Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Couldn't be true. Gardai do not currently have the power to shut down pubs.
    They've been asked to close from midnight tonight

Think it was on Twitter, it can’t be false!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Do these lockdowns work or just kick the can down the road? is this not going away readily?..........like any other pandemic strains of flu (it's what it is) the only combat is vaccine and build up of immunity, the latter you only get by it's spread not hiding behind closed doors ................the reality we have to face is that some people are going to die from it, it's tragic and not avoidable .............the Spanish flu killed 60m people and is now what we call a seasonal flu

It is not the flu, its is not an influenza virus, there will be no vaccine nor immunity.

The Spanish flu is not the seasonal flu.

If anything this pandemic is showing the pure thick ignorance of some people.

All of the information on this is available online, anyone who had their head up their hole for the past two months should go educate themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Why are family and friends safer then somebody with training?

Surely it's more important to have less contact with people.

I'd agree with you on that. Most cases in china came from family members.

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1238604080571772928?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Guards raided Brogans and shut it down.

No more great Dublin forwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Is there any history from today's new confirmed cases?

Any linked with travel?
    Community transmission?
    Was the HSE in touch with them before now and asked them to isolate?

I wish the HSE would stop with this east, south, west nonsense and tell us exactly where the cases are so we can be more vigilant if it's in our area. Also there would be another benefit in letting the public know. There might be better containment. Eg. If I was to wake in the morning with cold like symptoms like a sore ear, sinus problems, dry mouth, cough, - I would probably think it's a cold and get up and continue with my day. If the virus was in my village or town, I would be more inclined to self isolate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

More men in the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

paul71 wrote: »
    7 pints a week is the definition.

7 pints @ 3.5% a week on drink aware is You are UNDER the low-risk alcohol weekly guidelines for a male

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Downlinz wrote: »
    I'm genuinely concerned there are enough of those kind of people that could very soon start pushing for a herd immunity type approach so they can go back to their pubs and watch their sport again.

I'm actually stunned how many people seem unable to cope after a couple of days of "staying inside", as if it were a form of torture to them. It's beyond comprehension. These people now seem like our biggest threat.

Artisic people dont have a problem staying in and being confined. They waste alot of time trying to keep alot of the outside world out anyway!
    Nine to five, drinks at the weekend people need to rediscover their artistic side, it can be done ,,,just have to find a way of keeping the kids and all others occupied first

can't go for a walk/ cycle in Spain anymore

they are on real lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It is not the flu, its is not an influenza virus, there will be no vaccine nor immunity.

The Spanish flu is not the seasonal flu.

If anything this pandemic is showing the pure thick ignorance of some people.

All of the information on this is available online, anyone who had their head up their hole for the past two months should go educate themselves.

There will be a vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The pub across the road and those sheep shaggers outside of Dublin will soon have their taps run dry and there will be no more coming.

Sorted.

'Sheep Shaggers' indeed. We have our own sources here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

Strazdas wrote: »
    No pub in Ireland would even dare defy this instruction tomorrow. It won't be an issue.

If they had any decency they'd be closed now. Any pubs open tonight should be named and shamed and hopefully sees a drop in trade when they reopen. Theres even lads in the north closing of their own accord

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dickdonk14

As an englishman living in ireland and looking at the british and irish approach to the covid 19. Im glad i live here. Its just a shame my old man ( 75 years old ) is stuck now with the possibility of isolation for months back in england.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Thumbs up: Anyone that got to get essential supplies. Remember most supermarkets close earlier on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Nemesis wrote: »
    More men in the pubs.

Today was a dry day. Many women delighted to stay at home and get some laundry washed and dry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

owlbethere wrote: »
    I wish the HSE would stop with this east, south, west nonsense and tell us exactly where the cases are so we can be more vigilant if it's in our area.

The problem though is if you do that, people in unaffected areas will relax in a way that facilitates the spread from unconfirmed cases.

By being vague, they keep more people in a heightened state of vigilance.

I'll also be honest, you'd be nuts to think there's only the cases that are confirmed right now. This is way, way more widespread than the 150 odd people who they've confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

threeball wrote: »
    All the thicks will run across the border tuesday for a few scoops too.
    That's likely.
    This week-end, Belgians (whose bars and restaurants are closed) crowded the border towns in the Netherlands...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

dickdonk14 wrote: »
    As an englishman living in ireland and looking at the british and irish approach to the covid 19. Im glad i live here. Its just a shame my old man ( 75 years old ) is stuck now with the possibility of isolation for months back in england.

Yes nice of good old Boris telling the old business as usual just go and dig a hole for four months.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

harr wrote: »
    I know it was mentioned before but Facebook and the likes needs to be curtailed in someways for the next couple of weeks. The amount of utter rubbish and sensational posts is mad , and the amount of people believing them is even worse. The latest one claims each shop will have army personnel posted outside to stop panic buying and to in force crowd control....happening Tuesday apparently :rolleyes:

Reddit have implemented a new rule where stuff from Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp messages, The Sun etc cant be posted. Basically anything that is “fake news” or deliberately trying to wind people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

So what exactly are you suggesting?
    This can’t be defeated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ok.
    What cull are you referring too, are they not asking the over 60 to isolate?

Seriously? How does a special needs adult self isolate?
    A bed ridden person?

Say, a fit 60 year old, who shops online, who handles their groceries? Their drugs? What about a electrician into the house to fix something? Say they have a burst pipe. If eveyone else has COVID19 what are they to do.

What if they break an arm/leg? Stay home?

Herd immunity my arse..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Couldn't be true. Gardai do not currently have the power to shut down pubs.
    They've been asked to close from midnight tonight

Add that to the list of not being able to stop parades, close schools, close borders. We are going to learn a lot about legislation in an emergency. You'll probably find plenty of new powers on the statute book to deal with this crisis in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

glasso wrote: »
    can't go for a walk/ cycle in Spain anymore

they are on real lockdown

They should have batoned the clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Are pubs that serve food allowed to stay open?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tootsie_1 wrote: »

Does not tell you this old lockdown is completely pointless. If we cant keep 1 isolated women safe then what is the point.

J7YrOZg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is France announcing their figures today or is 30 new cases and 29 deaths the actual figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Guards raided Brogans and shut it down.

Source ? I ask. Because that pub said it was closing yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

spookwoman wrote: »
    7 pints @ 3.5% a week on drink aware is You are UNDER the low-risk alcohol weekly guidelines for a male

14 units, 7 pints a week = alcoholic

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/alcoholic-drinks-units/how-much-is-too-much/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There will be a vaccine.

In maybe 9 months

Look at the numbers today
    169 cases

Say it doubles every three days then tomorrow fortnight on March 30 we would expect to go from 169 to 338 then 676 then 1352 until hitting 2704 on March 30

10% of those would need ICU which would be 270 which is most of our ICU beds at this time

And it assumes people obey social distancing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement