Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,613 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Town seems busy enough Today.
    The odd few extra in buying extra probally.
    Loads of people having coffee and collecting cakes, going dress gift shopping, etc.
    People seem chilled about it. They are concerned about elderly and people with underlying conditions but apart from that nobody. The attitude is stay away from those people and wash hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

delly wrote: »
    One thing I've learned already is how versatile our mighty spud is. I bought one of the big bags a couple of weeks back and just used the last of it. Chips, crisps, soup, as well as the regular baked and mashed. It has to be the most cost effective €7 I've spent, but I just couldn't be bothered up to now.

Gotta love the fact that Tayto lover liked this post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

But what about the HSE's home support package for elderly people? Isn't this going to have to be suspended at some point? Carers going into people's house looking after the elderly could spread infection. Does the HSE have a plan B here?

You could say the same for all healthcare staff,hospital andCommunity- based....if you suspect that they could all be carriers and should stay at home,then who staffs the health service??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭rob316

cloudatlas wrote: »
    There is more chat on here about what the uk are doing than Ireland. Perhaps because we have no idea what our government are doing and it’s a case of ‘look over there not here’.

More because its in stark contrast to what the rest of the world is doing. There is merit to the herd immunity theory but its a dangerous game when we know little about this virus still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

An economic decision.

And one which may be a false economy if it caused the U.K. to go into a complete meltdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Almost 25% of the deaths have been in Italy...the death rate overall which is really low anyway would be much lower only for the fact that there are alot of elderly people in that country

Anybody else here with elderly parent(s) who have a (potentially infected) carer coming in in the morning as part of the HSE's home support package? This is a huge issue for many and needs guidance from the HSE on what to do going forward......

Scotty # wrote: »
    Get themselves tested? This isn't diabetes! You can't just 'get yourself tested'.

The reason 'high profile' people are more susceptible is because they interact with more strangers each day than most people.

Had this convo last night with the hubby.

We came to the conclusion that high profile people would probably travel in first/business class and would be in airport lounges alongside other people who may travel to many parts of the world for business. These people could cross the globe twice a week.

Sorry, I’ve jumped a few hours worth of posts again so this may have already been suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

The 10 who died in last 24 hours were 70+ years all had underlying medical conditions.

People having a pop at the UK policy are probably holders of a PhD in viral transmission I assume.

(nobody knows which policy is right at the moment - if there is a right one)

You don't need a 'PhD in viral transmission' to know they are following a different plan to the rest of the world. They are working on the basis of a theory. High risk high reward - generally you don't gamble with the lives of a population of a country ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Loads of people having coffee and collecting cakes, going dress gift shopping, etc.
    People seem chilled about it. They are concerned about elderly and people with underlying conditions but apart from that nobody. The attitude is stay away from those people and wash hands.
    The panic is online and media frenzy. If I had never got word of the Italian ICU’s then I would have just looked over this whole thing. Then I went down the rabbit hole and here I am, 6 days later.
    I was a bit panic stricken for a bit but as soon as I went out in the real world, I realized I barely see any old people, I’ll be mindful about coming into contact with any, Ill be smart about my movements and just act in a civilized aware way. Going into lockdown is a waste or time and will kill the economy

We will know the measures were overboard because nobody listened. And I’m convinced we won’t see anything of the sort that was coming from a few units in Italy. People are going to die. But we are all going to die. That’s what happens when you get old. Infections get you. That’s why we don’t have 100 billion people on the planet. It’s just life. And don’t misinterpret me, I value life and as value these old people. I value the vulnerable people. But they are always at risk. This is just another variable. I’m not some libertarian **** society, big business or bust types but the economy matters. And we have to weight up the pros and cons of acting irrationally in the face of such events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Steer55 wrote: »
    Spain to be put in full lock down from 8am on Monday.

What's the link to that press conference. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Steer55 wrote: »
    Spain to be put in full lock down from 8am on Monday.

We should be doing the same here.
    Imagine the numbers of people who will be cramming the pubs in my area, Dundalk, on St. Patrick’s Day and many from the North where they are taking little or no precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The 10 who died in last 24 hours were 70+ years all had underlying medical conditions.

People having a pop at the UK policy are probably holders of a PhD in viral transmission I assume.

(nobody knows which policy is right at the moment - if there is a right one)
    Everyone who is in their 70s has underlying medical conditions, every single one of them. My grandmother is riddled with arthritis since she was in her 60s, but she's 94 now, in great spirits, other than her joints, she's healthy, she's beloved by all of her family and we'd love to get a few more years out of her.

There are humans beneath these statistics you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The argument not to close schools sounds totally stupid. "Kids will socializing anyway " most kids hang around in small ish groups, many in ones and twos . when in school they are surrounded by about 30 in each class up to 100s in the same school. I understand parents having to take time off is an issue. But that also helps reduce contact of even more people

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well hopefully one good thing out of all of this will be people washing your hands and realising that washing your hands properly benefits not just you but people around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

nthclare wrote: »
    Luckily for me, I am a bit of a lone wolf and tend to roam hills and cliff walks etc and have 4 good friends amongst maybe 10 others where we are not too close but frequently we go fishing, hiking and surfing together.

But we're all a bid odd anyhow, maybe misfits as in don't conform to herd mentality and all non drinkers or druggers so we're not going to be socially effected by lack of contact.
    We thrive on solitude and the great outdoors.

We now and again have really deep conversations about what would happen if there was a shutdown or we had a virus in our midst.

We'd not suffer through lack of human interaction etc

Its the jocks and gannets I have concern about, the self proclaimed middle classes who have no coping skills unless they're out necking beer, wine or a few lines of coke to be able to fit in and be accepted and validated by their peers.

They're the people who could crack during this, and more liable to spread the virus than most people.

Walked past a well known bar in ennis yesterday evening and the usual local self absorbed Clare celebs and good looking guys and women in their huddle inside drinking and not a care in the world.
    I hope they will be safe and sound but knowing some of their self indulgent habits they'll more than likely be in the thick of it and demanding special treatment and walk over anyone to get what they want.
    The don't realise that viruses dont discriminate but when its too late they'll be off their heads with anxiety.

How do I know?

Because I was once like them, I thought like them, behaved like them, that feeling of insecurity and egotistical self indulgence takes years to recover from thats for sure.

17 years off the hooch and away from the dick heads and gannets, if this was 2003 id be out there drinking and being full of **** like the pint men driving Audis and vino Mini Cooper wrecks.

When disaster strikes better to be a nobody rather wanting to be a somebody.

Did you hear the one about the bloke who went to AA and came out a preachy, Narcissistic, Self absorbed A$$hole?

(So much judgement and negativity towards people)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'm really glad to hear your group will cope well. My partner and I are saving for a mortgage so we've put the social life to one side anyway for the last six months. Partner is currently out of work but at least we have cashflow from my salaries and even fewer outgoings than usual (cancelled all the unnecessary subscriptions too, Netflix, Spotify etc). We don't really do drugs and we're rationing the bit of drink we have so we're actually taking it in our element and not getting too bogged down with the depressing aspects of it. I'm sure there'll be plenty more misery down the line but we'll just handle that as it comes. It's good to have a support network, I hope yourself and your buddies keep in touch regularly.

My parents are older, I've been making sure to keep them briefed on the situation. There was a time they weren't taking it as seriously as they should have been, but they're on full lock-down now. They care for my adult brother, who has special needs. After two decades of minding him and not being able to go out, losing a lot of their 'friends' (people can be very uncomfortable if things get too "real" in someone else's life), they're looking at the kind of people that you mentioned with a lot of empathy, because they remember what a shock to the system it was losing their freedom and being limited by circumstances.

I did also find out that my mother went and babysat for my sister on Wednesday... my nephew goes to a school right next to CUH. I wrote out a full on death threat to my sister in a message telling her NOT to put our mother at risk like that and then didn't send it, called her and spoke to her civilly. It's very hard not to react with intensity when the lives of people you love are on the line and NOBODY WILL LISTEN TO You! I'm quite sure though after this weekend the situation will become glaringly apparent to all but the most ignorant.

On another note, my sister in the Netherlands says she's "probably already had it" and is still sending her 3 year old into creche, putting her elderly Dutch mother in law at risk. They are only testing severe cases over there. I don't know how people aren't keeping themselves informed, I just think they have absolutely no clue the immensity of this and just want to maintain their own "normality", even at the risk of losing everything.

My selfish post seemed to trigger a lot of people but I'm quite content with my decision to post it.

It shows that they didn't see the part where I hoped they'll be ok, the gannets and jocks etc
    They're just doing what they know best in any situation, drinking and huddling in a pandemic.

Hopefully your family in Holland will be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Serious suggestion but could we facilitate some kind of more serious online social interaction? I mean like online gigs, online virtual pubs - for the first time in history we have the tools to do all of this.

Being at home doesn’t mean being completely cut off.

Big move from Vietnam on top of stopping visas. Everyone arriving from Europe and the US will be tested and must test negative to get into the country. The way I'm reading it is that it applies to Vietnamese people as well.

Makes sense. All four cases here today are from Europe. Three Vietnamese citizens returning and a Czech man.

Anybody else here with elderly parent(s) who have a (potentially infected) carer coming in in the morning as part of the HSE's home support package? This is a huge issue for many and needs guidance from the HSE on what to do going forward......

I have carers come to my dad 3 times a day. They’ve lifted the employment embargo so that they’ll be staff on hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

rob316 wrote: »
    More because its in stark contrast to what the rest of the world is doing. There is merit to the herd immunity theory but its a dangerous game when we know little about this virus still.

Ireland hasn’t locked down yet either so in theory at present they are also doing herd immunity whether they say so or not the mistake seems to be that the uk has been transparent with it’s citizens about exactly what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Boris will burn at the ballot box for doing nothing.

Why are no opposition leaders coming out questioning it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's almost as if the protecting the economy is more important than the living to Boris and his Government. i bet there are a select few of his supporters who would not mourn the elderly dying off, if it would ease the burden on the UK economy. The very same people who don't really care about the harsh realities of austerity cuts, because they are alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Did you hear the one about the bloke who went to AA and came out a preachy, Narcissistic, Self absorbed A$$hole?

(So much judgement and negativity towards people)

I don't go to AA or any meetings im a lone wolf as I said some of us who were heavy drinkers dont frequent 12 step programs or believe in God

Not for me as I'm not into the narcissistic gaslighting route to recovery but it sounds like you know a lot more about AA than me.

Tuche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Akrasia wrote: »
    Everyone who is in their 70s has underlying medical conditions, every single one of them. My grandmother is riddled with arthritis since she was in her 60s, but she's 94 now, in great spirits, other than her joints, she's healthy, she's beloved by all of her family and we'd love to get a few more years out of her.

Don't take that tone with me, I simply wrote down the facts of the matter as they were heard in my left ear.

And citing your grandmother is a rather low blow, I'm sure she'll be thrilled to be cited in the argument against my post.

I speak as a type 1 diabetic and therefore at greater risk, but not a natural hysteric

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ellsbells1 wrote: »
    Do you really? It’s very scary times. Anybody else any opinions on how long the kids will be off school? Our numbers went down on yesterday but are they about to jump now that anyone can be tested?

I would say til after the Easter break at least.I don't see it happening until September.
    Cheltenham will be the big test one way or the other I reckon.If that doesn't cause a disproportionately large jump in numbers, we may have some hope of containing it.I think we made a decision early, at a good time.But I also think it needs to be made much much clearer to people that they need to basically sit at home for 14 days for this to work, bar going out for necessities, or maybe outings to wide spaces like beaches ,parks etc if they need air.It's no good if there are loads of people in crowding shopping centres and playgrounds up.That will achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don't think he said he wanted this, he said it was what wouldn't happen.

Maybe Borris's strategy is to GET COVID 19 DONE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Almost 25% of the deaths have been in Italy...the death rate overall which is really low anyway would be much lower only for the fact that there are alot of elderly people in that country

Death rate as of today is 6.96%. I wouldn't call that low.
    Italy is contributing to it by not being able to accommodate all the sick people in hospital, nothing to do with population being older. People are being left at home dying.
    Once it hits full swing here we will get a clearer picture of what this means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Arlene Foster reiterating her stance on not closing schools yet, she said when the time is right, they will close for 16 weeks on advice from the CMO in the north. One would wonder what the implications are for students up there sitting GCSE/A-Levels if thats the case and if a similar approach would be taken here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Akrasia wrote: »

I don’t think anyone is saying because older people are affected more that it doesn’t matter. I’d rather have a disease that a smaller percentage is more affected by than the entire population.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement