Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭micks_address

Downlinz wrote: »
    Really huge numbers from Germany, France and Spain today. It's like we've got 3 more Italy's now hitting crisis point at the same time.

If nothing else big numbers from g8 countries will hasten a vaccine and anti virals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

https://twitter.com/YoYo_Ma/status/1238572657278431234?s=20

Nice but I urge caution. Might be an emotional piece for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

fritzelly wrote: »
    What a stupid thing to say

Is it really? There are plenty of infectious tropical diseases which no vaccine is available for. The main reason this is the case is financial return. Unfortunately it is not in companies interests to develop them. These diseases affect non white people disproportionally.

SARS was contained. This is not comparable in terms of the amount of resources globally being pumped in to find a vaccine.

We are not used to dealing with a deadly pathogen. Look up ebola , dengue fever or any major tropical disease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I love the way bars are putting up notices on Facebook that they’ve thought long and hard about closing. And have decided to do so for the safety of staff and customers. Tonight from 11.30. Not until they sucked the last of what they can get.
    The 2 pubs I mostly go to closed last nite for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Bill Gates predicted this years ago

On the ball was auld Bill.

The idea of a trained medical reserve is a great idea. People could start the training in transition year maybe.

For example it looks like we don't have enough trained staff for the additional ventilators, would be great if we could call on a reserve of people trained for the likes of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Lottie Ryan looks like she just found the cure :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

VinLieger wrote: »
    Name and shame, report to the Gardai

Report what exactly? It’s not after hours? There is no legal impediment to a pub being open currently. Why waste his own and the Gardai’s time??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

obi604 wrote: »
    Who cares really. Everyone just needs to learn to stay away from others for the next while.

Its all about this Al-C0h-01 thing. Peope need it in their lives but deny its a problem for them. Maybe we need new thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

Yes but that was because no white people got it. / It was contained.

No it was because SARS only because infectious after a few days of symptoms so was easy to track and isolate the carriers. But don't let the truth get in the way of a good race based comment

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

lawred2 wrote: »
    GPs are part of the problem. Happily sending people into ED in exchange for 60quid and an easy life.
    That really is a problem, many people then develop infections just from being in hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Just heard about a possible total curfew from Tuedsay onwards. Defence forces will be on patrol.
    Apologies in advance if it's fake news.
    We'll find out soon enough I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I thought they could stay open till tomorrow so why would they even close the shutters?

Stop more people from entering?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Oh...

The false positive results for COVID are off the charts, according to this study published in a medical journal.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32133832?fbclid=IwAR3KtTRFTp9eb0aA-8ThVONEMGeGhecOnjMJtIblbClp8ufahx71HOFSWdg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,504 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I've heard of another family thinking like this. Reported to have caused problems in Italy when people went off to holiday homes in the Alps/ seaside and spread it further.

As to travel, hard to see how the border here could be sealed - there are so many road crossings.

concrete_vehicle_barrier.jpg
    Couple of these on all the bothreens,
    Army checkpoints on the main roads to allow essential freight to pass through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

paul71 wrote: »

Immunity comes with infection and recovery or vaccine. Most of what I have read says a vaccine normally takes a year to develop.

That is true... 12 to 18 months for a vaccine... the best chance we have now is that a new antiviral drug is developed quickly or that there is a positive result from some of the drug trials on infected patients in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

George Lee saying reality is pubs and bars will be closed many weeks beyond the two weeks given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Just heard about a possible total curfew from Tuedsay onwards. Defence forces will be on patrol.

I heard from a very reliable source the same. Tuesday is lockdown day

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

This is from last week :-

Spain has so far confirmed 430 cases of the virus – 60 of which originated among people who attended a funeral service in the Basque city of Vitoria-Gasteiz, according to Spain’s National Microbiology Centre.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/07/spanish-town-faces-police-lockdown-to-contain-coronavirus
    And what a nightmare they have been, refusing quarantine to the point a special group of la guardia civil had to go to the village most of them live in to enforce the isolation.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Damn it, you blink and 500 posts fly past you.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Yep

Got sent in with a gp letter over nothing

Was 5pm gp in a rush home

Nurse wanted to know what I was doing there

So you met a gp that referred you inappropriately in your opinion, therefore, all GPs are terrible. The ppl working frontline and are referring people directly to get tested, you think they're part of the problem?

Tldr: The front line health care workers putting themselves and their family at risk are part of the problem. Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

wakka12 wrote: »
    New cases worldwide up about 2k over yesterday, 12.3k new cases today with 670 deaths.

How does that stack up I on other days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

This is lethal and must be a big worry here:

"Six care home residents in Scotland have been diagnosed with coronavirus.

Highgate Care Home in North Lanarkshire said it had put in place “strict infection control measures” after it identified the positive cases of Covid-19.

Staff, residents and their families are being informed.

John Kirk, managing director of the care home, said: “The health, safety and wellbeing of our residents and colleagues is of paramount importance. As such, we are committed to doing everything we can to keep them safe.

“We are working closely with all the relevant bodies, including NHS Lanarkshire and Health Protection Scotland, as we implement our comprehensive contingency plan, which includes closing the home to all but absolutely essential visitors, and continuing to take steps to ensure the highest standards of hygiene and infection control.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/15/coronavirus-latest-updates-trump-tests-negative-as-spain-orders-nationwide-lockdown-uk-us-australia-italy-europe-global-economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

codie wrote: »

Reliable as in Whatsapp, Twitter, Facebook, friend of a friend of my seventh cousin removed who knows a friend of a guard

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Axfrderr wrote: »
    That really is a problem, many people then develop infections just from being in hospital.

Can I just say no one suspected of having covid19 is being referred to EDs by GPs... Or anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Just back from Aldi Limerick. Fairly quiet there. Drinks section getting bare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,293 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

codie wrote: »

I'm sure when the 5000 military vehicles and 50k personnel needed to do this are on the move social media will be full of pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

1641 wrote: »

Yes burials are nit restricted as they are in an open air space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

milhous wrote: »
    So you met a gp that referred you inappropriately in your opinion, therefore, all GPs are terrible. The ppl working frontline and are referring people directly to get tested, you think they're part of the problem?

Tldr: The front line health care workers putting themselves and their family at risk are part of the problem. Ffs

Pretty sure you've got the wrong end of the stick there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

George Lee saying reality is pubs and bars will be closed many weeks beyond the two weeks given.

While George revels in being the profit of doom, I'd say he's right on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,291 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I heard something similar and that army will be at supermarkets which will only open for a certain time period for so many

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement