Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Tippex wrote: »
    They are likely concious of the blow back to politicising it.
    There is far too little action being taken by those who have the power to influence these things. They're probably in self isolation. Genuinely. I speculated earlier that many people in positions of power were likely given the heads up by their security, risk analysis companies. Can't explain Tom Hanks in that one, but I guess maybe it's just worse than those responsible for him predicted. All the footballers really need to look at how their clubs put them directly in the firing line and ruined their future careers (lung damage would prevent them from ever playing again).
    https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/news/coronavirus-ct-scans/

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-recovery-damage-lung-function-gasping-air-hong-kong-doctors-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

It would explain why there are very few celebrities trying to attach their names to it and get in the limelight.

Xertz wrote: »
    Serious suggestion but could we facilitate some kind of more serious online social interaction? I mean like online gigs, online virtual pubs - for the first time in history we have the tools to do all of this.

Being at home doesn’t mean being completely cut off.

Virtual pub, 22 minutes in. :D

A friend rang earlier saying that they got weed today from their dealer. Being in Cork, she's worried to smoke it in case he touched it and is infected. She was wondering if I had any evidence on how long it might live on organic material or if burning would destroy it. She sounds like she could really use a smoke. I don't have a clue what to tell her and could find no concrete evidence to give me an idea of what to advise her. You can't really spray it with disinfectant. You could freeze it for a few days maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Might be best to avoid someone returning from Cheltenham for a week? A lot of us will know a few lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,456 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ever think of buying a lotto ticket ?

Likely win, and then on way to collect, bird flies overhead, spots ticket, swoops down and grabs it. Flies off to eat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

joe40 wrote: »
    Much as this pains me to say I think the British approach has some merit. I can't stand Johnson or the Tories but this is coming from their chief medical officer and his colleagues.
    Our approach is also temporary. A shut down cannot be permanent, and this virus is not going away. We will have to function as a society while simultaneously deal with covid 19.
    A vaccine is also a long way off.
    Ultimately though my opinion means nothing I will follow the advice of scientist in this country. My feeling is we need to either do full shutdown for a few weeks pubs clubs etc not just school to slow it down. But I also feel there is no stopping it.

Other countries have those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

But how long can a lockdown last ? what is the plan ?

Ideally it would be till a vaccine is available , but thats over 1 year away.
    So people need to stay indoors till then ???

crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I lived through the NI troubles.
    I was in 3 different towns when bombs went off and killed people.
    My car was hit by bullets when passing through a checkpoint near Newry.
    I was in Dundalk in 1975 buying a pair of shoes when a bomb went off killing two people about 100 yards from me.
    I was kicked by a horse in a very sore spot,nearly gored by a bull once but jumped the gate just in time.
    I survived a very bad fatal car crash.
    I’m worse than Kate Adie was.

No Feckin virus is going to get the better of me now.

Waaaait..... if you survived all that... does it mean that you had something to do with all of those things? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Terrible policy in UK. No surprise then.

Thing is, their current policy won't actually show the effects until about two weeks from now.

That is the real terrifying thing.

4 weeks behind Italy my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Strazdas wrote: »
    I assume the full press conference will go ahead with the media in attendance (it's an emergency situation after all).

It didn't last weekend. We were just given the numbers which I expect will be the same today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

The announcement by Leo Varadkar isnt going to be enough..

Full total shut down of the country is required.

Ive two friends, both their jobs are at risk now if there is no improvement by 29th March..

People are just not listening.. everyone can see it pubs, shops all busy.

Ive spoken to 3 people today alone who think its all just overblown hype..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I lived through the NI troubles.
    I was in 3 different towns when bombs went off and killed people.
    My car was hit by bullets when passing through a checkpoint near Newry.
    I was in Dundalk in 1975 buying a pair of shoes when a bomb went off killing two people about 100 yards from me.
    I was kicked by a horse in a very sore spot,nearly gored by a bull once but jumped the gate just in time.
    I survived a very bad fatal car crash.
    I’m worse than Kate Adie was.

No Feckin virus is going to get the better of me now.

7 down.
    2 to go;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

I posted earlier on the implications of a social isolation approach to tax revenues, and argued for a maintenance of retail social activity. However on further 'mature' reflection I have changed my opinion.

Whilst the tax revenue arguments are valid the argument for continued retail social activity seems no longer tenable with the current laissez faire approach to the return of the Cheltenham hoards, and the demonstrable lack of restraint or any concern for others by drinkers in city centre pubs.

But any closure of pubs needs to be preceded by closure of all forms of off-licence. The problem of domestic drinking sessions/parties remains and probably will do so until supplies run out. Unfortunately that's the point at which illegal alcohol suppliers will swing into action.

I was shopping in the city centre this morning about 10:30, and noticed a number of clusters of four or five people in their 20s standing close together passing round 'phones to laugh together at the videos, so much for social distancing.

The main problem with social isolation that the young have bought the meme that this only serious for the 'wrinklies'. What's needed is a very graphic visual campaign showing how victims in the 20-40 cohort have died together with portrayals of the lung damage suffered by that same cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,456 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Where’s Bono and Geldof when needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

embraer170 wrote: »
    Multiple confirmed cases in Kenmare? Have I missed something?

PM me if necessary.

PM Sent.

A friend rang earlier saying that they got weed today from their dealer. Being in Cork, she's worried to smoke it in case he touched it and is infected. She was wondering if I had any evidence on how long it might live on organic material or if burning would destroy it. She sounds like she could really use a smoke. I don't have a clue what to tell her and could find no concrete evidence to give me an idea of what to advise her. You can't really spray it with disinfectant. You could freeze it for a few days maybe?

Burning it would work. I mean that's what she was going to do with anyways, isn't it?

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Some ****ing low life stole the sanitizer and stuff from our work station in the Airport overnight... :mad:

Bastards!

Question- if I bought cheap baby wipes and squirted hand wash on my hands. Then cleansed my hands for 20-30 seconds. Would that be as good as hand sanitiser?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Problem is though what if any of the people calling in are infected but asymptomatic? Don't to frighten anyone here but I think its going to be an issue going forward. Many of these carers call to quite a few houses in the course of a day.
    And their hands are getting raw with all the washing/sanitising they do. Clearly they are taking all reasonable precautions, but ultimately they are in the front line are are as susceptible as anyone to infection and more exposed than most. Chances are if they do pick it up it will be diagnosed quickly and they can trace back through contacts.

Equally any of us could be spreading this without knowing we are infected. Some of us may already have had it and recovered but brushed it off as a "standard" winter bug

All we can do is take the recommended precautions to help mitigate the spread of this

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

walshb wrote: »

Oh no.. things are bad enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Shesty,

Who’s the artist on FB? My niece loves drawing and it could save my sister in law a few grey hairs in the coming weeks.

William Sliney.You will probably find it on google but it is definitely on his facebook page.He is calling it the #wewilldraw challenge.Today it's Star Wars characters :-) I think he may be setting up online line drawing and inking tutorials for kids too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

saabsaab wrote: »
    Might be best to avoid someone returning from Cheltenham for a week? A lot of us will know a few lads.

If there's any sense, they'll be widely avoided for a couple of weeks. Should all be TOLD to stay at home and anyone ignoring that treated like a pariah. Ditto for anyone coming in from abroad.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bastards!

Question- if I bought cheap baby wipes and squirted hand wash on my hands. Then cleansed my hands for 20-30 seconds. Would that be as good as hand sanitiser?
    Water and soap is supposed to be as good (if not better). Santitizer typically avoids the need for water

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

The government really needs to step in and put a price freeze on certain essential items, such as hand soap etc. which everyone in the country is going to need... I have no doubt supermarkets will start ramping up the prices on these items - if they haven't already - which is wrong when they're essential.

I think the government in singapore made it illegal to raise the prices of face masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Virus takes about 7 - 14 days to show and people saying UK's new policy is to blame :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

But how long can a lockdown last ? what is the plan ?

Ideally it would be till a vaccine is available , but thats over 1 year away.
    So people need to stay indoors till then ???

crazy.

No, probably as long as it takes to manage the infection rate.
    And expect antiviral treatments well ahead of a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Ninthlife wrote: »
    The announcement by Leo Varadkar isnt going to be enough..

Full total shut down of the country is required.

Ive two friends, both their jobs are at risk now if there is no improvement by 29th March..

People are just not listening.. everyone can see it pubs, shops all busy.

Ive spoken to 3 people today alone who think its all just overblown hype..

You think that we shutdown for couple weeks and it will be all sorted by 29th March

Not a hope. Consider your mates jobs gone pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

They are saying now on the news that the virus does not know what borders are:eek:

Hooter23 wrote: »
    They are saying now on the news that the virus does not know what borders are:eek:

Extraordinary deduction by the "experts". Next we'll hear that the virus is infectious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Let's hope Covid-19 gives your 'Lone Wolf' skill-set a hall pass.

(Ps. It’s ….Touché)

Sláinte ;)

Thanks for the heads up, I will be dabbling in the dark side and hopefully hell won't be my final destination yet.

Youll find me in a tent beside the wedge tomb up the commons in the Burren, there will be a pentagram surrounding me in hazelwood posts and trout and pike on spikes.

Hail Pazuzu and his fellow demons, ill banish the Abrahamic sand demon from these shores yet...

Namaste

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

walshb wrote: »

Sir Bob be saying it is not as bad as when he grew up. I'm sure Bono will be using his One annoying mouthpiece to encourage the common person to help their fellow neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Burning it would work. I mean that's what she was going to do with anyways, isn't it?
    Nah like because you're sucking the rest of it that's not on fire in towards your mouth. Doesn't seem clever to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

https://www.sciencealert.com/even-those-who-recover-from-corona-can-be-left-gasping-for-breath-afterwards

This is out of 12 patients.
    "Some patients might have around a drop of 20 to 30% in lung function" after full recovery, he said.

While it's too early to establish long-term effects of the disease, scans of nine patients' lungs also "found patterns similar to frosted glass in all of them, suggesting there was organ damage," Tsang said, according to the Post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement