Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Mr.S wrote: »
    Godspeed.

I do think the panic buying will ease in the coming days when people realise the stock levels aren’t going to be effected. I get people not wanting to go out / shopping, but just do a weekly shop or something vs stocking for 1 month!
    Is that true though? I've literally just received an email from Tesco that my online order due monday, will likely be missing items.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Scotty # wrote: »
    Get themselves tested? This isn't diabetes! You can't just 'get yourself tested'.

The reason 'high profile' people are more susceptible is because they interact with more strangers each day than most people.

How so. Most high profile people are locked away in their mansions most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Ive been saying for days that i believe there are thousands of cases already undiagnosed.

Takes a few footballers to get it for people to realise though.

Wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

People really have a chip on their shoulder about the pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Anyone know when numbers for Spain are released? Expect a massive increase there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

What is sickening me is that, anybody with even the most basic understanding of statistics has already arrived at this conclusion, and yet, nobody in the media is outright saying this?

It seems like the narrative in Ireland is still that only about 100/200 people have it? I don't want to speculate on what the actual number might be for fear it would be interpreted as scaremongering, but I think it is at least significant enough to demonstrate that we are in an entirely different phase of the virus that the national agenda is proposing.

Would love to see one politician or person in the media around this mention random sampling...

This is precisely right. In Iran, when they had supposedly a few dozen cases, the health minister just happened to catch it. The sheer number of high profile cases tells you that this thing is way more widespread than we think - logic tells you this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

There was talk that the Germans have a low death rate because of the ICU machines they have that can recirculate the blood after being purified. Can't remember where I saw/heard it. Will try to get a link

You don't need machine to thin the blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

measures taken in haste are better than measure taken too late

I hope in six months people are pissing and moaning about the measures being too much "back then" (ie now) because that means this turned out not as bad as it could have, and that will be a brilliant situation to be in

Oh absolutely agree. But I actually think we will realize they didn’t need to be made. I think currently Ireland’s approach is fine. Countries like Czech and Bulgaria and Belgium have gone into pretty much complete lockdowns,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Damien360

NIMAN wrote: »
    Hopefully the panic buying will stop now.....I'm sure those with 200 toilet rolls in probably think they have enough.

Not sure if it’s all panic buying or lack of stock. In Aldi Kildare this morning and the shelves were very poorly stocked so we left and went to Tesco Kildare this morning and there was plenty of stock. Aldi Kildare Is usually our main store and before this crisis, Saturday was always a poor day to go there with regard to stock of vegetables and bread particularly. Queue outside Aldi on opening at 9am, then mad rush. Tesco had normal levels of people but crucially more staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

People really have a chip on their shoulder about the pubs

Have you just woken from a coma and don't realise what is actually happening?

Only way you could have logically posted that.

• Advertisement

Ive been saying for days that i believe there are thousands of cases already undiagnosed.

Takes a few footballers to get it for people to realise though.

Wake up.

Well expand on it, do you think this is a good or bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

niallo27 wrote: »
    How so. Most high profile people are locked away in their mansions most of the time.
    Footballers, politicians, 'celebs', etc interact with more strangers per day than Joe Public. Signing autographs, shaking hands, taking selfies, etc, etc. This is why they have been exposed more. NOT because they are tested more as someone pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There was talk that the Germans have a low death rate because of the ICU machines they have that can recirculate the blood after being purified. Can't remember where I saw/heard it. Will try to get a link

I heard that as well. Don't know was it on RTE1 Claire Byrne Show or one of the Newstalk programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Damien360 wrote: »
    Not sure if it’s all panic buying or lack of stock. In Aldi Kildare this morning and the shelves were very poorly stocked so we left and went to Tesco Kildare this morning and there was plenty of stock. Aldi Kildare Is usually our main store and before this crisis, Saturday was always a poor day to go there with regard to stock of vegetables and bread particularly. Queue outside Aldi on opening at 9am, then mad rush. Tesco had normal levels of people but crucially more staff.

they don't have the staff numbers to keep restocking at the rate stuff was being bought

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Hah, we did the same and most other families as well. Massive order on Amazon for educational kids stuff, some toys etc.
    Last night I saw parents splashing out €400 on a PS4 and loads of games for their kid who didn't seem too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I've watched and read enough science fiction stories to realise what scientists need to be concentrating on to save humanity....

...a human/coronavirus hybrid hero who will unite our two cultures together in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ECMO machines . The Germans have far more ECMO machines than most other EU countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Lord TSC wrote: »

I’ve a cough yesterday and a bit of a tickle throat, and am winding myself up with worry over it. When the reality is the odds of it hitting me to a hospitalization level are RELATIVELY low. I do have to take precautions because of being in a vulnerable family group.

I'm the same! For me, though, I know I'm just paying more attention to any potential symptoms than I would be if there was no COVID19. If it wasn't for the virus, I probably wouldn't even notice the symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Damien360 wrote: »

The hoarders all seem to be targetting the cheap stuff, my local super valu has no own brand rice or pasta but the only uncle bens gone is one on special offer , loads of roma pasta left.

Toilet paper and chicken are the only things i cant find. Frozen pizzas all sold out completely anywhere

JoChervil wrote: »
    You don't need machine to thin the blood.

I wasn't talking about thinning the blood specifically. I was talking about the Germans having plenty of machines that purify the blood and why they are having a much lower death rate than anywhere else in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Some banks have said they can suspend mortgage/loan payments if you contact them. Don't have the link to hand but will be online.

Some banks isn't good enough tbh.

In the case of a Govt. imposed lockdown - which I do think will happen down the line, it's a question of when not if - we are looking at a situation where those who are lucky enough to be able to work from home/and essential sector are grand and can continue to pay their bills as usual.

But those whose income is suddenly reduced to dole levels will be dependent on whether or not their bank of one of those 'some' banks and then will have to go cap in hand.

What happens to the people whose mortgage isn't with one of those banks?

And what about those who rent?
    Are we going to see evictions because people were unfortunate enough not to work in an 'essential' sector or for an employer who can facilitate WFH?

Financially a hell of a lot of people could be thrown to the wolves unless measures are put in place by government to cushion them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Hah, we did the same and most other families as well. Massive order on Amazon for educational kids stuff, some toys etc.

Lots of online stuff available from your local library if you're a member. Books, audiobooks, magazines, all that sort of stuff and not just for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I wasn't talking about thinning the blood specifically. I was talking about the Germans having plenty of machines that purify the blood and why they are having a much lower death rate than anywhere else in Europe

Yes, I know, but you posted it quoting my post about blood clothing in 90% of pneumonia patients...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭pgj2015

just on the buying items for kids on amazon, try to buy in store in ireland if you can, these businesses need your help now more than ever, what is amazon going to ever do for people in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

niallo27 wrote: »
    What's the long term outlook if you mind me asking, do you import most of your stock.

No. I work in the poultry sector so everything is grown within Ireland.

YFlyer wrote: »
    I heard that as well. Don't know was it on RTE1 Claire Byrne Show or one of the Newstalk programs.

Probably on Newstalk then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Last night I saw parents splashing out €400 on a PS4 and loads of games for their kid who didn't seem too bothered.

Doesn't sound like he has much of a choice :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anyone know when numbers for Spain are released? Expect a massive increase there.

Final figures for day around 8 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Well, the next scarce items will be those assembled in China. Electronics etc, we will start to see the effect of that very soon if not already.

Mind your modems carefully now!!

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    Footballers, politicians, 'celebs', etc interact with more strangers per day than Joe Public. Signing autographs, shaking hands, taking selfies, etc, etc. This is why they have been exposed more. NOT because they are tested more as someone pointed out.

So you think a footballer who plays one game a week interacts more with the public than lets say retail staff up and down the country. In England how many thousand of the public have been tested compared to each and every of the thousand or so footballers has been tested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement