Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

tbayers wrote: »
    On track to double every 3 days it seems?

I read somewhere that we need to keep it at around 6 days for the health service to be able to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

threeball wrote: »
    I don't get this. People worrying about 100 euro flights rather than catching or spreading a deadly disease. Same people would drop it out of their pocket pulling up change for a pint and not bat an eyelid. People need to get a grip. Get off the flights, shut the airports, do business through Skype and FaceTime. Unless you are travelling home then stay put.

It's not 100 flights for everyone. For example, I have 4 flights for 457 euro each, then paid the baggage on top, paid for rental car, paid for parking here at airport, bought new cases, new clothes for kids, paid for insurance, bought extra annual leave in work as had another trip later in the year, paid accommodation balance in full just before all this. Was renting a villa. 3k plus of which I can only now get back 25%. And possibly some other extras.

I won't be going and will take loss on the chin unless something changes in the next no that allows my insurance policy to recover costs. I can take the monetary loss no problem but unfortunately there could be a lot of people in similar situations where they had to save a long time and will be now down significantly relative to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And if pubs stay open many of those will go home and infect the children .So the kids who were not already infected now are and not due to being in school but due to the eejits who gather in crowds in pubs .
    If the schools close then logically then so must pubs and clubs and anywhere that crowds gather in close proximity
    Kids are fine, it's the adults you need to be concerned about. I get people's need to see a level of normalcy. For a lot of people this whole thing is stressful to overwhelming. For now they stay open and I can understand the unwillingness to cause more economic problems to the hospitality sector, problems that would directly affect people who also have families.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Boggles wrote: »
    It's the most pertinent question you could be asked when you are suggesting a treatment for this should be effectively a mass cull.

So I take it no you wouldn't give your life but you would expect others to.

On behalf of "others" go do one.

Relax princess, I was asking a question, not beckoning people into a train carriage with the barrel of a gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

kevcos wrote: »
    I'm confused how the lockdown in Ireland will work long term?
    Is it not akin to hiding from a virus that will survive much longer than the country can stay in lockdown?

It seem to me that herd immunity is the only long term solution, whether achieved through vaccination or infection.

Perhaps to defeat this we need to grasp the nettle awful and all as the cost of that entails?

The Uk is effectively killing a larger percentage of its population now in the hope that it works out in the long term. It’s not like nobody else in the world could of come up with that strategy, they are basically gambling that it works and that doing pretty much the opposite to everybody else will yield dividends in the long run. Maybe their economy will be back up quicker, but there will of been a massive cost socially and with bodies. The thought of a country prioritising it’s economy over its most vulnerable people is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Kunkka wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/uk-to-ban-mass-gatherings-in-coronavirus-u-turn

That's just on their change in strategy. Don't have anything specific on the theory being debunked but it has been doing the rounds for sure.

The government is probably starting to get reports from the NHS of hospitals getting close to saturation point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Drumpot wrote: »
    Really is quite remarkable how some people are taking this as an opportunity to do whatever they want. Also another confirmation, as if we needed it, of the destructive relationship our country has with alcohol. At the start of a Pandemic “they can take our schools/jobs, but they can’t take our drink”. Quite sad really as no doubt they’ve told themselves some story that makes this perfectly acceptable .... Like the assh*les that went to Cheltenham and the country next door choosing to cull the old/vulnerable (and healthcare system by extension).

Ah but shure you can't bate a few pandemic pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But if, as other posters are suggesting, people are packing out restaurants & pubs then the virus will be transmitted anyway!

By adults.
    TBF it was one poster with one second-hand story and one restaurant and one pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Relax princess, I was asking a question, not beckoning people into a train carriage with the barrel of a gun.

And you were simply asked a question back my dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

They've suspended all operations to Spain linked article is in english

https://twitter.com/fuertedigital/status/1238763825677193218?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've been thinking about the potentially forthcoming vaccine and the kind of rigorous testing vaccines have to go through before being released. But with a disease this deadly to certain sections of society and one that will so rapidly overwhelm healthcare systems, might it not be possible that it's deemed more prudent to bypass normal testing procedures? I could easily see a point that if and when a reasonably effective vaccine is created it will be very quickly offered to people in the high risk categories, ie all people over 80 and people over 60 with one or more conditions that put them in the high morbidity categories, like cardiovascular illness, diabetes and cancer.

Yes it will be a complete and utter experiment and carry risk but compared to the experiment that the British seem intent on, it would be far more humane. And compared to keeping countries on some degree of lockdown for a further 12-18 months while normal testing is carried out I could see most governments amending laws to allow rapid distribution of a not completely tested vaccine, so economies can be restarted as soon as possible.

Have news now channel on and they are repeating nationwide. They have just shown a competition to win a trip to the states. You have to enter by premium rate number.

****ing hell could they not stop these comps and realise that taking money off people for the likes of this is completely unethical right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Piedmont, with a population of 4.4M people and the region immediately to the west of Lombardy has 840 cases and 46 deaths.

Social distancing and lockdown is working in the majority of other Italian regions.

There are NO food shortages even with 24hr lockdown.

http://opendatadpc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/b0c68bce2cce478eaac82fe38d4138b1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The Uk is effectively killing a larger percentage of its population now in the hope that it works out in the long term. It’s not like nobody else in the world could of come up with that strategy, they are basically gambling that it works and that doing pretty much the opposite to everybody else will yield dividends in the long run. Maybe their economy will be back up quicker, but there will of been a massive cost socially and with bodies. The thought of a country prioritising it’s economy over its most vulnerable people is disgusting.

It's never been done before.

It's utter madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I read somewhere that we need to keep it at around 6 days for the health service to be able to cope.

They will obviously know this and if figures are on wrong trend they will have no choice but to shut country down. I'm in food producing industry, il be working regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Well indeed, that's why people shouldn't keep bashing "The Brits" .

See post #1162.

Isn't the idea to 'flatten the curve'? If we leave everything open, and encourage people to mix, then we will see a sharp increase in infected/people needing hospitalisation/people dying. Can our hospitals cope with that? If we flatten the curve, my understanding is that we spread out infection over the next few months, which means a more 'manageable' pressure on our hospitals.

Anyway, for all the 'medical advice' that Boris et al claimed they were receiving, it seems the message of 'many will die' didn't go down to well with the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,792 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

blade1 wrote: »

Now now. Its about "normalcy" and "supporting the economy". These are brave noble souls in the eyes of some (Is_That_So).

Absolute wastes of skin in the eyes of the majority thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

is_that_so wrote: »
    Kids are fine, it's the adults you need to be concerned about. I get people's need to see a level of normalcy. For a lot of people this whole thing is stressful to overwhelming. For now they stay open and I can understand the unwillingness to cause more economic problems to the hospitality sector, problems that would directly affect people who also have families.

You infect the kids and the kids are then vectors .Its absolutely logical if you close schools to slow the virus you also need to close venues where crowds gather in close proximity
    I see no logic in closing theatres and Three Arena for example then allowing crowds in a pub all heaped on top of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Then what's the point of closing the schools?
    It's the first step. It won't be effective though until they close all retail and social outlets. Pubs, clubs, cafe's, shopping centre's, etc. Once our ICU beds fill up, this will be the next step.

Asking people to take action does not work, Never has. If it did we'd have no smokers, obesity, or panic buying. People do not listen to advice.

The gov are reluctant to go to the next step.

A full lockdown will cause another recession. Many thousand job losses (ie. more strain on housing/homeless), many business closures (cash flow is paramount!), and possibly more bailouts. The longer we're on it, the worse it will be.

But... the longer we leave it the higher the mortality rate will be when the ICU units fill up (and they will fill up!)

So... do we lockdown now and go to full recession but save the lives of many 80 and 90 year olds? Or leave it a few more weeks and try to lessen the hit on the economy but at the cost of several lives of the elderly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

I can take the monetary loss no problem but unfortunately there could be a lot of people in similar situations where they had to save a long time and will be now down significantly relative to them.

You say it's a loss, but it's not: you already spent that money, it was already gone. What's happened is that you've missed a holiday due to a global health crisis.

No doubt thats ****ty, but is it 'suffocating to death because there are no respirators and no family allowed to see you' ****ty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I thought the idea was to delay the lock down to just before the NHS gets overwhelmed, that way you have lots of able folks who are over it and can help keep society going (including the NHS). They still want a wide low peak (like we do), but they are moving it forward in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

You'd nearly wish for a cull the attitudes of some.

Treating this like a big lark for time off cramming the pubs.

Going nuts with the shopping when there is no need. I was in a local aldi yesterday. Defo see the shelves were a bit depleted but nowhere near empty.

I was going just to buy booze and guess what ? Yup the wine shelves were ravaged.

There is no irish community spirit. Every cnut for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

What are the shops like this morning? I was in Tesco early yesterday (as I would be anyway) and it was fairly mental (they were only letting a certain amount of people in at any one time, large queues, but the atmosphere wasn't panicky). Hopefully they will calm down when everyone realises that the only thing that's causing shortages is people panic buying.

It's refreshing to hear that shops in lockdown areas in Italy have no problems with supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Nermal

Social distancing and lockdown is working in the majority of other Italian regions.

And when the lockdown is lifted, what will happen?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Really is quite remarkable how some people are taking this as an opportunity to do whatever they want. Also another confirmation, as if we needed it, of the destructive relationship our country has with alcohol. At the start of a Pandemic “they can take our schools/jobs, but they can’t take our drink”. Quite sad really as no doubt they’ve told themselves some story that makes this perfectly acceptable .... Like the assh*les that went to Cheltenham and the country next door choosing to cull the old/vulnerable (and healthcare system by extension).

I'm supposed to be meeting two mates for our usual Saturday morning breakfast in 30 mins.

But I'm having this internal conflict that says I shouldn't, even though we will be observing the social distancing protocols etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭threeball

It's not 100 flights for everyone. For example, I have 4 flights for 457 euro each, then paid the baggage on top, paid for rental car, paid for parking here at airport, bought new cases, new clothes for kids, paid for insurance, bought extra annual leave in work as had another trip later in the year, paid accommodation balance in full just before all this. Was renting a villa. 3k plus of which I can only now get back 25%. And possibly some other extras.

I won't be going and will take loss on the chin unless something changes in the next no that allows my insurance policy to recover costs. I can take the monetary loss no problem but unfortunately there could be a lot of people in similar situations where they had to save a long time and will be now down significantly relative to them.

That money is gone whether they went on not. It's no additional cost. If they got sick they wouldn't have went so they need to take this as if they did get sick. It's life, they lose out on a holiday. There's more important things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Achasanai wrote: »
    What are the shops like this morning?
    Don't know about this morning but I was in Tesco Extra in Drogheda at 9PM last night and it was much quieter than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Oh put a sock in it.
    I'm asking how/if this can be defeated by hiding from it.
    And I live in the UK so I wont be hogging your ventilator!

You are suggesting allowing us to have more cases than the health service can handle and accepting the deaths.

Our strategy is to slow down transmissions keep the cases at a manageable level. Let people heal and move onto the next case.

Hopefully a treatment or a vaccine will be approved before most people have to go through the virus at the current odds.

You are suggesting a strategy that would see an overwhelmed heath service tell people with lower odds of survival sorry we can't treat you. Sorry you have to die to free up a ventilator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

People who are going to pubs and restaurants or parties and events know exactly what they are doing. It’s not that they are thick.

They are cunts.....end of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement