Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They close the playground in Marley Park yet leave the pubs open .Absolute nonsense in my opinion .Yes the playground should be closed but so should the adult playgrounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

The UK experts don't seem to fully understand that children are vectors for the spread rather than being endandered themselves.

The chief medical officer said there was no need to close schools becauses children weren't in danger. He ignored the fact they can carry and spread it asymptomatically.

The UK will be added to the US travel ban if they don't change approach.

Can we ban them too? If they continue with this approach surely countries across the world will start banning UK flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

If parents are unable to work from home they should ask parental leave or just unpaid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think I saw on the news that they are, I'll just check for source

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1122150/

Until March 29th. Please please convince her not to go, put on videos of the pope and stuff or whatever will placate her. Otherwise it's a death sentence for her. Not a nice way to go either for such a (if you think about it) silly, silly reason. xx

Bit extreme.

Yes she shouldnt go. But dont claim its a death sentence. And while you might find it silly, her faith could be a great source of comfort during these times.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Countries in Europe are closing their borders because we are in a public health emergency.

Countries across Asia and the middle east have heavily or restricted or banned travel for most if not all European nations.

This is happening. It's not really a debate anymore.

Who ever though it would be Europeans who would be the ones other nations are trying to keep out.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

1641 wrote: »
    So could we all. But Scally called this one wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Whitty

Oh lord he took money from Bill Gates foundation!

Theres probably already a conspiracy thread on this.

Smiley face

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It’s like everyone pointing fingers at everyone else but not realizing they’re as much part of the problem as everyone else.

Thats it, have seen multiple social media posts from people complaining about hoarders while they themselves were in shops to hoard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If Johnson goes ahead with his herd immunity plan the queen will have to go into permanent isolation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

wakka12 wrote: »
    Can anybody from any harder hit European countries give any insight into how normal daily life has changed over the last few days?
    Not that I was expecting Irish people to take it that seriously but Im at a south Dublin shopping centre right now and theres lots of people about. It really doesnt look any different to usual saturday, food courts and cafes are packed out. IS it like this in the rest of Europe right now? For all the talk I think the only major change has been school closures

That's my problem with this. School and creche closures are massively disruptive but what is the point if shops pubs and clubs remain open and business as usual.
    Do the shutdown properly but lip service is a farce.

Two weeks of Tractor Ted.................i just.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Countries in Europe are closing their borders because we are in a public health emergency.

Countries across Asia and the middle east have heavily or restricted or banned travel for most if not all European nations.

This is happening. It's not really a debate anymore.

Again - not disputing it’s happened in a minority of countries - but disputing it’s doing any good. Closing borders stops nothing. Containment is redundant at this stage.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Can anybody from any harder hit European countries give any insight into how normal daily life has changed over the last few days?
    Not that I was expecting Irish people to take it that seriously but Im at a south Dublin shopping centre right now and theres lots of people about. It really doesnt look any different to usual saturday, food courts and cafes are packed out. IS it like this in the rest of Europe right now? For all the talk I think the only major change has been school closures

It's like the phoney war before WW2 in the hospital I work in. Sadly, this is going to get far worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Headline in The Journal regarding school closures.
    Disagreement on the matter is also causing a rift between Sinn Féin and the
    DUP.

OMG Strange times indeed :rolleyes:

joe40 wrote: »
    That's my problem with this. School and creche closures are massively disruptive but what is the point if shops pubs and clubs remain open and business as usual.
    Do the shutdown properly but lip service is a farce.

Possibly a staggered approach. Closes schools, playgrounds and creches. Let people get used to that, then close pubs n clubs, then close shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

791 new cases and 58 new deaths reported in Spain so far today.

Yesterday @ 15.10 it was 1188 / 36

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

statesaver wrote: »
    You doing exactly what everyone else is doing in the shopping centre. Why aren't you at home.

I went to the shop, we still have to do that. I'm not sitting in a cafe, its just something I observed while I was there, there were no spare seats in the food court which holds well over 100 people

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Just after driving around medium size town. Some amount of people out shopping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They close the playground in Marley Park yet leave the pubs open .Absolute nonsense in my opinion .Yes the playground should be closed but so should the adult playgrounds

Why are the pubs so concerning, theyre limiting intake and most are quite clean

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

how are healthcare workers still getting sick are they not taking precautions?
    Well, in Ireland we aren’t testing many people and we should’ve started testing thousands of people weeks ago. Therefore people come into hospital, having been refused testing by the HSE, who are having severe respiratory issues. That’s my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What are people supposed to do? Just randomly just stay at home with no signs of symptoms? It’s just not in human nature to do that, I don’t even consider it selfish to be honest. Sadly it will take some collateral damage for people to take it seriously, hopefully doesn’t come to that but until we are getting “the poor nurses” social justice fb posts from the same people out today, it’s just not gonna be a thing unless lockdown occurs properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Can we ban them too? If they continue with this approach surely countries across the world will start banning UK flights?

Absolutely. If the UK go ahead with their plan their flights will be banned to most countries. British Airways are already struggling. Johnsons plan will kill them off as well as Virgin.

They really haven't thought it through. Its complete lunacy and doesn't strike a balance between health and economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Guaranteed recession. I don't know how bad because things need to die down first which could be months. A vaccine could be a year away. We're in this for the next year or two, maybe longer.

Possibly a world war.
    People starving and dying as what happens now in 3rd world countries happening then in 1st world countries.
    Russian Migs intercepted twice in one day in Irish airspace recently. Jets from RAF intercepted them, not much about it tho.
    No many on this thread I from what I’ve read will cope with the real horror that’s coming.
    A reversal of fortunes where Asia will be the superpower is very likely and Europe resembles sub Saharan Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

At any stage you feel you need it, like any illness. Spiking temp, shortness of breath, breathing difficulties. I'm not a medic that's just my opinion.

If someone has symptoms but is well enough to rest at home and recover then why would they need to be tested.

I'm thinking out loud here, not necessarily directed at you.

A) A person has mild symptoms, gets tested, negative result, isolate and rest at home.
    B) A person has mild symptoms, gets tested, positive result, isolate and rest at home.

If you don't need hospitalisation the outcome is the same regardless of a test.
    If someone is tested as negative, then they do not need to avoid their elderly relatives when their symptoms ease, but if they are tested as positive, then they definitely should avoid contact with any vulnerable people until they are advised that they are clear of the disease.

There are a lot of people out there caring for elderly relatives, not full time carers, but checking in on them every day, and for them getting tested is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

alastair wrote: »
    Again - not disputing it’s happened in a minority of countries - but disputing it’s doing any good. Closing borders stops nothing. Containment is redundant at this stage.

Care to point out the countries with no restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Two weeks of Tractor Ted.................i just.........

Two weeks? You wish. This is gonna go on a lot longer and restrictions will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think I saw on the news that they are, I'll just check for source

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1122150/

Until March 29th. Please please convince her not to go, put on videos of the pope and stuff or whatever will placate her. Otherwise it's a death sentence for her. Not a nice way to go either for such a (if you think about it) silly, silly reason. xx

Not a silly reason at all but can be avoided without feeling the loss of what means so much at such times as these . If thee are any masses at this time you will find them here online google Ireland mass webcam.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

ITman88 wrote: »
    Possibly a world war.
    People starving and dying as what happens now in 3rd world countries happening then in 1st world countries.
    Russian Migs intercepted twice in one day in Irish airspace recently. Jets from RAF intercepted them, not much about it tho.
    No many on this thread I from what I’ve read will cope with the real horror that’s coming.
    A reversal of fortunes where Asia will be the superpower is very likely and Europe resembles sub Saharan Africa

Not to mention the zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Chief Medical Officiers of England and of the UK are political appointments.

They are appointed by the government to give advice to the government. They fulfil a similar type of role as does the Attorney General in legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Why are the pubs so concerning, theyre limiting intake and most are quite clean

They are just as big a risk as a playground in the open air . They close playgrounds then its logical to close anywhere where people are in close contact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    If parents are unable to work from home they should ask parental leave or just unpaid

Yeah all the doctors, nurses, fire, ambulance, delivery drivers, supermarkets, pharmacies, food suppliers, food manufacturers, medical companies, GP surgery staff, Gardai...... All those people who can't work from home..... Sure we'll let them all just take parental leave

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement