Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Silly question here and probably a lot more complicated. But how or where did the corona virus start? (Or any virus really)

Did one person get it somehow? Or does it even start with a person.

Does it originate on a surface somehow and then get to a person

My 4 year old has a chest cough and a small fever .
    She has it the last 5 days. Reckon she picked it up in creche .

Should injustice isolate her and ride it out?

Have you contacted your GP? If anything the health services would probably like to have an idea of how many are suffering from other types of bugs in mid March.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Were you alive before 9/11? It changed world drastically and forever. Changed it for the worst.

That's because the response to it was disproportionate. As I said if it wasn't America you wouldn't have seen that response and the over 2 million that died as a result. That's before you add in the catalyst it was for the Arab spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

Wow, just woke up to the new that almost all cruises on most cruise lines have been cancelled for at least 30 days. Our entire industry is on the way to collapsing but I still think cancelling all cruises is the right decision, I’m extremely grateful that I started reading the first thread on here early and it helped me with my decision not to go back to work on one of the ships, feeling terrible for the situation all my old colleagues are in now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

otnomart wrote: »
    "Four new genomes from Ireland were shared by National Virus Reference Laboratory, UCD and show multiple introductions, but primarily from the emerging European clade"

The map shows spread with origin China via Netherlands and via UK

ETBiNWnUYAAc5ab?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1238597954593644545

Thank you for sharing. I've found an interesting graphic which basically says there is no such thing as COVID19 there innumerable different viruses evolving over time. This doesn't help me sleep. How immune will UK herd be anyway? No one is immune to cold I guess? So many unknowns.

505501.jpg

https://emcrit.org/ibcc/covid19/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm not getting this. Surely reducing spread now will in turn reduce the hight of the peak?

I've already asked this exact same question. Didn't get an answer them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

Should i just isolate her and ride it out?
    I think the family would isolate if not possible for both parents to isolate and stay off work then that parent isolate from family. That what I'd do my 2 to coughing today too that's my plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Silly question here and probably a lot more complicated. But how or where did the corona virus start? (Or any virus really)

Chinese people ate bats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Should injustice isolate her and ride it out?

Call your GP or out of hours service and get their advice.

It is believed it started in Wuhan in late November early December and was transmitted from bat to human. It’s a virus that can live in bats without serious effects on them.

If you have the time, read thread one. It was started when this was just an issue in China

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    That's because the response to it was disproportionate. As I said if it wasn't America you wouldn't have seen that response and the over 2 million that died as a result. That's before you add in the catalyst it was for the Arab spring.

So you agree it was a catastrophic event with consequences that redefined the direction of the human race?

This one started in the Chinese food markets in Wuhan where live exotic animal that shouldn't be around people are kept as food. SARS started there too. MERS originated in the middle East from camels.

China and other Asian countries need to sort that mess out before a highly deadly strain mutates and jumps from animal to human

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I have just though about Meet Up and checked if they were still happening in London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid.
    And they are.
    How irresponsible - by both group organisers and people still attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Were you alive before 9/11? It changed world drastically and forever. Changed it for the worst.

In an US/Western centric way it did. It's a well worn cliché at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Hooked

Dpg21 wrote: »
    Wow, just woke up to the new that almost all cruises on most cruise lines have been cancelled for at least 30 days. Our entire industry is on the way to collapsing but I still think cancelling all cruises is the right decision, I’m extremely grateful that I started reading the first thread on here early and it helped me with my decision not to go back to work on one of the ships, feeling terrible for the situation all my old colleagues are in now though.

I remember your thread/posts.

Amazing how quickly it can all change.

We were considering a short UK trip this Wednesday to sunday... still undecided as of 2 days ago.

Now? There’s no way I’d want to be anywhere but here this time next week. Especially at the rate borders are shutting. A week is a looonnnnggggg time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Jan 20 - My elderly father returned from a week in Dubai and within a few days he had developed pneumonia (GP gave him antibiotics and he was back to normal a week later), this was his first time getting pneumonia.

With hindsight he would have had all the Covid-19 symptoms - what are the chances that he actually had Coronavirus at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

This one started in the Chinese food markets in Wuhan where live exotic animal that shouldn't be around people are kept as food. SARS started there too. MERS originated in the middle East from camels.

China and other Asian countries need to sort that mess out before a highly deadly strain mutates and jumps from animal to human

Don’t forget Ebola - people eating bats again. If the world could just agree that bats are off the menu, that would help.

Multipass wrote: »
    Chinese people ate bats

That's not how it started. The bats were alive and the virus mutated with the ability to survive in humans and so passed on through touching the animal or crate it was held in or some other close interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

murphaph wrote: »
    Pubs and clubs in Berlin must close from Tuesday. It sounds like Ireland needs to force pub closures as well judging by the reports of packed boozers on here. It makes a mockery of school closures to have heaving pubs. The schools are less of a breeding ground!

I heard in work yesterday that a good few pubs in Cork have closed willingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

My company a american multinational wasn't ready for workers to work from home so all parents waiting for it to be setup...maybe on monday.
    On my case from.wednesday I should be at home yes or yes to care the girls and I already told management but no one knows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Chinese people ate bats

A butterfly effect: Chinese eat a bat in November, the whole western nation run on toilet paper in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭circadian

Chinese people ate bats

That's not accurate. They're still trying to trace the origins, a wet market in Wuhan is one potential starting point, however, the Chinese government have tracked it as far back as November.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/first-covid-19-case-happened-in-november-china-government-records-show-report

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I don't understand closing schools and colleges until 29th of March. The virus will still be around on the 30th of March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Jan 20 - My elderly father returned from a week in Dubai and within a few days he had developed pneumonia (GP gave him antibiotics and he was back to normal a week later), this was his first time getting pneumonia.

With hindsight he would have had all the Covid-19 symptoms - what are the chances that he actually had Coronavirus at that time?

Zero chance if antibiotic cured him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Don’t forget Ebola - people eating bats again. If the world could just agree that bats are off the menu, that would help.
    Dont forget zika during Rio olympics, not sure how that originated

All exotic animals should be off the menu. We can't control the pathogens they carry. Have a look at the wasting disease in wild deer in north America. Like mad cow. Only time before that starts killing humans who hunt and eat deer.

We have farms for a reason.

SARS was caused by a human with a virus coming in to contact with a chicken with a virus. Both viruses combined, mutated and became a new deadlier virus. I haven't looked covid-19 but I'm guessing surely it was a similar mutation rather than an animal passing it to a human?

Animal markets need to be banned, worldwide. That is for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Alive here since the mid 70s. Chernobyl had a huge impact in 1986. Able Archer 1983 was 1,000 times more dangerous than 9/11 but few knew about it. Still don't.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83

9/11 involved the death of 3,000 first world deaths and received disproportionate coverage.

And of course a month earlier in 1983 'the nuclear false alarm incident'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I don't understand closing schools and colleges until 29th of March. The virus will still be around on the 30th of March.

Soft approach to calm the masses, if they said we are shutting everything for 3 months there would be bedlam.

It will just be extended and extended and extended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

Herd immunity and the antibodies one would develop would be useless if the virus mutates. There is too many unknowns with this virus it’s very early days.

2 strains already the L & S type.
    Researchers say the different strains were likely caused through a mutation of the ancestral version of the virus. And that could mean more are coming. They urged the scientific community to come together to battle and contain the outbreak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement