Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I was chatting to the manager of quite a large hotel, 4 star, that would usually have over 110 rooms full that had two rooms last night! Most likely closing tomorrow for the foreseeable. How many people are going to become unemployed over the next fortnight? Obviously people’s lives are more important, but the financial effect of this thing is going to hit hundreds of thousands of people in the next couple of weeks. How things can change so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

screamer wrote: »
    I’ve heard bigger lockdown will be announced at 11 tomorrow. Fairly reliable source so I for one am ready.

If we had a euro for every one of these "I've heard" posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We seem to be a nation of toddlers.

Have to be told what to do and when. Despite all the news about the virus spread in countries before us.

Take some responsibility and do it yourself. FGS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Strazdas wrote: »
    I'd be sceptical : Simon Coveney says Irish citizens have until Thursday to return from Spain

Or face execution?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

beside the olympia

Thanks, there's a Brogans in Ennis too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Are we presuming that gyms and the like will be closed for an extended period - such as 2 months?

Thinking of popping down to Elverys to get in some home gym essentials but wouldn't do so if they will only be closed for 2 weeks.

Surely things won't actually be reopening as the numbers growth worsens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

namloc1980 wrote: »
    If we had a euro for every one of these "I've heard" posts.

See post above, its another bulls**t watsapp message going around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SO the new text going around now is

Just to let you know ins speaking to my friend who is a guard and just out from conference..full lock down being announced at 11 tomorrow to come into effect from Tuesday. Shops will only be opened for a certain amount of time each day with army outside only allowing certain amount of people in each time. And max 100 people allowed to queue. He said make sure you buy bottled water and any baby stuff required. He could be for 2 weeks or 30 days and is up for review after that. Hospitals have been told to be prepared for Tuesday and army and fire service be prepared for Wednesday. Fire brigade will possibly be used for ambulance duties also.

I just dont know why you need to buy bottled water? are they turning off the water?

Why would they say make sure to get bottled water? Doesn't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Looks like a fairly average Sunday night in fairness.

Doesn't look like your average 15th of March though. Regardless of day of week, the dates around Paddy's day would be booming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I heard cork is on shutdown from tomorrow...

At phucking last...... Hallelujah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 lasalle

Norway closing all airports & ports from tomorrow according to reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 23,706 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Or face execution?

Be left in Spain hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Antibodies are the body's response to an attack on the immune system (if we didn't have these, this virus would kill us with ease). Generally, when the body can effectively shut down a virus, your immunity improves so the body knows this in future and it's easier. With this virus, it stays in the system for 37 days, has many mutated strains even only four months in, and is a coronavirus, which as I said we haven't managed to vaccinate against yet, in human history. And the virus has re-emerged in previous sufferers.

Did you read the Independent article you linked?

And on the reinfection thing, they are not sure if it’s a new infection or if the old infection was dormant. It’s far too soon to know that. Research papers that clearly haven’t been peer-reviewed are being rushed out and are sloppy to say to the least (patient names appearing on CT scans included, for example, shows the lack of attention given). As for mutations, virologists seem to think it’s not a particularly quick to mutate virus at this early stage.

And this is a good reply to your earlier post:
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Would you please at least read the sources you're quoting first?

However, according to Dr Stephen Gluckman, an infectious diseases physician at Penn Medicine and the medical director of Penn Global Medicine, who spoke to the outlet, it seems likely that having the disease once results in immunity in most individuals - as is seen with other coronaviruses.

“Coronaviruses aren’t new, they’ve been around for a long, long time and many species - not just humans - get them,” he explained. “So we know a fair amount about coronaviruses in general. For the most part, the feeling is once you’ve had a specific coronavirus, you are immune. We don’t have enough data to say that with this coronavirus, but it is likely.”

This means that people who initially recovered are more likely to relapse rather than get reinfected with the virus.

According to one study, people with mild infections can test positive for the virus by throat swabs “for days and even weeks after their illness”.

But, that doesn’t mean it isn’t possible to contract the disease again, especially in those who are immunocompromised.

“The immune response to Covid-19 is not yet understood,” the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explains. “Patients with MERS-CoV infection are unlikely to be reinfected shortly after they recover, but it is not yet known whether similar immune protection will be observed for patients with Covid-19.”.

So it seems the main takeaway is that we're not precisely sure about this virus, but if it follows other coronaviruses already observed in people survivors will be immune to that particular strain. So "no known immunity" as you call would make it a major outlier in coronaviruses and more about scaremongering than a statement based on facts, even at this early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

cloudatlas wrote: »
    We must muster forces to protect Ireland.

Ok Michael, I will get Tom Barry on the phone immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I was chatting to the manager of quite a large hotel, 4 star, that would usually have over 110 rooms full that had two rooms last night! Most likely closing tomorrow for the foreseeable. How many people are going to become unemployed over the next fortnight? Obviously people’s lives are more important, but the financial effect of this thing is going to hit hundreds of thousands of people in the next couple of weeks. How things can change so quickly
    Between retail and the hospitality/tourism sector you are talking about nearly half a million workers and then there is the indirect knock-on. Not much anyone can do if nobody wants to give them business.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

Lots of rumours about Cork shutting down. This country is tiny. What's the point in attempting to 'lock down' one county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Mr.S wrote: »
    Who falls for this crap?

Lots of people alas including already vulnerable and anxious people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Are we presuming that gyms and the like will be closed for an extended period - such as 2 months?

Thinking of popping down to Elverys to get in some home gym essentials but wouldn't do so if they will only be closed for 2 weeks.

Surely things won't actually be reopening as the numbers growth worsens?

Very possible, yes.

It's difficult to put a figure on it but we're probably looking at weeks of closure for all public places......maybe six weeks at an absolute minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

There is no planned lockdown to be enforced by the Defence Forces on Tuesday.

Source: Me, a member of the Defence Forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Between all the various branches of hospitality and their supports like Taxis and suppliers I'd expect the "non working" rate to be as big as the current "live register" very quickly - that's 182,616 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

I must say I’m impressed with business adapting to this, up to yesterday local hotel were offering the menu food as a take away, butchers have set up 3 zones in store to allow 3 customers in and to use the marked zone as a safe distance. Keep it up everyone thanks for helping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Did you read the Independent article you linked?

And on the reinfection thing, they are not sure if it’s a new infection or if the old infection was dormant. It’s far too soon to know that. Research papers that clearly haven’t been peer-reviewed are being rushed out and are sloppy to say to the least (patient names appearing on CT scans included, for example, shows the lack of attention given). As for mutations, virologists seem to think it’s not a particularly quick to mutate virus at this early stage.

This is the most sensible interpretation of that link.
    As you’ve said more than once it’s too soon to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I doubt those living in Costa de Crime be flying back by Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mr.S wrote: »
    Who falls for this crap?

Oh plenty do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

screamer wrote: »
    I’ve heard bigger lockdown will be announced at 11 tomorrow. Fairly reliable source so I for one am ready.

it’s coming from a comment made by Kevin on a Facebook post.

https://www.facebook.com/1316092965/posts/10221447104229797/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SO the new text going around now is

Just to let you know ins speaking to my friend who is a guard and just out from conference..full lock down being announced at 11 tomorrow to come into effect from Tuesday. Shops will only be opened for a certain amount of time each day with army outside only allowing certain amount of people in each time. And max 100 people allowed to queue. He said make sure you buy bottled water and any baby stuff required. He could be for 2 weeks or 30 days and is up for review after that. Hospitals have been told to be prepared for Tuesday and army and fire service be prepared for Wednesday. Fire brigade will possibly be used for ambulance duties also.

I just dont know why you need to buy bottled water? are they turning off the water?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is absolute bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Irish economy is going down the drain again.
    We're going to be going back years again now. Some places that close may never reopen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fia11 wrote: »
    Lots of rumours about Cork shutting down. This country is tiny. What's the point in attempting to 'lock down' one county?

It's cause it's a red zone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Is it expected that the virus, or a mutated form of it will re emerge this Autumn/Winter?

Mutations are pretty common with RNA viruses. But mostly those work against the virus.

Mutations are also used to find out the source of virus (whether it's the one from China originated from Hubei or from Italy etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

is_that_so wrote: »
    The argument is that a full lockdown can't effectively be maintained for more than about 4 weeks as people will begin to stop respecting it. It's time may come at some point.

exactly!

Everyone is calling for lock downs but the virus is not predicted to peak in Ireland until May/June.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement