Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 14 March 2020

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-03-14.png?itok=evudgvBW

Smaller rise in Europe today, but trend is still upwards at over 6,000 cases today.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

:-(

Most European countries havnt released their figures for today, Ireland Netherlands Uk Sweden France.
    Germany and Spain release figures throughout the day, updating at least 3 times daily

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Aegir wrote: »
    That is my concern. Are we actually tackling this, or just delaying the inevitable.

What happens in two weeks when the schools go back, or do we delay it another two weeks and another.

There is a lot of scare mongering about herd immunity, but how else will the actual cause of this be addressed, or do we just hide in our homes hoping some clever scientist comes up with a cure?

Schools won't be going back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

tara73 wrote: »
    closing schools, canceling big events/sport events is all good but afaik air traffic is still available for anyone who wants to travel. why's that? closing schools/big events doesn't bring anything if people can still fly in from anywhere to everywhere, spreading this virus perfectly. mind boggling. they still gamble. they still can't bring themselves to stop this economy 'booster', the air industry.

say about the chinese government whatever you want, yes they are dictator bast**ds, but they were not stupid in this case and made the right (drastic) decisions in shutting everything down very quickly.

The airline industry really has many countries caught by the balls.

They are the ones transporting this virus in metal tubes at 500 mph around the world and it is terrifying that nothing can be done to stop them.

Entire countries have to suffer so these few companies do not tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

They employ thousands in Cork and Dublin for a start and have invested hundreds of million investing in new sites as of yet unopen which will create further jobs.

Their entire worldwide network (which is very substantial) is run out of Ireland for 8 hours of every day (the other 16 hours being managed by Japan and Seattle).

They do employ a lot of people in Ireland (though admittedly not on the retail warehouse part of their business).

But I agree with the sentiment, lets support local too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

Just heard of a wedding going ahead today in a Kerry town and told by the venue to keep your mouth shut, well over the 100 limit. This is what we are up against.

Edit : don’t know the venue but a couple attending the wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Handbag sneezing...about to become a thing :)

https://twitter.com/GylesB1/status/1238373601637736453?s=20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

conor05 wrote: »
    I don’t think there will be a national lockdown here unless workers wages are still paid in full.

People cannot afford to lose out on 2-3 weeks wages.

Do you think it's different in other countries or something :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

conor05 wrote: »
    I don’t think there will be a national lockdown here unless workers wages are still paid in full.
    People cannot afford to lose out on 2-3 weeks wages.

The price to pay for not stopping the spread is to have people dying in their homes, it's happening in Italy at the moment and it's very traumatizing. You don't go to work everyday with a corpse laying in your house waiting to be collected

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

revelman wrote: »
    The problem with it is that it is a theoretical approach. Something can make lots of sense in the abstract or in a scholarly article but sometimes you have to react differently on the ground, particularly if there are a lot of unkowns about the virus in question. I think our approach is much better than the UK’s
    and the UK's response of "herd immunity" is predicated on the idea of a closed system. Problem is it's not. People and infected people will keep arriving and leaving the UK.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wibbs wrote: »
    and the UK's response of "herd immunity" is predicated on the idea of a closed system. Problem is it's not. People and infected people will keep arriving and leaving the UK.

Also undermines what every other country in Europe is doing and that's going to piss them off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

20silkcut wrote: »

They are the ones transporting this virus in metal tubes at 500 mph around the world and it is terrifying that nothing can be done to stop them.

It happened in the USA after 9/11 didn`t it if only for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I hope people are remembering to sanitise their phones regularly and remote controls too. They’re essentially an extension of our hands and they need regular cleaning too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Whats the chances of a recession and how bad will it be ?

Heard a lot of people were laid off off yesterday in dublin city centre in food and bar industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

amber2 wrote: »
    Just heard of a wedding going ahead today in a Kerry town and told by the venue to keep your mouth shut well over the 100 limit.

What is it about Kerry people when it comes to rules and regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Good video explaining why we need to stagger the spread (flatten the curve) from a medical perspective.

Also that virus can last on some surfaces up to 3 days. Virus might spread up to 4.5 meters. His comments on the aerosol transmission I think suggests the virus can hang around a bit after an infected person leaves.

Lastly “it is important to engage in social distancing now so that those who will need Medical assistance Can get it”. Some people in here do not appear to be able to get this.

Also undermines what every other country in Europe is doing and that's going to piss them off.

After all the **** over Brexit I`d say the rest of Europe is well used to being pissed off by the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

20silkcut wrote: »

Total nonsense.:rolleyes:

The average Cruising Speed speed is about 583 mph.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

You're not understanding herd immunity then.

It means there are far less available nodes in the network which can be used to create infection paths from a new case to a person that doesn't have immunity.

So if a new case arrives, it can only pose a threat to the minority if one of this minority comes within 1st degree contact with it, far less likely with decent herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Luxembourg and Finland only testing severe cases now too

ricero wrote: »

Heard a lot of people were laid off off yesterday in dublin city centre in food and bar industry.

Guaranteed to happen at this stage. Just a question of how bad it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

That 'herd immunity' idea sounds crazy to me.
    They don't even know how quickly this virus will mutate and how those mutations translate into mortality rate.
    It's not science based and is ideological, coming from laissez faire.

This guy linked above mentions that they expect the summer to slow the virus and buy time.
    https://twitter.com/whippletom/status/1238395606202306561

Well, the weather is fantastic in Spain and the virus is out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

They're seriously miscalculations.

They think the death rate is around 1%.
    It's way higher when your health system is overloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

amber2 wrote: »
    Just heard of a wedding going ahead today in a Kerry town and told by the venue to keep your mouth shut well over the 100 limit.

Name and shame

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

"You have to let people live their lives" which roughly translates as "you have to let people carry on as normal leading a disorganised life of convenience which mustn't be interrupted or reorganised in any way because me me me and I want that holiday, that meal i have every week, that pub night I have several times a week, because holidays, pubs and restaurants will not exist in a few months time. By the way, me me me"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Seamai wrote: »
    What is it about Kerry people when it comes to rules and regulations?

The Healy Rae's said its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

wakka12 wrote: »
    Most European countries havnt released their figures for today, Ireland Netherlands Uk Sweden France.
    Germany and Spain release figures throughout the day, updating at least 3 times daily

I realize that but in order to compare the days with one another, a particular time must be chosen. The rest of today's figures from various countries will be included tomorrow.

The ECDC record the figures as known 08.00 am every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

steer wrote: »
    Local priest put sanitizer in the church.
    All stolen

Stealing from the church. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Quote: amber2

I find this totally unfair. We have had to have a very restricted funeral for our family member to adhere to these limits. The limit did say under 100 but some places like in our case won’t allow more than 50.
    We are abiding by this.

We hope to have a gathering later on (Whenever this virus is clearing off) where everybody can attend with no limits on numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

fr336 wrote: »
    "You have to let people live their lives" which roughly translates as "you have to let people carry on as normal leading a disorganised life of convenience which mustn't be interrupted or reorganised in any way because me me me and I want that holiday, that meal i have every week, that pub night I have several times a week, because holidays, pubs and restaurants will not exist in a few months time. By the way, me me me"

“Generational genocide is a better alternative than not being able to go to the pub for a month”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

ricero wrote: »

Recession is fairly certain. It will be bad enough in the short term. It will be mitigated by people self-imposing austerity measures as well as the sad fact that the virus will kill a lot the old and the poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement