Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Urquell wrote: »
    What's going on in Spain exactly that it's spreading so drastically?

Is this what we can look forward to seeing across the pond?

They are just ahead of us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

frillyleaf wrote: »
    They are just ahead of us
    It’s mostly Madrid I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Just scaremongering and gossip at this stage, and begrudgery of people out enjoying themselves in the pub and going on holiday. people have to live their lives, it's all been blown out of proportion.

This is the kind of **** that is really bugging me at the minute. **** heads like you have had your day, it is now time to take drastic action to control this. If it all blows over you can all have a big 'I told you so' and you can all look smug and feel smarter than the rest of us. But just in case you are wrong can you please shut up and play along for the next few weeks until we see where this thing goes.

I take all of the above back if you can demonstrate a sound understanding of disease prevention and control, emergency / disaster management or some other level of sound knowledge / experience about the current situation. If not then you are just another dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Spain to decide on action today
    The Spanish government is meeting this morning to decide what urgent measures to take under the state of emergency that was announced yesterday and will be declared later today.

The emergency powers, set out in article 116 of the constitution, allow the government to limit the movement of people and vehicles in specified places, to temporarily requisition goods, to take over factories and businesses, to ration the consumption of basic items, and to issue the necessary orders to ensure the provision of services.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how are healthcare workers still getting sick are they not taking precautions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Just scaremongering and gossip at this stage, and begrudgery of people out enjoying themselves in the pub and going on holiday. people have to live their lives, it's all been blown out of proportion.

Are there still people like you out there? i thought the penny had dropped my now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Italy sent help to china 3 months ago with medical staff, now, china is sending over 30 tons of medical supples with over 1000 respiratory units and a some their most experienced doctors!!

Thats the only way to fight the virus, together!! All together - especially on our beautiful Island. We will be okay x

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

80 new cases in Estonia, now 109 cases.

It is the 35th country in the world to reach 100 cases.

Phillippines, Romania,Indonesia, Egypt, lebanon and ireland are all now very close to their 100th case also.

Some worrying new cases today:
    1 new case in Malta: a young woman who traveled to Brussels
    2 new cases in Kazakhstan: a man who had flown from Moscow, Russia and a woman who had flown from Warsaw, Poland
    1 new case in Morocco: a 64-year-old French citizen, who arrived March 2 from France
    1 new death in the Philippines: a 54-year-old Filipino male with no known travel history abroad. He was admitted to the hospital on March 3, more than a week after exhibiting symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I think this virus is more infectious than they are led to believe

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Yes they are..... it just shows how serious the problem is. Proximity to infected persons is a huge risk, weather you are in a hospital treatment room..... or a packed pub.

Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Reminder to self: ignore button eliminates 100% of posts that deny reality. Much more useful threads thereafter.

Create your very own echo-chamber folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

closing schools, canceling big events/sport events is all good but afaik air traffic is still available for anyone who wants to travel. why's that? closing schools/big events doesn't bring anything if people can still fly in from anywhere to everywhere, spreading this virus perfectly. mind boggling. they still gamble. they still can't bring themselves to stop this economy 'booster', the air industry.

say about the chinese government whatever you want, yes they are dictator bast**ds, but they were not stupid in this case and made the right (drastic) decisions in shutting everything down very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I hope you don't handle sharp objects like knives and scissors without help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Worst thing to is become complacent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Because there is no 100% protection to it if you are surrounded by it 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

wakka12 wrote: »
    80 new cases in Estonia, now 109 cases.

It is the 35th country in the world to reach 100 cases.

Phillippines, Romania,Indonesia, Egypt, lebanon and ireland are all now very close to their 100th case also.

Confirmed cases.

If I could, if wager there is at least 1000 cases here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Reminder to self: ignore button eliminates 100% of posts that deny reality. Much more useful threads thereafter.

Denying reality is a really common response so I wouldn’t be too harsh on individuals. People react in different ways. Some people are diagnosed with a terminal illness and will just deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

They are taking precautions, but once in the ward with the infected, they generally stay in that area especially if there's limited face masks and stuff to protect them. So they can't just throw on a new mask every 15 minutes. They're working seriously long shifts, getting tired and will make mistakes with their own protection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

tara73 wrote: »
    closing schools, canceling big events/sport events is all good but afaik air traffic is still available for anyone who wants to travel. why's that? closing schools/big events doesn't bring anything if people can still fly in from anywhere to everywhere, spreading this virus perfectly. mind boggling. they still gamble. they still can't bring themselves to stop this economy 'booster', the air industry.

say about the chinese government whatever you want, yes they are dictator bast**ds, but they were not stupid in this case and made the right (drastic) decisions in shutting everything down very quickly.

I tend to agree. We might do all we can to reduce spread and every flight landing could start the infection trail off again. I don't understand why we are not locked down.... no matter how much they try to explain it to me.

We are continuing to import cases while urging people already here to take the situation seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I'm skeptical but its a more complicated response than a lot online are saying.

https://twitter.com/whippletom/status/1238395606202306561

https://twitter.com/iandonald_psych/status/1238518371651649538
    Their is no simple solution and this is not going away.

Time will tell if the scientists who Boris is deferring to got it right.

That is an excellent synopsis of the nuance surrounding the UK response - thanks for sharing. I can see the thinking behind it and hope that it isn't a worst case outcome but it does seem riskier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Johnston and Cummings did hire “misfits and weirdos” as advisers.

I suppose it is hardly surprising that right wing sociopathic and psychopathic thinking seems to be guiding their response to this pandemic.

It’s very hard not to fall foul of Godwin’s Law or mention some kind of Aktion T4 by planned neglect, when describing this British government solo run.

Britain has had detailed plans for dealing with pandemics that predate the current Tory government by over 10 years, and also the scientific advice is not political, it would have been given to a Labour or SNP government.

But if you have evidence to the contrary please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Where are the horror stories coming out of ICUs in Spain? Why did we have a week of doctors in Italy popping up on social media spreading harrowing tales from the frontline, and now in Spain, no such tales.

Are you going to just keep asking that same question all day? It must be more than 5 times at this stage.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I tend to agree. We might do all we can to reduce spread and every flight landing could start the infection trail off again. I don't understand why we are not locked down.... no matter how much they try to explain it to me.

We are continuing to import cases while urging people already here to take the situation seriously.

Within a few days it will happen I’d say. Once other European countries start to shut down borders, we will too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 14 March 2020

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-03-14.png?itok=evudgvBW

Smaller rise in Europe today, but trend is still upwards at over 6,000 cases today.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

tara73 wrote: »

The chinese goverment been exactly that stupid is reason it's a world wide pandemic now. They acted to late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/marty-makary-on-coronavirus-in-the-us-183558545.html
    John Hopkins Professor estimates that up to half a million Americans have coronavirus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

revelman wrote: »
    Denying reality is a really common response so I wouldn’t be too harsh on individuals. People react in different ways. Some people are diagnosed with a terminal illness and will just deny it.

Would be great if we could just ridicule them and ignore their actions.

Unfortunately their ignorance could be responsible for causing a spread that ends up killing a loved one of mine so hard to not attack that ignorance.

That is an excellent synopsis of the nuance surrounding the UK response - thanks for sharing. I can see the thinking behind it and hope that it isn't a worst case outcome but it does seem riskier.

The problem with it is that it is a theoretical approach. Something can make lots of sense in the abstract or in a scholarly article but sometimes you have to react differently on the ground, particularly if there are a lot of unkowns about the virus in question. I think our approach is much better than the UK’s

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭conor05

I don’t think there will be a national lockdown here unless workers wages are still paid in full.

People cannot afford to lose out on 2-3 weeks wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Smaller rise in Europe today, but trend is still upwards at over 6,000 cases today.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

:-(

Erm, that's so far today.

Most countries report their results through the day rather than at one presser.

Italy at 5 pm and Spain at 8 pm are the big ones to watch today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement