Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The patterns of panic buying are weird. In my Centra yesterday, all the Irish sliced pans were gone but the Polish ones were piled high. They’re a bit more expensive but if you want bread, they’re exactly the same. But they weren’t being bought, except by moi.

Ha, was the same in my local Spar during the “big snow”. They had shelves of it. Polish bread made in Balbriggan.

Just goes to show, no matter what the “crisis” the morons stay the same.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Where are you based?

Shankill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

The government should put in place supports for private sector WORKERS. You can be sure that the ordinary hospitality worker whose hours vary depending on demand isn’t going to be paid by the vast vast majority of pubs and restaurants.

The government support of €305 will in many cases equate to their wages ,it is inevitable that the economy will halt but without proper measures prior to that there will be nothing left after .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭amacca

Guy whinging in the New York Times that he has no place to sell the hand sanitiser he amassed and was selling at inflated price on Amazon now that they have cracked down on it. :rolleyes: Meanwhile, these items can’t be found in shops.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html#click=https://t.co/4YBemz56ua

Some people are despicable cnuts

I wouldn't feel too bad if a guy like that was imprisoned for a very long time..his family shouldn't suffer but there should be some way to make him pay with community service, give him the correct PPE, draft him into a cleaning crew and make him do it or else a portion of his wages will be deducted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

leavingirl wrote: »
    I'm just making the point that there are conflicting stories. The Guardian is a toilet paper of record buddy.

You are the one who posted a Guardian article to back up your point that Sky News was lying. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You might think things are bad here but in Italy it's far worse - from the guardian

Italians sing patriotic songs from their balconies during coronavirus lockdown

Neighbours from Naples to Tuscany make harmonies across empty streets to lift spirits and pass the time during quarantine

Oh boy....

Imagine similar here.

'ole ole ole'

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

sadie1502 wrote: »
    But if all pharma are instructed to produce surly they could manufacture a lot more. I did read Roche created some of these tablets. We had Roche here now closed.

Biopharmaceutical facilities are a very specific type of plant. Most drug factories synthasize their drugs using chemical reactions. Biopharma involves cell cultures, scaling up from small flasks through multiple phases into bigger and bigger bioreactors, and then downstream purification to get a protein that usually needs to be administered via an injection or infusion.

they can scale up but it takes time as these are extremely sensitive processes and any change in manufacturing processes or technology needs to go through validation and must guarantee that the end product is identical to the approved proein.

These kinds of treatments are not without their own risks due to the complexity and fragility of the proteins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The government support of €305 will in many cases equate to their wages ,it is inevitable that the economy will halt but without proper measures prior to that there will be nothing left after .

That's sick pay for those who have to quarantine. Your average hospitality, leisure, entertainment etc employee will be on dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Seems to be varying from town to town.

But I’ve ears way, way more people say local and smaller shops are well stocked and significantly less busy.
    My husband was there early to get bread milk nothing mad.
    Aldi kylemore road
    Big queue people still going mad he literally grabbed couple of things and straight to counter but still madness with people filling trollies with pasta loo roll.
    Local pharmacy have decent hand sanitizer for 4 euro popped in at 1030 (open 10) they had 8 boxes this morning and down to last one.
    One per customer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Nibs05 wrote: »

No mention of either condition.
    I thought previous evidence showed no transfer.
    Hopefully baby is fine despite positive.
    Hope mother fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

It seems like a disproportionate amount of high-profile people have the virus relative to regular people. In truth they just get tested much more frequently whereas a normal person might not get themselves tested for mild symptoms.

This makes me think random sampling is the way to go - why aren't we doing random sampling - ie. test 1000 people on the island of Ireland right now at random, with or without symptoms ?

I think it is even more important that the UK do this since their strategy is much more dependent on getting that infection number right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Imagine similar here.

'ole ole ole'

Shush! Don't be giving them ideas ! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Balmed Out wrote: »
    That's sick pay for those who have to quarantine. Your average hospitality, leisure, entertainment etc employee will be on dole.

Would be good if they would do the same for people laid off because of this. Would be expensive but borrowing is cheap for the government now.

Keep anyone long term on the dole on the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Balmed Out wrote: »

The criteria to qualify are low and going forward most will but I agree that unemployment will rocket .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All calm on the continent.

ETA5QIyX0AQVljg?format=jpg&name=medium

zmk2x.jpg

ESnA_MzXsAEadOw?format=jpg&name=medium

ETBGE2OWAAIX2XE?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

34kr6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rocko

Who knows what the government have planned next to stop the spread of Coronavirus but what about doing the following?

If they are going to keep shops, restaurants, cafes, pubs etc open I would make them inforce rules like you have to where possible stay at least 1 metre away from the nearest person.
    So restaurants, cafes, pubs would have to remove alot of tables & chairs and rearrange the seating plan.

The owners would have to police this by telling the customers of the rules at all times.

This would be inforced by regular spot checks from the Garda & Army people walking around towns into shops / pubs etc and calling to rural shops / pubs to advise and eventually enforce the 1 metre rule.

And if the premises owner continued to break the 1 metre rule then there would have to be a penalty like closing the premises until they agreed to inforce the rules.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anybody else out last night? Pubs were absolutely throbbing.

Dublin City Centre definitely wasn't as busy as your normal Friday night, much much quieter in terms of footfall in general.

Some of the pubs were still busy but with most of the big clubs closed people had less of a choice of where to go.

A lot of places were restricting entry too, only letting a hundred or so in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Nibs05 wrote: »

That's a frightening development. Most of the advice re pregnancy and Covid so far had been cautiously optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Just been in Lidl Santry / Tesco Omni, restocked with most items, bread, milk, chicken.

Still a few ignorant lads driving quickly around car parks. Calm your t*ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rocko wrote: »
    Who knows what the government have planned next to stop the spread of Coronavirus but what about doing the following?

If they are going to keep shops, restaurants, cafes, pubs etc open I would make them inforce rules like you have to where possible stay at least 1 metre away from the nearest person.
    So restaurants, cafes, pubs would have to remove alot of tables & chairs and rearrange the seating plan.

The owners would have to police this by telling the customers of the rules at all times.

This would be inforced by regular spot checks from the Garda & Army people walking around towns into shops / pubs etc and calling to rural shops / pubs to advise and eventually enforce the 1 metre rule.

And if the premises owner continued to break the 1 metre rule then there would have to be a penalty like closing the premises until they agreed to inforce the rules.
    A tonne of restaurants are already doing the one meter thing between tables and limits on people.
    Sprezzatura, rascal brewery, Koh tonne more.
    I agree it needs to be enforced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,506 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Being serious the pubs should already be closed.

1000%, or at least only open during the day for food with seating spread. Closing at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's a frightening development. Most of the advice re pregnancy and Covid so far had been cautiously optimistic.

Hopefully the baby (and mam) will be just fine. Awfully traumatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The baby tested positive but as far as I can see the baby is not sick . He probably picked it up from his mum or in the birth canal .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It seems like a disproportionate amount of high-profile people have the virus relative to regular people. In truth they just get tested much more frequently whereas a normal person might not get themselves tested for mild symptoms.

My head is getting progressively wrecked with the gong out the worst in me.

But the fact so, so many footballers are coming out as positive actually is making me feel better.

I know it might not make sense, but if it’s that wide spread, then it calms me down a little. I don’t believe there’s only a few hundred cases in the UK, for instance, but it just happens to hit a load of players. I don’t believe there’s a few hundred in Canada, but just happens to hit the PM and his wife. I don’t believe Tom Hanks is one of only 150 odd in Australia (numbers probably increased since).

It’s simply that, as you said, these are people in a better position to test themselves even with minimal symptoms.

I’m trying to take solace in the fact that it’s probably massively widespread but is so mild for so many people as to barely register.

I’ve a cough yesterday and a bit of a tickle throat, and am winding myself up with worry over it. When the reality is the odds of it hitting me to a hospitalization level are RELATIVELY low. I do have to take precautions because of being in a vulnerable family group.

But given how many celebrities have it, I actually find comfort in the fact it’s probably been around for a lot longer than we realized.

My head is fried, I know writing it down I’m not conveying it well...

Edit. This isn’t to say we should relax restrictions. I do think flights need to be shut down for two weeks to a month, etc. just, from a mental health POv, I need to relax a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Dublin City Centre definitely wasn't as busy as your normal Friday night, much much quieter in terms of footfall in general.

Some of the pubs were still busy but with most of the big clubs closed people had less of a choice of where to go.

A lot of places were restricting entry too, only letting a hundred or so in.

Interesting. I found the pubs I went to very busy, but the late bars had less in them alright. Less people in McDonalds too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Imagine similar here.

'ole ole ole'

Joe.ie headline;

"Best quarantined community in the world".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I don't know if it's fair to say that. A lot of people suffer from mental health conditions and some social contact is really important. I'm in London at the minute and the government have not stopped large gatherings, never mind told people to avoid pubs and restaurants or going out of the house.

I have been terrified since the entire thing started, as an OCD sufferer. I went to a very quiet pub yesterday afternoon and sat outside it (just me and my friend) well away from other people, sanitised hands and washed them as soon as I got home, and I think that will be the last social contact I have for a long time now. I was supposed to go to a friend's wedding this weekend, but she's scaled it right back and there will no longer be guests or dinner. She's just doing the formal stuff and then will have a party at another time.

Just trying to work out how not to go crazy stuck inside for days on end. Have organised a few video chats with friends, downloaded Duolingo, ordered some baking stuff to make some cakes and pies. So worried and concerned for everyone I know.

I’m sorry to hear this and I do appreciate the trouble people have with their MH, have some in my family who need minding at this time.

For the majority of people however it’s a choice they’re making rather than making the effort to deal with these unprecedented times. Not for all but for most to be honest if we get our heads down and think about how to deal with our MH at this time, we can get on with it. People with conditions or deeper underlying issues I do appreciate it’s tougher. But this is make or break, life or death stuff also and we need to adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,506 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Just been in Lidl Santry / Tesco Omni, restocked with most items, bread, milk, chicken.

Still a few ignorant lads driving quickly around car parks. Calm your t*ts.

Cheers, was just hopping in the car to head to Omni good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Shops will be grand by Monday. Only so much crap people can buy. They’ll have bought themselves out by Monday or Tuesday. It’s laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I buy Polish bread all the time.

Compare the ingredients of your Brennan's sliced pan with Polish bread.

Will do. Polish bread is nice. I admit that I don’t usually buy it though because it’s more expensive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement