Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Where are the horror stories coming out of ICUs in Spain?

That’s about the 7th time you’ve asked this exact question ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

joe40 wrote: »
    Much as this pains me to say I think the British approach has some merit. I can't stand Johnson or the Tories but this is coming from their chief medical officer and his colleagues.
    Our approach is also temporary. A shut down cannot be permanent, and this virus is not going away. We will have to function as a society while simultaneously deal with covid 19.
    A vaccine is also a long way off.
    Ultimately though my opinion means nothing I will follow the advice of scientist in this country. My feeling is we need to either do full shutdown for a few weeks pubs clubs etc not just school to slow it down. But I also feel there is no stopping it.

If we can slow it down the health service here has some hope of dealing with the serious cases as they arise. the UK are saying old people will die at home in their beds with no medical attention. They are thinking there will be less impact to their economy with their strategy. The rest of Europe are their main trading partners though .... We can switch to herd immunity strategy later they can't switch to ours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The reality is nearly all the deaths have been from people that were already sick or very old and probably would have died even from normal flu

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Countries are making decisions in their own national interest.

Borders are being closed. Slovakia, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland and Malta have closed their borders.

We need to do the same across the EU.

Yeah - still guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

The growth in Ireland seems fairly linear, now Spain is a major problem, the 2nd Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I wish people would stop having useless pops at each other on here.

I’m here with a knot in my chest since this all kicked off. Fearing that either I or my husband will start coughing in the next few days. I can’t visit my parents, my children are devastated and starting to get bored. Our local playground has a lock on it. This is all so new and so very shocking.

And yet when Italians are singing to each other to keep their spirits up there’s people in here trying to out arsehole each other.

Give it a rest ffs. Please.

I know its worrying but if your husband or yourself have no underlying issues then ye should be ok,the hardest part will be trying to keep your mental health right with being isolated for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You do realise that if you get the virus 80 % of people won’t be seriously ill, so how is the world going to shut down? Stop watching movies is my advice.

And over 99% of able working people wont be seriously ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

So, if 50% of our population gets this virus (conservative estimate - it could be as high as 80%)... with a 1% case mortality rate, this is roughly 24,000 deaths from this thing!

If the UK gets the same numbers, that will be 330,000 deaths!

It appears the UK approach, is not to attempt widespread testing... but to flatten out the peak, therefor giving their health service greater ability to respond and not become overwhelmed.

But this basically looks like they are admitting defeat to a certain degree... a lot of people are going to die, but they are trying to spread this out over a longer period.

Hopefully we can start widespread testing soon. I don't want us to copy their, frankly bizarre approach to this!

I know testing costs money and takes time and manpower... but surely it's a better option than waving a white flag and giving up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

bekker wrote: »
    Closures - Tax income has already taken a hit and that is only going to escalate.

We are overly dependent on multinational CGT, and the service and tourist sectors. All of these are now vulnerable. Before this hit the global economy was faltering, and central banks were reaching the point where stimulus measures were running out of impact. Realistically the EU will not be able to meet all the demands that will be placed on it from states facing diminishing tax revenues, as it will itself be suffering falls.

So we need to ensure that the economy continues to function to the great possible extent. That means people need to be out and about and spending money. That should be possible using the social spacing, and other measures being promoted, but only if all sectors implement measures to enable it.

For example the VFI are best placed to ensure their member comply with spacing and maximum numbers, staff, and premises hygiene. Being a voluntary organisation they can be in a position to ban members immediately and in perpetuity for breaches, and announce publicly that they have done so. The caretaker government must immediately pressure them with complete closure of the licensed industry until they comply. Non-member pubs must be checked, and if in breech, loose licence immediately and all company directors receive a permanent ban on holding a licence.

There are full face transparent shields available which would go some way to protect customer facing staff from direct expiration, coughing and sneezing, whilst allowing verbal interaction etc. These should be become mandatory immediately by amending workplace health and safety regulations. In addition to helping staff they would also be a visible reminder to customer to take precautions.

We need to close the pubs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Much as this pains me to say I think the British approach has some merit. I can't stand Johnson or the Tories but this is coming from their chief medical officer and his colleagues.
    Our approach is also temporary. A shut down cannot be permanent, and this virus is not going away. We will have to function as a society while simultaneously deal with covid 19.
    Ultimately though my opinion means nothing I will follow the advice of scientist in this country. My feeling is we need to either do full shutdown for a few weeks pubs clubs etc not just school to slow it down. But I also feel there is no stopping it.

Chief medical officers arent always Doctors, that guy worked in research/R&D in the private sector for years. Does he have vunerable peoples lives in his mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Do you have firearms?

Interesting question. I thought it would be more worthwhile to acquire some form of protection rather than stock pilling bog rolls.

So far ive been able to get a scatter gun and a box of ammo. By next week i should have a Deuce 5 and a six shooter with 3 shots in the barrel.

Because i don't have a lot of ammo , im going to counteract that by buying multiple shooters instead of one.
    So instead of reloading one pop gun , ill just pick up another one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

MadYaker wrote: »
    Movies are not real life. Ain’t no supply chains breaking down in Italy.
    Unpleasant loudmouths always come to a sticky end in the movies, so there's that. :pac:

I am in Spain, my local shop has no toilet paper left, yesterday had no pasta nor milk, this is causing panic in itself, I went this morning and was able to pick stuff up , still no toilet paper tho - odd that this is running out, most apartments here have a bidet ffs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I just head on the radio that they are rolling out a COVID19 warning system similar to the weather/storm warning system. It will be done on a County level. I hope they know what they are doing because these warning systems really frustrate and confuse people. I didn't capture it all but the general gist was as follows;

Yellow Warning: Cases increasing more than 10 per day. Social media misinformation starting to spike (again). People looking worried and reports of road rage outside shopping centres. Queues in most supermarkets but Supervalu still considered expensive. White pasta gone but wholewheat pasta still on shelves. Brown rice plentiful. Toilet roll turnover significant. Some heavy rain showers turning to sleet. Gaelgoirs speaking English most of the time.

Orange Warning: Cases increasingly significantly. Dirty looks commonplace. Social media causing panic attacks. People doing exactly what they were told not to do. Staff crying sporadically in supermarkets and GP surgerys. Pasta/Rice/Brennans/Milk - forget about it. Toilet roll still available in small dingy rural petrol stations. Fridges exploding with frozen milk. Hatred for foreigners at an all time high. Anyone from east of Calcutta considered a communist Chinese bastard. Children turning feral. Stigmata cases reported but likely excessive hand washing. Everybody is a virology expert. Horse racing enthusiasts and Liverpool supporters being verbally abused. Some gusts to 100 km/h.

Red Warning: HSE stopped counting and are begging people to stop eating toilet rolls. Riots in any open supermarkets over vegan sausages and beetroot. People walking the streets like zombies, especially members of the Gardai/Army who have been drinking poiteen. First hangings taking place for social media offences. Break-ins and food robberies at all time high. Teachers flat out. Sinn Fein canvassers offering tinned tomatoes for votes. Blight conditions.

It's not a perfect science but please heed the warnings.

Who is 'they' ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Drumpot wrote: »
    Hopefully we can come to some agreement with those up north , at least about an island wide strategy on social distancing

Alas, that would be a British issue and not an Irish one. Dublin cannot demand / ask Northern Ireland to do anything. Dublin can beg i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rocko

gmisk wrote: »
    A tonne of restaurants are already doing the one meter thing between tables and limits on people.
    Sprezzatura, rascal brewery, Koh tonne more.
    I agree it needs to be enforced

It's great to hear that some restaurants are doing a one metre rule between customers but we need this to be enforced everywhere, that's where the Garda & Army come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Jesus the ghouls who are most worried about their investments etc are really appearing here today. And the trolls and the funny men more vocal as things get worse...

These people are like a different species.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

alastair wrote: »
    Yeah - still guff.

Countries in the EU have already closed their borders to all but their own citizens.

This is the right decision and more countries are following.

Shengen is dead for now.

Nobody is claiming that it’ll stop it. It won’t. It’ll spread out the impact on hospitals though.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Already near 3000 cases just in madrid ...getting crazy there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The reality is nearly all the deaths have been from people that were already sick or very old and probably would have died even from normal flu

Is that you Boris?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Italy:

https://www.littler.com/publication-press/publication/italy-covid-19-coronavirus-employer-faqs

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-covid-19-italy-mortgage-payments-suspended-during-lockdown-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

IF the Irish government doesn't introduce measure to help employers pay wages where it's needed then the Irish government will end up paying social welfare anyway and the risk that those jobs will be lost forever increases.

Help employers to continue to be employers and when this is all over - and someday it will be all over - those businesses will be better placed to quickly re-open.

Take away the worry of meeting mortgage payments by imposing a blanket postponement means people are more likely to accept the lockdown.

I don't know what Italy is doing re: rental sector tbh but I do know the Irish govt will have to do something as there is no way people on Job Seekers will be able to pay the kind of rents charged here - will they all get HAP? What about the weekly limits set on that?

Unless they want to see mass evictions/mortgage arrears government will have to introduce some measures - it's a question of what kind of measures.

Will they go with ways to support employers and their employees weather the storm or load it all onto SW and see our unemployment rates skyrocket again?

Will they tell the banks to hold their whist and wait a while for the mortgage payments or leave it up to individual banks to decide on a case by case basis and risk their 'bad loan' ratio rising again.

Rental - that's a hard one - but if people are being paid their normal salary - albeit with govt support - then that issue isn't as critical.

I understand all of that - the rental market in particular here is a worry tbf.

I'd like to think that mortgage/utility payments would be suspended here in the event of a total lockdown ala Italy.

What I meant when replying to the poster was that other countries have employees just as concerned and worried as Ireland.

I think how we've handled it so far is promising, and I'd imagine a range of measures will be put in place in the event of a total lockdown ala Italy.

Countries in the EU have already closed their borders to all but their own citizens.

This is the right decision and more countries are following.

Shengen is dead for now.

Not disputing that they have done so. Disputing that it’s in any way beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Twelve to Eighteen months before we know which approach has been more effective.

Boris's advisors or Leo's advisors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Seamai wrote: »
    Why is everyone so obsessed with Cork? It's the second biggest city with over 300,000 people in the greater city area so of course there are will probably be proportionately more cases here.
    Because two hospitals now have reported that they have infections among their staff and upwards of 100 healthcare workers have had to self-isolate. We didn't have any school shut-downs even though there were confirmed cases in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

before people start panicking that's 0.2%

Do those who are in a higher than 0.2% risk category, or have one such in their immediate family, have your permission to panic?

So, if 50% of our population gets this virus (conservative estimate - it could be as high as 80%)... with a 1% case mortality rate, this is roughly 24,000 deaths from this thing!

If the UK gets the same numbers, that will be 330,000 deaths!

It appears the UK approach, is not to attempt widespread testing... but to flatten out the peak, therefor giving their health service greater ability to respond and not become overwhelmed.

But this basically looks like they are admitting defeat to a certain degree... a lot of people are going to die, but they are trying to spread this out over a longer period.

Hopefully we can start widespread testing soon. I don't want us to copy their, frankly bizarre approach to this!

I know testing costs money and takes time and manpower... but surely it's a better option than waving a white flag and giving up?

The alternative is the Italian and now Spanish model, shut everything down - ok and then what ? for how long ?
    untill there is a vaccine ?

Eventually they need to open up again and then cases will just spike again ..

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

tromtipp wrote: »
    The only way they can re-open schools is if they can enforce the 2m separation thing - and even that is a bit risky. Maybe let the exam years back, reduce the class sizes, draft in all teachers to concentrate on them.

Then in late August start back with an alternate 2 day week/3 day week cycle for all, with online learning on the other days. Very expensive (with working parents forced to take care of their children), and children will lose out by at least a year, which they'll need to get back later, but if the state's going to invest in anything, the safety as well as the education of our children should be at the top of the list.

I’m a primary school teacher , I can already tell you my school doesn’t have enough desks, or room in the classrooms to enforce a 2m distance rule. Kids sit two per desk and desks are normally together as groups. Even if this was achievable we then have the issue of shared toilets. At break I don’t know how I could keep the kids apart from eachother. I teach infants and they require a lot of help with basic tasks.

It would be a lot more achievable with secondary school children I believe.

At primary level we teach 11 subjects, if we need to take time off for school closure, we’re advised to focus on the core subjects when we get back - English , Maths and Irish are considered core. So with leaving out the drama ,art , music and religion, sese etc. We’d be able to get them up to date with numeracy and literacy at the least.

At the moment it’s only 2 weeks away from school.
    I’m not going to panic about my class, as long as they all come back to me happy and healthy with healthy families I’ll be happy and I’ve a plan in place for catch-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

statesaver wrote: »
    Alas, that would be a British issue and not an Irish one. Dublin cannot demand / ask Northern Ireland to do anything. Dublin can beg i suppose.

If the UKs strategy is a disaster (which it might be), there could be some very Significant extra frosty sentiment between us and the North after this has hopefully abided. Their strategy will effect us more then most other things if it goes wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement