Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ITman88 wrote: »
    Possibly a world war.
    People starving and dying as what happens now in 3rd world countries happening then in 1st world countries.
    Russian Migs intercepted twice in one day in Irish airspace recently. Jets from RAF intercepted them, not much about it tho.
    No many on this thread I from what I’ve read will cope with the real horror that’s coming.
    A reversal of fortunes where Asia will be the superpower is very likely and Europe resembles sub Saharan Africa

The planes were made by Tupelov and were bombers, not MIGs (Mikoyan and Gurevich Design Bureau) who almost exclusively make fighters.

These sorts of intercepts happened regularly during the Cold War, and have been happening more recently with Putin's new found beligerence and probably showing off to his serfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Planes full of holidaymakers are being turned back mid flight from the UK to Spain today. Begs the question, on a scale of 1 to 10 how cretinously stupid are these people?. A few days later you would have seen the same people whinging on Sky News that they cannot leave their Spanish hotel rooms. Gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The 10 who died in last 24 hours were 70+ years all had underlying medical conditions.

On behalf of myself and all the other OAP’s on Boards may I thank you for lifting our spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The Dr on the Late Late was saying to open windows and cause an air movement . She said this help the virus to drop and not linger in the air .
    I wondered if by the same logic would we fare better living on a wild windy island ? Would our windy conditions be better than warm still air in Italy and Spain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

On behalf of myself and all the other OAP’s on Boards may I thank you for lifting our spirits.

Well it's a fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I refer you to my post a little above your one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Xertz wrote: »
    ...online virtual pubs...

Boards had one of those back in the day.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I was a bit panic stricken for a bit but as soon as I went out in the real world, I realized I barely see any old people, I’ll be mindful about coming into contact with any, Ill be smart about my movements and just act in a civilized aware way. Going into lockdown is a waste or time and will kill the economy

Do you really think that staying away from older people will keep you safe or was this meant to be a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,613 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I went into a take away earlier.
    Place was spotless.
    They were constantly cleaning it.
    I saw a phone left on a table.
    I said to the manager there's a phone on the table.
    He said it was his and everybody is afraid to touch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Planes full of holidaymakers are being turned back mid flight from the UK to Spain today. Begs the question, on a scale of 1 to 10 how cretinously stupid are these people?. A few days later you would have seen the same people whinging on Sky News that they cannot leave their Spanish hotel rooms. Gob****es.

I made the point earlier that the airlines were not helping with their refusal to refund any money.

An awful lot of people who recently travelled would likely not have done so if they could have cancelled and been refunded.

You can talk about personal responsibility, yes, but it's also tough decisions for people who have spent a lot of money on a holiday, saved up hard for it, and would lose everything they paid in addition to losing their holiday and annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I mean if I have the CV. I’ll be mindful that I could have it and may be putting them at risk. I’m sorry. It might seem heartless but these trade offs are a fact of life. Hospitals face such decisions everyday, maybe not on the scale but it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Don't take that tone with me, I simply wrote down the facts of the matter as they were heard in my left ear.

And citing your grandmother is a rather low blow, I'm sure she'll be thrilled to be cited in the argument against my post.

I speak as a type 1 diabetic and therefore at greater risk, but not a natural hysteric

It is the reality, those older people with underlying health issues are more at risk
    From the CDC
    Older people and people of all ages with severe underlying health conditions — like heart disease, lung disease and diabetes, for example — seem to be at higher risk of developing serious COVID-19 illness.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ETE56JZXgAE7o-Z?format=jpg&name=small

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Xertz wrote: »
    Serious suggestion but could we facilitate some kind of more serious online social interaction? I mean like online gigs, online virtual pubs - for the first time in history we have the tools to do all of this.

Being at home doesn’t mean being completely cut off.

Do you have kids, no?Have to say we do, and some of the online resources going around are brilliant.Not necessarily by the schools, but just suggestions from people.One guy on facebook in Cork is an artist for Marvel and is choosing a superhero character every day, providing printables, and challenging the children of Ireland to draw/colour that character, and photo or video their creation, and he will show them each day and pick a winner.Twinkl, an online resource used by teachers, is offering a free month's membership to all parents to access printables, games and resources for use at home.There are numerous small businesses on facebook offering online craft sessions for kids and the like.A local coffee shop near here is offering free takeaway coffee to all frontline services staff.I saw a men's group earlier offering online group chat sessions instead of the usual weekly meets. So many online offers from community groups, butchers, small shops, to help out the elderly, deliver food, ring them for a chat, and get them set up online so they are looked after. As with all things, there are some fantastic people out there, and there are little silver linings everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I went into a take away earlier.
    Place was spotless.
    They were constantly cleaning it.
    I saw a phone left on a table.
    I said to the manager there's a phone on the table.
    He said it was his and everybody is afraid to touch it.

Was the fact it was spotless a positive sign ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I made the point earlier that the airlines were not helping with their refusal to refund any money.

An awful lot of people who recently travelled would likely not have done so if they could have cancelled and been refunded.

You can talk about personal responsibility, yes, but it's also tough decisions for people who have spent a lot of money on a holiday, saved up hard for it, and would lose everything they paid in addition to losing their holiday and annual leave.

They will loose a lot more if they are stuck in a country or have the virus. It's incredibly stupid.

If you can afford the flights you can afford to lose the money.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The Dr on the Late Late was saying to open windows and cause an air movement . She said this help the virus to drop and not linger in the air .
    I wondered if by the same logic would we fare better living on a wild windy island ? Would our windy conditions be better than warm still air in Italy and Spain ?

When you said wild windy island I thought of Grace7. Could we all fit on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It's been an amazing week. Last Friday, I heard a media report about a suspected covid case at a client site. I emailed my team and told them to stay away until we know more. Turns out the suspected case was subsequently confirmed in a building we'd be operating in.

My director sent me an email and met with me, saying I can't be alarming staff. Roll forward a week and the same person meets me with a covid station, hand sanitizer, sign in book at our office. We are now working remotely wondering if we will have jobs to go back or if our company will even still be in business. What a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Iceland has a higher instance of infection than we do. Presumably windier than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

It's very unlikely. You catch the virus from being in contact with other infected people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm in southern Spain and I've three Ryanair flights for various days this week trying desperately to get home to my family.

I've a flight scheduled for tonight leaving Murcia International at 9.20pm local time. Worried it might be cancelled as it has to come over from Ireland with a full group of people and I'm hearing Spain have blocked all flights from entering :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Don't take that tone with me, I simply wrote down the facts of the matter as they were heard in my left ear.

And citing your grandmother is a rather low blow, I'm sure she'll be thrilled to be cited in the argument against my post.

I speak as a type 1 diabetic and therefore at greater risk, but not a natural hysteric

I used my grandmother as an example because I don't know your grandmother, although I'm sure she is/was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

spookwoman wrote: »
    It is the reality, those older people with underlying health issues are mot at rish
    From the CDC
    Older people and people of all ages with severe underlying health conditions — like heart disease, lung disease and diabetes, for example — seem to be at higher risk of developing serious COVID-19 illness.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html

Why are you telling me? I know that! I'm a diabetic, acutely aware of my own position in the scheme of things if it goes tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

When you said wild windy island I thought of Grace7. Could we all fit on it?

Lol . Well I am in Dublin and the wind is whistling down the chimney here

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Was the fact it was spotless a positive sign ?

Well it's normally clean but this time it was just extra clean. It was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Airlines are businesses. They have terms and conditions. They are under no obligation to refund. People should put the health of themselves, their families and society ahead of the almighty Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I wonder should we pensioners have our own thread where we can pass the time before we all slowly disappear in to a statistic? You'd swear life was already over anyway for anybody over 60 going by some posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The 10 who died in last 24 hours were 70+ years all had underlying medical conditions.

People having a pop at the UK policy are probably holders of a PhD in viral transmission I assume.

(nobody knows which policy is right at the moment - if there is a right one)

We have a good idea considering China have effectively contained the disease and are beginning to return to normality. South Korea are on that path as well. Neither country will even reach 1% of the population infected.

Lockdowns work, we have the evidence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement