Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

The UK experts don't seem to fully understand that children are vectors for the spread rather than being endandered themselves.

The chief medical officer said there was no need to close schools becauses children weren't in danger. He ignored the fact they can carry and spread it asymptomatically.

The UK will be added to the US travel ban if they don't change approach.

They do understand, they know that children will spread it quicker. They shouldn’t be visiting the grandparents though, or they’ll kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

What are people supposed to do? Just randomly just stay at home with no signs of symptoms? It’s just not in human nature to do that,

People seem to happy to laze about at home for whole days watching Netflix binges when it suits them. But ask them to stay at home to protect the old and vunerable and no can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Xertz wrote: »
    The problem with this herd immunity idea is it’s more abstract theory from the Tories. The practical realities of it is that it could kill a huge number of people and utterly swamp the NHS which, would cause the deaths of a hell of a lot more unrelated cases who just can’t get access to care.

I realise that Ireland’s approach may be somewhat ambitious and maybe it won’t work, but I would rather try than just fatalistically sit on our collective rears, worrying about money and while a huge % of our loved ones get this and may not make it.

We need to delay this as long as we possibly can to allow time to get drugs that actually work.

If we get repurposed drugs eg immunomodulatory medications that prevent the lung damage a % experience, then we have a pandemic that we can hope to manage and it becomes a disease that we can probably cope with.

At the moment we have no tools other than old fashioned belt, braces, ventilators and scrubbing nursing type medicine.

A vaccine will probably arrive but it’s still going to take time.

So everything needs to be about delaying spread.

Herd immunity by mass infection seems frankly insane public policy and needs to be called out for what it is.

An economic decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Spain about to be closed, so that'll please the poster at the start of this thread (this iteration!) who's boss was off on holiday.

Reuters report 10 more deaths in UK so far today

Go way will ya, so much self praise and disdain for everybody else. You never got your ego in check obviously

Haha..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Arlene will be closing schools for 16weeks whenever she gets the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

When are the Cheltenham crew due back? Today? They should all be locked in a room with no windows and doors upon return, and be let suffocate by the smell of their own Guinness farts

I've two friends that came back yesterday evening from Cheltenham. They sought out the HSE staff in the airport who told them to continue as normal but watch out for symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

My own parents in their 60s are travelling to England this weekend for my grandfather's 92nd birthday. I begged and begged them not to go, and begged my grandparents to cancel the thing, but they just don't get it.

It's infuriating how people just don't get it. They think I'm overreacting for refusing to go.

Well they probably get it but not the full scope of it. I think the UK not doing something similar to us isn't helping us because people look across as the uk and the number of cases they have and what they aren't doing and think maybe we've jumped the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

No new cases for two days now in cluster in the Veneto town of Vó.

Lockdown is working.

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/03/14/news/coronavirus_italia_14_marzo_2020-251241844/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I250988111-C12-P3-S1.8-T1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

its seems we are 8 weeks away from the peak in Europe, probably 12 weeks from the peak in the USA, it will hit the USA a lot harder due to their shared/common language and travel customs, the virus will spread like wild fire

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Akrasia wrote: »
    If someone is tested as negative, then they do not need to avoid their elderly relatives when their symptoms ease, but if they are tested as positive, then they definitely should avoid contact with any vulnerable people until they are advised that they are clear of the disease.

There are a lot of people out there caring for elderly relatives, not full time carers, but checking in on them every day, and for them getting tested is important.
    No. If in contact with a confirmed one can only be only be confident of a negative test result when that test is applied 14 days after initial contact. A negative test result means that the virus is shedding at too low a concentration to yield a positive result.
    1% of those testing negative on day 14 have turn out to be contagious at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,173 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

UK
    Ten more deaths just breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

10 more deaths reported in uk breaking on sky news 21 now.rip to them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

nthclare wrote: »
    Luckily for me, I am a bit of a lone wolf and tend to roam hills and cliff walks etc and have 4 good friends amongst maybe 10 others where we are not too close but frequently we go fishing, hiking and surfing together.

But we're all a bid odd anyhow, maybe misfits as in don't conform to herd mentality and all non drinkers or druggers so we're not going to be socially effected by lack of contact.
    We thrive on solitude and the great outdoors.

We now and again have really deep conversations about what would happen if there was a shutdown or we had a virus in our midst.

We'd not suffer through lack of human interaction etc

Its the jocks and gannets I have concern about, the self proclaimed middle classes who have no coping skills unless they're out necking beer, wine or a few lines of coke to be able to fit in and be accepted and validated by their peers.

They're the people who could crack during this, and more liable to spread the virus than most people.

Walked past a well known bar in ennis yesterday evening and the usual local self absorbed Clare celebs and good looking guys and women in their huddle inside drinking and not a care in the world.
    I hope they will be safe and sound but knowing some of their self indulgent habits they'll more than likely be in the thick of it and demanding special treatment and walk over anyone to get what they want.
    The don't realise that viruses dont discriminate but when its too late they'll be off their heads with anxiety.

How do I know?

Because I was once like them, I thought like them, behaved like them, that feeling of insecurity and egotistical self indulgence takes years to recover from thats for sure.

17 years off the hooch and away from the dick heads and gannets, if this was 2003 id be out there drinking and being full of **** like the pint men driving Audis and vino Mini Cooper wrecks.

When disaster strikes better to be a nobody rather wanting to be a somebody.

Clare Celebs :rolleyes: wow

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Police currently clearing the beaches in Spain, you know it is serious when you see that!

Could be the Bikini Inspection Police.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Sky news reporting 10 extra deaths in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Isn’t this what Boris wants ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

fr336 wrote: »
    People seem to happy to laze about at home for whole days watching Netflix binges when it suits them. But ask them to stay at home to protect the old and vunerable and no can do.

Lots of oldies out and about in the shops and cafes these last couple of days. If those most at risk don't want to isolate themselves why should younger people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

We may finally see the collapse of the parasite that is capitalism. The glorious dawn of communism is upon us.

Boris will burn at the ballot box for doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

#Cummingscull kicking in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

ITman88 wrote: »
    Possibly a world war.
    People starving and dying as what happens now in 3rd world countries happening then in 1st world countries.
    Russian Migs intercepted twice in one day in Irish airspace recently. Jets from RAF intercepted them, not much about it tho.
    No many on this thread I from what I’ve read will cope with the real horror that’s coming.
    A reversal of fortunes where Asia will be the superpower is very likely and Europe resembles sub Saharan Africa

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised by a global conflict, but I would be simultaneously. It makes absolutely no sense to enter into a war scenario, it will annihilate the economy further and create a whole host of logistical and civic issues not to mention environmental that could be avoided in a comparable manner to not putting your hand in fire. However it appears certain governments e.g. The Tories enjoy putting their hands in the fire...repeatedly...without anything learned from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'm surprised by the UK not ambitiously attempting containment. Seems like they just given up even though the number of testing so far would imply that community transmission throughout the country is much lower than in continental Europe. Like Ireland, only about 2% of tests come back positive. In many EUropean countries 10-15% of tests are coming back positive, so obviously containment is beyond possible there anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

oopsies wrote: »
    I've two friends that came back yesterday evening from Cheltenham. They sought out the HSE staff in the airport who told them to continue as normal but watch out for symptoms.

For fcuk sake

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Go way will ya, so much self praise and disdain for everybody else. You never got your ego in check obviously

You weren't there, maaaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Lots of oldies out and about in the shops and cafes these last couple of days. If those most at risk don't want to isolate themselves why should younger people?

True. Go over and cough all over them. It's your duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

harr wrote: »
    Isn’t this what Boris wants ?

I don't think he said he wanted this, he said it was what wouldn't happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

At least I admit my character defects and thanks for your input. Better to have a deflated ego rather an inflated one like yourself.

Dont worry I'm well away from the likes of people like yourself.
    Youre probably one of the the dick heads I was once upon a time.
    Hell yea were probably both dick heads.
    Better to be a dick head and safe rather than a dickhead in ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

Got a power walk in early this morning to avoid people and ended up in Cork City Centre. There was a gang of late teen/early twenties knackers screaming and shouting at people, running in front of buses, cars and generally acting like d1cks.
    I spotted a squad car driving alongside them (and initially thought yerra, they'll just drive by but no!) Paddy wagon pulls up as well as squad car and the Gardai were all over the little fcukers.
    Fair play to them.
    Of course there were lads sitting out having pints at 9:30 this am... WTF is wrong with people?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Boris will burn at the ballot box for doing nothing.

Doubt 2020 events will overly affect a 2024 Election.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement