Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    “He probably wouldn’t have lived, but we couldn’t even try because there are no beds, and we have to ration our resources. It kills me.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/coronavirus-italian-doctors-on-how-ireland-can-avoid-disaster-1.4202054?mode=amp

Just read it myself and was going to post, ultimately this will be flu like for some and life ending for others. I don’t think people under 60 with no underlying illnesses should be complacent in thinking they will be fine as anyone could end up in ICU, will we have enough beds, staff respirators, who knows, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Anyone who's worried about not being able to buy hand sanitizer, don't worry!

USE SOAP

Liquid soap, or a bar of soap, apparently soap in any form with water is very good at making the virus slip off your hands. So wash your hands frequently with soap and water....

Have myself and the car destroyed. Have a kettle basin and load of liquid soap. It was grand the first time but driving around with the kettle and basin, fcuk me i don’t know how others are managing. Car is destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Not sure if posted earlier but this is best article on the outbreak I have read. Its quite long but pretty damn insighting .

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

I posted it a couple of threads ago, but its updated since then. Very good piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »
    Holohan, when asked about this, kept saying it is about personal responsibility. They are not recommending it. He also mentioned some restaurants are incorporating social distancing.

Large swathes of the population don't have any personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mate of mine complaining on our WhatsApp group that him and the wife couldn't get into their favourite restaurant last night because it was packed, so they went to another and then on to the pub - both of which were busy.

Eejits the lot of them. It didn't even take 48 hours for many to get back to "normal"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Holohan, when asked about this, kept saying it is about personal responsibility.

Lol.
    If people are incapable of picking up their own dog's sh1t they're not going to take a blind bit of notice of that.

If it was any other sector, it would be shut down immediately, but oh no not our beloved pubs. Both owners and patrons have been irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

A newborn baby in London caught it.

It's like the chicken pox. Kids can get catch it but they are much better at fighting it off than us.
    My two have started coughing during the night. This virus would have you paranoid about every cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭threeball

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Mate of mine complaining on our WhatsApp group that him and the wife couldn't get into their favourite restaurant last night because it was packed, so they went to another and then on to the pub - both of which were busy.

Eejits the lot of them. It didn't even take 48 hours for many to get back to "normal"

Same d1ckheads won't want to go to work Monday in case they catch it but will want to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

hurikane wrote: »
    Have myself and the car destroyed. Have a kettle basin and load of liquid soap. It was grand the first time but driving around with the kettle and basin, fcuk me i don’t know how others are managing. Car is destroyed.

I see what you mean :)

My post should have said when washing your hands 'at home'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think the government should be looking at setting up services to allow for the isolating all people over 65 or 70 for several weeks.

Meals on wheels, shopping deliveries, mobile pharmacy, fuel supplies, healthcare visits etc. A lot of that could be helped/organised by local volunteers. Many old people in the country are not online and are frightened but they have to venture out for food and supplies. The panic buyers must frighten them even more.

making this compulsory would be a bad thing and not needful. It would lead to further isolation.

and the problem is the personnel to do this ?Especially with the virus spreading.

Many old folk are totally alone with no transport and thankfully many already get help but much more needed.
    There was a case recently where a van driver delivering food to an old lady in an outlying area got no response. Called the Gardai; the old lady had died a few days before.

It isn't just a ? of fear but the practicality,and if the virus spreads there will be fewer folk free to help them.
    people can get emergency "tags" and phones. Maybe issuing them would be a good start; last time I looked they cost after a few months, but that may have changed?

Food deliveries are a real safeguard and as this is up to existing facilities more practicable. Shops in rural areas are more used to this.

And good neighbours are essential.

There is an excellent organisation called ALONE who will provide practical information including contact for and with vulnerable old folk. google? ( Cannot post links)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Large swathes of the population don't have any personal responsibility.
    That's not generally evident. There seems to be enough awareness and requisite rather than straight-up draconian is the right social response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    “He probably wouldn’t have lived, but we couldn’t even try because there are no beds, and we have to ration our resources. It kills me.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/coronavirus-italian-doctors-on-how-ireland-can-avoid-disaster-1.4202054?mode=amp

That is the stupid article that made my mother cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,792 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Holohan, when asked about this, kept saying it is about personal responsibility. They are not recommending it. He also mentioned some restaurants are incorporating social distancing.

Yeah you might be Tony's biggest cheerleader but in the real world its plain to see "personal responsibility" doesnt exist for some of the biggest idiots. They need as many choices as possible made for them for the good of everyone.

Prevent the dunces going on the lash or to Cheltenham. They are too stupid for the nations health if given any choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Stay away from friends like these, and in general.

At this stage everyone especially friends like that are your enemy

Then what's the point of closing the schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Behind a paywall but the general gist is financially support people to self isolate I think. UBI is really where people should be looking at this stage.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-why-central-bank-must-give-everyone-free-money-right-now-1.4201160?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fopinion%2Fdavid-mcwilliams-why-central-bank-must-give-everyone-free-money-right-now-1.4201160

Also on ventilators....
    Germany’s Draegerwerk said its government placed an order for 10,000 ventilators for intensive respiratory care, the medical gear maker’s largest order ever and equivalent to a year’s normal production.

Hard-hit Italy, with more than 10,000 infections and 1,000 deaths from the virus so far, tendered for 5,000 ventilators and other desperately needed medical equipment.

Italy may have less than a quarter of the breathing machines necessary to help patients as infections fill their lungs with fluid, Andreas Wieland, chief executive of the world’s largest ventilator maker Hamilton Medical, told Reuters.

“There’s a huge discrepancy between available ventilators and the need,” Wieland said in an interview, adding that the U.S. Army is among customers looking to order more. “Turkey has ordered many ventilators, China has ordered many devices, the United States – actually, everyone is ordering.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-draegerwerk-ventil/germany-italy-rush-to-buy-life-saving-ventilators-as-manufacturers-warn-of-shortages-idUKKBN210362

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

Jet 2 planes on the way to Spain turning around and coming back,looks like Spain is going to full lock down

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Here are the figures for numbers infected by date and totals*

29 Feb 1 (Total 1)

3 March 1 (Total 2)

4 March 4 (Total 6)

5 March 7 (Total 13)

6 March 5 (Total 18 )

7 March 1 (Total 19)

8 March 2 (Total 21)

9 March 3 (Total 24)

10 March 10 (Total 34)

11 March 9 (Total 43) 1 death

12 March 27 (Total 70)

13 March 20 (Total 90)

In 2 weeks Ireland has gone from 1 to 90 people diagnosed with COVID-19

Figures for the scale of community type infection is unknown at this time.

Source:

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yeah you might be Tony's biggest cheerleader but in the real world its plain to see "personal responsibility" doesnt exist for some of the biggest idiots. They need as many choices as possible made for them for the good of everyone.

Prevent the dunces going on the lash or to Cheltenham. They are too stupid for the nations health if given any choice.
    No, I just deal in facts not internet bravado.

Then what's the point of closing the schools?
    Kids are germ makers! Worse than the bats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    Jet 2 planes on the way to Spain turning around and coming back,looks like Spain is going to full lock down

other airlines are still flying, its odd though

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1238754374840696832

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

"Europe has now become the epicentre of the pandemic," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a virtual press conference.

He described the more than 5,000 deaths worldwide as "a tragic milestone".

"Our message to countries continues to be, you must take a comprehensive approach. Not testing alone, not contact tracing alone, not quarantine alone, not social distancing alone - do it all," he said.

everything non essential needs to be shut down is what he is saying.

gozunda wrote: »
    Here are the figures for numbers infected by date and totals*

29 Feb 1 (Total 1)

3 March 1 (Total 2)

4 March 4 (Total 6)

5 March 7 (Total 13)

6 March 5 (Total 18 )

7 March 1 (Total 19)

8 March 2 (Total 21)

9 March 3 (Total 24)

10 March 10 (Total 34)

11 March 9 (Total 43) 1 death

12 March 27 (Total 70)

13 March 20 (Total 90)

In 2 weeks Ireland has gone from 1 to 90 people diagnosed with COVID-19

An estimate for the scale of community type infection is unknown at this time.

Source:

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

Fascinating, nice comparison with mine.

Ireland - 27th February Zero cases here in the ROI.

On the 1st of March 2020 the1st case of Covid-19 was recorded here in Ireland (ROI) by the HSE.

Trajectory from 1st of March . . . .

1, 6, 13, 19, 21, 24, 34, (43 ), (70), (90) . . .

90 cases recorded as of today, Friday 13h March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Acosta

pjohnson wrote: »

Tony needs to decide whether he's an economist or a health care professional. And fast.

He also needs to start informing the public the general locations of bad outbreaks, especially now that there's community testing happening. Maybe then people still going to the pub and restaurants will cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭threeball

silverharp wrote: »

Probably another airline about to collapse. Doesn't want to have to transport people back

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

I'm confused how the lockdown in Ireland will work long term?
    Is it not akin to hiding from a virus that will survive much longer than the country can stay in lockdown?

It seem to me that herd immunity is the only long term solution, whether achieved through vaccination or infection.

Perhaps to defeat this we need to grasp the nettle awful and all as the cost of that entails?

How long did it take I must do that now you mention it

20-30 mins. Get your mprn and have a meter reading ready.

Acosta wrote: »
    Tony needs to decide whether he's an economist or a health care professional. And fast.

He also needs to start informing the public the general locations of bad outbreaks, especially now that there's community testing happening. Maybe then people still going to the pub and restaurants will cop on.
    There's always rolling out the army to take care of it.

kevcos wrote: »
    I'm confused how the lockdown in Ireland will work long term?
    Is it not akin to hiding from a virus that will survive much longer than the country can stay in lockdown?

It seem to me that herd immunity is the only long term solution, whether achieved through vaccination or infection.

Perhaps to defeat this we need to grasp the nettle awful and all as the cost of that entails?

Well indeed, that's why people shouldn't keep bashing "The Brits" .

See post #1162.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

silverharp wrote: »

Gone bust?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement