Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Portugal closing its border with Spain from tomorrow until Easter

https://twitter.com/lucasrohan/status/1239260315205939200

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Boggles wrote: »
    There was an Italian Doctor on Sky news last night who gave an interview from the center of it.

He was pretty fúcking clear what not to do.
    Well there were a lot of things they did not do themselves and they were playing catch-up. There's a team making calls on this and their approach is to apply measures as they feel they are required. I don't know if we'll end up like Italy or Spain, I don't believe we will but we do seem to be managing the crisis in a measured way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Anyone who's out and about in the pubs is an absolute prick end of story. Frankly the response from European government and certain sections of the public has been awful. You had that clown Harris saying cancelling flights from Italy wouldn't do anything, loads still traveled over even though the Rugby was called off. Boris Johnson is even worse and either doesn't get it or just doesn't care about the vulnerable.

Then you had the morons who felt horse racing was more important and are landing back home without any mandatory quarantine. For anyone who says "It's just a bad flu" really you think China would put tens of millions of people on lockdown and shut down vast sections of the economy if it's only a bad flu. Get real people stay the fcuk home unless absolutely essential to go outside. Ye maybe you won't die if you catch it put maybe the 2 of the 20 people you gave it to in the meantime will.

It sucks believe me the last 6 weeks have been the longest of my life but it's the only option. On the plus side I've noticed things have improved slightly in the last week here in Beijing, still mostly shut down but definitely over the worst of it. This will pass but it will only go on longer and have a worse impact if people still continue to be selfish assholes and not taking it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What stopping people from walking into ticking bomb? If you don't name the town, village or city you don't what is happening there. Revealing, how the 40 people got it, and where will stop further spread in the community.

I don't get this obsession with needing to know where the confirmed cases are. Just assume it's everywhere and act accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Turtwig wrote: »
    Tony Holohan said there was nothing wrong with family members walking side by side. As long as they practice good hand hygiene and cough etiquette both inside and outside the home.

They aren't family members. Thye are neighbours from different houses walking together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Do people think they bolted people in Wuhan into their apartment blocks for no good reason? For the craic?

What is it about us that makes us think we will be any different?

It’s an abominable arrogance.
    There are a lot of people posting here with dogged determination to distance themselves from their "you're being hysterical" posts last week. Many of them weren't convinced of anything having seen those videos. Showing them this week to people I know who have not been taking this seriously, I was met with the same type of attitude.

By way of explanation, I'll adapt the Elbow lyric I posted a few weeks ago;
    "It's easy to ignore until they're welding shut the door of your homes".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Scenes of Paris, Madrid etc empty, clowns here having a great time down the pub.

Some nation of morons.

“Scaremongering” yeah remember China welded people into apartments to stop this.
    There were scenes of large groups singing outside pubs in France last night, arm in arm etc. Stupid seems to be an international commodity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I’ve decided to give up going to the pub for lent.

To set a good example for the young ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

otnomart wrote: »
    The French gov has changed approach in the last few days, first by closing schools and yesterday evening by closing bars, restaurants and non essential shops.

However, as per today, not everyone has got the message on social distancing.

Source: https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/coronavirus-des-rues-et-des-parcs-bondes-a-paris-malgre-les-nouvelles-interdictions-1875511.html

ETKkteeXYAE2PiP?format=jpg&name=large

Looks like killiney hill and dun laoghaire this afternoon, went for a run thinking it would be a quieter Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

kfrp wrote: »
    Prob not true but still, could be
    It was the army last week, almost identical message too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't drink.:)

No dog in this fight so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

VinLieger wrote: »
    I hope every pub doing this loses their license

You would have had some craic during Prohibition

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

They really should close big shopping centres like Dundrum.
    Kids off schools will just hang out there in large numbers and spread everything amongst themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Does it not tell you how serious they think this is that they opted against that?

Seriously, i'm seeing people doubting the severity of this, as if they think the government has bombed the economy gleefully. Would it not make you take a step back for a moment and ponder that if the governments, not just of Ireland but accross the globe, are willing to drop a nuke on their economy that maybe, just maybe, it's more serious than you're realising?
    You are dead right. I don't trust the government one bit and I'm sure there is a lot we aren't being told about this. I have my suspicions that its more harmful to younger people than they are letting on but your point is bang on. Billions have been lost, economies are tanking, there is no way European governments would close down and take the huge financial hit if it wasn't serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

The_Brood wrote: »
    Another 40 insane. Yet the government is proceeding to bring people home from Spain etc. without any screening? What the hell is going on?

Russia literally has a huge border with China but they have a lot less cases then Ireland despite having about 30 times the population.

Why? When they first got wind of a the Wuhan outbreak, they quarantined EVERYONE coming into the country for two weeks, no questions asked (it's something like that). Meanwhile Ireland was saying they couldn't ban Italians from coming here on a plane for the laugh despite banning the rugby, because "it wouldn't be constitutional".

It's on their heads that a lot of Ireland's deaths will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭septictank

Wouldn't put it past Harris to get the Off licences to limit per person buying, or to close on certain days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

BS.

There are 169 cases in this country, if it was 1690 cases and xx deaths i might believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

All these statistics comparing Ireland's populations to Italy's are misleading. Comparing us to Lombardy would show a far truer picture.

I've been in since work on Thursday and i'm taking it seriously, but you can't really compare the two. If you take Lombardy out Italy's stats are very different. The virus was allowed propagate there in a very touchy feely culture with an old population and 10m people in a place not much bigger than Leinster. We don't have a Lombardy thankfully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Am I misunderstanding this or did we shutdown schools etc at an earlier phase than Italy and Spain?

Essentially what I'm asking is if the Italy/Spain growth is inevitable here or can we still contain it to relatively lower levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Not sure that is true at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

I don’t have one. House party sorted for Tuesday. Off on Wednesday. Happy days.

Denial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

elperello wrote: »
    No dog in this fight so :)

Don't want selfish pricks spreading this around for the sake of getting pissed.

It would seem the Government agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Turtwig wrote: »
    Tony Holohan said there was nothing wrong with family members walking side by side. As long as they practice good hand hygiene and cough etiquette both inside and outside the home.

Thank you. It's so hard to know what to do. I know I'd be very strict with distance but then I think maybe not worth taking the chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Stop making silly statements like 40,000 people will die. Just over 3,000 in china have died. There are many variables to consider and you coming out with silly bold statements like that is not helping one bit, you are just as bad as all the fake crap thats doing the round on WhatsApp. Jaysus whats wrong with people.

Watch the video,and if you really believe 3000 people died in china,out of a population of 1.3 billion people,then YOU are in cloud cuckoo land,watch the video buddy and switch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The point was made by my grandmother that she's never seen mass stopped in her life time. I couldn't think of a time when they would have closed. Whatever you think about the church good or bad, it's been a consistent part of Irish life through good and bad times. It does kind of wake you up to see them closed.

Well for a certain cohort yes, to meet and greet. But otherwise no, Mass will be online going forward, better get with the program and help those who wish to see it online too.

The times they are a changing.

I don't think people realise how rampant this virus is. Give it two weeks. Sorry now, but the stats are there and will increase. A lockdown will help enormously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

threeball wrote: »
    Sh1te job with that condition. Stress massively exacerbates it

I wonder if FG's logic for appointing him was his rare condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Screenshot-20200315-184512-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You would have had some craic during Prohibition

Were people dying during prohibition? Also poor straw man because booze is still easily available so if you are that addicted buy and drink at home

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

dockysher wrote: »
    Any hope of pubs doing webcam live streams? Then drink at home but still feel like im in pub

Might be rocking Paddys Day...

https://irishkevins.com/stage-cam/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Bit of a joke, they still not highlighting the counties that saw the 40 cases rise. Young people are less likely to pay attention when you say there're cases in west, south, and east. When they going to do this correctly?

I'm of the same mind, people aren't really worried as it happening somewhere else and unbeknownst them that it could be on there own doorstep.

If it reported 12 cases in Middleton Cork, pretty sure people would take more care

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement