Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'd say a lot will close over the next week or so with the country more or less in lockdown by the weekend. Bit by bit everything is about to shut! Extraordinary times and to think before this we would panic over a red alert storm for 24hours. Surreal is the new normal. The whole thing would have made a great film but I guess movie directors wouldn't have thought it believable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Icepick wrote: »
    We are gonna be second Italy unless the country locks down now.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

saabsaab wrote: »
    I know Capital punishment is not allowed but that won't mean that somebody couldn't be shot to enforce the law. Last Martial law here 1920.

Rules of engagement for AGS or Defence Forces do not allow use of firearms to "enforce law".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

They may rethink the get out a walk statements, the beach was absolutely thronged today. Everybody's going to the same public spots because nothing's opened

Skerries Beach was full of people today, I think most just wanted to get out for fresh air, kinda defeats the purpose though of social distancing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

There are a lot of people posting here with dogged determination to distance themselves from their "you're being hysterical" posts last week. Many of them weren't convinced of anything having seen those videos. Showing them this week to people I know who have not been taking this seriously, I was met with the same type of attitude.

By way of explanation, I'll adapt the Elbow lyric I posted a few weeks ago;
    "It's easy to ignore until they're welding shut the door of your homes".

Or maybe they don’t care about being proven wrong.

This whole thing reminds me though why people are discouraged from saying “I told you so” or similar. It’s the most useless, impotent sentiment and does nothing but rile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Going to be carnage at the dole offices - how are people temporarily laid off going to get money? They can't rock up to social welfare offices, they'll be locked down.

If you have the government social serve card and a letter from employment saying temporary laid off I think you can do online

Going to be carnage at the dole offices - how are people temporarily laid off going to get money? They can't rock up to social welfare offices, they'll be locked down.

Online has been up and running for a few days now. My sister was let go last Thursday and applied for JSA online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I'd say a lot will close over the next week or so with the country more or less in lockdown by the weekend. Bit by bit everything is about to shut! Extraordinary times and to think before this we would panic over a red alert storm for 24hours. Surreal is the new normal. The whole thing would have made a great film but I guess movie directors wouldn't have thought it believable!
    In a situation like this what would need to be left open ... pharmacy, supermarket , petrol stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

mygov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

rob316 wrote: »
    But we don't so why be so negative

Do you understand maths?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Skerries Beach was full of people today, I think most just wanted to get out for fresh air, kinda defeats the purpose though of social distancing

No it doesn't. Not if they were giving each other plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Pints tonight then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Route1 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea on policies of larger companies closing. Seems completely out of line with government policy to keep large work places open.

Hospitals need power everybody needs food and water and medical supplies.

40 new cases today if that holds true for Monday and Tuesday that is our cases doubled in 3 days.

For anybody losing their jobs over this I feel very sorry for them but others that have to go into work we feel terrified we will bring this crap home to elderly family members.

This is not nice for anybody I only hope we do not get looting like in the snow two years ago as this will make things ten times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

harr wrote: »
    In a situation like this what would need to be left open ... pharmacy, supermarket , petrol stations?

What about places for gas coal etc. People wud still need fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

elperello wrote: »
    Rules of engagement for AGS or Defence Forces do not allow use of firearms to "enforce law".

Caveat that with unless there is a threat to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I think Varadkar and Simon Harris are doing an outstanding job as they did on Brexit!! I didn't vote for them in last election primarily because of housing. However Leo is an excellent public speaker and when you see him sitting next to Arlene Foster last Saturday he looked like a person in complete control of a surreal situation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Inchadoney v busy too but when spread out in such a big space it was easy to stay more than 2 metres from anyone other than the odd couple of seconds in car park or a choke point.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pints tonight then?

In your armchair at home yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Hermy wrote: »
    Don't be.

A lot of people are going to get the virus but most of us who do will live to tell the tale.

This doctor for instance who got the virus and was well enough to be able to tell RTE about it shortly afterwards.

She's a shill for the "herd stupidity approach." Uk politics 101. If you want poor people to go along with something get a posh person on the news to say "I've done it and it's fine". People are very "aspirational" over there and won't hesitate to repeat what the posh person said. In this case she said it was bad but due to my exceptionally stiff upper lip I took it on the chin like a champ. :D

They should really interview the people who had it and died but they can't I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I’m finding the Italy deaths terrifying: 368 today, 250 yesterday, 189, 196 and so on. Relentlessly, day after day, what is it doing to the society? They must be running out of tears at this stage and being ruled by fear. God help them in this time of tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Andrew00 wrote: »
    My cousin in NUI was offered more hours for the coming week in LIDL but "wasn't arsed" because of the house parties near campus this coming week

Well if there is any landlord should evict them or guards called to clear it.

Students acting irresponsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Surely all the case numbers are meaningless

Massive numbers not being tested that have it

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Where's the video of the coffins in church in Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭zvone

This is how it look like in Italy....
    This "40 new cases" a misleading number. How many tests a done? I bet there is 100 new cases just in Temple bar but they don't know jet..
    Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    We are all on lockdown, staying at home, not seeing friends, just trying to stay safe. Only supermarkets and pharmacies are open and you have to queue outside before being allowed in, wearing a mask and surgical gloves. Once inside, there are boxes marked out on the floor and just one person at a time is allowed to enter the box. There has been no panic buying and the supermarkets are kept fully stocked all the time. However, the pharmacies here (it's not a large town) have run out of masks, hand sanitizer and surgical gloves. When going out - for emergencies only, including food shopping - it's necessary to have a form filled out - your name, ID number, address, where you are going - to show the police. They are stopping virtually everyone. If an older person (over 65) is stopped on the streets without good reason, they are sent directly home. People are, apparently, phoning the police if anyone is spotted walking outside. It's unbelievable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Just got clamped cos I parked on a street at the wrong time , it was allowed there up until the last time I parked there two months ago ! those guys are unreal ! No camaraderie

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

Good move closing the pubs tonight, is there a reason they aren't doing the same with restaurants and cafes etc? Surely it would make sense just to close everything at this stage.

Probably because restaurants and cafes are not frequented by substance addicted gob****es who refuse to listen the advice of medical professions and government and hence the people in them actually do distance themselves from other customers for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dickdonk14

For anyone interested and remembers the elderly couple from Northampton in the UK that were on the cruise ship in Japan and contracted Covid 19, are both now recovered and home in the UK.
    I was born and brought up in northampton they would of been safer staying on the ship ( joke )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Scotty # wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Not if they were giving each other plenty of space.

They weren't though, not on the path that runs along the beach, roughly about a meter apart, I even saw two friends greet each other with a kiss on the cheek when they ran into each other

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

irishgeo wrote: »
    Anymore recovered in Ireland. Just heard of the one case in cork?

The cluster of 4 in Limerick hospital, inc the GP from Clare, have been released following recovery and negative tests according to the news today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement