Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Anyone know when numbers for Spain are released? Expect a massive increase there.

Throughout the day usually, already had 521 new cases and 3 deaths at 12pm so I too think its gonna be a rough day there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

pgj2015 wrote: »
    just on the buying items for kids on amazon, try to buy in store in ireland if you can, these businesses need your help now more than ever, what is amazon going to ever do for people in this country?

Employ thousands, as it does now. But by all means by Irish if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Mr.S wrote: »
    To each their own I guess, but I’d be looking at anything to keep kids occupied if they are expected to be stay indoors!

They don't need to stay indoors. Go out as a family unit/on own but don't get close to anyone outside your group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The UK Tory strategy is nothing but a blatant cull of the old and sick if you ask me. I hope it does not turn out that way.

Johnston and Cummings did hire “misfits and weirdos” as advisers.

I suppose it is hardly surprising that right wing sociopathic and psychopathic thinking seems to be guiding their response to this pandemic.

It’s very hard not to fall foul of Godwin’s Law or mention some kind of Aktion T4 by planned neglect, when describing this British government solo run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

niallo27 wrote: »
    So you think a footballer who plays one game a week interacts more with the public than lets say retail staff up and down the country. In England how many thousand of the public have been tested compared to each and every of the thousand or so footballers has been tested.
    Have you any idea how many meet & greets a professional footballer does per week? How many autographs they sign (where they're kindly handed the pen!), how many people they hug for a selfie... ?? Any idea? Several hundred would be a start. Fans before and after every training session, every game. Publicity events, sponsor events, promotions? Serving someone across a til in a shop is much different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

Worth a watch, may have already been posted but hard to keep up with this thread. Interview with Dr Paddy Mallon of Infectious diseases.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1CsAeuFAPy4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭dan786

There are now 60 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Wales - an increase of 22 in the last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭paul71

NIMAN wrote: »
    Hopefully the panic buying will stop now.....I'm sure those with 200 toilet rolls in probably think they have enough.

Yeah they will be sitting looking at their massive stockpiles in a couple of weeks thinking "I have only 1 arsehole"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Have the idiots not figured it out yet ? Was at my local supervalu earlier. No issue with stock. The loo roll panic is hilarious. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

walshb wrote: »
    Are they only releasing the new daily infected numbers at the end of each day?

ROI still at 90..

6pm each day. Numbers are as-of midday that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,506 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Scotty # wrote: »
    Footballers, politicians, 'celebs', etc interact with more strangers per day than Joe Public. Signing autographs, shaking hands, taking selfies, etc, etc. This is why they have been exposed more. NOT because they are tested more as someone pointed out.

Absolutely, a footballer arrives for training, at the clubs center of excellence ... AON complex, Kirby, wherever...

Teammates/Squad-mates ..25

Staff/coaches/management ..60

Under age / reserve teams .. 40

That’s a guesstimate, on the conservative side but in a reasonable small space 125 people, daily.

Then there is potential for interactions with fans, charities etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So we have 1 or maybe 2 dead.

That’s a long long long way off the predicted 80,000 dead.

What am I missing here ?

Brain cells, you’re missing brain cells. This is far from being over. The total is a prediction for overall deaths from this virus not just the first two weeks.

This isn’t going away anytime soon. We will still be in some phase of control/mitigation in 6 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The bog roll is a funny one. Felt like a spare buying it last night, usually buy the smallest packs ever, one at a time even, like one roll at a time. Not even joking. But just decided to get caught up in the frenzy and buy a huge pack. Won’t need to buy it until summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

just on the buying items for kids on amazon, try to buy in store in ireland if you can, these businesses need your help now more than ever, what is amazon going to ever do for people in this country?

I tried to do that yesterday.
    My 85 year old mother asked me to order a trilogy on-line for her to occupy herself since she can't go out and the weather is too bad for her to garden.
    Looked on Amazon - €50.
    Looked on Eason - €60.

For someone on the old age pension that tenner makes a big difference. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Strumms wrote: »
    Absolutely, a footballer arrives for training, at the clubs center of excellence ... AON complex, Kirby, wherever...

Teammates/Squad-mates ..25

Staff/coaches/management ..60

Under age / reserve teams .. 40

That’s a guesstimate, on the conservative side but in a reasonable small space 125 people, daily.

Then there is potential for interactions with fans, charities etc...

I think it is more so that footballers are way more highly mobile that the average person eg flying back home to Spain, Portugal or wherever for a day or two between training.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Throughout the day usually, already had 521 new cases and 3 deaths at 12pm so I too think its gonna be a rough day there

More specifically 12:30 Madrid time. Though local regions do regional figures before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Mr.S wrote: »
    To each their own I guess, but I’d be looking at anything to keep kids occupied if they are expected to be stay indoors!

Some internet related activities for the day that's in it, to keep kids occupied :

Pretend to be an air traffic controller - open Flight Radar 24 to monitor aircraft worldwide. Open Live ATC .net and search for DUB to hear planes contact Dublin airport.

Listen to the world's last pirate radio ship - Radio Caroline is live from their historic radio ship MV Ross Revenge, for this weekend. Visit radiocaroline.co.uk and click on the listen to Manx Radio button, or say 'Alexa, play Manx Radio A.M.'

Visit the NASA webite and knock yourself out with the history, or watch NASA TV live for a daily link with the International Space Station.

Lots to keep them busy with... apart from facebook, snapchat etc.. lift their horizons.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

They employ thousands in Cork and Dublin for a start and have invested hundreds of million investing in new sites as of yet unopen which will create further jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Simdruid

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I tried to do that yesterday.
    My 85 year old mother asked me to order a trilogy on-line for her to occupy herself since she can't go out and the weather is too bad for her to garden.
    Looked on Amazon - €50.
    Looked on Eason - €60.

For someone on the old age pension that tenner makes a big difference. :o

The UK doesn't have VAT on books, but we do here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I know the HSE and doctors are saying if you have symptoms self isolate. At what stage do you seek medical help for yourself or a loved one ?
    At any stage you feel you need it, like any illness. Spiking temp, shortness of breath, breathing difficulties. I'm not a medic that's just my opinion.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Thanks for that, the number is completely inaccessible though.
    It’s kinda funny that the HSE announce new criteria for testing on a Friday afternoon just before any way to access that testing closed for an extra long weekend
    We’re in an unprecedented crisis that is time sensitive, my wife has all of the symptoms on the HSEs criteria for testing and we’re in a high risk location and it’s still unlikely she’ll have access to a test until Wednesday next week.
    If someone has symptoms but is well enough to rest at home and recover then why would they need to be tested.

I'm thinking out loud here, not necessarily directed at you.

A) A person has mild symptoms, gets tested, negative result, isolate and rest at home.
    B) A person has mild symptoms, gets tested, positive result, isolate and rest at home.

If you don't need hospitalisation the outcome is the same regardless of a test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Scotty # wrote: »
    Have you any idea how many meet & greets a professional footballer does per week? How many autographs they sign (where they're kindly handed the pen!), how many people they hug for a selfie... ?? Any idea? Several hundred would be a start. Fans before and after every training session, every game. Publicity events, sponsor events, promotions? Serving someone across a til in a shop is much different.

I think you have an idea of a footballer that is not the reality. The majority of them dont give a ****. I work in a company of 1600, do you realise how many meetings I have, how many different people I interact with, how many things I sign with random pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Where are the horror stories coming out of ICUs in Spain? Why did we have a week of doctors in Italy popping up on social media spreading harrowing tales from the frontline, and now in Spain, no such tales.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

givyjoe wrote: »
    Employ thousands, as it does now. But by all means by Irish if you can.

Absolutely,

I am an Amazon seller, and I don’t think people realize how Amazon largely works.

I’m not employed by Amazon, but pay crazy fees to use Amazons platforms. When you buy “off Amazon”, chances are it’s off some version of me. A small business using the platform. A large majority of stuff on Amazon nowadays is sourced and sold by third parties, under the amazon platform.

That attitude of “don’t buy off Amazon, buy local” is somewhat admirable but will see a lot of businesses go bust too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People really have a chip on their shoulder about the pubs

The thread last night seemed to consist of a load of internet-loners giving out about a CCTV camera in Temple Bar showing people out enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Where are the horror stories coming out of ICUs in Spain? Why did we have a week of doctors in Italy popping up on social media spreading harrowing tales from the frontline, and now in Spain, no such tales.

Because they're not at the same point yet.

Tis all a conspiracy is it. The whole world is in a panic for nothing?

They employ thousands in Cork and Dublin for a start and have invested hundreds of million investing in new sites as of yet unopen which will create further jobs.
    While this is true, people should always endeavor to buy Irish. €3 out of every €4 spent online is spent OUTSIDE Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

leavingirl wrote: »
    None of them! They are all presstitudes. I haven't heard one valid question from any of the so called journalists.

What a surprise. Can you tell me where you do get your news from so?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Portugal

57 new cases this morning. 169 cases there now.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think you have an idea of a footballer that is not the reality. The majority of them dont give a ****. I work in a company of 1600, do you realise how many meetings I have, how many different people I interact with, how many things I sign with random pens.
    And the majority of them don't have coronavirus. What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

If you have been following what happened in China and Italy, you will know that this is only a matter of time. Someone doesn’t just go from catching the virus to ICU over night. Italian doctors talked about the calm before the storm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement