Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

tails_naf wrote: »
    Use soap, it's more effective than hand sanitizer.

Yes but they will need to wait for it to rain heavily to get a good proper lather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Completely lock down the country.
    What does that mean exactly?

What do you think it means?

Only essential emergency services operate

Its bound to happen and dont think its not being planned for either

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

YFlyer wrote: »
    I was in Aldi Dublin road Limerick. Can see using the baskets and trolleys could be a means of spreading the virus. Would have been nice if there was some alcohol disinfectant at the door coming in.

Nearly everyone in our local Aldi and Lidl had brought their own gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Another baby boom is on the way here due to the equation = more time at home+ condom stock untouch at every supermarket....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Cheers Beasty. My mam has a carer coming in in the morning. I think the service may be suspended at some stage, but then what happens to those on their own completely unless the HSE have some other plan at this stage? I hope they do.......

They may need to get these people into a nursing home of some discription. Possibly in a hotel that has been contracted to provide beds to the HSE

Problem is though what if any of the people calling in are infected but asymptomatic? Don't to frighten anyone here but I think its going to be an issue going forward. Many of these carers call to quite a few houses in the course of a day.

I’ve definitely thought about that. In my case 2 carers 3 times a day. Those 6 carers could all branch off to separate places meeting up with other carers who branch off.

Right now, I need them. Dad was meant to be in respite this weekend but we cancelled as the thought of what if meant we wouldn’t relax anyway. Few weeks back I posted that I really needed the break for my own mental health. That’s now past and it is what it is.

If the carers were cancelled we would manage. The clients who are on their own though. They need those carers to get them out of bed and to the toilet is who I’m worried for. They can’t be left in bed in a soiled state.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ordinary soap works. The lipids in soap breaks down the outer membrane of the virus.

Use soap where tap water is available. Use gel hand sanitiser and antibacterial wipes where tap water is not available (while shopping or going outside).
    A regular soap is as effective as an antibacterial soap killing bacteria and viruses. I chose a regular soap over 'antibacterial' one as the triclosan used in the later is not really good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Another baby boom is on the way here due to the equation more time at home+ condom stock untouch at every supermarket....

Sex toys are being panic bought, can't make babies with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,937 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

oopsies wrote: »
    Nearly everyone in our local Aldi and Lidl had brought their own gloves.

I haven't been using gloves in the supermarket this week but as soon I re-enter the house, I wash my hands with soap and hot water. I might switch to gloves from now on though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From family and friends it seems to be just a normal shopping day, some stocks lowish. Local shop had plenty of everything and most but not all staff wearing gloves. Not terribly busy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Just heard a big pub in Limerick city let go 20+ part staff as of today. And expects to be closing from Monday due to Covid19

Is a shame to hear but there will be more of it. Hopefully it will end up only being temporary layoff and they'll back in work when we come out the other side.

The banks have already stated that they will give short term holiday payments to people financially effected so that might mitigate the impact.

Plus if everyone is locked down in the next few days, you're not going to out and about spending as normal.

On the potential full lock down. I live in a rural area. Will I still be able to go out for a walk assuming I don't develop symptoms and need to isolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

YFlyer wrote: »
    Smyths?

Flannery's/13-14 on Catherine street

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Another baby boom is on the way here due to the equation more time at home+ condom stock untouch at every supermarket....

Catholic Ireland prefers the tried and trusted withdrawal method.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Sex toys are being panic bought, can't make babies with them.
    Also this virus was just a chinese issue few weeks ago...you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Closed cases Death rate = 7% as of today, trending positive

Unresolved cases can't be counted in until they have an outcome so let's stop trowing around the 3% legendary figure

Italy were the HSE system cant accommodate anymore people is seeing an even higher death rate

Then there are all those who may die indirectly due to this, if the HSE here were to be overwhelmed. The health care civil servants who advised Leo to take this approach were absolutely right. It will mean some people in this country will get precious more time with a loved one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Akrasia wrote: »
    They may need to get these people into a nursing home of some discription. Possibly in a hotel that has been contracted to provide beds to the HSE

ProblEm will remain the same though....any staff that would be caring for these people in such an arrangement will carry the same risk of bringing community borne Covid-19 in to the patients they would care for,(as Home helps currently looking after them in their homes)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

nthclare wrote: »
    My selfish post seemed to trigger a lot of people but I'm quite content with my decision to post it.

It shows that they didn't see the part where I hoped they'll be ok, the gannets and jocks etc
    They're just doing what they know best in any situation, drinking and huddling in a pandemic.

Hopefully your family in Holland will be ok

Your post is not selfish. It is frank and faces reality which is needful . Reality is different for each of us and we need to see what others face and choose

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Strazdas wrote: »
    I haven't been using gloves in the supermarket this week but as soon I re-enter the house, I wash my hands with soap and hot water. I might switch to gloves from now on though.

They had antibacterial spray and rolls of tissue outside our local Dunnes to wipe your trolley. No hand sanitizer though. Aldi didn’t have anything

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not just Trump-bashing, but a good illustration of someone not understanding that this was the beginning of something large and long-lasting.

x6WAmag.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Bono and Bob are currently recording
    Do They Know It’s Paddy’s Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

I lived through the NI troubles.
    I was in 3 different towns when bombs went off and killed people.
    My car was hit by bullets when passing through a checkpoint near Newry.
    I was in Dundalk in 1975 buying a pair of shoes when a bomb went off killing two people about 100 yards from me.
    I was kicked by a horse in a very sore spot,nearly gored by a bull once but jumped the gate just in time.
    I survived a very bad fatal car crash.
    I’m worse than Kate Adie was.

No Feckin virus is going to get the better of me now.

Did you teach Elvis Presley how to play karate too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Saturday 14th March.

UK / NHS reported Covid cases now 1,140

21 related deaths.

ROI / HSE reported Covid cases now 90

01 related death?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My work colleague in Madrid pinged me, they are proper locked down now, only Food shops are open and you can only go out to go to work or to food shop. He's a keen cyclist, cycling outdoors has been banned too, except for the work and food cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Back in November in a market in Wuhan somebody contracted the Corona Virus. I get exponential growth, but given the population and how close quarters I imagine Wuhan is, that virus must have spread faster than a wildfire where they throw gasoline on it to extinguish it. I find it highly improbable Europe did not receive the virus before January. I’d say impossible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Id say a lot of lads will have a right mop of hair after this unless their partners are barbers or they shave their heads anyways.

Well all be sporting the corona style, my mop grows fairly fast.

We'll all have a bohemian look about us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Xertz wrote: »
    The problem with this herd immunity idea is it’s more abstract theory from the Tories. The practical realities of it is that it could kill a huge number of people and utterly swamp the NHS which, would cause the deaths of a hell of a lot more unrelated cases who just can’t get access to care.

Yes, it's fine in theory, but it assumes they can safely cordon off vulnerable people so they don't get infected, and no-one knows how well that might work.
    Vulnerable people haven't been protected in Italy or Spain so far, which shows the difficulty and the risks if it goes wrong.

The plan means that anyone over 75 (70?, 65??) or with serious medical issues would need to stay home for 2-4 months or more from April/May to July/August/...
    A lot of effort would be needed to stop staff and visitors bringing it into nursing homes, and luck too because people can become infectious before the first symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I’ve definitely thought about that. In my case 2 carers 3 times a day. Those 6 carers could all branch off to separate places meeting up with other carers who branch off.

Right now, I need them. Dad was meant to be in respite this weekend but we cancelled as the thought of what if meant we wouldn’t relax anyway. Few weeks back I posted that I really needed the break for my own mental health. That’s now past and it is what it is.

If the carers were cancelled we would manage. The clients who are on their own though. They need those carers to get them out of bed and to the toilet is who I’m worried for. They can’t be left in bed in a soiled state.

Masks maybe will help?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is a shame to hear but there will be more of it. Hopefully it will end up only being temporary layoff and they'll back in work when we come out the other side.

The banks have already stated that they will give short term holiday payments to people financially effected so that might mitigate the impact.

Plus if everyone is locked down in the next few days, you're not going to out and about spending as normal.

On the potential full lock down. I live in a rural area. Will I still be able to go out for a walk assuming I don't develop symptoms and need to isolate?
    Yeah should be fine, just follow the usual precautions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,767 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I find it highly improbable Europe did not receive the virus before January. I’d say impossible.

Highly unlikely as it would have been detected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement