Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

apparently Italian Paediatric hospitals are clearing out as kids aren't catching the normal things that would have them end up there, probably less sports related stuff too. school closure seem to be a no brainer

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Semantics or whatever way you want to coin it. The what was going to happen isn't relevant to anyone in that situation now. It's the what is happening that is more important. And they are not getting the service they paid for due to health concerns. And rightly so health should be put first. People are going to feel like they have lost money because they don't get to avail of what they paid for and could probably do with the money now given the uncertainty ahead. You say losing out on a holiday. It's not like people all won holidays on a radio show that they don't get to go on. People had money go out of their account and won't get what they paid for in return. So most people will see if as a loss regardless of correct terminology.

Sh*t happens build a bridge and get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Anybody else out last night? Pubs were absolutely throbbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Any case for italy being no longer in exponential growth phase after 3 days of stagnant growth or is the time scale too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Anyone else mentally replacing the planes with the image of the virus

no, just wondering is that to scale :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Scotty # wrote: »
    No shortage of flights over Europe at the minute, or to the US.

flights.png

Going to look very different in a few days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Look forget about tests just assume this thing is everywhere at this stage.

I think testing is needed for epidemiological reasons. Going forward we need numbers so we can have good research. It helps now for us to know re past pandemics, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Drumpot wrote: »
    When you consider what’s been going on in Syria and other genocides or ethnic clensings that have happened over the last 30 years , it really does show how USA centric we think.

It was a seismic event , just as much for USAs unfortunate response as anything else.

I’m not getting involved in an ideological back and forth here. And I certainly do not approve of America’s cack handed response to 9/11.
    Just pointing out the historical significance of that event. The poster was wrong to downplay it.
    It did occur in a peaceful period in a relatively peaceful country that’s why it stands out.

When you think about it an average of 80,000 plus people were being slaughtered every day during world war 2. And there are only certain dates from that war that are really remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

is the polish bread much better?

Anything's better than Brennans play-dough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

We heard, yeh lots of selfish bollixes around.

If I was Taoiseach I would make sure they were shot with a ball of their own Guinness infused ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I wonder what the anit vaxxers think of all that is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I hope the pubs close down soon, also flights need to be restricted. We’re lucky to be an island , we can contain this easier than other counties. I know it will be a financial hit but .. health before wealth!

Our health system isn’t strong enough for this. We need to minimise the amount of people getting this virus all at once or else the health care workers will be put into terrible scenarios and making difficult choices like in Italy.

If our hospitals are over run with cases from the virus, it leaves less beds and healthcare workers to deal with people who are coming in with ailments such as appendix , heart attacks , strokes etc.

I hope the government takes action before it’s not too late.

The island part would only be of benefit before thevirus got here. It’s too late, completely irrelevant now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

So people with very bad/dangerous symptoms shouldn't get tested!!!:confused:

I did not say that.

I mean don't let positive test numbers guide your judgement.

Our official number is 90 the reality is we have no idea of the true number best to say in if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

niallo27 wrote: »
    Any case for italy being no longer in exponential growth phase after 3 days of stagnant growth or is the time scale too small.

Two days of stagnant growth.

March 11 had 600 cases that should have been included the previous day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

If I was Taoiseach I would make sure they were shot with a ball of their own Guinness infused ****e.
    Haha
    :) novel viruses require novel punishments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So school children can't meet for fear of passing on the virus, yet the pubs are throbbing with adults (who can also pass on the virus) :cool:

Don't forget, as Nicola Sturgeon was saying, the kids will still meet up, in a less formal way, hence they won't be made to wash/ sanitize their hands ..... as they would do in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

Pinters gotta pint

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yet, post #1588

This is no good without an actual link for people on mobile.

So school children can't meet for fear of passing on the virus, yet the pubs are throbbing with adults (who will also pass on the virus) :cool:

Don't forget, as Nicola Sturgeon was saying, the kids will still meet up anyway, in a less formal way, hence they won't be made to wash/ sanitize their hands ..... as they would do in school.

I know I didn't be we should ignore the troll:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Guy whinging in the New York Times that he has no place to sell the hand sanitiser he amassed and was selling at inflated price on Amazon now that they have cracked down on it. :rolleyes: Meanwhile, these items can’t be found in shops.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html#click=https://t.co/4YBemz56ua
    On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”

Matt Colvin stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Mr. Colvin said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.” To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic.

The next day, Amazon pulled his items and thousands of other listings for sanitizer, wipes and face masks. The company suspended some of the sellers behind the listings and warned many others that if they kept running up prices, they’d lose their accounts. EBay soon followed with even stricter measures, prohibiting any U.S. sales of masks or sanitizer.
    Now, while millions of people across the country search in vain for hand sanitizer to protect themselves from the spread of the coronavirus, Mr. Colvin is sitting on 17,700 bottles of the stuff with little idea where to sell them.

“It’s been a huge amount of whiplash,” he said. “From being in a situation where what I’ve got coming and going could potentially put my family in a really good place financially to ‘What the heck am I going to do with all of this?’

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Lads, has anyone been to Lidl/Aldi this morning?, what is the situation, need a few things, but don't fancy waiting in lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Scotty # wrote: »
    No shortage of flights over Europe at the minute, or to the US.

flights.png

How dare you...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

You might think things are bad here but in Italy it's far worse - from the guardian

Italians sing patriotic songs from their balconies during coronavirus lockdown

Neighbours from Naples to Tuscany make harmonies across empty streets to lift spirits and pass the time during quarantine

Oh boy....

I think that’s amazing compared to the screaming in wuhan. I feel so sorry for Italy no matter what they are suffering and dying, and there seems to be nothing we can do to help them.

Iran - 1,365 new cases and 97 new deaths today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Lads, has anyone been to Lidl/Aldi this morning?, what is the situation, need a few things, but don't fancy waiting in lines.

Seems to be varying from town to town.

But I’ve ears way, way more people say local and smaller shops are well stocked and significantly less busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,615 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Where are you based?

Gynoid wrote: »
    I think testing is needed for epidemiological reasons. Going forward we need numbers so we can have good research. It helps now for us to know re past pandemics, doesn't it?

Likely they will test a sample of the population for the antibodies when we are over this.

Will give an accurate picture of numbers infected and actual death rate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Send one of the servants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement