Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Apparently the back door entrances to apartments were welded shut so that people had to leave by the front door. Temperature was being checked there to screen for the virus on entry and on exit from the building.

We will see exactly who looks after their populations best when this is over. Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea seem to be the only western governments doing well in the fight against the virus.

We should take lessons from Taiwan on how an island nation can defend itself against viral threats.

Those are not western governments and we're not an island nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

elperello wrote: »
    I know we are in trouble but that would only make things worse.
    If you have a Government acting ultra vires you are close to anarchy.

Yes, but my point is that they can enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Never wanked to Mass? A good aul sermon tug can't be bate.

A sercum more like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I don't know what to believe now. Gombeens spreading fake news have made it impossible to decide what true. What makes you think this will happen.

Multiple retailers non food have started announcing shutdowns here. There is no vaccine against this and as we are wisely looking to avoid herd immunity it would suggest a slow burning situation. If the shutdown last more than a month you could be looking at an economic depression.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Why dont the government hand out some sort of surgical masks to everyone ASAP and have it mandatory if you leave your house to wear one. I know its not gonna stop the spread but surely would help!

I am selling masks for 50 quid a pop, pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Strazdas wrote: »
    800k infected, 23k dead

Should be stressed though that most people were living in poverty and those in the cities in hopelessly overcrowded conditions. Personal hygiene was nearly non-existent.

So similar conditions to what all the gob****es were creating in the pubs last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

joeguevara wrote: »
    Why is it that so many seem to believe or accept rumours from bogus WhatsApp messages or Facebook posts or unconfirmed sources but disregard guidance directly issued by Govenment or Public Emergency Health Authority.
    Tl;Dr mentality is why and that information can only be processed in very small gulps, with emojis.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

My boyfriend was in Amsterdam for work last Monday and got home late Monday evening. He’s feeling normal with no temperature or sniffles.

Should we be worried or is he safe enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

elperello wrote: »
    I know we are in trouble but that would only make things worse.
    If you have a Government acting ultra vires you are close to anarchy.

The government absolutely does have the power to enforce a lockdown but to my knowledge, they'd prefer not to have to resort to laws and if they did, would rather a more up to date and specific law than the Health Act 1947.

See here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/government-and-garda-can-use-extreme-powers-to-tackle-covid-19-1.4200108

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

RoryMac wrote: »
    How will it help if as you say it's not going to stop the spread?

And how will all these masks be distributed?
    A) they would help stop the spread, even the crappy paper surgical masks*, mainly by cutting down the amount of snotters(medical term) the infected would cough out getting as far. B) they're in short supply and we don't have enough to go around. C) unlike many in Asian countries we don't have the mask wearing culture here so it would take a while until it reached peak "fashion"

*If I were a doctor or nurse or any member of the emergency services I'd not rely on any paper masks, not matter what the rating of the material. They provide some sort of temporary barrier but beyond that about as much use as tits on a bull. I'm not so surprised, if bloody saddened, that so many medical staff end up catching this cursed virus if all they're relying on is paper masks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If I'm understanding correctly = if ireland uses same recoridng criteria as Germany we would have 0 deaths.

Thats massaging the numbers and does no one any service as its likely those people could have lived much longer had it not been for the virus. Most countries would have 80% less deaths if they went down this route. Poor form from Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I am selling masks for 50 quid a pop, pm me.

Username checks out:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

ITman88 wrote: »
    It’s beyond thinking what the next decade or so will be like in the economy.

A lot of places were barely recovering from the 2008 crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

cheers, not finding it easy
    What was the population estimate in 1918 ?
    Do we have these stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My boyfriend was in Amsterdam for work last Monday and got home late Monday evening. He’s feeling normal with no temperature or sniffles.

The incubation Period is 14 days so he’s not clear yet

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

obi604 wrote: »
    Probably all over 60.

It is a pity boards.ie does not have an option saying “No Thanks from”...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

You worried about covid or STDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

syngindub wrote: »
    cheers, not finding it easy
    What was the population estimate in 1918 ?
    Do we have these stats?

1.8 billion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Worldometer listing Ireland as +41 today with a total of 170 cases. Was another case confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    If they don't work then why do emergency services need them

They do work but are not needed for the general public as we should be exercising social distancing whereas health care professionals are in close contact with infected people for large amounts of time while treating them, so they need all the protection they can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Feels like waiting before the Battle of Winterfell. Eerie as fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Screenshot-20200315-215350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I understand your concern but you need to be a bit rational. If your boyfriend went to Cork instead of Amsterdam you wouldn’t be asking this question yet his chance of catching it in Cork is probably the same as in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

What's the point in this total lockdown people on about? All we doing is groceries and pharmacy if we need something and walks etc..no interaction with people outside of the house. If people all did that you can't ask much more really..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I realise this may be a weird thing to post about but I've decided to try and watch the boys in green first episode on the rte player and of all things to see on there was all 15 seasons on ER. why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

darced wrote: »
    Watching the US here now, they seem to be moving quickly and decisively. Be interesting to see can they contain it.

When a virus is more intelligent than the president - no chance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Push him off a cliff. If he floats he has it if he plummets to the ground he was clean.

God speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/carnsoreboxer/status/1239178343175589888?s=21

This is really worrying , this women can’t leave the house has only seen 5 people and now in hospital in bad shape. I think this shows how wide spread this is and how easily contracted it is.

Seriously considering if I should even see my parents .

Haven't seen mine for past 10 days and won't be for the foreseeable.

We see each other regularly so it's hard, they understand now why they cannot see all their kids or grandkids but didn't to begin with.

It's best for their sake and small sacrifice to make of we are all still here after this.

Video call is great and we keep in touch throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Worldometer listing Ireland as +41 today with a total of 170 cases. Was another case confirmed?
    No, save seen this before, whoever is running it will update later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

blade1 wrote: »
    Screenshot-20200315-215350.jpg

Finally the truth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement