Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Seeing Ireland going into shutdown, along with countless other countries around Europe, makes me feel like I'm living on another planet here in the UK.

Had to pop out for some groceries today and the amount of people walking around the city centre coughing was alarming.

The virus was a joke to everyone in work last week and I assume nothing will change tomorrow either. I feel like everyone in this country is a week behind on the news elsewhere nevermind the infection rate.

The Brits are crazy. The NHS will implode in 2 weeks time.

(Note that while we are doing more, I still don’t think ireland as a while as fully grasped the situation and what needs a to be done).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I linked to the medical articles in question, if you didn't bother to read them that's on you. It is This viruses HIV properties that makes it more infectious than the original SARS... It is SARS with HIV properties.. And we are still learning..

I did read them and they did not say what you think they did. I mean, you read them and didn’t understand them so clearly reading alone is not enough. The virus produces some similar symptoms to HIV. Lots of different diseases have similar symptoms, that what differential diagnoses are. And shared genes also mean nothing. Humans share genes with many different species.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

We've a second house in the country side in Northern Ireland.

I toyed with the idea of bringing the family up there until this is over as it's more secluded and the kids have much more room to play outside - we live in Dublin.

What's people thoughts on this? Would I be mad to leave this jurisdiction in case I can't get back in. Or if I didnt get it up there somehow - would it be an issue getting treatment if needed.

What's your opinions folks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A truly remarkable reduction in self presenting for A/E at the moment.
    Someone will figure it out in time, I am sure. And hopefully will present their results for the future trolley watch experts.

And also track any spikes in deaths from other conditions during the period.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Juts received this from the caretaker of my apt complex (200 apartments)
    It's a group where only he and apt management can send messages.

I mean? WTF like.

Bins and rubbish services will be one of the necessary services IF there is a full 'lockdown'
    There's no social contact required to collect a bloody bin or tagged bag.
    He's a sound guy but this is just panicky made up bullsh1te 101 (never mind his spelling)

Absolute rubbish. You’re lucky that you know it’s rubbish, some more vulnerable tenants may not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

odyssey06 wrote: »
    A bit scary that the French ministry for health issued a warning for ibuprofen use and the HSE have no idea about it...

Until there is absolute definitive proof they are not gonna start advising one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

lawred2 wrote: »
    And they reopen tomorrow morning

And the next morning.
    Until they do not.
    Breaking news from the land of the free:

BREAKING: Federal government to control and oversee grocery distribution with govt / private sector partnerships: Wal-Mart, Costco, Target, Kroger, top grocery chains to be deemed “critical infrastructure” … National Guard to protect key distribution points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Grafton barbers closing all shops under further notice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GraftonBarber/status/1239282450506952709

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

odyssey06 wrote: »
    A bit scary that the French ministry for health issued a warning for ibuprofen use and the HSE have no idea about it...

Generally if you have asthma or any respiratory condition ibuprofen is not recommended.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Would you please at least read the sources you're quoting first?

However, according to Dr Stephen Gluckman, an infectious diseases physician at Penn Medicine and the medical director of Penn Global Medicine, who spoke to the outlet, it seems likely that having the disease once results in immunity in most individuals - as is seen with other coronaviruses.

“Coronaviruses aren’t new, they’ve been around for a long, long time and many species - not just humans - get them,” he explained. “So we know a fair amount about coronaviruses in general. For the most part, the feeling is once you’ve had a specific coronavirus, you are immune. We don’t have enough data to say that with this coronavirus, but it is likely.”

This means that people who initially recovered are more likely to relapse rather than get reinfected with the virus.

According to one study, people with mild infections can test positive for the virus by throat swabs “for days and even weeks after their illness”.

But, that doesn’t mean it isn’t possible to contract the disease again, especially in those who are immunocompromised.

“The immune response to Covid-19 is not yet understood,” the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explains. “Patients with MERS-CoV infection are unlikely to be reinfected shortly after they recover, but it is not yet known whether similar immune protection will be observed for patients with Covid-19.”.

So it seems the main takeaway is that we're not precisely sure about this virus, but if it follows other coronaviruses already observed in people survivors will be immune to that particular strain. So "no known immunity" as you call would make it a major outlier in coronaviruses and more about scaremongering than a statement based on facts, even at this early stage.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Dr Michael J Ryan, Executive Director at WHO.

A brilliant off the cuff answer to a question at a recent virtual press conference. "The greatest error is not to move" and "speed trumps perfection" when it comes to dealing with an outbreak.

In fairness, the sort of emergency medical response needed right now, is totally new to practically everyone in the developed world. The expertise needed is mainly confined to those who have had to deal with horrible epidemics like Ebola. Unfortunately his plea to go in hard and early has not been evident in the response of most western countries, and the sad result is unfolding before our eyes.

I wish he was back here in Ireland directing our response to this horrible virus.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1238504143104421888

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GiveawayReborn

Source on the number of strains?

Coronavirus's seem to mutate rapidly. While difficult to develop vaccinnes, one can hope that such rapid mutations are likely to produce less virulent forms of COVID19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's madness.

All these years of trolley crisis etc might just have been idiots turning up wasting the hospitals time.

GPs are part of the problem. Happily sending people into ED in exchange for 60quid and an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Genghis

I mean? WTF like.

Bins and rubbish services will be one of the necessary services IF there is a full 'lockdown'
    He's a sound guy but this is just panicky made up bullsh1te 101 (never mind his spelling)

Absolutely ridiculous. Is the sender prone to drama?

Source on the number of strains?

https://nextstrain.org/

We've a second house in the country side in Northern Ireland.

I toyed with the idea of bringing the family up there until this is over as it's more secluded and the kids have much more room to play outside - we live in Dublin.

What's people thoughts on this? Would I be mad to leave this jurisdiction in case I can't get back in. Or if I didnt get it up there somehow - would it be an issue getting treatment if needed.

What's your opinions folks ?

The border wont be closed (part me suspects brits are trying to.force ireland in brexit negociations)

Conspiracy outta the way....if your living in city and house in the north is rural and can afford to be away for upto 6 weeks....seems a complete no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Extreme controls for several months a la China.

Would need to be a concerted global effort though to stamp it out completely.

We are vulnerable given the current UK approach and shared border.

Otherwise we learn to live (or not) with it.

It's ability to survive and spread readily in hot countries means we probably won't have the benefit of a die off from the virus like other seasonal infections.
    Bleak.
    This is quiet an eye opener on the doomsday scenario we are facing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

dan786 wrote: »

No wonder countries closing borders.

France and Germany. Over 1,600 new cases in Germany alone today. 6 new deaths there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

VinLieger wrote: »
    Rubbish, there may be a lockdown coming, it may even happen tomorrow but that whatsapp message is fvcking steaming hot garbage
    I didn't hear it on what's app but I suppose the only way to know is it true or not is wait until 11am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Extreme controls for several months a la China.

Would need to be a concerted global effort though to stamp it out completely.

We are vulnerable given the current UK approach and shared border.

Otherwise we learn to live (or not) with it.

It's ability to survive and spread readily in hot countries means we probably won't have the benefit of a die off from the virus like other seasonal infections.

Agree with everything you said. Just to add UK looks to be rolling back on "herd stupidity". Seems they've go straight to stage 4.

"‘Herd immunity’ is not our policy, says UK’s health secretary"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/herd-immunity-is-not-our-policy-says-uk-s-health-secretary-1.4203637

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

threeball wrote: »
    I do however think that allowing flights unhindered is a mistake.

Had to allow Irish people to return home from holidays but big mistake to not even ask them to take a couple of weeks off and see if they developed any symptoms at home.

Fairly shocking rise of deaths in Italy in last 24 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

It is not the flu, its is not an influenza virus, there will be no vaccine nor immunity.

The Spanish flu is not the seasonal flu.

If anything this pandemic is showing the pure thick ignorance of some people.

All of the information on this is available online, anyone who had their head up their hole for the past two months should go educate themselves.

Very OTT.

Sure we are talking about a coronavirus and not a Flu. But both are virus resulting in a global pandemic. What we do not know is whether or not it will act like the Spanish Flu by reappearing in a number of successive waves. The eventual outcome will depend on this. If it comes in waves, will populations exposed in the first wave have any immunity in the second wave? It is not ignorant to consider this. The third wave of the Spanish Flu in Ireland had relatively mild impact in areas that had been severely impacted in earlier waves, but it struck harshly in areas (the west) that had been largely spared previously.

The Spanish Flu was a H1N1 variant, a subtype of Influena A. Variants of Influena A are common in seasonal Flu (but we know Covid-19 is not a Flu, OK?).
    And as to a vaccine - we do not know if one will be successfully developed. AFAIK there was no vaccine developed for SARS, another coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

ITman88 wrote: »
    Well that’s bleak. If that’s the case what will a lockdown for 2 weeks achieve?

It has been said numerous times, slow the rate of spread to a level that health services can hopefully cope with.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dickdonk14

What?? And he won't have to isolate living in Ireland??

Its more the fact he is a widower so left on his own. He doesn't do internet. He loves them company of other people. I honestly think the solitude will finish him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

The border wont be closed (part me suspects brits are trying to.force ireland in brexit negociations)

Conspiracy outta the way....if your living in city and house in the north is rural and can afford to be away for upto 6 weeks....seems a complete no brainer

To be honest a week ago, a lockdown or completely closing down of various systems in Ireland never crossed my mind. Now I'm beginning to think that anything is possible . Locking down the border is in the back of my mind as is a whole host of other doomsday scenarios .

I'm struggling to think straight its moving that fast .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Irish citizens being told to come home from Spain before Thursday

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I mean? WTF like.

Relax he's just a caretaker trying to get all the tenants to get rid of as much of their waste as possible tomorrow.

It's above his pay grade to know if waste services will be suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

glack wrote: »
    Gloves aren’t hugely effective for the general public. The danger from your hands is not your hands themselves touching the virus, but more you then touch your face with those germ covered hands. That risk still exists when you wear gloves. They give a false sense of security. Regular hand washing and keeping your hands from your face is the key!!

I put the disposable gloves on before getting out of the car and took them off after returning the trolley having placed the groceries in the car

Also managed not to touch my face during the shopping exercise

• Advertisement

This is A1"herd stupidity". Why stop there? Seen as though viruses can't be stopped smallpox should be released to really sort out the herd.

You need to educate yourself on viruses a little more.
    There are many types of viruses and what works with some do not work with others.
    I agree that herd stupidity is quite prevalent here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement