Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Then what's the point of closing the schools?

Its to try slow things down and also prepare for the lockdown thats coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

kevcos wrote: »
    I'm confused how the lockdown in Ireland will work long term?
    Is it not akin to hiding from a virus that will survive much longer than the country can stay in lockdown?

It seem to me that herd immunity is the only long term solution, whether achieved through vaccination or infection.

Perhaps to defeat this we need to grasp the nettle awful and all as the cost of that entails?

It's about delaying the peak- flattening the curve so that our health service won't be overwhelmed and choices made about who will get treated and who won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I wonder will many of the boyos coming home from Cheltenham be ordered to stay in the garage for the next fortnight? Maybe grounds for divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Perhaps to defeat this we need to grasp the nettle awful and all as the cost of that entails?

Would you give your life to grasp that nettle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Jet2 going to the wall? Travel ban issued by UK government? Spain blocking the UK? Jesus these are scary times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Really is quite remarkable how some people are taking this as an opportunity to do whatever they want. Also another confirmation, as if we needed it, of the destructive relationship our country has with alcohol. At the start of a Pandemic “they can take our schools/jobs, but they can’t take our drink”. Quite sad really as no doubt they’ve told themselves some story that makes this perfectly acceptable .... Like the assh*les that went to Cheltenham and the country next door choosing to cull the old/vulnerable (and healthcare system by extension).

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

That is a scary article.Id say we will be going on lockdown from Monday,and after reading that,i hope we will.There are still a lot of people out and about,and we are a small Island.This virus will spread rapidly ,if people are mixing.Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Boggles wrote: »

He's hoping someone will give his life for him....like Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

is_that_so wrote: »
    Kids are germ makers! Worse than the bats.

And if pubs stay open many of those will go home and infect the children .So the kids who were not already infected now are and not due to being in school but due to the eejits who gather in crowds in pubs .
    If the schools close then logically then so must pubs and clubs and anywhere that crowds gather in close proximity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Mate of mine complaining on our WhatsApp group that him and the wife couldn't get into their favourite restaurant last night because it was packed, so they went to another and then on to the pub - both of which were busy.

Eejits the lot of them. It didn't even take 48 hours for many to get back to "normal"

As most countries are doing this idea that everyone is house bound outside Ireland is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

Is it not akin to hiding from a virus that will survive much longer than the country can stay in lockdown?

It seem to me that herd immunity is the only long term solution, whether achieved through vaccination or infection.

UK will be the guiney pigs I suppose. Will antibodies developed make you immune, do they know this, will Covid 19 mutate like it’s done once already. Too many questions and very little answers as yet, only it’s spreading very rapidly so where do you hedge your bets, because you are gambling with lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Its to try slow things down and also prepare for the lockdown thats coming.

But if, as other posters are suggesting, people are packing out restaurants & pubs then the virus will be transmitted anyway!

By adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭threeball

It's a delay tactic. They're probably banking on thousands being infected already.

There needs to be a plan put in place for future. A controlled infection where we quarantine and deliberately infect the people with least susceptibility. Create immunity in a controlled manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Boggles wrote: »

Ridiculous question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Jet2 going to the wall? Travel ban issued by UK government? Spain blocking the UK? Jesus these are scary times.

Jet2 will have a lot of package holidaymakers. Best to bring them home and stem losses rather than land them. Wouldn’t be surprised if flights from Spain generally shut down tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭amacca

Fair enough, you first.

Thank you and remember that if you or a loved one end up needing a ventilator that isn't available the irish economy/its people salute your sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

gozunda wrote: »
    Here are the figures for numbers infected by date and totals*

29 Feb 1 (Total 1)

3 March 1 (Total 2)

4 March 4 (Total 6)

5 March 7 (Total 13)

6 March 5 (Total 18 )

7 March 1 (Total 19)

8 March 2 (Total 21)

9 March 3 (Total 24)

10 March 10 (Total 34)

11 March 9 (Total 43) 1 death

12 March 27 (Total 70)

13 March 20 (Total 90)

In 2 weeks Ireland has gone from 1 to 90 people diagnosed with COVID-19

Figures for the scale of community type infection is unknown at this time.

Source:

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

On track to double every 3 days it seems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Drumpot wrote: »
    Really is quite remarkable how some people are taking this as an opportunity to do whatever they want. Also another confirmation, as if we needed it, of the destructive relationship our country has with alcohol. At the start of a Pandemic “they can take our schools/jobs, but they can’t take our drink”. Quite sad really as no doubt they’ve told themselves some story that makes this perfectly acceptable .... Like the assh*les that went to Cheltenham and the country next door choosing to cull the old/vulnerable (and healthcare system by extension).

Thick cnuts being thick cnuts. Would be no problem if just they suffered but they will spread it to innocent people who are taking precautions, selfish bollixes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,792 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, I just deal in facts not internet bravado.

No you worship Tony even when he contradicts other more sensible preventative measures (nursing home closures, saying schools wont close etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The Donald Trump Coronavirus timeline
    1. Says there is nothing to worry about and it will go away
    2. Says it is a hoax by the Democrats
    3. Is photographed standing beside someone diagnosed a few days later
    4. Declares a national emergency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Local Aldi like Christmas.
    Car park full.
    Pasta and rice gone.
    Plenty of milk, bread and meat... For now.

Ridiculous question.

It's the most pertinent question you could be asked when you are suggesting a treatment for this should be effectively a mass cull.

So I take it no you wouldn't give your life but you would expect others to.

On behalf of "others" go do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

amacca wrote: »
    Fair enough, you first.

Thank you and remember that if you or a loved one end up needing a ventilator that isn't available the irish economy/its people salute your sacrifice.

Oh put a sock in it.
    I'm asking how/if this can be defeated by hiding from it.
    And I live in the UK so I wont be hogging your ventilator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

hurikane wrote: »
    Have myself and the car destroyed. Have a kettle basin and load of liquid soap. It was grand the first time but driving around with the kettle and basin, fcuk me i don’t know how others are managing. Car is destroyed.

I know people were giving me looks when I rinsed my hands with a gallon drum of water on the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

But if, as other posters are suggesting, people are packing out restaurants & pubs then the virus will be transmitted anyway!

By adults.

This occurred in Italy. That’s why they shut restaurants and bars the day we announced our lockdown. Even Belgium is closing their pubs. People are thick and irresponsible and need to be forced to go home.

The Donald Trump Coronavirus timeline
    1. Says there is nothing to worry about and it will go away
    2. Says it is a hoax by the Democrats
    3. Is photographed standing beside someone diagnosed a few days later
    4. Declares a national emergency

Shakes hands with the entire "team" who are dealing with it, entire team spits into the same microphone for an hour.

Absolute dotard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

Great Info from this Dr. Applies to all. Shocking to hear that number you hear of infected is actually multiplied by 10 even 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

I love that the 'we can't do anything about it and we shouldn't even try because it's inconvenient and expensive' attitude has jumped the topic-barrier from Climate Change.

I trust we'll hear no more about how Irish men love their mammies, because when push came to shove they couldn't give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What are those who live away from family, or single fathers doing?

College students will presumably go home, but what about those who say work in Dublin and rent during the week, or those with kids who don't live with them.

My little lad is old enough to be worried about daddy and his mam is freaking out about the situation a bit as her own parents are self-isolating in the countryside (60+ with medical conditions).
    We luckily still get on well so she's asking if I want to relocate there for at least a few weeks.

I can work from home so no issue in that regard, but from a practical point of view I'd be worried about leaving my own place unoccupied for several weeks or longer so thinking I'd have to at least come back once a week to check on things - assuming things don't really get bad and a complete lock down and travel restrictions were imposed.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

By adults.

I know its wreckless by those who do, they might be the cause of a lockdown coming sooner as the gov ses that people cant be trusted to behave.

I have to go out now to get gas and coal to keep us warm and cook food for the next month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement