Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Was in my jocks for some skype meetings last week - will be repeating it this week.

Work related I think they were referring to.

That was a different type of Skype call you had lad!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This thread is moving so fast, I went for a shower for 15 minutes and came back to over 100 new posts! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If there is a total lockdown on non essential business, well I think that a levy should be put on those businesses who will profit from this,
    i.e. supermarkets and the like.

In fairness, why should one strand of the economy continue to make money when others might have to close down and let staff go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I see the special cases from temple bar last night made it into the C4 news. That’s next level muppetry to be fair. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

This thread is moving so fast, I went for a shower for 15 minutes and came back to over 100 new posts! :eek:

Spreading much faster than the virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Numbers will be down I reckon bucking the general trend
    Test numbers, given the lowering the bar edict for such, have been ramped up. Also we're further along into this so the best I think we can hope for is a static level of increase cos we know it's in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Just drove through Tullamore and every pub, that I could see, was closed.
    Drove through Mountmellick and every pub is open.

Still in Mountmellick then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

defrule wrote: »
    Anyone know how resilient supply chains are?

If drivers start falling sick etc... and Tesco can no longer efficiently get food and supplies to the city. Then we truly will be screwed.

We are the most food secure nation in Europe.

Driving is low risk work in terms of coming into contact with people. If there's full lock down, certain other drivers will be out of work, EG construction industry, and hopefully could take up the slack if delivery drivers are sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Has anyone been having problems with making and receiving calls during the week. Networks apparently having awful diffculity in coping with the demand due to people working from home. That is only going to increase next week.

Yep, the Three network was having a right auld speed wobble.

You may expect it ramp up next week, we spent most of last week just setting up VPNs and selling laptops to panicing customers as they need to work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Edgy online anonymous has a cut at religion. Uses the word w@nk to sound more hard edge.

Also have to laugh at people asking questions about mass yesterday, always prefaced by my granny wants to know. God forbid someone thought it was you who had the query. I mean trying to be hip, trendy and post multiple Fr. Ted gifs daily and then undo all your coolness if some of your esteemed boards peers thought you went to mass!

Some of us go to mass, some go to service or church, some pray facing Mecca. Some believe in God, some don't. Isn't the new liberal Ireland about tolerance for all?

I was going to reply to original post but decided against it.

If they only knew eh?It is really very sad.

Yes am a regular mass goer and am under 60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

Can Ireland do anything to make use of the Hospital Ventilators been manufactured here by Multinational Companies ......are there Staff capable of using them if they had the machines ..... perhaps I am been simplistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

briany wrote: »
    Is the main difference in how we're regarding this novel coronavirus and the seasonal flu mainly down to the fact that the former is much more of an unknown in terms of the damage it *could* do? I constantly see this argument that the seasonal flu kills thousands each year yet it does not inspire lockdowns.

Seasonal flu kills thousands, but has already saturated the world. It only kills people who are very weak and sick.

Covid is not nearly reach full spread yet, it's being transmitted very easily.
    It is cause much more hospitalisations that flu (20%), and kill people 60+ who would have no trouble fight off a flu.

If coronavirus was as widespread as fluu, the death toll would be staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Panrich wrote: »
    At least 50 more.

Numbers will be up for.sure now.that they have started community testing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I was told total lockdown on Tuesday. This is madness.

Why madness?
    It probably wouldn't have come to it if people had have paid more heed to the warnings and travel restrictions enforced sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

gmisk wrote: »
    Three had an outage one day I think that's all.
    It wasn't data though it was making and receiving calls.

I know people on other networks who have had problems with phone calls going to voicemails, phone not ringing and having to make multiple attempts at calls. I know people on Vodafone/Tesco/Three who said they are having similar problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The glorious leader of Dublin Bus sent out a message to the troops the other day, the gist of it was "you are doing wonderful work in this budding plague, keep up the good work, critical to keep the buses on the road, fear not we are making plans to keep the business going by having management work from home"
    As you can imagine staff not happy, so get onto Unions, who in turn want to know of plans that are made regarding drivers in the petri dish on wheels.
    So today we find out big meeting tomorrow ,now with Pubs closed, lock down looks likely, what the story for the bus drivers on packed buses?
    Private operators are cutting services left right and center, why not Dublin Bus?
    Then in last hour the news breaks that a Driver out of Ringsend Depot has got Covid-19.
    Unlikely bus service as we know it will last much longer.

I can tell you exactly what the main element is going to be because it has been done in Germany already.

The front section of the bus will be sealed off so passengers do not walk by or interact with the driver. Middle doors only used instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The glorious leader of Dublin Bus sent out a message to the troops the other day, the gist of it was "you are doing wonderful work in this budding plague, keep up the good work, critical to keep the buses on the road, fear not we are making plans to keep the business going by having management work from home"
    As you can imagine staff not happy, so get onto Unions, who in turn want to know of plans that are made regarding drivers in the petri dish on wheels.
    So today we find out big meeting tomorrow ,now with Pubs closed, lock down looks likely, what the story for the bus drivers on packed buses?
    Private operators are cutting services left right and center, why not Dublin Bus?
    Then in last hour the news breaks that a Driver out of Ringsend Depot has got Covid-19.
    Unlikely bus service as we know it will last much longer.
    Busses and trains should Stop charging for public transport, open side doors only and there would be no reason to interact with the public physically anymore
    In a few days there will probably be curfews in place only limited services will be required to cover workers commuting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Is it true that the thousands of people that normally collect their JSA payments in the post office in person will now get online payments? I see nothing online about it and those Jobseekers ques in the cramped post offices are gonna get longer

You can apply to have your payment into the bank by contacting your local social welfare office, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

You didn’t check the thread in the nip did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

dan786 wrote: »
    According to a Government statement, the exceptional measures required to encourage social distancing will have an immediate impact on many employers. Although these measures are temporary they have, and will lead, to temporary business closures.

The statement says there is an important role for employers in helping the country to respond.

Following discussions with some industry groups today the Government is asking employers, if at all possible, to continue to pay workers during this period - at least at the jobseeker rate of €203 per week.

That's a very good idea in fact. Workers are not laid off and the Govt pays employers to pay their employees......this might be very reassuring to people to know they haven't lost their job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I'm wondering what the economic impact of this is going to be worldwide?

We were probably due another economic crash soon enough (assuming that the cycle is a crash every 10 to 12 years) so I'd imagine this won't help the cause much.

Where does that leave the EU if member states had already been bickering about having to make up the shortfall in funding due to Brexit?

Hopefully, we can get a handle on this and people act with some measure of mindfulness so that not too many will become infected, although seeing all those spanners going over to the horse racing and the other dingbats in Temple Bar doesn't fill me with confidence.

Perfect opportunity to significantly roll back the EU and cut funding from us to Eastern European proto-fascists. In particular, I doubt Italy will be all that fond of the EU afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭paul71

Has anyone been having problems with making and receiving calls during this week? Networks apparently having awful diffculity in coping with the demand due to people working from home. That is only going to increase next week.

I saw a message from eir to commercial customers on Friday saying they are increasing capacity and data allowances to allow people work from home and to use phones as hotspots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I see a lot of criticism of Governments not closing down flights or shutting borders, and using common sense that would seem logical. However when you examine the problem using epidemiological mathematical modelling it will show that closing borders has a limited effect in the basic reproduction number of infection (aka R0), which is really the only factor we are trying to control. By lowering the R0 we give our health service the time to treat patients without being overwhelmed and therefore increase the survivability rate and have better outcomes for patients overall, this we all know by now is termed 'flattening the curve'.

So why don't borders work? To start with borders can not be perfectly sealed, unless we want to become an even more totalitarian state than North Korea some people will cross them. One example is we need to import many essential goods and raw material such as oil in order to keep society functioning and this has to be done by people. With the profile of this disease it is impossible to properly screen for it as many are infected are asymptomatic. So cutting off contact from the outside world entirely is impossible even in the short term.

Once the virus is in the community it doubles infections every 3-4 days in populations where no internal controls are in place. This is what is known as exponential growth, simply put the more infected there are the faster new people get infected. Uncontrolled spread within the community with quickly outpace the number of infected coming from outside the community, even if you pack every jet and ferry with 100% infected people, left uncontrolled the community transmissions would dwarf them in a matter of weeks even if started with just one infected person.

So we need to focus on slowing the spread within the community, and the only method we have to do this is social distancing. Social distancing techniques work for those people arriving into the country as well, following proper guidelines they won't infect more people than anyone else already in the community. Jets and ferries should limit their capacities so people are kept a safe distance, exceptions can be made for family units of course.

The Washington Post have an excellent article which show these epidemiological models working in real time, I highly recommend looking at it to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I realise this may be a weird thing to post about but I've decided to try and watch the boys in green first episode on the rte player and of all things to see on there was all 15 seasons on ER. why ?

To be fair, you won't be watching anything on the RTÉ Player as it's shíte, so doesn't matter what's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

holyhead wrote: »
    Multiple retailers non food have started announcing shutdowns here. There is no vaccine against this and as we are wisely looking to avoid herd immunity it would suggest a slow burning situation. If the shutdown last more than a month you could be looking at an economic depression.

Who cares, it can and will recover again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is anyone else a bit scared?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Has anyone been having problems with making and receiving calls during this week? Networks apparently having awful diffculity in coping with the demand due to people working from home. That is only going to increase next week.

No problems here on eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Yep, the Three network was having a right auld speed wobble.

You may expect it ramp up next week, we spent most of last week just setting up VPNs and selling laptops to panicing customers as they need to work from home.

I have been told that if three woobles it isn't something they can cope with the medium term fixing and will continue to happen due to capcity issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I know people on other networks who have had problems with phone calls going to voicemails, phone not ringing and having to make multiple attempts at calls. I am Vodafone and have had those issues and I know someone on Tesco/Three who said they are having similar problems.

Mobile phones are not the best things to use in a widespread crisis. There are a limited amount of line connections available per cell and in the case where everyone wants to use it, there will be drop outs and non connects.

In these parts, when it snows on the N11 and you are running late for an appointment, you can't make a call.... because everyone else is trying to do the exact same thing at the same time.

This is where the good old landline comes into it's own. Much more reliable in a crisis - providing you have one within arms reach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Thing is spreading. Heard of a case popping up in the most rural of spots and no connections to Northern Italy/China. A person over 80 too.

Not really a surprise.

Do they have a home carer by any chance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement