Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Scotty # wrote: »
    Don't know about this morning but I was in Tesco Extra in Drogheda at 9PM last night and it was much quieter than usual.

the dopes needed a couple of days to get it out of their system.. I'd expect a return to normal "shops wise" this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

bilston wrote: »
    It's far too early to say the British aren't handling this well. There is a lot of logic to their approach, but equally it's quite risky.

However the approach of locking everything down still begs the question...what happens when the lockdown ends?

People will still get infected in a lockdown situation, just that it would slow it down significantly, hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I thought the idea was to delay the lock down to just before the NHS gets overwhelmed, that way you have lots of able folks who are over it and can help keep society going (including the NHS). They still want a wide low peak (like we do), but they are moving it forward in time?

As Richard Horton of the lancet said, they are playing Russian roulette with their population. They are banking everything on their healthcare system not collapsing and if that happens , like it’s happening in Italy , then it’s going to kill thousands. The only people who like this idea are those who it won’t affect. Like I’ve said before, if this was an illness killing younger people with the opposite graph, there would be no accepting these sort of measures. People are so horribly self absorbed and lacking in any compassion for anybody vulnerable once it doesn’t affect them.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/government-is-playing-roulette-with-the-public-as-uk-coronavirus-cases-hit-456/11/03/amp/

Richard Horton, editor-in-chief of Britain’s leading medical journal The Lancet, warned that we risk sleepwalking into a hurricane as officials delay their response to an escalating crisis.

He said Matt Hancock and Boris Johnson “claim they are following the science, but that is not true.

“The evidence is clear. We need urgent implementation of social distancing and closure policies. The government is playing roulette with the public. This is a major error.”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/play-dates-could-allow-children-to-spread-virus-doctors-warn-39044067.html

Poor children getting it in the neck... You'd swear they were the primary carriers of this bloody thing.

Where are the "pubs still open is a national disgrace" articles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Nermal

1) We'll know more about the virus.
    2) Possible treatments
    3) Social distancing and increased hygiene awareness continues
    4) ICU places freed up to better new manage cases
    5) Flattened the curve until closer to emergence of vaccine

So, gamble on the emergence of treatments and vaccines at an unspecified future date?

Look - we all understand flattening the curve.

But people at low risk need to get infected, at a manageable rate. Lockdowns need to be for people at high risk.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I've been thinking about the potentially forthcoming vaccine and the kind of rigorous testing vaccines have to go through before being released. But with a disease this deadly to certain sections of society and one that will so rapidly overwhelm healthcare systems, might it not be possible that it's deemed more prudent to bypass normal testing procedures? I could easily see a point that if and when a reasonably effective vaccine is created it will be very quickly offered to people in the high risk categories, ie all people over 80 and people over 60 with one or more conditions that put them in the high morbidity categories, like cardiovascular illness, diabetes and cancer.

Yes it will be a complete and utter experiment and carry risk but compared to the experiment that the British seem intent on, it would be far more humane. And compared to keeping countries on some degree of lockdown for a further 12-18 months while normal testing is carried out I could see most governments amending laws to allow rapid distribution of a not completely tested vaccine, so economies can be restarted as soon as possible.

No way.
    There would be lawsuits for years to come if the vaccine had an undesired affect on humans.
    That’s just human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

tbayers wrote: »
    On track to double every 3 days it seems?

No - it’ll be way more than that since they’re testing far more from this week onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

flynnlives wrote: »
    My main concern is the UK.

If they insist on this path of accepting and ploughing on, it could have disasterous consequences for us. I think it might be prudent in a number of weeks to halt flights from the UK or introduce some restrictions.

We can expect success in our approach when in such close proximity to a country with their approach. Especially with so many going back and forth. It just won’t work

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Don't know about this morning but I was in Tesco Extra in Drogheda at 9PM last night and it was much quieter than usual.

Taxi driver father said it was very, very quiet out last night. That it was very noticeable the pubs were nowhere near as busy as a typical Friday night. Maybe Drogheda has a bit more sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

je551e wrote: »
    Has there been any confirmed cases in children? My child woke coughing mad this morning but no temp. Has Asthma though.

So ring the GP or out of hours service and get medical advice. Seriously, why would you not do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭amacca

kevcos wrote: »
    I was clearly asking objectively what way will this virus be defeated.

you were in your hole!

you were stating a thinly veiled opinion

and telling people who responded critically to "put a sock in it" or derisively calling them "princess"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

robinph wrote: »
    I suspect that self isolating is the wrong term.

People who are ill stay home and have no contact with anyone outside. = self isolating

People at higher risk of serious outcomes take more extreme measures to attempt to avoid catching it in the first place. Think that's what we have here, and is probably what everyone should be doing anyway whilst still getting on with their lives.

There are always even in self isolation things you "HAVE" to do regardless; Keeping the car legal in case of emergency is one such. So you make it as low risk as possible as that poster did. He did nothing wrong and is not making it up. Well done NCT; even if they were scared of catching it they did right. So the term self isolation is still valid for the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

fritzelly wrote: »

Thanks for that, the number is completely inaccessible though.
    It’s kinda funny that the HSE announce new criteria for testing on a Friday afternoon just before any way to access that testing closed for an extra long weekend
    We’re in an unprecedented crisis that is time sensitive, my wife has all of the symptoms on the HSEs criteria for testing and we’re in a high risk location and it’s still unlikely she’ll have access to a test until Wednesday next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

The liars on Sky News are now saying that people have never got the coronavirus twice. This is a lie and must be called out. Some expert at 9:35am said "Now the issue we got is that this is a new virus and what we don't know is whether people will retain immunity. We know people get immunity and in vast majority of cases we think nobody thus far caught coronavirus twice but it's very early days and we could end up with that immunity waining."
    The vaccine companies have obviously being briefing her!
    We need to call out this misinformation for the health and safety of everyone and to protect us from the pharma agents.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/27/japanese-woman-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-for-second-time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

But would there not be antibodies present to show our bodies had fought the virus?
    Have you been in close contact with someone who recently returned from Italy who is now a confirmed case? If not then you didn't have coronavirus. You might get it now... but it's not what you had last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

To have pubs open on Paddys day is lunacy. Like we don't have enough excuse to go on the piss. Any prick that goes to a packed pub on tuesday is just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭jackboy

Nermal wrote: »
    But people at low risk need to get infected, at a manageable rate. Lockdowns need to be for people at high risk.

This is why I was wondering if it would be better to isolate the old and vulnerable while letting everyone else carry on as normal. It would be much easier to implement and would not destroy the economy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jackboy wrote: »
    This is why I was wondering if it would be better to isolate the old and vulnerable while letting everyone else carry on as normal. It would be much easier to implement and would not destroy the economy.

If it was easier, don’t you think that someone like the WHO or leading experts in the field might have proposed it by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The patterns of panic buying are weird. In my Centra yesterday, all the Irish sliced pans were gone but the Polish ones were piled high. They’re a bit more expensive but if you want bread, they’re exactly the same. But they weren’t being bought, except by moi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Have you been in close contact with someone who recently returned from Italy who is now a confirmed case? If not then you didn't have coronavirus. You might get it now... but it's not what you had last few weeks.

There has been cases of community transmission so you can't give them this advice for sure. Not allowed to give medical advice here in any case so please don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

iguana wrote: »
    I've been thinking about the potentially forthcoming vaccine and the kind of rigorous testing vaccines have to go through before being released. But with a disease this deadly to certain sections of society and one that will so rapidly overwhelm healthcare systems, might it not be possible that it's deemed more prudent to bypass normal testing procedures? I could easily see a point that if and when a reasonably effective vaccine is created it will be very quickly offered to people in the high risk categories, ie all people over 80 and people over 60 with one or more conditions that put them in the high morbidity categories, like cardiovascular illness, diabetes and cancer.

Yes it will be a complete and utter experiment and carry risk but compared to the experiment that the British seem intent on, it would be far more humane. And compared to keeping countries on some degree of lockdown for a further 12-18 months while normal testing is carried out I could see most governments amending laws to allow rapid distribution of a not completely tested vaccine, so economies can be restarted as soon as possible.

Companies fold when their medicines don’t work as intended. They will not be prepared to take that risk. Understandably. Also, the cure could end up killing far mire than the disease. It would be a massive risk with very little chance of upside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

How can you possibly know that? A friend of mine in London has some chest pain, wheezing and some shortness of breath, but nobody will test her because of the above reasons.

She's been living and working in London for the past 2 months while planeloads of people landed from China, then Italy and other affected areas, every single day, she spends half an hour on the tube in each direction every single day, works in a big office, and they think it's impossible she has coronavirus?

Is it just me or is this completely insane?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Akrasia wrote: »
    Thanks for that, the number is completely inaccessible though.
    It’s kinda funny that the HSE announce new criteria for testing on a Friday afternoon just before any way to access that testing closed for an extra long weekend
    We’re in an unprecedented crisis that is time sensitive, my wife has all of the symptoms on the HSEs criteria for testing and we’re in a high risk location and it’s still unlikely she’ll have access to a test until Wednesday next week.

You're supposed to call your GP not the HSE? Then your GP will assess and refer to get tested if necessary is what I got from that link?

Where are you getting Wednesday from?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Heckler wrote: »
    To have pubs open on Paddys day is lunacy. Like we don't have enough excuse to go on the piss. Any prick that goes to a packed pub on tuesday is just that.

Ireland's relationship with alcohol once again showing its destructive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Taxi driver father said it was very, very quiet out last night. That it was very noticeable the pubs were nowhere near as busy as a typical Friday night. Maybe Drogheda has a bit more sense...

Only in some places. My dad had to turn people away at 100 in Drogheda last night. Good to see Trinity Quarter chose to close yesterday to avoid staff getting ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

You see, here's the thing. Unless I ask everyone in a very busy town have they just returned from Italy, how am I supposed to know if I was in contact with an infected person or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

leavingirl wrote: »
    The liars on Sky News are now saying that people have never got the coronavirus twice. This is a lie and must be called out. Some expert at 9:35am said "Now the issue we got is that this is a new virus and what we don't know is whether people will retain immunity. We know people get immunity and in vast majority of cases we think nobody thus far caught coronavirus twice but it's very early days and we could end up with that immunity waining."
    The vaccine companies have obviously being briefing her!
    We need to call out this misinformation for the health and safety of everyone and to protect us from the pharma agents.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/27/japanese-woman-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-for-second-time

If you read the article you linked, it says that the first infection might have become dormant in her system and not left her rather than being a reinfection. Note my saying ‘might’. This is a developing situation and a novel virus. Scientists don’t have all the answers right now. They are trying to figure it out. They also ackowledge in the article that it could be a reinfection.

And Sky doesn’t even say for sure there in the bit you quoted that reinfection can’t occur. So where are they lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

Excuse my ignorance, but what makes this more deadly than that swine flu outbreak where over 20 people died in Ireland? There wasn’t the same shut downs back then. Is it the fact there’s no vaccine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Heckler wrote: »

Govt need to take the decion to shut the pubs today.

Otherwise it is just setting up for a disastrous Tuesday and we will be all looking at hordes of people roaming around Temple Bar on the webcams.

All their good work to date will be blown apart.

Edit* I hope what they are doing is not letting it pass and then taking these measures.

Michael Ryan said to act now and not wait. Obviously we will lose revenue but so what.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement