Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    But very satisfying. Especially when week after week of trying to warn people on here what was coming they were scoffed at, ridiculed, accused of scare mongering and shut down in every way possible.
    Tiny chancer has never stopped trying to warn us.

The ridiculers should be very ashamed of themselves right now.
    But you are right, the idiots have moved on to new people to ridicule.
    Or maybe they're currently in the pub...

Well, Seabreezes, you are the poster who said covid-19 was a combo of SARS and HIV. Any accusation you received of scaremongering because of that was well-deserved.

And satisfying? This isn’t a game. I’m one of the immunocompromised people. From my position, any kind of glee and points-scoring looks utterly pathetic. Because it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

glasso wrote: »
    can't go for a walk/ cycle in Spain anymore

they are on real lockdown

Fair play to them...but shouting in someone's face is not going to stop the spread of things....

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Headshot wrote: »
    I believe Community testing is coming in next week, anyone have any idea how that will work?

Coming to where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

niallo27 wrote: »
    Does not tell you this old lockdown is completely pointless. If we cant keep 1 isolated women safe then what is the point.

Isolated my hole. I barely meet as many people in a day as this woman was. 5 different visitors with god knows how many connections. Look up the definition of isolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

grouchyman wrote: »
    Plenty of rubbish being posted here as well.

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Stheno wrote: »
    In maybe 9 months

Look at the numbers today
    169 cases

Say it doubles every three days then tomorrow fortnight on March 30 we would expect to go from 169 to 338 then 676 then 1352 until hitting 2704 on March 30

10% of those would need ICU which would be 270 which is most of our ICU beds at this time

And it assumes people obey social distancing.

I agree the vaccine will take time. I was correcting the poster who said there would be no vaccine.

Hospitalisation figures vary. 10% needing ICU beds is about as high as I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

paul71 wrote: »

hardly though...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is France announcing their figures today or is 30 new cases and 29 deaths the actual figures?

901 new cases and 29 new deaths in France today. Both new daily highs for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Probably because restaurants and cafes are not frequented by substance addicted gob****es who refuse to listen the advice of medical professions and government and hence the people in them actually do distance themselves from other customers for the most part.
    I think restaurants and cafes can at least remove tables and apply 'social distancing'.
    Pubs can't really.
    I can't see even those staying open officially for very long - takeaways will maybe keep them afloat for a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

owlbethere wrote: »

I wish the HSE would stop with this east, south, west nonsense and tell us exactly where the cases are so we can be more vigilant if it's in our area. Also there would be another benefit in letting the public know. There might be better containment. Eg. If I was to wake in the morning with cold like symptoms like a sore ear, sinus problems, dry mouth, cough, - I would probably think it's a cold and get up and continue with my day. If the virus was in my village or town, I would be more inclined to self isolate.

You should assume it is in your area. Assume your neighbours have it, assume the shopkeeper has it. Lots are asymptomatic, be extremely vigilant at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

grouchyman wrote: »
    Coming to where?

Several centres around the country apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It is not the flu, its is not an influenza virus, there will be no vaccine nor immunity.

The Spanish flu is not the seasonal flu.

If anything this pandemic is showing the pure thick ignorance of some people.

All of the information on this is available online, anyone who had their head up their hole for the past two months should go educate themselves.

What is it? cancer? aids? ebola?

it's a novel strain a new strain , the Spanish flu was then a novel virus too at that time

Is this the tone you give in lectures to your worldwide audience on your knowledge all things pandemics and virus's .............or as you say you're just getting your knowledge from that there internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,297 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I believe Community testing is coming in next week, anyone have any idea how that will work?

For everyone? I assume local GP would test

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

glasso wrote: »
    can't go for a walk/ cycle in Spain anymore

they are on real lockdown

Massive overkill IMO. Someone is cycling on their own Down an empty street, so a couple of cops crowd around him thereby increasing the possibility of the virus spreading if they or he has it.

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

They should have batoned the clown.

im in spain and to be fair i find it harsh. a solo cyclist or jogger is less risk than being allowed go to the supermarket. its hard to get the head around.

also , not everyone here has a car (i don't), so if i cycle to the shop to get my supplies am I going to get a belt off a power trippy cop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

A few posters have been commenting that drink and St. Patrick's Day is a recent thing.. afraid not..

'Drowning the Shamrock on St. Patrick's Day is an age old custom, with origins to the Saint himself. ... The drowning of the shamrock takes place at the end of the celebrations on St. Patrick's Night , when shamrock is dunked into the last glass of whiskey then drunk during a toast to the saint.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

"We are committed to working with the industry to continue to see other ways pubs might be able to provide other services and the likes at an appropriate time”

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It is not the flu, its is not an influenza virus, there will be no vaccine nor immunity.

The Spanish flu is not the seasonal flu.

If anything this pandemic is showing the pure thick ignorance of some people.

All of the information on this is available online, anyone who had their head up their hole for the past two months should go educate themselves.

There’ll be no immunity? Flu isn’t the only thing people gain immunity to. :confused:

A vaccine is also likely to happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I agree the vaccine will take time. I was correcting the poster who said there would be no vaccine.

Hospitalisation figures vary. 10% needing ICU beds is about as high as I've seen.

Yes agree on ICU I was being pessimistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,297 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

40 new cases today, any idea where?

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

EDit wrote: »
    Massive overkill IMO. Someone is cycling on their own Down an empty street, so a couple of cops crowd around him thereby increasing the possibility of the virus spreading if they or he has it.

exactly. if its a gang of lads sitting outside a shop by all means run them out of it.

a guy on his bike. no need for that carry on . they are loving it. " I'm not your friend" the cops veil slipped fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Probably on the same lines are is being done in Cork.
    Gp will assess you over the phone and book you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

ITman88 wrote: »
    My apologies if my post was vacuous and childish I did not mean for it to be interpreted that way and I’m sorry for any offence I caused you.
    China may have shown the way you’re correct, my point is it’s early days as regards if China have beat this virus and we can reevaluate come Next year hopefully.
    I didn’t mean to start a debate about which policy on Coronavirus is the right approach I just was trying to articulate that we don’t know which approach is best until some stage in the next few years and the Coronavirus is a thing of the past.

The we will look back and be able to evaluate which approach was best and how to best put policies in place for similar outbreaks in the future.

I may not have articulated this response very well and I hope I don’t offend anyone

We do know what the best approach is, that's the whole point. The Chinese have shown the way and most of the rest of the world accept that and are trying to copy what they did because it works.

The Brits appear to be the only ones with stupid ideas of their own. Get your head out of the sand and wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭spookwoman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    40 new cases today, any idea where?

just the usual

The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been informed of 40 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland:

23 males, 17 females https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/#march-15
    25 are associated with the east of the country
    9 are associated with the west
    6 are associated with the south

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭paul71

niallo27 wrote: »
    Does not tell you this old lockdown is completely pointless. If we cant keep 1 isolated women safe then what is the point.

Lockdown will never stop spread of a virus, it is not even designed to that could only be achieved with complete isolation of every individual from everyone else over the maximum period of time from contraction to recovery. That is impossible. Lockdown can only slow the spread, hopefully to a level were health services have some hope of dealing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

TheCitizen wrote: »
    We do know what the best approach is, that's the whole point. The Chinese have shown the way and most of the rest of the world accept that and are trying to copy what they did because it works.

The Brits appear to be the only ones with stupid ideas of their own. Get your head out of the sand and wake up.

China run away from the Tiger and hide.

Boris soil your pants maybe the tiger will avoid the stink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Lockdown will never stop spread of a virus, it not even designed too that could only be achieved with complete isolation of every individual from everyone else over the maximum period of time from from contraction to recovery. That is impossible. Lockdown can only slow the spread, hopefully to a level were health services have some hope of dealing with it.
    Exactly. It reduces risk not completely illuminates it.

I can't understand this attitude. Oh well if there is any risk we may as well do nothing at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement