Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

So just continue freedom of movement from infected areas all across Europe?

What's your rationale on not restricting travel?

Countries all over the world are doing it.

Most countries are not doing it - and those who are, are continuing to allow their own nationals, and ongoing transports etc to travel. So unless those people are somehow immune to infection, and there’s no domestic infection, the virus will spread regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Another consequence of this I saw from the Irish Kidney Foundation is that organ donations will significantly fall if health services get overwhelmed. We're all in this together and we really don't have time for the mé féiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Does this mean my Monday flight will be cancelled and I will get a refund from Ryanair?

They said in an email I could change flights to a later date but this will not work on their website and there is just pure silence when you ring their helpline 1890 30 30 30.

Don't know about flights yet.

To be announced in the next few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Tordelback wrote: »
    And bear in mind that the epidemiological history so far suggests actual cases are about 30x identified ones. So nearly 90,000 infected people.

Here, at 120 confirmed cases it's probably over 3,000 on the island, 7,000 by next Friday, over 50,000 by Easter. Close the bloody pubs, please.

At this rate it doesn’t matter the actual number infected, it’s the ones who are suffering because of it. The figures look scary in isolation but only a small fraction of those people are suffering. We don’t look at car accidents on a given day from Toledo and gasp at the horror. Same with this, people die all the time. This time, a malign Virus is the reason, could be countless other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

The alternative is the Italian and now Spanish model, shut everything down - ok and then what ? for how long ?
    untill there is a vaccine ?

Eventually they need to open up again and then cases will just spike again ..

It's just seems like such a callous strategy to me... allow huge amounts of people to die, but just spread the death toll out over a longer period. Bizarre idea to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

See our potential super spreader Varadkar is out and about today.

So much for isolating contacts of know contacts of confirmed cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Are there flights still coming into Dublin from Madrid and Northern Italy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

bekker wrote: »
    All off-licences also?

Because if you don't there will be an dramatic increase in the already high number domestic drinking gatherings. Good luck with maintaining any sort of social distancing in those environments.

Irish conforming to stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’m asking this question on behalf of my grandmother who is a mass goer but she’s wondering if masses are cancelled ? I think they are but can’t find a definitive yes.

Tell her not to worry. Archbishop Martin was in the media during the week explaining that the obligation to attend mass has been revoked. Basically, a free pass has been issued.

Stay in and stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Can anybody from any harder hit European countries give any insight into how normal daily life has changed over the last few days?
    Not that I was expecting Irish people to take it that seriously but Im at a south Dublin shopping centre right now and theres lots of people about. It really doesnt look any different to usual saturday, food courts and cafes are packed out. IS it like this in the rest of Europe right now? For all the talk I think the only major change has been school closures

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

sonandheir wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people think that this disease won't harm fit and able people. We know nothing about this virus.

Polio killed people with underlying conditions at first, then up to 30years later it would re-appear in people and cripple them.

And we still don't understand how polio can incubate for that long period.

Also this is not like the 'flu'.
    HIV is also just a virus, do you wanna catch that?

We know more than “nothing” about it. We need to learn lots more about it but to say we know nothing is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

rusty cole wrote: »
    https://www.eur.army.mil/DefenderEurope/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-pyJCkDbkQ

WTF is all the americans doing without face masks, protection and the likes in the actual epicentre of a Covid 19 pandemic???

this is very weird.

Its not weird, troops began arriving in Europe in early/mid Feb....we did not have a Pandemic on our hands then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Aegir wrote: »
    So what’s the answer? How are we as a species going to beat the corona virus?

Viruses don’t just decide to give up and go home.

Follow almost in every detail what the Chinese did with one or two exceptions and encourage people all work together on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

1641 wrote: »
    Really?

"Professor Whitty is currently Chief Scientific Adviser for the Department of Health and Social Care.
    He has overall responsibility for the department’s research and development, including the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and life science strategy.
    He is also the Professor of Public and International Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, a practising NHS Consultant Physician in acute medicine and infectious diseases at University College London Hospitals, and Gresham Professor of Physic."
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-chief-medical-officer-appointed

He could be many things
    https://mobile.twitter.com/GabrielScally/status/1238761911459733504

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sound. Yeah I looked on the cork and Ross website and nothing specific about mass closing and I know from talking to her she was saying there were restrictions in place to stop contact as much as possible. Its just she’s of a generation that seem to want something official.

Cancelled.

“In light of this, in the Diocese of Cork and Ross, all public Weekend Masses will be discontinued until further notice. This also refers to Masses for St. Patrick’s Day. “

https://corkandross.org/diocesan/bishop-fintan-issues-temporary-norms-with-regard-to-weekend-masses/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

fly_agaric wrote: »
    You are right of course but getting a little sick of the moaning from employers and businesses exactly 1 day into these restrictions. This is a crisis situation and the government now has a hell of a lot of shít to sort out and not very much time to do it.

I hate to be cynical (it is a curse in a way), but expect many "employers" and "entrepreneurs" in this country (after several years of making hay) will probably mass lay off everyone they can get away with immediately and dump all costs entirely in the lap of the social welfare system.

At same time they will expect all their tax to be cancelled,mortgage payments cancelled...if they own some rental property they'll probably still want all their rack rent on time and to the cent though - having some problems coming up with the rent "f u pay me".

It would be relatively simple to make any aid to businesses contingent on them continuing to be employers - if they want to lay people off then they should be obliged to make them redundant.
    If they fail to re-open after the crises the owners/directors become liable to pay back any aid received from the taxpayers.

So - government says businesses can avail of this range of supports but to qualify they first they need to demonstrate that they are continuing to pay their staff at least 80% of normal salary.

This is the time for government to play hardball and make it clear their aim to to protect the workers first and by doing so will also aid the employers.

alastair wrote: »
    Most countries are not doing it - and those who are, are continuing to allow their own nationals, and ongoing transports etc to travel. So unless those people are somehow immune to infection, and there’s no domestic infection, the virus will spread regardless.

Countries in Europe are closing their borders because we are in a public health emergency.

Countries across Asia and the middle east have heavily or restricted or banned travel for most if not all European nations.

This is happening. It's not really a debate anymore.

Have a friend in Sofia, he says people only allowed out to buy essentials and it’s fairly scary. But they are much more centralized and urban than us. Dublin being spread out so much lessens the community fear and thus people just feel they can go on as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I know I didn't be we should ignore the troll:)

dint I were, be then what now°

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Ads on the radio for over 50's funeral plan are doing my head in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yes but many churches are open through the day and welcome visitors. Also, check her parish website- ours are broadcasting mass on Sunday through the net - there is also mass on RTÉ 1 every second Sunday and service every other Sunday.
    Obviously she’ll likely need help getting the mass streaming going on Sunday but there’s at least some alternatives for her.

Sunday masses and collection plates have been cancelled.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

wakka12 wrote: »
    Can anybody from any harder hit European countries give any insight into how normal daily life has changed over the last few days?
    Not that I was expecting Irish people to take it that seriously but Im at a south Dublin shopping centre right now and theres lots of people about. It really doesnt look any different to usual saturday, food courts and cafes are packed out. IS it like this in the rest of Europe right now? For all the talk I think the only major change has been school closures

You doing exactly what everyone else is doing in the shopping centre. Why aren't you at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The UK experts don't seem to fully understand that children are vectors for the spread rather than being endandered themselves.

The chief medical officer said there was no need to close schools becauses children weren't in danger. He ignored the fact they can carry and spread it asymptomatically.

The UK will be added to the US travel ban if they don't change approach.

It’s like everyone pointing fingers at everyone else but not realizing they’re as much part of the problem as everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

wakka12 wrote: »

Just wait and see, we will lose a lot of freedom collectively for a while because of gob****es who can't sacrifice a trip to the pub or shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Countries in Europe are closing their borders because we are in a public health emergency.

Countries across Asia and the middle east have heavily or restricted or banned travel for most if not all European nations.

This is happening. It's not really a debate anymore.

Include latin/central america too, closing borders/flight bans etc

They might be lucky as they have been watching this unfold for longer, but then again we dont know for sure how much it has really spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

So could we all. But Scally called this one wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Whitty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I’m asking this question on behalf of my grandmother who is a mass goer but she’s wondering if masses are cancelled ? I think they are but can’t find a definitive yes.
    I think I saw on the news that they are, I'll just check for source

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1122150/

Until March 29th. Please please convince her not to go, put on videos of the pope and stuff or whatever will placate her. Otherwise it's a death sentence for her. Not a nice way to go either for such a (if you think about it) silly, silly reason. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Phone the parish priest. The parishes are all online with the numbers, and may have up to date news about this; look up the parish or the diocese. pm me if you need help. Happy to do that

• Advertisement

791 new cases and 58 new deaths reported in Spain so far today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement