Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Are new cases in Ireland due to be released at the usual time today?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

BluePlanet wrote: »
    That 'herd immunity' idea sounds crazy to me.
    They don't even know how quickly this virus will mutate and how those mutations translate into mortality rate.
    It's not science based and is ideological, coming from laissez faire.

This guy linked above mentions that they expect the summer to slow the virus and buy time.
    https://twitter.com/whippletom/status/1238395606202306561

Well, the weather is fantastic in Spain and the virus is out of control.

Its around 17 or 18 degrees and due to get colder. It's pretty miserable for madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

To protect themselves from highly contagious diseases doctors wore protective hoods like the plague mask from our permanent exhibition. The face was completely covered by a cotton velvet mask and the wearer breathed through two small holes in the ‘beak’, which held herbs or sponges soaked in vinegar. These were believed to filter the air and repel disease. Glass lenses covered the eyes to ward off the patient’s gaze, in case the illness spread by eye-contact. The plague mask was coated with a layer of wax on the inside and came with a cloak-like leather costume to cover the entire body, forming a protective suit comparable to those used today in the isolation wards of modern hospitals.
    https://www.dhm.de/blog/2017/07/27/beaky-plague-protection/

ETEf0DIUUAIq0bL?format=jpg&name=small

Vinegar apparently does kill viruses, so would be an alternative hand sanitiser. Pity I LOATHE the smell of vinegar!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Serious question. Does anyone suspect that there might be a cluster in Cork? I think it telling that Ireland’s first drive through testing centre was set up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭embraer170

amber2 wrote: »
    Just heard of a wedding going ahead today in a Kerry town and told by the venue to keep your mouth shut, well over the 100 limit. This is what we are up against.

Edit : don’t know the venue but a couple attending the wedding.

People should name and shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its around 17 or 18 degrees and due to get colder. It's pretty miserable for madrid.
    I'm in Spain.
    I have all my windows open, the sun is streaming in.
    Temperature on the pharmacy sign in my sight says 22.
    Been walking around in sandals and tshirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

fr336 wrote: »
    "You have to let people live their lives" which roughly translates as "you have to let people carry on as normal leading a disorganised life of convenience which mustn't be interrupted or reorganised in any way because me me me and I want that holiday, that meal i have every week, that pub night I have several times a week, because holidays, pubs and restaurants will not exist in a few months time. By the way, me me me"

No coincidence that the only one at work who was going for pints last night was not the most intelligent, selfish and rough as nails.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ricero wrote: »
    Whats the chances of a recession and how bad will it be ?

Heard a lot of people were laid off off yesterday in dublin city centre in food and bar industry.

Guaranteed recession. I don't know how bad because things need to die down first which could be months. A vaccine could be a year away. We're in this for the next year or two, maybe longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Not sure whether to go into work today, yesterday we had a member of staff with clear symptoms, coughing non stop, no attempt was made to send him home, everyone was visibly uncomfortable but because of the nature of our job and the culture of the office along with a lot of people still not taking things seriously no one spoke out, I feel like it's a gamble to go in today but I don't know if I can afford to lose this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭amacca

You're not understanding herd immunity then.

It means there are far less available nodes in the network which can be used to create infection paths from a new case to a person that doesn't have immunity.

So if a new case arrives, it can only pose a threat to the minority if one of this minority comes within 1st degree contact with it, far less likely with decent herd immunity.

I think he is understanding it quite well...........but I stand to be corrected

also if its not closed, new mutations can be imported....the thing gets going, nodes wont matter then to those only immune to first weaker strain.......

Subsequent waves of Spanish flu caused the most deaths

Not trying to slow the spread to prevent overload of health service has to be a bad idea. Time will tell .....I know theres a hell of a lot I dont know but I absolutely dont trust those zealots over there for a second

• Advertisement

I'm in Spain.
    I have all my windows open, the sun is streaming in.
    Temperature on the pharmacy sign in my sight says 22.
    Been walking around in sandals and tshirt.

Are you in Madrid where its worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Guaranteed recession. I don't know how bad because things need to die down first which could be months. A vaccine could be a year away. We're in this for the next year or two, maybe longer.

Guaranteed recession and in this for a year or two.

Il remember this

Are you in Madrid where its worst.

no Costa Blanca

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

In Estonia, as a poster previously pointed out, they jumped up by 80 confirmed cases today to 109. The main source so far was a birthday party attended by approx 80 people at a place called Voru (I've been there) 1 person had it unknowingly and 1 by 1, all those others are being confirmed. All of the parties attendees went their separate ways infecting others and so on. All the shops in Voru are shut with the place on lockdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

revelman wrote: »
    Serious question. Does anyone suspect that there might be a cluster in Cork? I think it telling that Ireland’s first drive through testing centre was set up there.

Where's y drive through centre?

Whats going to happen with the HSE’s home care system for the elderly where carers come in for about 45 mins in the morning to provide washing assistance etc? How is it going to continue with the risk of carers bring infection in? Is there a plan B?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Scotty # wrote: »
    While this is true, people should always endeavor to buy Irish. €3 out of every €4 spent online is spent OUTSIDE Ireland.

Maybe if the Irish weren't such a shower of gouging bastards we would. We have to bulk buy dairy free formula for our baby and it's miles cheaper to buy on Amazon from an English seller than ANYWHERE in Ireland online or in stores. I have found this the same with many other items I buy too.

no Costa Blanca

What's it like down there, are all the bars still open. I need a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

fr336 wrote: »
    "You have to let people live their lives" which roughly translates as "you have to let people carry on as normal leading a disorganised life of convenience which mustn't be interrupted or reorganised in any way because me me me and I want that holiday, that meal i have every week, that pub night I have several times a week, because holidays, pubs and restaurants will not exist in a few months time. By the way, me me me"

Exactly

This is like a world war situation, with an invisible enemy.

It will take a real lockdown for it so sink into those peoples heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

I'd say there's a load of clusters in Cork..we already probably have thousands of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Lord TSC wrote: »
    “Generational genocide is a better alternative than not being able to go to the pub for a month”.

The UK is running in to a post brexit pensions crisis.... this is a convenient end for them

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

After all the **** over Brexit I`d say the rest of Europe is well used to being pissed off by the UK.

Wait for it, a few months from now Britain launches Brentry - 'We've decided that The EU is great again.'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

how are healthcare workers still getting sick are they not taking precautions?

They are taking precautions, but the infectiousness of this seems understated. The level of protection being employed is likely insufficient, due to a lack of resources. I'm guessing that full positive pressure suits are probably called for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

If you're going to troll you should really pick a more subtle name.

Could be the Johnny English version of a Russian bot. Doesn't seem to be the brightest.

What's it like down there, are all the bars still open. I need a holiday.
    Yes they are.
    Small shops are only allowing a single person enter at a time, so people are queuing on the footpath. This is for shops like little pharmacies or butchers that kind of thing.

Supermarkets are busy, meat and toilet roll seems to be the first things that sell out, but i wandered in today at about 11:30 and there was plenty of meat available.

Noticed that the kids playgrounds and other areas where a lot of people congregate are closed off with police tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

It did say that the south has the most amount of cases. Didn’t specify Cork exactly just the South.
    But I would think that there is a cluster in cork.

Where do you live? Only asking for a friend.

Underground bunkers are hard to find - that is point of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Whats going to happen with the HSE’s home care system for the elderly where carers come in for about 45 mins in the morning to provide washing assistance etc? How is it going to continue with the risk of carers bring infection in? Is there a plan B?
    I was in that position of having their help for a few years and the same thoughts had occurred to me. I'm somewhat selfishly glad I'm not still in that position. It must be a terrible strain to be a carer now, nearly always a carer of someone whose health is very compromised.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From Guardian live blog

Germany is urging people returning from Italy, Switzerland and Austria to self-isolate for up to two weeks, in an attempt to slow the spread of coronavirus

Maybe it is time for Germany to stop urging and start acting?

The cult of open borders no matter what is aiding the contagion all across the continent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement