Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Multipass wrote: »
    Don’t forget Ebola - people eating bats again. If the world could just agree that bats are off the menu, that would help.

I thought ebola crossed over to humans from monkeys. Monkeys carry it and some people eat "bushmeat"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The estimated deaths I'm seeing by governments are way under.

0.5%-1% die when there are ICU beds available.

5-10% need ICU beds.

Once ICU beds fill up, 5-10% die.

It's happened in Italy, it's about to happen in the rest of Europe and the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

VinLieger wrote: »
    Finally got around to reading the UKs herd immunity theory, they are out of their minds!!!!

Wont be long before they start blaming foreigners and use it as another (****e) reason for supporting Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭Allinall

Steroids are not recommended for Coronavirus es and antibiotics are not recommended for viruses.

So why exactly did you ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

The number of new cases in China increased slightly in the last 24 hours from 8 to 11. It's a tiny number but worth keeping an eye on. It would be a huge blow if there's a large remission in China following slow restarting of some businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Steroids are not recommended for Coronavirus es and antibiotics are not recommended for viruses.

First who said you have Coronavirus .. seen as steroids aren’t recommended for it ?

And did a doctor diagnose a viral infection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

They are not the only ones who need to sort things out then.

A farm boy in Kansas was infected from pigs with swine flu. He then joined the US army to fight in WW1 and is thought to have started the ‘Spanish’ flu which killed 50 – 100 million people.

The 2009 flu pandemic also started in North America, infecting 31,000 people with 1,900 deaths. 50% of breeding pigs in the US have been exposed to influenza virus.

Fact is that measles, smallpox, influenza, HIV, diphtheria, the common cold and tuberculosis all originated in animals.

Viruses have been making the jump from animals to humans for millennia and it can happen anywhere.

It might even happen here with the recent outbreak of avian influenza in our chicken farms.

Going xenophobic about a viral outbreak solves nothing... the virus is here and we must deal with it.

Flus from farm animals yes, but rest has come from bushmeat. Eating wild animals, especially bats and monkeys, is a huge risk, and now we’re seeing how it can affect us all.

KingBobby wrote: »
    I thought ebola crossed over to humans from monkeys. Monkeys carry it and some people eat "bushmeat"

Plus, people in Africa often kiss the dead bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭allinthehead

bnt wrote: »
    If this reddit thread is accurate, some people are stealing hand sanitizer from hospitals and doctors' surgeries. The author says (s)he has to zip-tie sanitizer bottles to patient's beds so that visitors don't walk off with them. Really, people? :mad:

Unfortunately i have more experience of our children's hospitals than i would like and there have always been issues with people stealing tv remotes, computer games and even the consoles themselves. I remember a nurse telling me it was the mainly the parents taking them.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

bnt wrote: »
    If this reddit thread is accurate, some people are stealing hand sanitizer from hospitals and doctors' surgeries. The author says (s)he has to zip-tie sanitizer bottles to patient's beds so that visitors don't walk off with them. Really, people? :mad:
    It happened at my workplace with personal ones so I trust it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Silly question here and probably a lot more complicated. But how or where did the corona virus start? (Or any virus really)

Did one person get it somehow? Or does it even start with a person.

Does it originate on a surface somehow and then get to a person

Wuhan/China.
    Human eats sick bat with virus (possibly), virus mutates into transferable human strain
    And it spreads & spreads ................

Other viruses might have been caused by humans messing about with monkeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Bob24 wrote: »
    There were also reports of people stealing masks and sanitiser from hospitals in France. They are now in safety lockers with access control :-/

Call me extreme but I think given the consequences if hospitals run out, I think stealing these should be considered manslaughter and punished accordingly.

Individuals are not the only ones who are to blame. The companies who are gouging and manipulating the market for protective equipment should be named and shamed.

Leaving our health workers, who are on the front line against this menace, without protective equipment just because someone wants to make a quick buck is manslaughter too.

From World Health Organization :-
    Since the start of the COVID-19 outbreak, prices have surged. Surgical masks have seen a sixfold increase, N95 respirators have trebled and gowns have doubled.

Supplies can take months to deliver and market manipulation is widespread, with stocks frequently sold to the highest bidder.

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/03-03-2020-shortage-of-personal-protective-equipment-endangering-health-workers-worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

5-10% need ICU beds.

And on top of that there'll be excess fatalities from cases unrelated to COVID 19 who won't be able to access critical care because it's overwhelmed with COVID 19 cases i.e. car crash victims, cardiac cases etc.

Wont be long before they start blaming foreigners and use it as another (****e) reason for supporting Brexit
    Ironically (or is it irony?) shutting the borders would definitely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Italy has a population of 60 million. We have a population of 4.7 million.
    There's a thing that exists called 'scale'.

Yes there is. If we were to take ratios of population, medical staff, icu beds into consideration, we are only 2 weeks behind Italy as they had about 12 times our cases on 29th feb.

Hopefully we can slow it down with school closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Article over on the Daily Outrage about the disproportionate amount of people with Hypertension dying. Something to do with Ace Inhibitors (on them myself) cell structure and the the virus transfer.

Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Latest...

Recovered: 71,696
    Deceased: 5,429

Mortality Rate: 7.5%

*this figure does not include people who have contracted C19 and have recovered without ever being tested. This figure could be in the thousands, hundred of thousands, or even millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Has there been any confirmed cases in children? My child woke coughing mad this morning but no temp. Has Asthma though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I believe the Western Africa outbreak of Ebola a few years ago was traced back to bats.

Antibiotics have no effect on viruses. That's true. But antibiotics are often being added from the second week of illness to stop the bacteria infection spreading.

An example would be a common cold which lasts 7-9 days. If the symptoms are still there after 9th day then most likely it's no longer a virus but a bacterial infection and if serious enough you'll be offered an antibiotic.

Garlic, onions, zinc and honey can equally help fighting the bacterial stage of the illness so antibiotics can often be avoided and bacteria kept at bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

voluntary wrote: »
    The number of new cases in China increased slightly in the last 24 hours from 8 to 11. It's a tiny number but worth keeping an eye on. It would be a huge blow if there's a large remission in China following slow restarting of some businesses.
    The trend in China is very much downward. S Korea too seem to be heading that way. Read that China expect no more new cases by the end of the month. They also have fewer active cases than Italy. Of more interest/concern are developments in Italy & Spain and of course what happens in the US.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Article over on the Daily Outrage about the disproportionate amount of people with Hypertension dying. Something to do with Ace Inhibitors (on them myself) cell structure and the the virus transfer.

Not good.

Link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

je551e wrote: »
    Has there been any confirmed cases in children? My child woke coughing mad this morning but no temp. Has Asthma though.
    Yes, but, no child under 10 has died. Children and the young are far less susceptible to the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Bats are thought to be the primary host

https://now.tufts.edu/articles/hunting-ebola-s-origins

But eating monkeys is certainly a bad idea for humanity, AIDS being one result.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Called out of hours Dr as have mild symptoms the last few days with possible fever. He offered steroids and antibiotic. Was like wtf, no thanks!

What did you want? A hazmat team around to the house so they could test you and then you could post about it?

5-10% need ICU beds.

% of what?

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    First who said you have Coronavirus .. seen as steroids aren’t recommended for it ?

And did a doctor diagnose a viral infection ?

Still waiting for an answer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

is_that_so wrote: »
    The trend in China is very much downward. S Korea too seem to be heading that way. Read that China expect no more new cases by the end of the month. They also have fewer active cases than Italy. Of more interest/concern are developments in Italy & Spain and of course what happens in the US.

Updates here.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I believe the Western Africa outbreak of Ebola a few years ago was traced back to bats.
    They do seem to be the bad boys of nature in this and harbour a lot of diseases. Somewhere in all the stuff I've read I saw someone suggested that they can have billions of mutated versions of a virus but very few have the potential to cross species!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement