Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The government support of €305 will in many cases equate to their wages ,it is inevitable that the economy will halt but without proper measures prior to that there will be nothing left after .

My understanding is that is only available to those who are self isolating on medical advice and for a max of 14 days (unless you are infected).
    Those whose workplaces close and are not paid by employers will have to claim jobseekers and I don't think they have increased that.
    IF there is a lockdown it's very unclear what will happen to people's incomes.
    You could have a situation where those who can work from home are fine, those who work in certain sectors are fine (grocery retail for example), but workers in other sectors will suffer a sharp cut in income - plus have to go through the whole sign on rigmarole.

Government simply have to put in place measures to protect people's income/ allow for ways to postpone big expenditure or there will be many people who can't pay mortgages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My head is getting progressively wrecked with the gong out the worst in me.

But the fact so, so many footballers are coming out as positive actually is making me feel better.

I know it might not make sense, but if it’s that wide spread, then it calms me down a little. I don’t believe there’s only a few hundred cases in the UK, for instance, but it just happens to hit a load of players. I don’t believe there’s a few hundred in Canada, but just happens to hit the PM and his wife. I don’t believe Tom Hanks is one of only 150 odd in Australia (numbers probably increased since).

It’s simply that, as you said, these are people in a better position to test themselves even with minimal symptoms.

I’m trying to take solace in the fact that it’s probably massively widespread but is so mild for so many people as to barely register.

I’ve a cough yesterday and a bit of a tickle throat, and am winding myself up with worry over it. When the reality is the odds of it hitting me to a hospitalization level are RELATIVELY low. I do have to take precautions because of being in a vulnerable family group.

But given how many celebrities have it, I actually find comfort in the fact it’s probably been around for a lot longer than we realized.

My head is fried, I know writing it down I’m not conveying it well...

I know what you are saying man and it makes sense, we would actually be better off if thousands had it already and built up whatever immunity is possible against it. I said it before about the footballers it just doesnt make sense so many have it when many of them live quiet an isolated life away from the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Not sure, if this was mentioned here (this thread is going to fast to read all), but it was an article in Lancet published 3 days ago. I can't attach link (I am a newbie), but google: Lancet and 191 patients, so you will have it.

To summarise it: the most important contributor to the death is blood clothing.
    From this article: " About 90% of inpatients with pneumonia had increased coagulation activity, marked by increased d-dimer concentrations.25 In this study, we found d-dimer greater than 1 μg/mL is associated with fatal outcome of COVID-19. High levels of d-dimer have a reported association with 28-day mortality in patients with infection or sepsis identified in the emergency department.26 Contributory mechanisms include systemic pro-inflammatory cytokine responses that are mediators of atherosclerosis directly contributing to plaque rupture through local inflammation, induction of procoagulant factors, and haemodynamic changes, which predispose to ischaemia and thrombosis".

So maybe thinning the blood would help to avoid serious outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

But the fact so, so many footballers are coming out as positive actually is making me feel better.

I know it might not make sense, but if it’s that wide spread, then it calms me down a little. I don’t believe there’s only a few hundred cases in the UK, for instance, but it just happens to hit a load of players. I don’t believe there’s a few hundred in Canada, but just happens to hit the PM and his wife. I don’t believe Tom Hanks is one of only 150 odd in Australia (numbers probably increased since).

It’s simply that, as you said, these are people in a better position to test themselves even with minimal symptoms.

I’m trying to take solace in the fact that it’s probably massively widespread but is so mild for so many people as to barely register.

I’ve a cough yesterday and a bit of a tickle throat, and am winding myself up with worry over it. When the reality is the odds of it hitting me to a hospitalization level are RELATIVELY low. I do have to take precautions because of being in a vulnerable family group.

But given how many celebrities have it, I actually find comfort in the fact it’s probably been around for a lot longer than we realized.

Edit. This isn’t to say we should relax restrictions. I do think flights need to be shut down for two weeks to a month, etc. just, from a mental health POv, I need to relax a bit.

What you are saying maybe only partly true.

The deaths in Italy and Spain are crazy this is new.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Akrasia wrote: »
    The Guardian is one of the most highly respected newspapers on the English speaking world. Can I ask which newspaper you think is better?

None of them! They are all presstitudes. I haven't heard one valid question from any of the so called journalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Lads, has anyone been to Lidl/Aldi this morning?, what is the situation, need a few things, but don't fancy waiting in lines.
    I was in Dunnes cornalscourt at 9 . Ques normal and the shop was well stocked .In and out with no panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I work in food production. We are absolutely mental busy as you can imagine at the minute. I've never seen anything like it, its Christmas x 5.

There is no shortage at all, supermarkets will get their deliveries people just need to not hoard and everything will be fine. There's work all weekend and most likely paddy's day too to meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The baby tested positive but as far as I can see the baby is not sick . He probably picked it up from his mum or in the birth canal .

It has a long incubation period. Which means you’d have the virus (and this test +ive) days before you get sick. Could be 7-14 days.
    The newborn won’t gave a well developed immune system. Could be a prolific case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

niallo27 wrote: »
    I know what you are saying man and it makes sense, we would actually be better off if thousands had it already and built up whatever immunity is possible against it. I said it before about the footballers it just doesnt make sense so many have it when many of them live quiet an isolated life away from the general public.

Yeah, exactly.

To hit footballers, and en such numbers, and not just in one league but in many, it has to have been massively spreading for weeks.

I fully appreciate how contagious it is, and how quickly it spreads, but to spread that far, and that wide, to such people is crazy. It would have had to be circulating for weeks, and will have spread through the staff, coaches, down to their families, kids, etc.

It’s either way more widespread than has been tested, or it’s even more contagious that being let on.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Edit. This isn’t to say we should relax restrictions. I do think flights need to be shut down for two weeks to a month, etc. just, from a mental health POv, I need to relax a bit.

What is sickening me is that, anybody with even the most basic understanding of statistics has already arrived at this conclusion, and yet, nobody in the media is outright saying this?

It seems like the narrative in Ireland is still that only about 100/200 people have it? I don't want to speculate on what the actual number might be for fear it would be interpreted as scaremongering, but I think it is at least significant enough to demonstrate that we are in an entirely different phase of the virus that the national agenda is proposing.

Would love to see one politician or person in the media around this mention random sampling...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My understanding is that is only available to those who are self isolating on medical advice and for a max of 14 days (unless you are infected).
    Those whose workplaces close and are not paid by employers will have to claim jobseekers and I don't think they have increased that.
    IF there is a lockdown it's very unclear what will happen to people's incomes.
    You could have a situation where those who can work from home are fine, those who work in certain sectors are fine (grocery retail for example), but workers in other sectors will suffer a sharp cut in income - plus have to go through the whole sign on rigmarole.

Government simply have to put in place measures to protect people's income/ allow for ways to postpone big expenditure or there will be many people who can't pay mortgages etc.

Some banks have said they can suspend mortgage/loan payments if you contact them. Don't have the link to hand but will be online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Drumpot wrote: »
    flatten-the-curve-smaller.gif?fit=670%2C565&ssl=1

A good visual graph highlighting why it’s important to slow the spread. Quite simply, it reduces deaths. UK are taking a massive gamble that may underestimate the spread and that leads to more people dieing , which will be compounded further by a healthcare system that’s over run. That wouldn’t just kill corona patients who need critical care but anybody else who has any other condition that needs critical care.

Urgent operations are beginning to be cancelled in the UK now. So this strategy that the UK has adopted could condemn sufferers of other health problems to death now too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/13/operations-reportedly-scrapped-nhs-gears-coronavirus-fight/

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Balmed Out wrote: »
    That's sick pay for those who have to quarantine. Your average hospitality, leisure, entertainment etc employee will be on dole.

Trying to think, somewhat morbidly about the types of jobs that would increase.

Obviously healthcare, crematoriums, undertakers, graveyard workers.
    Delivery workers will still be needed in essential sectors.

Medical suppliers.
    Manufacturers of oxygen generators.

Online education.

Not sure if the guards and army would recruit immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

was in Aldi in Royal Canal Park, most people had the smaller trollies and were doing "top up" runs it looked like, most people were in good spirits too, that Irish mirth.

Well stocked shelves, pasta and bog roll in good supply, meat shelves, fresh fruit and veg.

I had a short list and got everything I needed

• Registered Users Posts: 30,615 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Summer Love Island may be cancelled!(You can view that what ever way you want).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Boggles wrote: »
    It got serious for me when Tom Hanks got infected.

I mean fúck me, Tom Hanks like.

It should also bother you that Toms missus is called Wilson :eek:

*above info was lifted from someone elses post, cnat remember where

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What you are saying maybe only partly true.

The deaths in Italy and Spain are crazy this is new.

Maybe they’re outliers. Look at Germany,

I honestly believe it’s been in Ireland since January...maybe even around Christmas. I think in a week or two, we will realize that measures while needed to be taken were in haste and things will continue

Mr.S wrote: »
    Godspeed.

I do think the panic buying will ease in the coming days when people realise the stock levels aren’t going to be effected. I get people not wanting to go out / shopping, but just do a weekly shop or something vs stocking for 1 month!

Also, people will start using their stocks now, meaning they won’t have as much need to shop this week coming, making the shops significantly less busy, thus easing supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    I work in food production. We are absolutely mental busy as you can imagine at the minute. I've never seen anything like it, its Christmas x 5.

There is no shortage at all, supermarkets will get their deliveries people just need to not hoard and everything will be fine. There's work all weekend and most likely paddy's day too to meet demand.

What's the long term outlook if you mind me asking, do you import most of your stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Will do. Polish bread is nice. I admit that I don’t usually buy it though because it’s more expensive.

Polish bread usually has a sourdough base, which gives it that distinctive taste, and often there is some rye in it. It is supposed to be better for digesting and more nutritious. I think it is very nice.

Was funny yesterday to see what had been panic bought. Mostly convenience foods. People don't like cooking, I think. The lad I chatted with in the shop who works there says it will take a couple of weeks for the supply lines to really catch up, as the panic buying was beyond expectation. The check out lady said it had been like Christmas Eve every day for a week. The workers generally were really weary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hopefully the panic buying will stop now.....I'm sure those with 200 toilet rolls in probably think they have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I honestly believe it’s been in Ireland since January...maybe even around Christmas. I think in a week or two, we will realize that measures while needed to be taken were in haste and things will continue

I suspect we will be on lockdown until May at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It seems like a disproportionate amount of high-profile people have the virus relative to regular people. In truth they just get tested much more frequently whereas a normal person might not get themselves tested for mild symptoms.
    Get themselves tested? This isn't diabetes! You can't just 'get yourself tested'.

The reason 'high profile' people are more susceptible is because they interact with more strangers each day than most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Drumpot wrote: »
    Playing devil’s advocate, we have taken significant measures already to limit the spread. If we all accept that this is going to keep spreading (ie it really dang be stopped, only slowed) , then not shutting down everything actually sort of makes sense. Some people are being responsible, some are not, the ones still going to pubs and being idiots are prob the ones who will get infected first. Maybe in a weird way we can let the idiots infect each other and let them be our guinea pigs while we relax at home? We can also learn a lot from their complacency on how bad this is and how likely it will end up for us.

I thought they would shut down pubs etc soon but maybe they will let that be used to herd those who can’t live without a few drinks, into the natural immune section.

Yeah, I get the argument in theory, but even with a hardcore 'lockdown', people will still move around, and the virus will still spread (I imagine). I think the idea is that a general shutdown will severely limit the spread, allowing the frontline staff to deal with it (without a general collapse of the hospital system).

Maybe the government are taking a slightly staggered approach to closing down things (maybe that was what they were doing from the beginning, but I'm not sure they knew what they were doing until the last few days).

Trying to think, somewhat morbidly about the types of jobs that would increase.

Online toy sellers :pac:

Just had an order in from Denmark last night, after they announced the shut down. Never sold anything to Denmark before.

But if kids are off, and shops are shut, parents will be turning to us to keep their kids amused :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

JoChervil wrote: »
    Not sure, if this was mentioned here (this thread is going to fast to read all), but it was an article in Lancet published 3 days ago. I can't attach link (I am a newbie), but google: Lancet and 191 patients, so you will have it.

To summarise it: the most important contributor to the death is blood clothing.
    From this article: " About 90% of inpatients with pneumonia had increased coagulation activity, marked by increased d-dimer concentrations.25 In this study, we found d-dimer greater than 1 μg/mL is associated with fatal outcome of COVID-19. High levels of d-dimer have a reported association with 28-day mortality in patients with infection or sepsis identified in the emergency department.26 Contributory mechanisms include systemic pro-inflammatory cytokine responses that are mediators of atherosclerosis directly contributing to plaque rupture through local inflammation, induction of procoagulant factors, and haemodynamic changes, which predispose to ischaemia and thrombosis".

So maybe thinning the blood would help to avoid serious outcome?

There was talk that the Germans have a low death rate because of the ICU machines they have that can recirculate the blood after being purified. Can't remember where I saw/heard it. Will try to get a link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Just been in Lidl Santry / Tesco Omni, restocked with most items, bread, milk, chicken.

Still a few ignorant lads driving quickly around car parks. Calm your t*ts.

Thanks. I've avoided shops so far.

Are they generally back to normal trading?

I have Have enough freezer stuff etc but can wait another few days if it means avoiding the madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

he'll be president one day that lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Urgent operations are beginning to be cancelled in the UK now. So this strategy that the UK has adopted could condemn sufferers of other health problems to death now too.

The UK Tory strategy is nothing but a blatant cull of the old and sick if you ask me. I hope it does not turn out that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

measures taken in haste are better than measure taken too late

I hope in six months people are pissing and moaning about the measures being too much "back then" (ie now) because that means this turned out not as bad as it could have, and that will be a brilliant situation to be in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement