Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

ITman88 wrote: »
    Possibly a world war.
    People starving and dying as what happens now in 3rd world countries happening then in 1st world countries.
    Russian Migs intercepted twice in one day in Irish airspace recently. Jets from RAF intercepted them, not much about it tho.
    No many on this thread I from what I’ve read will cope with the real horror that’s coming.
    A reversal of fortunes where Asia will be the superpower is very likely and Europe resembles sub Saharan Africa

giphy.webp

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Care to point out the countries with no restrictions?

Care to re-read what I actually wrote?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Also we are not also aware that they are cases when first contact is made....if they subsequently display symptoms (after admission and exposure to staff),then we are potentially exposed and liable to be infected
    are they not taking precautions with all patients by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Simdruid

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I’m a primary school teacher , I can already tell you my school doesn’t have enough desks, or room in the classrooms to enforce a 2m distance rule. Kids sit two per desk and desks are normally together as groups. Even if this was achievable we then have the issue of shared toilets. At break I don’t know how I could keep the kids apart from eachother. I teach infants and they require a lot of help with basic tasks.

It would be a lot more achievable with secondary school children I believe.

At primary level we teach 11 subjects, if we need to take time off for school closure, we’re advised to focus on the core subjects when we get back - English , Maths and Irish are considered core. So with leaving out the drama ,art , music and religion, sese etc. We’d be able to get them up to date with numeracy and literacy at the least.

At the moment it’s only 2 weeks away from school.
    I’m not going to panic about my class, as long as they all come back to me happy and healthy with healthy families I’ll be happy and I’ve a plan in place for catch-up.

So do you think that as parents of primary school children we should concentrate on the non core subjects, since those will be neglected should the children return to school during this school year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Possibly a staggered approach. Closes schools, playgrounds and creches. Let people get used to that, then close pubs n clubs, then close shops.

Good point, maybe that is the plan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Imagine if the virus came back ala the Spanish flu? Can you imagine how quickly society would break down. Right now we are dealing with a slightly more complicated and hazardous cold and people are losing their collective marbles on a small scale. Imagine if the virus was 10% more deadly!

You are the one losing your marbles, if you genuinely think this is what we are currently dealing with...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

alastair wrote: »
    Not to mention the zombies.

Now, which kind of zombies.

We talking about old Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead ones,

Or 28 Days Later

Or World War Z

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They close the playground in Marley Park yet leave the pubs open .Absolute nonsense in my opinion .Yes the playground should be closed but so should the adult playgrounds

Who's to say the adult playgrounds as you call them won't be closed. If we get to Spanish or Italian levels or somewhere even close then obviously they will close everything or nearly everything. If the CMO had believed the pubs and restaurants needed to close then surely he'd have said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Why are the pubs so concerning, theyre limiting intake and most are quite clean

Are you for real? What about social distancing? This can’t be enforced in the pub, no way.
    They should be closed along with non essential business.
    This is not a bloody holiday we are trying to contain a virus that spreads via people being in close proximity, ergo stop people mingling with each other.
    How are you going to do that with pubs and shops open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Possibly a world war.
    People starving and dying as what happens now in 3rd world countries happening then in 1st world countries.
    Russian Migs intercepted twice in one day in Irish airspace recently. Jets from RAF intercepted them, not much about it tho.
    No many on this thread I from what I’ve read will cope with the real horror that’s coming.
    A reversal of fortunes where Asia will be the superpower is very likely and Europe resembles sub Saharan Africa
    Just when you think this thread couldn't get any more ridiculous. I'm all for freedom of free speech but rubbish like this should be removed.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Possibly a world war.

But the pubs will be open??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Poland has closed it's border to all foreigners.
    Russia has closed it's border to all foreigners except Belarussians. Any Russian citizens returning home must quarantine for 14 days

A 67 year old Greek man has died after returning from a trip to Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Today 13:42 hrs

Spain's government will say all Spaniards must stay at home except to buy food or drugs, go to hospital, go to work or other emergencies according to a draft decree seen by Reuters.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0314/1123232-live-updates/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Yeah all the doctors, nurses, fire, ambulance, delivery drivers, supermarkets, pharmacies, food suppliers, food manufacturers, medical companies, GP surgery staff, Gardai...... All those people who can't work from home..... Sure we'll let them all just take parental leave

All those people are still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

North/South press conference is not really saying anything other than we need to to work together?
    Apart from Michelle O'Neill who keeps saying we need a single approach and to close the schools in the North now.
    And they are all sitting too close to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’m asking this question on behalf of my grandmother who is a mass goer but she’s wondering if masses are cancelled ? I think they are but can’t find a definitive yes.

afaik all parish masses are cancelled nationwide - churches are being left open so that people can go in to pray. Wedding and funeral congregation sizes will be restricted.

Tell her she can time her handwashing by prayer instead of singing happy birthday - an Our Father and a Gloria, or a Hail Mary and a guardian angel prayer both come in at 20 seconds - it might not actually help the soap and water, but it's a sort of multitasking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Possibly a world war.

https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.charpentreau/24673-nato-fighters-intercept-russian-bombers-three-times-in-one-week

They were bombers in most instances...why they are testing eu out at this moment in time is worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

LillySV wrote: »
    https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.charpentreau/24673-nato-fighters-intercept-russian-bombers-three-times-in-one-week

They were bombers in most instances...why they are testing eu out at this moment in time is worrying

They've been doing it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Possibly a world war.

So, we are doomed, doomed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Italy:

https://www.littler.com/publication-press/publication/italy-covid-19-coronavirus-employer-faqs

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-covid-19-italy-mortgage-payments-suspended-during-lockdown-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

IF the Irish government doesn't introduce measure to help employers pay wages where it's needed then the Irish government will end up paying social welfare anyway and the risk that those jobs will be lost forever increases.

Help employers to continue to be employers and when this is all over - and someday it will be all over - those businesses will be better placed to quickly re-open.

Take away the worry of meeting mortgage payments by imposing a blanket postponement means people are more likely to accept the lockdown.

I don't know what Italy is doing re: rental sector tbh but I do know the Irish govt will have to do something as there is no way people on Job Seekers will be able to pay the kind of rents charged here - will they all get HAP? What about the weekly limits set on that?

Unless they want to see mass evictions/mortgage arrears government will have to introduce some measures - it's a question of what kind of measures.

Will they go with ways to support employers and their employees weather the storm or load it all onto SW and see our unemployment rates skyrocket again?

Will they tell the banks to hold their whist and wait a while for the mortgage payments or leave it up to individual banks to decide on a case by case basis and risk their 'bad loan' ratio rising again.

Rental - that's a hard one - but if people are being paid their normal salary - albeit with govt support - then that issue isn't as critical.

If they introduced a mortgage holiday for say 3 months for everyone then rent should also be suspended. If no has to pay a mortgage then no one should be charging rent. If the landlord owns the building outright then 3 months without mortgage won’t do them any harm.

Very simple, impose a 3 month rent and mortgage holiday. The banks can’t complain, we bailed them out, now they bail us out. That’s if we go to full lockdown which I believe is a week or less away.

The Gardai moved to 12 hour shifts for everyone to have more Gardai visible during daytime/business hours. It’s in place for 3 months and to be reviewed then so this is not going to be over this side of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

See Coventry on Sky news saying the UK wasn’t included in the advisory he gave last night....first I heard of it....cancelled my flight this morning because of what he said last night....
    Edit....I see now he said EU states...the UK brown-nosing here is staggering though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

The UK experts don't seem to fully understand that children are vectors for the spread rather than being endandered themselves.

The chief medical officer said there was no need to close schools becauses children weren't in danger. He ignored the fact they can carry and spread it asymptomatically.

The UK will be added to the US travel ban if they don't change approach.

The UK experts may well be wrong. The theory makes sense but I do not think it will work in practice. I am glad we are taking a different approach.

But to say that the "experts" didn't recognise that children are vectors is nonsense. It would really not take any expertise at all to recognise this.

The CMO did not "ignore" the fact that children can carry and spread the infection asymptomatically. He said this is likely to happen anyway - in that children will congregate even if there is no school, they will be out and about in the community anyway.

He opined that school closures would have some but minimal impact on this, but that this had to be balanced against other factors, such as out of school children having more contact with grandparents (childcare) and the impact on the availability of healthcare workers if their children had no school. He also said that when schools close it will be until the summer holidays at least (something which we are not being told upfront about).
    As I say, the CMO may be wrong about some or all of this, but he did not ignore it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

The UK governments scientific experiment of herd immunity in real time could well prove to be horrific viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Possibly a world war.

I thought u were meant to be the rational one. Bit of a 180 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

tom1ie wrote: »
    Are you for real? What about social distancing? This can’t be enforced in the pub, no way.
    They should be closed along with non essential business.
    This is not a bloody holiday we are trying to contain a virus that spreads via people being in close proximity, ergo stop people mingling with each other.
    How are you going to do that with pubs and shops open?

Well then get on to the government and tell them to close them. We should close down public transport then as buses are still running in cork and while not as full there are people sitting next to each other in seats next to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Guaranteed recession. I don't know how bad because things need to die down first which could be months. A vaccine could be a year away. We're in this for the next year or two, maybe longer.

Possibly a world war.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Bit extreme.

Yes she shouldnt go. But dont claim its a death sentence. And while you might find it silly, her faith could be a great source of comfort during these times.

You are absolutely correct.

It's not a death sentence for people over their 70s. Yes they are likely to die if they get it. But they are actually more likely to survive based on the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

150/195 recognised nations in the world have now recorded a case of COVID-19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

statesaver wrote: »
    The UK governments scientific experiment of herd immunity in real time could well prove to be horrific viewing.

Or genius.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement