strolling around to their hearts content having a relaxing shop. Zero signs of anything aside from a normal Sunday evening, no shopping rampages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

One joke going around online:

Your parents and grandparents went to war.
    You're being asked to stay on the sofa. You got this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Stop making silly statements like 40,000 people will die. Just over 3,000 in china have died. There are many variables to consider and you coming out with silly bold statements like that is not helping one bit, you are just as bad as all the fake crap thats doing the round on WhatsApp. Jaysus whats wrong with people.

I hate to say it but we don't have the capability to care for all the serious cases.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

That says an awful lot more about you than them.

Listen. You can still go buy a couple of slabs of booze in the offie and get liquored up at home.

So what's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I've been watching Neighbours out walking together all day. Individuals from different houses strolling together. Just saw another pair ambling up the road. A foot apart at best. WTF is wrong with people? These dopes don't even go out for walks normally.

Tony Holohan said there was nothing wrong with family members walking side by side. As long as they practice good hand hygiene and cough etiquette both inside and outside the home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement