Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

abea9197a536f775f895bf021dfb8566bd1fc63b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

steer wrote: »
    Local priest put sanitizer in the church.
    All stolen

Blessed be the hand sanitisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Scotty # wrote: »
    Yes, but, no child under 10 has died. Children and the young are far less susceptible to the virus.

You'd have to wonder about long term scarring though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

voluntary wrote: »
    Remember when they said the USC would only be a temporary measure? :pac:

They need to tell people instead of having college students making plans and travel back to college for the 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Cheltenham is going to look like that feast in Wuhan when this is over.

Or the May Day parades in Ukraine when the radioactivity from Chernobyl rained down on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Not sure if posted earlier but this is best article on the outbreak I have read. Its quite long but pretty damn insighting .

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

They need to tell people instead of having college students making plans and travel back to college for the 30th.

Realistically schools won't be back till September.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

threeball wrote: »
    I don't get this. People worrying about 100 euro flights rather than catching or spreading a deadly disease. Same people would drop it out of their pocket pulling up change for a pint and not bat an eyelid. People need to get a grip. Get off the flights, shut the airports, do business through Skype and FaceTime. Unless you are travelling home then stay put.

Well Whether you get it or Not All I am saying is If Spain Has announced a State Of Emergency and all non-essintial Travel is advised not to travel

Then I believe People should not travel but they certainly should not be charged for helping to prevent the spread of Covid 19 they should be refunded in my humble opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

% of what?

Percentages of confirmed cases...which really depends how many we know of. I now think there is a lot more of this out there than the confirmed cases figure. Even the experts are stating that now and daily figures will become somewhat redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

is_that_so wrote: »
    They do seem to be the bad boys of nature in this and harbour a lot of diseases. Somewhere in all the stuff I've read I saw someone suggested that they can have billions of mutated versions of a virus but very few have the potential to cross species!

Interesting article about why bats are the primary reservoir for so much

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200210144854.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Just looking at Flight Radar 24 on the web. It's really weird to see the very few aircraft heading west across the atlantic, now that the US ban from Europe has come into effect.

On another note, if you ever wondered how the spread of corona virus might like on a map of of the world, take a look at Flight Radar and see the amount of aircraft in the skies right now - no wonder it is still spreading. You can watch it live, being carried on aircraft all over the world.

https://www.flightradar24.com/46.75,-95.9/2#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

J1 Visa program for this summer has been cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Of people who catch it.
    It's the mortality rate. Once our ICU beds are full, 5-10% of those diagnosed afterwards will die, mostly those over the age of 65.

At the moment we have c.220 ICU beds. The HSE are currently trying to increase this drastically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

je551e wrote: »
    Has there been any confirmed cases in children? My child woke coughing mad this morning but no temp. Has Asthma though.

A newborn baby in London caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Hoboo

J1 Visa program for this summer has been cancelled

Great news, be plenty of cheap labour available.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bob24 wrote: »
    My bet is they will be by the end of next week.

While I think this is necessary, the impact on those businesses should be considered though and the government should have a plan to prevent many of them from closing down permanently.
    Pat Leahy in IT today considers the political and economic factors. In comparison with potential virus numbers we could see the economic downturn happening far more easily.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/pat-leahy-how-irish-politics-and-society-may-be-reshaped-by-covid-19-1.4202313

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

threeball wrote: »
    If 9/11 happened in any other country bar America it would never be spoken about in the same terms it is. In some countries it would barely have registered such is the horror they have endured. Yes it was a terrible event but there's been far more terrible events since that barely get recognised

Nonsense.

It has the highest death toll for a complex terrorist attack ever recorded. It changed the travel/airline industry forever.

It would barely register if it happened somewhere else? Youre mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

YFlyer wrote: »
    Prisoners been released into society.

Any word on their past crimes?

I'm all for white collars being released for the sake of reducing the Petri dish.

I doubt they're releasing anyone dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Anyone who's worried about not being able to buy hand sanitizer, don't worry!

USE SOAP

Liquid soap, or a bar of soap, apparently soap in any form with water is very good at making the virus slip off your hands. So wash your hands frequently with soap and water....

• Advertisement

Not sure if posted earlier but this is best article on the outbreak I have read. Its quite long but pretty damn insighting .

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
    Yeah it's popped up once or twice. You should put a health warning with it! Very detailed, too much detail IMO, but he does have an alarmist save the world vibe going through it. Good source but not the chap you want doing pressers every day to the public!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,788 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone who's worried about not being able to buy hand sanitizer, don't worry!

USE SOAP

Liquid soap, or a bar of soap, apparently soap in any form with water is very good at making the virus slip off your hands. So wash your hands frequently with soap and water....

What we need are tips re liquid soap on the move...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

steer wrote: »
    Local priest put sanitizer in the church.
    All stolen

God helps those who help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

“He probably wouldn’t have lived, but we couldn’t even try because there are no beds, and we have to ration our resources. It kills me.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/coronavirus-italian-doctors-on-how-ireland-can-avoid-disaster-1.4202054?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    “He probably wouldn’t have lived, but we couldn’t even try because there are no beds, and we have to ration our resources. It kills me.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/coronavirus-italian-doctors-on-how-ireland-can-avoid-disaster-1.4202054?mode=amp

People need to realise that the reason some people are surviving this is because other people are dying. By that one person being allowed to die, someone else is allowed to be saved. They are unintentional heros

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

As long as people get to have a few pints though it's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

that was a grim read and all these ejits going to the pub it would make your blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

that was a grim read and all these ejits going to the pub it would make your blood boil.

And the thing is some of those people will die as a result of this even without getting the virus because the health service won't be able to adequately deal with them if they have an accident or get something that requires emergency care. But getting a few pints in is more important obviously.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    As long as people get to have a few pints though it's grand
    Holohan, when asked about this, kept saying it is about personal responsibility. They are not recommending it. He also mentioned some restaurants are incorporating social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭threeball

xl500 wrote: »
    Well Whether you get it or Not All I am saying is If Spain Has announced a State Of Emergency and all non-essintial Travel is advised not to travel

Then I believe People should not travel but they certainly should not be charged for helping to prevent the spread of Covid 19 they should be refunded in my humble opinion

All businesses will crumble if they have to refund everyone. Cashflow kills businesses. If you don't want hotels and airlines around after this then I suggest sucking up a relatively minor cost

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement