Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

flatten-the-curve-smaller.gif?fit=670%2C565&ssl=1

A good visual graph highlighting why it’s important to slow the spread. Quite simply, it reduces deaths. UK are taking a massive gamble that may underestimate the spread and that leads to more people dieing , which will be compounded further by a healthcare system that’s over run. That wouldn’t just kill corona patients who need critical care but anybody else who has any other condition that needs critical care.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

cefh17 wrote: »
    It took for pubs to close for it to be SERIOUS?

:rolleyes:

It got serious for me when Tom Hanks got infected.

I mean fúck me, Tom Hanks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

namloc1980 wrote: »
    If pubs do get closed and any publican has a private lock in anyway, they should get 10 years in prison.

I'm not going to but I have a serious hankering for an early morning session in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Drumpot wrote: »
    flatten-the-curve-smaller.gif?fit=670%2C565&ssl=1

A good visual graph highlighting why it’s important to slow the spread. Quite simply, it reduces deaths. UK are taking a massive gamble that they underestimate the spread and that leads to more people dieing , which will be compounded further by a healthcare system that’s over run. That wouldn’t just kill corona patients who need critical care but anybody else who has any other condition that needs critical care.

They are not gambling; they are banking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pawdee wrote: »
    I hear the pubs are closing next week. Now it's SERIOUS.

Next week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

DrumSteve wrote: »

Yet, post #1588

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Switzerland already has 236 new cases and 2 new deaths today.

Austria 96 new cases...

Gonna be a rough day across the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Ger Roe wrote: »
    The vintners association webpage has calls for clarification from the government about what they should do.

Maybe people power should tell them - take a decision yourselves for the common good .

They can be sent a message here:
    http://lva.ie/contact/

Publicans are juggling their livelihood the common good and their own health , the government needs to call it and put in place supports for the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

DrumSteve wrote: »

Amended, good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Boggles wrote: »
    It got serious for me when Tom Hanks got infected.

I mean fúck me, Tom Hanks like.

Life is like a box of chocolates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

No shortage of flights over Europe at the minute, or to the US.

flights.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

greeno wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what makes this more deadly than that swine flu outbreak where over 20 people died in Ireland? There wasn’t the same shut downs back then. Is it the fact there’s no vaccine?

There was no vaccine for swine flu at the time either, though it was developed very fast (not without consequences).

Swine flu is an influenza which they have managed to develop vaccines for different strains throughout recent times.

Coronavirus, there are no vaccines for. None for Sars, Mers nor the common cold.

Plus this virus seems to have a much larger spreading capability than swine flu. Swine flu was also treatable to a certain extent with anti viral such as tamiflu if taken early on.

There is no treatment or cure for Coronavirus, only supportive therapy for people who need it while they ride it out.

It is rampant, and I think that's why the measures are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

The patterns of panic buying are weird. In my Centra yesterday, all the Irish sliced pans were gone but the Polish ones were piled high. They’re a bit more expensive but if you want bread, they’re exactly the same. But they weren’t being bought, except by moi.

I buy Polish bread all the time.

Compare the ingredients of your Brennan's sliced pan with Polish bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Scotty # wrote: »

flights.png
    Europe definitely has this under control :pac:

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

I hope the pubs close down soon, also flights need to be restricted. We’re lucky to be an island , we can contain this easier than other counties. I know it will be a financial hit but .. health before wealth!

Our health system isn’t strong enough for this. We need to minimise the amount of people getting this virus all at once or else the health care workers will be put into terrible scenarios and making difficult choices like in Italy.

If our hospitals are over run with cases from the virus, it leaves less beds and healthcare workers to deal with people who are coming in with ailments such as appendix , heart attacks , strokes etc.

I hope the government takes action before it’s not too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

It looks alarming when people post the increase in the number of cases but they're going to increase for quite a bit before things get better. What with the increase in testing worldwide, criteria for testing somewhat relaxed in places, and the increase in the number of people requesting to be tested.

So it might initially look bad but for my own sanity I'm taking the above into account whenever I see any increases over these next few weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I buy Polish bread all the time.

Compare the ingredients of your Brennan's sliced pan with Polish bread.

is the polish bread much better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

will there be as much testing done this weekend ?...will it be same as during the past weekdays....last weekend they did less tests compared to weekdays before...have i got that right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

is the polish bread much better?

Yes but they only do WHTIE bread.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Publicans are juggling their livelihood the common good and their own health , the government needs to call it and put in place supports for the private sector.

They are the most effective lobby group in the country. They can fight their own battles later and will have more resources and powerful contacts than most to do so. In the meantime, I would appreciate if they would not gamble with my health and do the decent thing.

I might even support them in their fight for compensation or whatever, then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

sterz wrote: »
    It looks alarming when people post the increase in the number of cases but they're going to increase for quite a bit before things get better. What with the increase in testing worldwide, criteria for testing somewhat relaxed in places, and the increase in the number of people requesting to be tested.

So it might initially look bad but for my own sanity I'm taking the above into account whenever I see any increases over these next few weeks/months.

Exactly, the number of cases is going to escalate rapidly, the health authorities have been expecting it, people shouldnt react as if things are suddenly spiralling out of control

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

devnull wrote: »
    Friend who works in the UK school has just been told that the government is considering plans to force schools to stay open and to take 'serious enforcement action' against headteachers who close their schools, including passing a law to require headteachers to do so. If headteachers do not comply, they will face action to 'enforce the law'

There's also now talk about lowering standards in care homes which are already in crisis, that surely cannot have a positive effect on the outlook for people in those homes, which is in line with the governments herd immunity strategy.

Bad time to be an old and sick or vulnerable person in the UK now, The government appears to be openly going for policies which are going to have a serious effect on you and obviously they are quite willing to sacrifice your life to deal with the social care crisis and save some money so they can be a big economy once this is all over since the majority of their old and sick are dead whilst other countries are still paying for them.

Boris will go down in history as a very evil figure indeed.

This is about as whacky as any other conspiracy theory out there.

I am much more comfortable with the strategy we are following here. But the UK strategy is also grounded in science. On paper it seems rational. However, I doubt it will work in practice (or even be implementable), as it depends on prolonged and stringent self-isolation by the most vulnerable. Only time will tell what their mortality rate will be like compared to ours.

The notion that they are preparing a "law" to compel headteachers to keep schools open is somewhat comparable to the WhatsApp story of a complete lockdown here from Monday - only more bizarre. But in a time of panic shopping, why not panic rumours?

And as for the possible lowering of standards in nursing homes, this is no more than reflecting reality. Their staffing levels are going to be hit by the epidemic and there is no way they will be able to maintain staffing ratios as they are regulated now. What are they supposed to do - send people home? The same problems will arise in nursing homes here, whether it is officially acknowledged or not. Indeed, another risk to nursing homes is that staff will be sucked away from them by recruitment to the health service to meet crisis demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

dougm1970 wrote: »
    will there be as much testing done this weekend ?...will it be same as during the past weekdays....last weekend they did less tests compared to weekdays before...have i got that right ?

Look forget about tests just assume this thing is everywhere at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Tordelback wrote: »
    You say it's a loss, but it's not: you already spent that money, it was already gone. What's happened is that you've missed a holiday due to a global health crisis.

No doubt thats ****ty, but is it 'suffocating to death because there are no respirators and no family allowed to see you' ****ty?

Semantics or whatever way you want to coin it. The what was going to happen isn't relevant to anyone in that situation now. It's the what is happening that is more important. And they are not getting the service they paid for due to health concerns. And rightly so health should be put first. People are going to feel like they have lost money because they don't get to avail of what they paid for and could probably do with the money now given the uncertainty ahead. You say losing out on a holiday. It's not like people all won holidays on a radio show that they don't get to go on. People had money go out of their account and won't get what they paid for in return. So most people will see if as a loss regardless of correct terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

flights.png

Anyone else mentally replacing the planes with the image of the virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You might think things are bad here but in Italy it's far worse - from the guardian

Italians sing patriotic songs from their balconies during coronavirus lockdown

Neighbours from Naples to Tuscany make harmonies across empty streets to lift spirits and pass the time during quarantine

Oh boy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Look forget about tests just assume this thing is everywhere at this stage.

So people with very bad/dangerous symptoms shouldn't get tested!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The government should put in place supports for private sector WORKERS. You can be sure that the ordinary hospitality worker whose hours vary depending on demand isn’t going to be paid by the vast vast majority of pubs and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Don't want to flog a dead horse but...

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

flights.png

Give it a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement