Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’m asking this question on behalf of my grandmother who is a mass goer but she’s wondering if masses are cancelled ? I think they are but can’t find a definitive yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    IF the Irish government doesn't introduce measure to help employers pay wages where it's needed then the Irish government will end up paying social welfare anyway and the risk that those jobs will be lost forever increases.

You are right of course but getting a little sick of the moaning from employers and businesses exactly 1 day into these restrictions. This is a crisis situation and the government now has a hell of a lot of shít to sort out and not very much time to do it.

I hate to be cynical (it is a curse in a way), but expect many "employers" and "entrepreneurs" in this country (after several years of making hay) will probably mass lay off everyone they can get away with immediately and dump all costs entirely in the lap of the social welfare system.

At same time they will expect all their tax to be cancelled,mortgage payments cancelled...if they own some rental property they'll probably still want all their rack rent on time and to the cent though - having some problems coming up with the rent "f u pay me".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do those who are in a higher than 0.2% risk category, or have one such in their immediate family, have your permission to panic?

He was talking about keeping basic services open, nothing to do with panicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

revelman wrote: »
    Only because in other countries they started to open drive through test centres in places where significant clusters were emerging. So it is worth question about Cork, which has Ireland’s first such centre. If this happened in Athlon, I’d be asking the same question. No obsession with Cork whatsoever other than it being a great place! :)

It wasn't your comment in particular, I'm not having a go at you. I'm just seeing quite a few about clusters in Cork over the last week. Living here I'm hearing a ridiculous amount of hearsay, most of which is not turning into anything concrete but I'm guessing that's happening everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

joe40 wrote: »
    Much as this pains me to say I think the British approach has some merit. I can't stand Johnson or the Tories but this is coming from their chief medical officer and his colleagues.
    Our approach is also temporary. A shut down cannot be permanent, and this virus is not going away. We will have to function as a society while simultaneously deal with covid 19.
    A vaccine is also a long way off.
    Ultimately though my opinion means nothing I will follow the advice of scientist in this country. My feeling is we need to either do full shutdown for a few weeks pubs clubs etc not just school to slow it down. But I also feel there is no stopping it.
    I agree. The Brits are getting a lot of adverse comment about their approach. The big problem they have is keeping the most vulnerable safe while most normally healthy will get the virus and thereby build up ‘herd immunity’. I’m not sure how successful they will be but trying to keep everyone from exposure is not going to work in the long term either. The virus is out there and we can’t avoid it forever.
    Maybe there is no right way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

alastair wrote: »
    Disputing that it’s in any way beneficial.

So just continue freedom of movement from infected areas all across Europe?

What's your rationale on not restricting travel?

Countries all over the world are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’m asking this question on behalf of my grandmother who is a mass goer but she’s wondering if masses are cancelled ? I think they are but can’t find a definitive yes.

Most are but it seems to be on a diocese by diocese basis.

I believe a small minority are continuing with restrictions to keep numbers in attendance below 100.

Many parishes are livestreaming the mass.

https://www.eur.army.mil/DefenderEurope/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-pyJCkDbkQ

WTF is all the americans doing without face masks, protection and the likes in the actual epicentre of a Covid 19 pandemic???

this is very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

With all the Italians out on their balconies singing with each other, it might be an opportunity for the Irish who are physically capable, to get on their roofs with an instrument of their choice and perform a communal rendition of Enya’s Orinoco Flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Aegir wrote: »
    That is my concern. Are we actually tackling this, or just delaying the inevitable.

What happens in two weeks when the schools go back, or do we delay it another two weeks and another.

There is a lot of scare mongering about herd immunity, but how else will the actual cause of this be addressed, or do we just hide in our homes hoping some clever scientist comes up with a cure?

This is delay of infections, that's all that can be done with this virus. Are there any cures or vaccines for any strain of coronavirus???

Will be for a minimum of 3 months so will probably be September before schools reconvene.

Anyone who thinks that we are only shut down for 2 weeks has their head in the sand.

Next week will see curtailment like other EU countries and the likes of restaurants, pubs, cinemas etc will close.

The following week we will likely see only essential services allowed to continue to operate.

After a couple of months of that who knows, maybe we can return to a bleaker normal or maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just tell her they are cancelled an say 5 hail marys after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

how are healthcare workers still getting sick are they not taking precautions?

Also we are not also aware that they are cases when first contact is made....if they subsequently display symptoms (after admission and exposure to staff),then we are potentially exposed and liable to be infected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Spain about to go into full lockdown from Monday

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1238818883433385984

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Most are but it seems to be on a diocese by diocese basis.

I believe a small minority are continuing with restrictions to keep numbers in attendance below 100.

Sound. Yeah I looked on the cork and Ross website and nothing specific about mass closing and I know from talking to her she was saying there were restrictions in place to stop contact as much as possible. Its just she’s of a generation that seem to want something official.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Imagine if the virus came back ala the Spanish flu? Can you imagine how quickly society would break down. Right now we are dealing with a slightly more complicated and hazardous cold and people are losing their collective marbles on a small scale. Imagine if the virus was 10% more deadly!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There was talk that the Germans have a low death rate because of the ICU machines they have that can recirculate the blood after being purified. Can't remember where I saw/heard it. Will try to get a link
    Heard it on Newstalk. They were saying that it oxygenated the blood, which seemed to be key. They were saying this thing narrowed the airways restricting air getting into the lungs. They also suggested anti-inflammatories improve that, which suggests those with relatively mild symptoms possibly just need a bit of medical direction rather than individual attention. It's only the serious ones that need hospital treatment, but I realise there are and will be a lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

I'm not sure why people think that this disease won't harm fit and able people. We know nothing about this virus.

Polio killed people with underlying conditions at first, then up to 30years later it would re-appear in people and cripple them.

And we still don't understand how polio can incubate for that long period.

Also this is not like the 'flu'.
    HIV is also just a virus, do you wanna catch that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Chief medical officers arent always Doctors, that guy worked in research/R&D in the private sector for years. Does he have vunerable peoples lives in his mind?

Really?

"Professor Whitty is currently Chief Scientific Adviser for the Department of Health and Social Care.
    He has overall responsibility for the department’s research and development, including the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and life science strategy.
    He is also the Professor of Public and International Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, a practising NHS Consultant Physician in acute medicine and infectious diseases at University College London Hospitals, and Gresham Professor of Physic."
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-chief-medical-officer-appointed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I agree. The Brits are getting a lot of adverse comment about their approach. The big problem they have is keeping the most vulnerable safe while most normally healthy will get the virus and thereby build up ‘herd immunity’. I’m not sure how successful they will be but trying to keep everyone from exposure is not going to work in the long term either. The virus is out there and we can’t avoid it forever.
    Maybe there is no right way?

Slowing down the spread isn’t About stopping The same amount of people contracting the disease, it’s about staggering the amount of people who get it at the same time. That’s why the UKs strategy Is kind of A contradiction , we don’t expect to stop everybody getting it, we just want everyone who needs medical attention to have access to support when they need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

We need to close the pubs now.
    All off-licences also?

Because if you don't there will be an dramatic increase in the already high number domestic drinking gatherings. Good luck with maintaining any sort of social distancing in those environments.

Yes but many churches are open through the day and welcome visitors. Also, check her parish website- ours are broadcasting mass on Sunday through the net - there is also mass on RTÉ 1 every second Sunday and service every other Sunday.
    Obviously she’ll likely need help getting the mass streaming going on Sunday but there’s at least some alternatives for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Yes and if they werent dont go

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Already near 3000 cases just in madrid ...getting crazy there

And bear in mind that the epidemiological history so far suggests actual cases are about 30x identified ones. So nearly 90,000 infected people.

Here, at 120 confirmed cases it's probably over 3,000 on the island, 7,000 by next Friday, over 50,000 by Easter. Close the bloody pubs, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I know Wicklow Town has cancelled theirs. They are going to stream it on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wibbs wrote: »
    and the UK's response of "herd immunity" is predicated on the idea of a closed system. Problem is it's not. People and infected people will keep arriving and leaving the UK.

So what’s the answer? How are we as a species going to beat the corona virus?

Viruses don’t just decide to give up and go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Does this mean my Monday flight will be cancelled and I will get a refund from Ryanair?

They said in an email I could change flights to a later date but this will not work on their website and there is just pure silence when you ring their helpline.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

amber2 wrote: »
    Just heard of a wedding going ahead today in a Kerry town and told by the venue to keep your mouth shut, well over the 100 limit. This is what we are up against.

Edit : don’t know the venue but a couple attending the wedding.

Greed will always survive a virus. Hotel should be boycotted from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Most of my conationals here are evangelicals (protestants) and this weekend strangely they are not going to church.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement