Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Mr.S wrote: »
    Production has already gone back to near normal in China. The worry is Europe.

Do we know that for sure or is it just Chinese propaganda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

amber2 wrote: »
    Worth a watch, may have already been posted but hard to keep up with this thread. Interview with Dr Paddy Mallon of Infectious diseases.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1CsAeuFAPy4

Excellent video, realistic and full of common sense. As shown on here with the pintmen, common sense is actually not that common.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Where are the horror stories coming out of ICUs in Spain? Why did we have a week of doctors in Italy popping up on social media spreading harrowing tales from the frontline, and now in Spain, no such tales.

Why don't you google Spanish cases and find out? Or search Spanish tweets? Read Spanish media?

We are way beyond the point of focusing on tales from one region.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Absolutely,

I am an Amazon seller, and I don’t think people realize how Amazon largely works.

I’m not employed by Amazon, but pay crazy fees to use Amazons platforms. When you buy “off Amazon”, chances are it’s off some version of me. A small business using the platform. A large majority of stuff on Amazon nowadays is sourced and sold by third parties, under the amazon platform.

That attitude of “don’t buy off Amazon, buy local” is somewhat admirable but will see a lot of businesses go bust too.

Give us a plug here, I know you banned me a few times but I'd still like to support small businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think you have an idea of a footballer that is not the reality. The majority of them dont give a ****. I work in a company of 1600, do you realise how many meetings I have, how many different people I interact with, how many things I sign with random pens.

Lad seems to be one of these footballers are superheroes sorts. Everyone has interactions with hundreds of people directly or indirectly everyday. Footballers are so sheltered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Can feel the intitial panic dying down and people worrying less.

Hope we called it at the right time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

niallo27 wrote: »
    Give us a plug here, I know you banned me a few times but I'd still like to support small businesses.

No point, I don’t have my Amazon page set up to sell to Irish currently due to Amazon charging higher fees to do so, but I appreciate the sentiment :p

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Scotty # wrote: »
    Footballers, politicians, 'celebs', etc interact with more strangers per day than Joe Public. Signing autographs, shaking hands, taking selfies, etc, etc. This is why they have been exposed more. NOT because they are tested more as someone pointed out.

For starters that theory is very much debatable. Sure, they shake more hands. They also don't frequent mass gatherings, go to pubs, offices, schools etc. in any way similar to the way regular folks do. They are fairly isolated in that sense.

Even if we assume it is correct, the numbers still don't add up.

In the UK for cases, we have:
    6 footballers
    ~600 regulars

If we thought they were equally likely to get it we would say that this implies
    1 in every 100 people in the UK was a professional footballer in the premier league. Definitely not true.

There are 511 professional footballers in the premier league. The UK population is 66 million.

So in truth, 1 in every ~130,000 people are a professional footballer in the premier league...

For your theory to be true, footballers would need to be 1300x more likely to catch the virus than a regular. It's just a ridiculous theory to stand by, I'm sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Does anyone know which EU states have closed schools/banned public gatherings and which ones haven’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Spain 5753 infected / 136 death
    35% rise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Spain 5753 infected / 136 death
    36% rise

Jesus.

That is my concern. Are we actually tackling this, or just delaying the inevitable.

What happens in two weeks when the schools go back, or do we delay it another two weeks and another.

There is a lot of scare mongering about herd immunity, but how else will the actual cause of this be addressed, or do we just hide in our homes hoping some clever scientist comes up with a cure?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Just scaremongering and gossip at this stage, and begrudgery of people out enjoying themselves in the pub and going on holiday. people have to live their lives, it's all been blown out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Do we know that for sure or is it just Chinese propaganda?

It’s somewhere in between.

There is some independently confirmed information that economic activity has restarted (foreign shipping companies have confirmed their ships are taking stuff out of China again).

And there are also confirmed cases of factories whereby machines are turned on to consume electricity and pretend they are running, but with no workers inside (it isn’t necessarily propaganda as such but more a mismatch between objectives given by local party leaders and what can be actually achieved, forcing people on the ground to play a show ... a classic issue in communist countries :-)).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

For starters that theory is very much debatable. Sure, they shake more hands. They also don't frequent mass gatherings,
    I stopped reading at this point.

Wait a few weeks until things really get bad. It will be a very different story then. National lockdown needs to be implemented and enforced urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Aegir wrote: »
    That is my concern. Are we actually tackling this, or just delaying the inevitable.

What happens in two weeks when the schools go back, or do we delay it another two weeks and another.

There is a lot of scare mongering about herd immunity, but how else will the actual cause of this be addressed, or do we just hide in our homes hoping some clever scientist comes up with a cure?

Schools are done for the year in my mind. There's no logic to sending them back if theyve successfully helped stagnate the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭paul71

Just scaremongering and gossip at this stage, and begrudgery of people out enjoying themselves in the pub and going on holiday. people have to live their lives, it's all been blown out of proportion.

Do you have any family aged over 70?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

pgj2015 wrote: »
    just on the buying items for kids on amazon, try to buy in store in ireland if you can, these businesses need your help now more than ever, what is amazon going to ever do for people in this country?

Let me get this right your encouraging people to go out to shops rather than buy on line I’m all for shopping local but now is not the time to encourage it

Wait a few weeks and see if you still think the same way then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Simdruid wrote: »
    The UK doesn't have VAT on books, but we do here.

Amazon did a deal if you bought all 3 together, Eason didn't. That was the difference in cost tbh.

She normally buys all her books in Eason - and she is a voracious reader - so if the difference had been maybe a fiver she would have gone for it.
    But even then with Amazon she'll have the books on Monday - with Eason it would have been Thur/Fri at the earliest.
    She wasn't happy about it but costing a tenner more and taking days longer to arrive...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

It seems like a disproportionate amount of high-profile people have the virus relative to regular people. In truth they just get tested much more frequently whereas a normal person might not get themselves tested for mild symptoms.

This makes me think random sampling is the way to go - why aren't we doing random sampling - ie. test 1000 people on the island of Ireland right now at random, with or without symptoms ?

I think it is even more important that the UK do this since their strategy is much more dependent on getting that infection number right.

Because that would be a waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Better to have staggered panic. When the hospitals start filling up there will prob be a second wave of panic. Certainly when death rates go up people will start to get their sh^t together.

Regardless of what barstool numpties think, a significant portion of the population are being a lot more careful. This on its own is helping us slow the spread. It’s not unusual for certain sections of society to be more responsible then others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Simdruid wrote: »
    The UK doesn't have VAT on books, but we do here.

We don't have VAT on books here either (at least, not on physical books, ebooks are a different matter, as far as I know but I think that's the same for the UK too).

The reason for the price discrepancy is the size of Amazon and the essentially zero tax it pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Your life will be there to live in a few months for god sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Reminder to self: ignore button eliminates 100% of posts that deny reality. Much more useful threads thereafter.

Scotty # wrote: »
    I stopped reading at this point.

I'll take that as you acknowledging you were off the mark on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Schools are done for the year in my mind. There's no logic to sending them back if theyve successfully helped stagnate the spread of the virus.

I’m sure they are discussing the possibility and considering plans for possibly going in during the summer. Will be interesting to see. I think someone mentioned Singapore hadn’t closed schools and they seem to be managing well. I’m going to use this time to start teaching my kids some music and reading some more books, maybe some new arts and crafts to combat boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Let me get this right your encouraging people to go out to shops rather than buy on line I’m all for shopping local but now is not the time to encourage it

Shopping local does not necessarily mean shopping in the flesh. A lot of local businesses have an online facility and many deliver for free.

• Advertisement

Because that would be a waste of resources.

I certainly don't see it as any more wasteful than testing 100% of people that claim symptoms. You are going to get plenty of negatives there too, but you can't interpret anything from the rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement