Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

joe40 wrote: »
    All those people are still working.

Yes but the poster suggested that all parents who can't work from home should take parental or unpaid leave (both are the same BTW).

I was just pointing out the flaws in that strategy, you know all those essential workers can also be parents.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Possibly a staggered approach. Closes schools, playgrounds and creches. Let people get used to that, then close pubs n clubs, then close shops.

Yeah most likely.

I think we also do need to cut people a bit of slack, it's literally day 2 of this MASSIVE change in the social fabric of our society.

Yes what they are doing is dangerous but most of it is out of habit.

Also it's Saturday, which is the main shopping day for a lot of people who work Monday to Friday.

No point demonising these people who maybe are not as connected to social media and the actual threat this poses.

I had to sit down and explain to my own parents last week why they shouldn't go to my grandfather's 94th birthday party in Cork as an example, both are in their 60s and just did not know the risks. They do now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

statesaver wrote: »
    The UK governments scientific experiment of herd immunity in real time could well prove to be horrific viewing.

It could well work with far less economic consequences. Older vulnerable people already know they are at risk, guess the UK is leaving it up to the individual to take appropriate action.

We get to see it all play out in real time so we will know soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Downlinz

jojofizzio wrote: »
    See Coventry on Sky news saying the UK wasn’t included in the advisory he gave last night....first I heard of it....cancelled my flight this morning because of what he said last night....
    Edit....I see now he said EU states...the UK brown-nosing here is staggering though....

They should have been included and likely well in the near future, you were right to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Thank Christ I didn't fly home, been stuck in China debating about flying home for ages. Seems like things in Ireland are where they were in China a month ago. Settle in folks this is going to be a few weeks at least.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Luckily for me, I am a bit of a lone wolf and tend to roam hills and cliff walks etc and have 4 good friends amongst maybe 10 others where we are not too close but frequently we go fishing, hiking and surfing together.

But we're all a bid odd anyhow, maybe misfits as in don't conform to herd mentality and all non drinkers or druggers so we're not going to be socially effected by lack of contact.
    We thrive on solitude and the great outdoors.

We now and again have really deep conversations about what would happen if there was a shutdown or we had a virus in our midst.

We'd not suffer through lack of human interaction etc

Its the jocks and gannets I have concern about, the self proclaimed middle classes who have no coping skills unless they're out necking beer, wine or a few lines of coke to be able to fit in and be accepted and validated by their peers.

They're the people who could crack during this, and more liable to spread the virus than most people.

Walked past a well known bar in ennis yesterday evening and the usual local self absorbed Clare celebs and good looking guys and women in their huddle inside drinking and not a care in the world.
    I hope they will be safe and sound but knowing some of their self indulgent habits they'll more than likely be in the thick of it and demanding special treatment and walk over anyone to get what they want.
    The don't realise that viruses dont discriminate but when its too late they'll be off their heads with anxiety.

How do I know?

Because I was once like them, I thought like them, behaved like them, that feeling of insecurity and egotistical self indulgence takes years to recover from thats for sure.

17 years off the hooch and away from the dick heads and gannets, if this was 2003 id be out there drinking and being full of **** like the pint men driving Audis and vino Mini Cooper wrecks.

When disaster strikes better to be a nobody rather wanting to be a somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

ITman88 wrote: »
    Possibly a world war.
    People starving and dying as what happens now in 3rd world countries happening then in 1st world countries.
    Russian Migs intercepted twice in one day in Irish airspace recently. Jets from RAF intercepted them, not much about it tho.
    No many on this thread I from what I’ve read will cope with the real horror that’s coming.
    A reversal of fortunes where Asia will be the superpower is very likely and Europe resembles sub Saharan Africa

You forgot about d'aliens.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sunday masses and collection plates have been cancelled.

Is there anything to be said for another mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Very simple, impose a 3 month rent and mortgage holiday. The banks can’t complain, we bailed them out, now they bail us out.

This has become my mantra over the past week. It's the only way we'll get through this.

That, and giving me emergency powers to throw cat **** at the huge gangs of bored kids milling around outside my house mauling each other whenever the rain lets up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

No many on this thread I from what I’ve read will cope with the real horror that’s coming.

Is it more of your posts?

We'll cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Sound. Yeah I looked on the cork and Ross website and nothing specific about mass closing and I know from talking to her she was saying there were restrictions in place to stop contact as much as possible. Its just she’s of a generation that seem to want something official.

The Bishops have said there is no obligation to attend. That should reassure her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Today the number of cases in China will likely be surpassed by those outside it
    80,000 in China, 70,000 in the rest of the world(About 2/3 of which are in Europe)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

bekker wrote: »
    Chief Medical Officiers of England and of the UK are political appointments.

They are appointed by the government to give advice to the government. They fulfil a similar type of role as does the Attorney General in legal advice.

I have no idea how they are appointed. But how does the UK appointment system compare to that of other jurisdictions (including Ireland) ? Are they more or less likely to political appointments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

nthclare wrote: »
    Luckily for me, I am a bit of a lone wolf and tend to roam hills and cliff walks etc and have 4 good friends amongst maybe 10 others where we are not too close but frequently we go fishing, hiking and surfing together.

But we're all a bid odd anyhow, maybe misfits as in don't conform to herd mentality and all non drinkers or druggers so we're not going to be socially effected by lack of contact.

We now and again have really deep conversations about what would happen if there was a shutdown or we had a virus in our midst.

Its the jocks and gannets I have concern about, the self proclaimed middle classes who have no coping skills unless they're out necking beer, wine or a few lines of coke to be able to fit in and be accepted and validated by their peers.

They're the people who could crack during this, and more liable to spread the virus than most people.

Walked past a well known bar in ennis yesterday evening and the usual local self absorbed Clare celebs and good looking guys and women in their huddle inside drinking and not a care in the world.
    I hope they will be safe and sound but knowing some of their self indulgent habits they'll more than likely be in the thick of it and demanding special treatment and walk over anyone to get what they want.
    The don't realise that viruses dont discriminate but when its too late they'll be off their heads with anxiety.

How do I know?

Because I was once like them, I thought like them, behaved like them, that feeling of insecurity and egotistical self indulgence takes years to recover from thats for sure.

17 years off the hooch and away from the dick heads and gannets, if this was 2003 id be out there drinking and being full of **** like the pint men driving Audis and vino Mini Cooper wrecks.

Go way will ya, so much self praise and disdain for everybody else. You never got your ego in check obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

1 more death in UK possiblly 88 year old man last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

wakka12 wrote: »
    Today the number of cases in China will likely be surpassed by those outside it

Wooooo, fcuk you China!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If a new account starts posting in what appears to be a trolling manner, rather than respond, please report and let us deal with them. Getting rid of their trolling posts is very easy, tidying up all the quotes is not. Indeed please try and starve them of the oxygen they crave

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Necro wrote: »
    Yeah most likely.

I think we also do need to cut people a bit of slack, it's literally day 2 of this MASSIVE change in the social fabric of our society.

Yes what they are doing is dangerous but most of it is out of habit.

Also it's Saturday, which is the main shopping day for a lot of people who work Monday to Friday.

No point demonising these people who maybe are not as connected to social media and the actual threat this poses.

I had to sit down and explain to my own parents last week why they shouldn't go to my grandfather's 94th birthday party in Cork as an example, both are in their 60s and just did not know the risks. They do now though.

My own parents in their 60s are travelling to England this weekend for my grandfather's 92nd birthday. I begged and begged them not to go, and begged my grandparents to cancel the thing, but they just don't get it.

It's infuriating how people just don't get it. They think I'm overreacting for refusing to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Any figure on how many Irish visit Cheltenham each year? Are we likely to see many cases...the virus isnt as contagious in an outdoor setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

crossman47 wrote: »
    The Bishops have said there is no obligation to attend. That should reassure her.

Im sure it'll be fine but to pick up on what some others have said, my grandmother is in her 80's and like I'm sure lots of other people her age and I'm sure everyone here would agree that older people have routines and one of them is going to mass. It's a case of getting used to it. I can a big change this next week or during the week when people are more aware of what's happening and the reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Beasty wrote: »
    ... please try and starve them of the oxygen they crave

Somewhat unfortunate choice of phrase there, Beasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Shn99 wrote: »
    Any figure on how many Irish visit Cheltenham each year? Are we likely to see many cases...the virus isnt as contagious in an outdoor setting.

about 10,000 each year they recon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

nthclare wrote: »

How do I know?

Comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Airports and planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Police currently clearing the beaches in Spain, you know it is serious when you see that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Possibly a world war.
    People starving and dying as what happens now in 3rd world countries happening then in 1st world countries.
    Russian Migs intercepted twice in one day in Irish airspace recently. Jets from RAF intercepted them, not much about it tho.
    A reversal of fortunes where Asia will be the superpower is very likely and Europe resembles sub Saharan Africa

Posting this crap once was enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

The problem with this herd immunity idea is it’s more abstract theory from the Tories. The practical realities of it is that it could kill a huge number of people and utterly swamp the NHS which, would cause the deaths of a hell of a lot more unrelated cases who just can’t get access to care.

I realise that Ireland’s approach may be somewhat ambitious and maybe it won’t work, but I would rather try than just fatalistically sit on our collective rears, worrying about money and while a huge % of our loved ones get this and may not make it.

We need to delay this as long as we possibly can to allow time to get drugs that actually work.

If we get repurposed drugs eg immunomodulatory medications that prevent the lung damage a % experience, then we have a pandemic that we can hope to manage and it becomes a disease that we can probably cope with.

At the moment we have no tools other than old fashioned belt, braces, ventilators and scrubbing nursing type medicine.

A vaccine will probably arrive but it’s still going to take time.

So everything needs to be about delaying spread.

Herd immunity by mass infection seems frankly insane public policy and needs to be called out for what it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Most will be in the pubs all evening and night, pissed hugging each other etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

https://mobile.twitter.com/RuthCoppingerSP/status/1238606375439290368/photo/1

Don’t know what to think. Reckless or just sort of realistic, the tone is very authoritarian though. It depends who it’s aimed at, some 18 year olds who are just using the job for pocket money, can get it. I would have used the opportunity to try bail for a few weeks back then if I was forced to work by my mum and dad. But if it’s aimed at foreign workers or people who the job is a full time gig, it’s tone is appalling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

jojofizzio wrote: »
    See Coventry on Sky news saying the UK wasn’t included in the advisory he gave last night....first I heard of it....cancelled my flight this morning because of what he said last night....
    Edit....I see now he said EU states...the UK brown-nosing here is staggering though....

Who is Coventry? The UK older population looks like they could be sent to Coventry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement