Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Need to start giving Simon Harris some credit. He cancelled the Irish v Italy rugby game at a time when it was considered premature and unpopular by many.

It should be made very clear to every publican now that any lock in, however small, means their license will be automatically cancelled and they never can apply for another one.

Also anyone found on a licensed premises who is in receipt of the emergency job seekers should have it stopped immediately and anyone working should be severely fined.

Time to get real.

Funniest post yet, bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Agree with everything you said. Just to add UK looks to be rolling back on "herd stupidity". Seems they've go straight to stage 4.

"‘Herd immunity’ is not our policy, says UK’s health secretary"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/herd-immunity-is-not-our-policy-says-uk-s-health-secretary-1.4203637

Not much has changed with that lot. Tell you to your face that they never said what they are on record as saying last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

New York City mayor considering complete shutdown of New York saying everything is on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Irish citizens being told to come home from Spain before Thursday

Airport will be closed Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Genghis wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous. Is the sender prone to drama?
    No!
    It's out of the blue, messages are usually straightforward businesslike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

For all flights?!
    Italy and spain would be a good start...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭blackcard

Larbre34 wrote: »
    This was discussed weeks ago.

For those of a religious faith that die, mass (as in collective, not Catholic) funerals will be held where rites will be administered. Either a tiny number or no mourners will be allowed attend. The remains will then be taken for collective cremation and no ashes will be returned to relatives.

Incidentally, this will affect anyone who dies from whatever cause during this crisis. Burials will effectively stop.

Is this correct? I thought that there will be restrictions on the number of people attending a funeral but burials to go ahead as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

What airport will be closed on thursday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

lawred2 wrote: »
    GPs are part of the problem. Happily sending people into ED in exchange for 60quid and an easy life.

Yep

Got sent in with a gp letter over nothing

Was 5pm gp in a rush home

Nurse wanted to know what I was doing there

• Registered Users Posts: 86,730 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do hotel bars close also even for residents?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Irish citizens being told to come home from Spain before Thursday

Know of a few willingly staying there, their attitude is we can't do anything or see family either place. Good call imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

No. You are wrong. It has one part of its structure that is similar to a part of the HIV genome.

Exactly.

Nope wasn't going to mention any Drugs, your the fantasist pharmacist.. On the frontline..

Surprised you have time to be on boards at all with so much to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

paul71 wrote: »
    It has been said numerous times, slow the rate of spread to a level that health services can hopefully cope with.

Yes but if you read the rest of the post I replied to, with no immunity or vaccine the rest of our lives will be a cycle of lockdown after lockdown until we eventually pass on.
    If that’s the case would survival of the fittest not be the best policy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

No, the reason is that the Spanish government has committed to keeping its airports open until midnight on Thursday and will facilitate flights coming from Ireland to take holidaymakers home.

Nothing to do with Irish airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

New York City mayor considering complete shutdown of New York saying everything is on the table.
    They need Chadwick Boseman stat to do the bridges!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I'll be honest...

I'm not going to be seeing school until September, will I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

We've a second house in the country side in Northern Ireland.

I toyed with the idea of bringing the family up there until this is over as it's more secluded and the kids have much more room to play outside - we live in Dublin.

What's people thoughts on this? Would I be mad to leave this jurisdiction in case I can't get back in. Or if I didnt get it up there somehow - would it be an issue getting treatment if needed.

What's your opinions folks ?

I've heard of another family thinking like this. Reported to have caused problems in Italy when people went off to holiday homes in the Alps/ seaside and spread it further.

As to travel, hard to see how the border here could be sealed - there are so many road crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

ITman88 wrote: »
    Well that’s bleak. If that’s the case what will a lockdown for 2 weeks achieve?

It's going to be a lot longer than two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

On a side note, The HSE trolley watch figures show only 18 people on trolley's today compared to over 350 last week and 179 this day last year. I see reports of ED departments being very quiet. Just show the abuse of the system previously and it has taken something as serious as COVID19(or the fear of COVID19) to change behaviour

Very true. Some of the drop will be attibuted to little to no sports injuries at the moment.

On a general note, maybe this will mark a long term shift but thats not very likely. Irish people love going to A&E, spending hourd there for a minor matter, then complaining about the wasted hours to Joe Duffy or other outlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

1641 wrote: »
    Very OTT.

Sure we are talking about a coronavirus and not a Flu. But both are virus resulting in a global pandemic. What we do not know is whether or not it will act like the Spanish Flu by reappearing in a number of successive waves. The eventual outcome will depend on this. If it comes in waves, will populations exposed in the first wave have any immunity in the second wave? It is not ignorant to consider this. The third wave of the Spanish Flu in Ireland had relatively mild impact in areas that had been severely impacted in earlier waves, but it struck harshly in areas (the west) that had been largely spared previously.

The Spanish Flu was a H1N1 variant, a subtype of Influena A. Variants of Influena A are common in seasonal Flu (but we know Covid-19 is not a Flu, OK?).
    And as to a vaccine - we do not know if one will be successfully developed. AFAIK there was no vaccine developed for SARS, another coronavirus.

Yes but that was because no white people got it. / It was contained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do hotel bars close also even for residents?

Who cares really. Everyone just needs to learn to stay away from others for the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

TTLF wrote: »
    I'll be honest...

I'm not going to be seeing school until September, will I?

I'd say not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

blackcard wrote: »
    Is this correct? I thought that there will be restrictions on the number of people attending a funeral but burials to go ahead as normal

That is certainly my understanding from this report:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-funerals-to-be-held-under-controlled-conditions-1.4202127

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yes but that was because no white people got it.

What a stupid thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

New cases worldwide up about 2k over yesterday, 12.3k new cases today with 670 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

I was wondering the same myself. It's been a trend for a while now.
    I read somewhere, but I can’t find the source now withso many news every few minutes, that for example in Spain they assumed everyone with even mild symptoms had it and only were going to test people on the mend.
    Germany on the other hand recorded only deaths as coronavirus if the person had no other pathologies, so a person with cancer for example who got the virus and passed away would be counted as death because of the cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

ITman88 wrote: »
    Yes but if you read the rest of the post I replied to, with no immunity or vaccine the rest of our lives will be a cycle of lockdown after lockdown until we eventually pass on.
    If that’s the case would survival of the fittest not be the best policy

Immunity comes with infection and recovery or vaccine. Most of what I have read says a vaccine normally takes a year to develop.

Grafton barbers closing all shops under further notice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GraftonBarber/status/1239282450506952709

glad I got that quick haircut there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Visited my parents today (aged 67 and 69) because they wanted me to. Full of fear and regret now :(

• Advertisement

To be honest a week ago, a lockdown or completely closing down of various systems in Ireland never crossed my mind. Now I'm beginning to think that anything is possible . Locking down the border is in the back of my mind as is a whole host of other doomsday scenarios .

I'm struggling to think straight its moving that fast .

Id go (assuming you can with work etc),realistically kids arent going back before end of easter holidays,if not september

If you own property here,you'll be allowed back in....even if border sealed its impossible to do so,just find backroad

Look after your family first

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement