Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

AmberGold wrote: »
    Article over on the Daily Outrage about the disproportionate amount of people with Hypertension dying. Something to do with Ace Inhibitors (on them myself) cell structure and the the virus transfer.

Not good.

I wouldn't put much store on what the Daily Outrage says. I take Ace Inhibitors myself and the expert advice is reasssuring:

https://www.escardio.org/Councils/Council-on-Hypertension-(CHT)/News/position-statement-of-the-esc-council-on-hypertension-on-ace-inhibitors-and-ang

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-questions-about-high-blood-pressure-diabetes-and-ace-inhibitor-drugs-and-risk-of-covid-19-infection/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

My wife and I had a rough few days a few weeks ago: tired, can't get warm, no energy, coughing. We took to bed for a few days because we had zero energy. Now we don't know if we've had this thing or just a mild flu (we're both flu vaccinated)

Is there any test to find out if we've had it and are now immune?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nermal wrote: »
    And when the lockdown is lifted, what will happen?

They are trialing at least 2 treatments at the moment.

Who knows what they will have in 2-3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Necro wrote: »
    But I'm having this internal conflict that says I shouldn't, even though we will be observing the social distancing protocols etc.

How are the folk cooking your brekkie socially distancing themselves from the rashers/avacado/delete as applicable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭amacca

kevcos wrote: »
    Oh put a sock in it.
    I'm asking how/if this can be defeated by hiding from it.
    And I live in the UK so I wont be hogging your ventilator!

No, lets be clear here you are suggesting that perhaps measures shouldn't be taken to delay a peak which would see a health service breakdown and many people whose lives could have been saved die needlessly.

If the UK continues down this course that imo is the likely outcome.

Its boneheaded and daft imo but time will tell, bojo and co and their bought and paid for (or knows which way the wind is blowing CMO) are gambling with peoples lives

There is absolutely no proof that herd immunity will develop and even if it does theres no guarantee when the populace cop on they wont be villified but I suppose we will see which approach is better......I know I'd rather be here than in the UK ....just wish they wouldn't drag us down with them due to their recklessness.

By the way this is a discussion forum, not your personal echo chamber. I'm not telling you to put a sock in it just responding to your posts. I'd appreciate it if you did the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭threeball

Scotty # wrote: »
    It's the first step. It won't be effective though until they close all retail and social outlets. Pubs, clubs, cafe's, shopping centre's, etc. Once our ICU beds fill up, this will be the next step.

Asking people to take action does not work, Never has. If it did we'd have no smokers, obesity, or panic buying. People do not listen to advice.

The gov are reluctant to go to the next step.

A full lockdown will cause another recession. Many thousand job losses (ie. more strain on housing/homeless), many business closures (cash flow is paramount!), and possibly more bailouts. The longer we're on it, the worse it will be.

But... the longer we leave it the higher the mortality rate will be when the ICU units fill up (and they will fill up!)

So... do we lockdown now and go to full recession but save the lives of many 80 and 90 year olds? Or leave it a few more weeks and try to lessen the hit on the economy but at the cost of several lives of the elderly?

They probably want the students, younger crowd etc infected. Less likely to interact with older people on a daily basis and they need to have an infection rate in the population to work it through. These are the best group to start with as they don't require much medical assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

People who are going to pubs and restaurants or parties and events know exactly what they are doing. It’s not that they are thick.

They are cunts.....end of.

or realise it's inevitable at this stage that the majority are going to get this bug

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Achasanai wrote: »
    Isn't the idea to 'flatten the curve'? If we leave everything open, and encourage people to mix, then we will see a sharp increase in infected/people needing hospitalisation/people dying. Can our hospitals cope with that? If we flatten the curve, my understanding is that we spread out infection over the next few months, which means a more 'manageable' pressure on our hospitals.

Anyway, for all the 'medical advice' that Boris et al claimed they were receiving, it seems the message of 'many will die' didn't go down to well with the electorate.

Playing devil’s advocate, we have taken significant measures already to limit the spread. If we all accept that this is going to keep spreading (ie it really dang be stopped, only slowed) , then not shutting down everything actually sort of makes sense. Some people are being responsible, some are not, the ones still going to pubs and being idiots are prob the ones who will get infected first. Maybe in a weird way we can let the idiots infect each other and let them be our guinea pigs while we relax at home? We can also learn a lot from their complacency on how bad this is and how likely it will end up for us.

I thought they would shut down pubs etc soon but maybe they will let that be used to herd those who can’t live without a few drinks, into the natural immune section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Nermal wrote: »
    And when the lockdown is lifted, what will happen?

1) We'll know more about the virus.
    2) Possible treatments
    3) Social distancing and increased hygiene awareness continues
    4) ICU places freed up to better new manage cases
    5) Flattened the curve until closer to emergence of vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

My wife and I had a rough few days a few weeks ago: tired, can't get warm, no energy, coughing. We took to bed for a few days because we had zero energy. Now we don't know if we've had this thing or just a mild flu (we're both flu vaccinated)

Is there any test to find out if we've had it and are now immune?

No, when the virus is gone, it's gone. The tests won't find it.
    And you can get the corona again they say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tordelback wrote: »
    How are the folk cooking your brekkie socially distancing themselves from the rashers/avacado/delete as applicable?

Exactly. Now I'm in a rural town in the North West, and it's most likely there isn't a case within miles.

But still :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Nijmegen wrote: »
    This occurred in Italy. That’s why they shut restaurants and bars the day we announced our lockdown. Even Belgium is closing their pubs. People are thick and irresponsible and need to be forced to go home.

I don't know if it's fair to say that. A lot of people suffer from mental health conditions and some social contact is really important. I'm in London at the minute and the government have not stopped large gatherings, never mind told people to avoid pubs and restaurants or going out of the house.

I have been terrified since the entire thing started, as an OCD sufferer. I went to a very quiet pub yesterday afternoon and sat outside it (just me and my friend) well away from other people, sanitised hands and washed them as soon as I got home, and I think that will be the last social contact I have for a long time now. I was supposed to go to a friend's wedding this weekend, but she's scaled it right back and there will no longer be guests or dinner. She's just doing the formal stuff and then will have a party at another time.

Just trying to work out how not to go crazy stuck inside for days on end. Have organised a few video chats with friends, downloaded Duolingo, ordered some baking stuff to make some cakes and pies. So worried and concerned for everyone I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Boggles wrote: »
    And you were simply asked a question back my dear.

I was clearly asking objectively what way will this virus be defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Even the US and Trump handling this better than the UK and Johnson's. Which is terrible news for us btw. They will probably realize in the middle of it that its just utter insanity. We probably have to accept a new way of life for the next few years towards our health.

https://twitter.com/iandonald_psych/status/1238518371651649538

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So realistically an Italy type national lockdown is inevitable. It`s just a question of when it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

It's not 100 flights for everyone. For example, I have 4 flights for 457 euro each, then paid the baggage on top, paid for rental car, paid for parking here at airport, bought new cases, new clothes for kids, paid for insurance, bought extra annual leave in work as had another trip later in the year, paid accommodation balance in full just before all this. Was renting a villa. 3k plus of which I can only now get back 25%. And possibly some other extras.

I won't be going and will take loss on the chin unless something changes in the next no that allows my insurance policy to recover costs. I can take the monetary loss no problem but unfortunately there could be a lot of people in similar situations where they had to save a long time and will be now down significantly relative to them.

Look this is a pandemic I WAS going away on Monday all inclusive fully paid for.

Airlines are going to go bust many people in the resorts we were all headed to will lose jobs.

This is an act of God there is no negligence involved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

voluntary wrote: »

But would there not be antibodies present to show our bodies had fought the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

kevcos wrote: »
    I was clearly asking objectively what way will this virus be defeated.

And I objectively asked you a pertinent question.

I think the penny has dropped with you (I hope) so we will leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

so herd immunity ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I thought the idea was to delay the lock down to just before the NHS gets overwhelmed, that way you have lots of able folks who are over it and can help keep society going (including the NHS). They still want a wide low peak (like we do), but they are moving it forward in time?

They're gambling they can control the rate of spread, but thats very risky. Those who survive may not be fit enough to take over care, or may have family issues preventing them from taking over

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They might have seen a case or two in China but that could be put down to other factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Tordelback wrote: »
    Still drunk?:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Is the virus in Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

wadacrack wrote: »
    Even the US and Trump handling this better than the UK and Johnson's. Which is terrible news for us btw. They will probably realize in the middle of it that its just utter insanity. We probably have to accept a new way of life for the next few years towards our health.

https://twitter.com/iandonald_psych/status/1238518371651649538

It's far too early to say the British aren't handling this well. There is a lot of logic to their approach, but equally it's quite risky.

However the approach of locking everything down still begs the question...what happens when the lockdown ends?

They're gambling they can control the rate of spread, but thats very risky. Those who survive may not be fit enough to take over care, or may have family issues preventing them from taking over
    OK, even with the huge 1.9m potentially infected that leaves the majority of the country healthy. 80%+ of those infected will have mild symptoms, like a flu'. This is not the Black Death!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

When you can’t find a respirator in Martinique :-)

https://www.facebook.com/1563772340543646/posts/2523475494573321/?vh=e&d=n

I am not sure those are FFP2 though!

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Is the virus in Africa?
    In more countries now but generally in small numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Boggles wrote: »
    And I objectively asked you a pertinent question.

I think the penny has dropped with you (I hope) so we will leave it there.

No, you asked a subjective question.
    I think we'll leave it at that as objective discourse seems alien to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Local Aldi like Christmas.
    Car park full.
    Pasta and rice gone.
    Plenty of milk, bread and meat... For now.

I've decided I'll block an 2 hours out in my outlook calender and go Monday at 10am to do my shopping when they should be restocked and things should be quieter.

Surely quite high risk being around all these panicky lunatics today.

Think I can weather it out for the minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement