Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

saabsaab wrote: »
    Hopefully not too bleak a question but what is the burial/cremation capacity per month in Ireland? Anyone have an idea?
    Have been told by an undertaker that it will be cremation with no one in attendance, you will be given a urn of ashes in a few months time . It’s very tragic and will be devastating for people. The younger generation will have a lot of growing up to do in the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,477 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I personally think people should get fined for spreading bullsh**t on social media

Social media is a refuge for attention seekers, bullshît merchants , no surprise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Do you this this virus is all over Africa, but they just don't have the resources to track or test for it? A lot of Chinese contractors based in African nations today.

I see 3 possibilities:
    - it isn’t there yet (I think it is very unlikely)
    - it is there but is undetected and unreported (IMO the most likely scenario)
    - it can’t settle in those countries due to their climate (possible, but probably not the most likely)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

dan786 wrote: »

How is Germany so much better on the mortality rate than everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

dougm1970 wrote: »
    switzerland's number are getting really high.

has putin made any addresses or anything about russia's testing or how "well" they are doing ?

Couldn't believe anything he says if he did

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

ITman88 wrote: »
    Well that’s bleak. If that’s the case what will a lockdown for 2 weeks achieve?

Dont see the point either. China is reopening even though they still have a few cases.

I know its tough but most of those that die were pretty ill anyway.

If thing here get as bad as it Italy total would be about 150 dead, on a per capita basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

YFlyer wrote: »
    Thumbs up: Anyone that got to get essential supplies. Remember most supermarkets close earlier on a Sunday.

And they reopen tomorrow morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Were they distilling whiskey in the 6th century?

Probably meade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A bit scary that the French ministry for health issued a warning for ibuprofen use and the HSE have no idea about it...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I linked to the medical articles in question, if you didn't bother to read them that's on you. It is This viruses HIV properties that makes it more infectious than the original SARS... It is SARS with HIV properties.. And we are still learning..

No. You are wrong. It has one part of its structure that is similar to a part of the HIV genome.

I know you are going to mention Kaletra so here are the mechanism of actions...

Lopinavir and ritonavir are protease inhibitors, which block viral replication.
    Lopinavir seems to be the agent which actually acts on the virus. Ritonavir is a CYP3A inhibitor which functions primarily to reduce metabolism of lopinavir, thereby boosting lopinavir
    levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yes those with paper clip lacerations are now staying at home. Was wondering how the trolleys were coping, it was 600 odd waiting a couple weeks back.

A truly remarkable reduction in self presenting for A/E at the moment.

Someone will figure it out in time, I am sure. And hopefully will present their results for the future trolley watch experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lostpas5235

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Yep. A vaccine to what? One strain? Two? This virus is mutating and there are 14 strains documented in USA alone. God knows how many in Italy. And nobody knows how many will be there next year.
    It all seems to point out to simple survival of the fittest.

Source on the number of strains?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Seeing Ireland going into shutdown, along with countless other countries around Europe, makes me feel like I'm living on another planet here in the UK.

Had to pop out for some groceries today and the amount of people walking around the city centre coughing was alarming.

The virus was a joke to everyone in work last week and I assume nothing will change tomorrow either. I feel like everyone in this country is a week behind on the news elsewhere nevermind the infection rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ok I see your point I’m quiet open minded regarding this thing.

My point is, why exactly is the Chinese approach correct? Lots of people said earlier on the Chinese can’t be believed on numbers of infections, and even if they can, until they lift the restrictions, and then have no more cases of the virus, can we say that approach has worked.

This is a long road ahead, and we need a calm measured approach, and none of us can say which approach is best.

If Wuhan has eradicated this with the lockdown it’s fantastic news, and thats the approach to take now and for future pandemic’s. We won’t know until some time in the future has that approach worked.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2020/03/13/china-says-its-covid-19-peak-is-over

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-hangzhou-zhejiang-government-response/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2020/03/12/china-and-south-korea-models-seem-like-only-way-to-contain-covid-19/#5dae2d0d47d3

Have a read of some reputable commentary on this. The Brits are making an arse of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wrex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Yep. A vaccine to what? One strain? Two? This virus is mutating and there are 1 strains documented in USA alone. God knows how many in Italy. And nobody knows how many will be there next year.
    It all seems to point out to simple survival of the fittest.

This is A1"herd stupidity". Why stop there? Seen as though viruses can't be stopped smallpox should be released to really sort out the herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Happy Shut Down Day everybody. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

threeball wrote: »

I was wondering the same myself. It's been a trend for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

paul71 wrote: »
    Lockdown will never stop spread of a virus, it is not even designed to that could only be achieved with complete isolation of every individual from everyone else over the maximum period of time from contraction to recovery. That is impossible. Lockdown can only slow the spread, hopefully to a level were health services have some hope of dealing with it.

There are numerous posters on this thread that refuse to see that this is what's being attempted. I don't know whether they're trolling, displaying wilful ignorance, or - in one or two cases in particular - attempting to justify to themselves why they're not selfish pricks in going out and getting shítfaced in a crowded pub whenever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

threeball wrote: »

They probably have the most ICU capacity.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

saabsaab wrote: »
    Hopefully not too bleak a question but what is the burial/cremation capacity per month in Ireland? Anyone have an idea?

In Ireland on an average month we cremate/bury 2400 people.

In Italy on an average month they cremate/bury 45000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Chart of general source category of cases in Ireland from 29th of February to 13th of March when they stopped giving breakdown, this all depends on who is and the amount of tests of course, big jump of local known contact positive results on afternoon of the the 12th, thats the Thursday morning they shut down the schools
    pubchart?oid=900448290&format=image
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u-WvPoUJADZLvkwdkHOJj-oLviMRsn3jVYjI_QWMzJ0/edit?usp=sharing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GiveawayReborn

Bob24 wrote: »
    I see 3 possibilities:
    - it isn’t there yet (I think it is very unlikely)
    - it is there but is undetected and unreported (IMO the most likely scenario)
    - it can’t settle in those countries due to their climate (possible, but probably not the most likely)

Or when your are living in a city of millions, with no sewerage system, abject poverty and active outbreaks of tuberculosis,cholera, dengue, malaria, with a predominately young population and low life expectancy(very few elderly): COVID19 doesn't seem that scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Juts received this from the caretaker of my apt complex (200 apartments)
    It's a group where only he and apt management can send messages.

I mean? WTF like.

Bins and rubbish services will be one of the necessary services IF there is a full 'lockdown'
    There's no social contact required to collect a bloody bin or tagged bag.
    He's a sound guy but this is just panicky made up bullsh1te 101 (never mind his spelling)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

VinLieger wrote: »
    Rubbish, there may be a lockdown coming, it may even happen tomorrow but that whatsapp message is fvcking steaming hot garbage

Is it the one purporting to be friend of a friend who's husband is a garda and just came out of a meeting about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,477 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

cosanostra wrote: »
    Could the dept of public health use their powers to shut non complaint pubs in the interest of public safety, im pretty sure they could find a number of breaches of hygiene rules anyway to serve a closure order the pubs would soon get the message

With about 7300 pubs in Ireland over hundreds of square miles, it would take some amount of time and resources. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

Putin passed a law that might give him another 16 years...

https://www.thejournal.ie/putin-signs-law-to-keep-himself-in-power-5046544-Mar2020/
    dougm1970 wrote: »
    switzerland's number are getting really high.

has putin made any addresses or anything about russia's testing or how "well" they are doing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

youtube! wrote: »
    So what can be done then?

Extreme controls for several months a la China.

Would need to be a concerted global effort though to stamp it out completely.

We are vulnerable given the current UK approach and shared border.

Otherwise we learn to live (or not) with it.

It's ability to survive and spread readily in hot countries means we probably won't have the benefit of a die off from the virus like other seasonal infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

Yes those with paper clip lacerations are now staying at home. Was wondering how the trolleys were coping, it was 600 odd waiting a couple weeks back.

Alot of that is down to insurance and GP's being terrified to deal with anything for fear of getting sued so everyone gets referred to A&E. If one good thing comes from this it might be that it exposes that issue and its resolved once and for all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

On a side note, The HSE trolley watch figures show only 18 people on trolley's today compared to over 350 last week and 179 this day last year. I see reports of ED departments being very quiet. Just show the abuse of the system previously and it has taken something as serious as COVID19(or the fear of COVID19) to change behaviour

That's madness.

All these years of trolley crisis etc might just have been idiots turning up wasting the hospitals time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement