Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Hooter23 wrote: »
    They are saying now on the news that the virus does not know what borders are:eek:

This horrible virus will destroy us all. It’s gaining sentience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ninthlife wrote: »
    The announcement by Leo Varadkar isnt going to be enough..

Full total shut down of the country is required.

Ive two friends, both their jobs are at risk now if there is no improvement by 29th March..

People are just not listening.. everyone can see it pubs, shops all busy.

Ive spoken to 3 people today alone who think its all just overblown hype..

We really need to close the pubs.Here was me in an almost empty supermarket last night doing my shopping with a few others, all keeping away from one another....drive home past a pub with 5 smokers outside, and a few other young lads heading in the door.Totally ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

When this blows over, I'm meeting you for a pint .
    You might be better off not standing to near him, or at least keep your eyes open.
    No offence tayto lover... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Bastards!

Question- if I bought cheap baby wipes and squirted hand wash on my hands. Then cleansed my hands for 20-30 seconds. Would that be as good as hand sanitiser?

Any type of soap, liquid soap or even washing up liquid applied vigorously to the hands will break down the virus i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's been very interesting how this has progressed from "and in other news...." to dominating every piece of media available to us.

I have an Irish Times subscription so it's easier for me to just use their archive, but I imagine you'll see a similar pattern on other news outlets.

January 22nd

You have to start somewhere. The business supplement will do. We're acting the bollix on the other side of the world and the stock market is getting a bit upset about things. Our first entry on Page 28. We'll be front page in no time, mark my words.

TM7FbIGl.png

January 23rd

Our first pun. We'll take that, even if it is a really shit one. Come on Joe, is this really what you aspired to when you studied to become a journa....oh right, I see....

What Joe has done here is an old journalist trick. He's already used the word bat, and every journalist knows you cant overuse the same word, so Joe consults his thesaurus and comes up with "...and the flying mammal..." for his next mention. Brilliant. By the end of this article, Joe is referring to them as winged-airborne-blind-pups.

Page 27 this time, however. That's progress.

iHHVKctl.png

January 25th

Still relegated to the business section, a reminder that we're still being a little fucker and some miserable bastards' pensions are at risk. For those of us without pensions? You're fucked anyway, we're just making sure you have plenty of company.

qcT4ygsl.png

We're going to fast forward a few days, as for now we're just languishing in the business supplement. We're not happy about that, but we have much more grandiose plans.

Oh, we did get a mention in the sports section when Mary Hannigan thought it appropriate to suugest a virus that has already killed a dozen people in China as a potential excuse for Mayo's shocking defending in a Gah match of some sort.

Cracking job Mary. Is there an Irish pulitzer prize?

Anyway, fast forward to...

February 1st

Now we're talking...

6WWrsWgl.png

We've jumped up to page 3. Brilliant, just what we wanted. That was almost too easy. Now we're where we rightfully bel....wait, what do you mean not the actual page 3? Ah shite, we're page 3 of the Weekend Review supplement, which is actual page 45. What a kick in the coronaballs. We're still just filler for opinion pieces and the quiz of the week. This isn't going as well as we thought it would.

February 4th

But wait, what's that - a sporting event, you say? Well, we have to start somewhere..

uOPl2RKl.png

It's not quite the Olympics or the Premier League (not yet mwahaha) but we'll take this notch on page 26.

Oh, and the column is called Different Strokes because it's about golf. Get it? Strokes! It's a golf word. Gas stuff altogether.

February 6th

Ah fuck it, we're back in the business pull-out...

LBslQfHl.png

Who the fuck is Cathy Pacific anyway and why won't she pay her staff?

We did well however to get a mention in the property section under an article about a Victorian end-of-terrace house in Monkstown. I shit you not.

February 7th

China starts to quarantine, and on the other side of the world we get rewarded with this Shakespearean headline...

onsbqSIl.png

Page 10, though. Niiiice.

Oh, we also feature in an article about Love Island titled "The Long History of Sexy Shenanigans". Someone at the Irish Times is desperately horny and in need of a ride before we get "It could be a long time before we have a Government. A long, hard, throbbing time..." type articles.

To be continued

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Might be best to avoid someone returning from Cheltenham for a week? A lot of us will know a few lads.

I usually avoid them anyway.

Nah like because you're sucking the rest of it that's not on fire in towards your mouth. Doesn't seem clever to me.

Why is she worried about this weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

It’s nowhere close to that, the virus I reckon was in Europe from maybe the end of December. There’s too much movement for it not to have been.Italys old population doomed it to a fairly undesirable faith. I wouldn’t use catastrophic given that it’s a natural death in sizable but not gigantic numbers. I really hope I’m right. Maybe not the case at all and I’ll be looking on in horror in 6 weeks time, I really hope not. Let’s hope.

And btw, in some cases deaths are just a statistic, we don’t lock down whole countries because people die from the flu. Btw honest question, is death by flu, cv19 a death by “natural causes”?
    It's a new virus so we don't know what to expect from it's mutations.
    It could get more lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

You think that we shutdown for couple weeks and it will be all sorted by 29th March

Not a hope. Consider your mates jobs gone pal.

Not what I meant and both are aware their jobs are toast. This isnt going anywhere soon but in order for health services to have a chance people need to observe whats being asked of them.

But pints are more important i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭threeball

JoChervil wrote: »
    Not sure, if this was mentioned here (this thread is going to fast to read all), but it was an article in Lancet published 3 days ago. I can't attach link (I am a newbie), but google: Lancet and 191 patients, so you will have it.

To summarise it: the most important contributor to the death is blood clothing.
    From this article: " About 90% of inpatients with pneumonia had increased coagulation activity, marked by increased d-dimer concentrations.25 In this study, we found d-dimer greater than 1 μg/mL is associated with fatal outcome of COVID-19. High levels of d-dimer have a reported association with 28-day mortality in patients with infection or sepsis identified in the emergency department.26 Contributory mechanisms include systemic pro-inflammatory cytokine responses that are mediators of atherosclerosis directly contributing to plaque rupture through local inflammation, induction of procoagulant factors, and haemodynamic changes, which predispose to ischaemia and thrombosis".

So maybe thinning the blood would help to avoid serious outcome?

No a cytokine storm is where your immune system has an aggressive reaction to a foreign invader. It becomes so vigorous that cells it attack can actually explode and acting almost like a poison within the body. The reaction needs to be dampened down.

It's also one of the main problems in the new cancer treatments that usr the immune system to attack cancer cells. The engineering cells are do numerous and vigorous in attacking the cancer they almost become too successful and the destroyed cells cause inflammation in sensitive organs like the lungs and liver. Thankfully they're getting a hold on that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

My housemate brother is over in British Columbia. They tested every student before lockdown for the coronavirus. Don't know elsewhere in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bastards!

Question- if I bought cheap baby wipes and squirted hand wash on my hands. Then cleansed my hands for 20-30 seconds. Would that be as good as hand sanitiser?

Ordinary soap works. The lipids in soap breaks down the outer membrane of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,937 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But how long can a lockdown last ? what is the plan ?

Ideally it would be till a vaccine is available , but thats over 1 year away.
    So people need to stay indoors till then ???

crazy.

No, it's an emergency measure to slow virus spread. They reckon a lockdown is sustainable for 4 weeks (6 weeks max) and then they have to lift it again no matter what.

You simply couldn't shut down a country and society for 3 or 6 months. The drawbacks would outweigh the worst of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

dan786 wrote: »
    Boris needs to take the the big decisions now and let the economy take a hit...

Ten more people have died after being diagnosed with coronavirus, with 1,140 cases now confirmed in the UK. It brings the total number those who died after being diagnosed with coronavirus to 21 in the UK.

UK total of 1,140 is approx 17 per million of population.

Rep of Ireland total of 90 is approx 18 per million of population.

Pretty much even. Let's hope our strategy is right and our acceleration doesn't continue to equal the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ordinary soap works. The lipids in soap breaks down the outer membrane of the virus.

Exactly because the membrane is like grease or fat, soap washing up liquid obliterates the membrane.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

nthclare wrote: »
    Luckily for me, I am a bit of a lone wolf and tend to roam hills and cliff walks etc and have 4 good friends amongst maybe 10 others where we are not too close but frequently we go fishing, hiking and surfing together.

But we're all a bid odd anyhow, maybe misfits as in don't conform to herd mentality and all non drinkers or druggers so we're not going to be socially effected by lack of contact.
    We thrive on solitude and the great outdoors.

My total solitude and isolation is for several reasons but mostly health issues intensifying a natural seeking of aloneness.

Last time I was actually with someone was last Advent when a kind neighbour drove me to the church to set up Advent. ie December 2019. Before that not sure. One of two visitors stopped by the house. Always behind the gate

But the last years and why I am here on an offshore island is a lot that my immune system is down and with CFS/ME a simple cold is dangerous. And at my advanced age also.

I am happy out here alone. Well with my cats... and safe. No need for handwashing all the time as no one here. My supplies are delivered etc.

If you are not used to being alone it is different and harder. And the stress of this situation will make it harder. So be easy on you. Do things alone that you can only do alone..Make full use of the internet which dilutes solitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just heard a big pub in Limerick city let go 20+ part staff as of today. And expects to be closing from Monday due to Covid19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ninthlife wrote: »
    The announcement by Leo Varadkar isnt going to be enough..

Full total shut down of the country is required.

Ive two friends, both their jobs are at risk now if there is no improvement by 29th March..

People are just not listening.. everyone can see it pubs, shops all busy.

Ive spoken to 3 people today alone who think its all just overblown hype..

Completely lock down the country.
    What does that mean exactly?

My other housemate is using lab based latex gloves when preparing and cooking food. Also when washing his dishes. Ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Hooter23 wrote: »
    They are saying now on the news that the virus does not know what borders are:eek:

Diplomatic Immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You’d be very lonely on that beach.

Alone perhaps but definitely not lonely.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Bastards!

Use soap, it's more effective than hand sanitizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

walshb wrote: »
    Where’s Bono and Geldof when needed?

bono is counting his shekels in Holland

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Was impressed with my local SuperValu this morning. Big signs up and wipes provided to "wipe your hands and trolley before entering". Ofc a good minority of gob****es waltzing straight through. I gave the evil eye to one man and his son. He saw me and ignored me. The bastard.

Beasty wrote: »
    And their hands are getting raw with all the washing/sanitising they do. Clearly they are taking all reasonable precautions, but ultimately they are in the front line are are as susceptible as anyone to infection and more exposed than most. Chances are if they do pick it up it will be diagnosed quickly and they can trace back through contacts.

Equally any of us could be spreading this without knowing we are infected. Some of us may already have had it and recovered but brushed it off as a "standard" winter bug

All we can do is take the recommended precautions to help mitigate the spread of this

Cheers Beasty. My mam has a carer coming in in the morning. I think the service may be suspended at some stage, but then what happens to those on their own completely unless the HSE have some other plan at this stage? I hope they do.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Friend works for an electrical retailer and he was saying they have run out of freezers as have a lot of other stores , it seems chest freezers are replacing jacks roll as the must have panic buy item.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Just heard a big pub in Limerick city let go 20+ part staff as of today. And expects to be closing from Monday due to Covid19

Smyths?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I lived through the NI troubles.
    I was in 3 different towns when bombs went off and killed people.
    My car was hit by bullets when passing through a checkpoint near Newry.
    I was in Dundalk in 1975 buying a pair of shoes when a bomb went off killing two people about 100 yards from me.
    I was kicked by a horse in a very sore spot,nearly gored by a bull once but jumped the gate just in time.
    I survived a very bad fatal car crash.
    I’m worse than Kate Adie was.

No Feckin virus is going to get the better of me now.
    Thats some list of close encounters you have there.

If you believe in the 'Many worlds' interpretation of quantum physics,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation then every time there is a time where you could have died and could have survived, in some worlds you died, and in other worlds you survive, the dead versions of you are too dead to notice being dead, and the surviving ones get to thank their lucky stars that they survived

The mad thing about this is that as long as there is even a tiny chance that you will survive any near death experience, at least some worlds will exist with a surviver in it so every single one of us, has at least one universe where we are 110 years old having survived multiple near death experiences, each survival getting more and more unlkiely, verging on miraculous each time.

All of this means that the Many Worlds theory is a load of bollox, but it's still fun to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

I lived through the NI troubles.
    I was in 3 different towns when bombs went off and killed people.
    My car was hit by bullets when passing through a checkpoint near Newry.
    I was in Dundalk in 1975 buying a pair of shoes when a bomb went off killing two people about 100 yards from me.
    I was kicked by a horse in a very sore spot,nearly gored by a bull once but jumped the gate just in time.
    I survived a very bad fatal car crash.
    I’m worse than Kate Adie was.

No Feckin virus is going to get the better of me now.

You should do a Tayto Talk.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

YFlyer wrote: »
    I'm sure Bono will be using his One annoying mouthpiece to encourage the common person to help their fellow neighbour.

All he has to do is change the One chorus to:
    1 metre, 1 arms length, 1 seat space.

Him and grumpy Bob should launch LiveAid v2/3. Get about 100,000 packed into Wembely and sing songs to contain this awful flu. What could go wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement